PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Contest

bcbrez
02-01-2011, 11:44 AM
I was wondering how many people would be interested in this and if we would be able to make a go of it on this site. I made it up last year as a compition between a couple of archery clubs in the WKs and it was pretty fun. So lets get an idea of how many people would be up for it and if anyone would be interested in donating an prizes.

HBC SPRING TURKEY CHALLENGE

YES it is getting close to turkey season and the time for chasing those birds is quickly approaching! So why not make it a little more interesting this year. We would like to start an annual event in which any members of HBC can join (nothing like a little healthy compition).

Rules:

1) Everyone who hunts turkey with legal equipment in the is eligible for entry into this contest including shotgun and archery equipment.

2) The contest will run April 15 – May 15. Pictures must be posted by 9:00 pm EST May 15 in order to count for points.

3) The team with the most points scored by its members will "win". The 1st place team will be awarded the HBC Turkey Hunt trophy for the year, and have the coveted title of HBC Turkey Champs for the 2011 season.

4) The N W T F scoring system will be used for scoring. Please note that if your bird has multiple beards that only the longest one will count and the same thing holds true for the rare multiple spur bird as well.

5) It is your responsibility to post your team # and name when checking in a bird.

6) Teams will be randomly assigned with 5 or10 members on each team depending on the amount of people signed up. Please sign up only if you really think you will turkey hunt in the spring of 2011. You have to enter a bird to be eligible for the draw (IF THERE ARE PRIZES DONATED). We will build teams of 5 or 10 people per team, using a computer program to randomly assign team members. Of course this works best if we get an even multiple of 10 people registered (10, 30, 40, 60, etc.). In the likely event we do not get an even multiple of 10 people (eg 17, 33, 52, 67, etc.), we will take the last several people who registered (by order of registration, beyond the last multiple of 10) and put them into the “last team”. The next several people to sign up on the official thread after “official registration” closes at 9:00 pm EST April 12 (assuming there are any who sign up late) will be placed into the “last team” in the order they sign up so that the “last team” can have a full roster of 5 or 10 hunters (this may not happen, in which case the “last team” will play shorthanded). These will be the only exceptions to the “official registration” deadline of 9:00 pm EST April 12 (we have to draw a line somewhere to make the administration of the contest manageable – this is not our full time job). If you miss the sign up for this year’s contest don’t worry – in less than a year you will be able to register for next year’s contest!

Again, we will not make substitutions for people who do not actively participate in their team (too much of an administrative headache) or later want to drop out, so be sure you are committed to participating in this before signing up. This is part of the luck of the draw.

7) A picture of your bird must be posted in the league play 2011 BC Turkey Contest check station thread, under the contest thread that will be started after teams are chosen.

8) Rules may be edited if needed and all decisions by the moderation staff helping with this contest are final.

9) If any prizes are donated by the hunting community a list of the companies and individuals donating prizes will be posted and updated as necessary. If you check in a bird you will be eligible for a random drawing of the prizes.

10) We will start threads in league play for each of the team members to check in. I encourage all teams to pm their team members to get them involved and prepped for the contest.

11) After your team comes up with a name please have one member post the team name in the Turkey Team Name Selection Thread. We will edit the team thread title and put the name into the official score sheet.

12) The final and most important rule is that you must have fun and enjoy every moment in the turkey woods this season!

Good luck and good hunting!

How to Score Your Wild Turkey
Before you begin to score your turkey, be sure to note that all measurements are taken in 1/16-inch increments and converted to decimal form. A current licensed hunter from the area where the bird was harvested must verify all measurements.
Step 1:
Weigh your bird in pounds and ounces and convert ounces to decimal form.

Step 2:
Measure each spur. Spurs must be measured along the outside center, from the point at which the spur protrudes from the scaled leg skin to the tip of the spur. Add both spur measurements and multiply the combined length of the spurs by 10. This is the number of points you receive for the turkey’s spurs.

Step 3:
Measure the beard length (a beard must be measured from the center point of the protrusion of the skin to the tip) and convert it to decimal form.
Next, multiply the beard length figure by 2; this is the number of points you receive for the beard length. If you have an atypical bird (multiple beards), measure each beard, convert them to a decimal number, then add those figures together and multiply by two. This is the number of points you receive for your turkey’s beards.

Step 4:
Add together the weight, the points for spurs and points for beard(s): This is the score you receive for your turkey.

You can calculate the score of your turkey with our scoring calculator (http://www.huntingbc.ca/all_about_turkeys/turkey_score.html).
Score calculator link.
http://www.nwtf.org/all_about_turkeys/turkey_score.html (http://www.nwtf.org/all_about_turkeys/turkey_score.html)
Although you may use the score calculator to figure out the final score of your bird, we ask that you post the weight and measurements of your bird with the picture.
Any question post BCBrez

bcbrez
02-01-2011, 01:12 PM
*note*- under rule 7 it says archery weapon. This is a mistake and it won't let me edit it. Just need a picture of you with the bird.

300H&H
02-01-2011, 11:14 PM
I wanna play !!!

I here by claim the team name of "THUNDER CHICKENS".

All you turkey nuts know me. I have a purdy good history huntn them burds.
So join my team and we will "rule the roost".

To make my hunt harder this year I will use my cross bow. :wink:

bcbrez
02-02-2011, 07:51 AM
I've got a few PM's of other people that are in as well. It would be nice to get enough for at least four teams. So spred the word to anyone you know on here that turkey hunts.

300H&H
02-02-2011, 10:03 AM
Talk to Huntwriter.

He is the guy who knows who hunts turkeys on HBC.

Oh, and I want him on my team. :wink:

beni
02-02-2011, 11:00 AM
I -hope- I will have time to join in on this. new job has me working 21/7

Im sure I will know by the deadline, and I could work something out with other potential teammates. Never have had a chance to hunt Turkeys, but it's on my To-Do list :D

bcbrez
02-03-2011, 09:28 PM
come on guys, I know there's more turkey hunters out there. I was thinking of maybe a spring bear contest too.

boothcreek
02-03-2011, 09:39 PM
Does it count if I turn my 8 yr old Merriam Wild tom loose and teach him to play dead at the sight of the bow :mrgreen: ? Just kidding..... I will however measure him up and see what he would score.

BTW: does it matter what type of wild turkey it is? Aka Eastern or Merriams? I have seen both and crosses of the 2 roaming the wood around here.

blackwater moose
02-03-2011, 10:10 PM
is this for wild turkeys only or will the ones i raise on the farm work?

coach
02-03-2011, 10:19 PM
I'll play - as long as I can be on 300H&H's team. It might be my best chance of getting him to take me out turkey hunting at long last...

SHAKER
02-04-2011, 04:54 PM
Sounds fun!

bcbrez
02-04-2011, 05:03 PM
Any kind of wild turkey will do with any kind of legal weapon. The teams will be random.

huntwriter
02-04-2011, 08:38 PM
Talk to Huntwriter.

He is the guy who knows who hunts turkeys on HBC.

Oh, and I want him on my team. :wink:

Usually I do not take part in such online "competitions" or post pictures of "trophies" in forums. However, since you twist my arm :mrgreen: and because I know that you're as serious about turkey hunting as I am I will say YES I am in you team.

I am pretty busy with seminars and promotional appearances right into April, so we will have to see where I can squeeze a few days in for turkey hunting. Maybe I will cancel my annual turkey hunt guiding trip to Alabama and instead do some hunting with you right here in BC.:wink:

"THUNDER CHICKENS" sounds good to me.:mrgreen:

bcbrez - I am willing to donate the first prize. It's a hand crafted turkey slate/glass call that has been built to my exact specifications. The body of the call is made from rosewood. It features a unique sound camber that gives the call the perfect sound. One side of the call is real slate and the other side features a custom made glass surface. The sales price of the call has been estimated at $250. This is the only call of its kind in existence. I also will throw a custom built hardwood striker in that is perfectly matched for the call.

I've used this call and striker only on turkey calling competitions and it has won me several prizes.

300H&H
02-05-2011, 10:55 AM
I'll play - as long as I can be on 300H&H's team. It might be my best chance of getting him to take me out turkey hunting at long last...

Oh...now I feel bad. :(

OK Sean...if we cant hunt your golf course I will take you out this spring.

300H&H
02-05-2011, 10:59 AM
Any kind of wild turkey will do with any kind of legal weapon. The teams will be random.

I just got my "wild turkey".....my team is winning...wooo hooo.

http://ferrebeekeeper.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/wild-turkey-distiller.jpg

huntwriter
02-05-2011, 12:29 PM
I just got my "wild turkey".....my team is winning...wooo hooo.

http://ferrebeekeeper.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/wild-turkey-distiller.jpg

That happens to be one of my favourite and not only because of the "Wild Turkey".

bcbrez
02-17-2011, 10:08 AM
Bump Back To The Top

bcbrez
02-17-2011, 10:32 AM
Ok we have fifteen people in so far and I know more that are going to sign up. Spread the word, it would be nice to get a couple dozen people in on this.

People so far;

bcbrez
300H&H
coach
SHAKER
huntwriter
BCsniper
Palmer
Dusty888
leatherlungs
grizzlybern
Champman96
Brez
mark
amphibious
.300WSMImpact!

It's a good way to meet some new hunting buddies, learn some new areas, and share some good tips.

What do you guys think would be good for team sizes so far;

bcbrez
02-24-2011, 08:25 AM
only a month and a half to go.

300H&H
02-26-2011, 02:56 PM
Has anyone tried this new call ?

http://www.basspro.com/Hunting-Decoys-Calls-Other-Turkey-Calls-Accessories/_/N-1z11cx3

The Kinght and Hale Fighting/Purr call.
Watch the demo on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1kevBDWcEw

SHAKER
02-26-2011, 11:10 PM
PM sent to you.... This looks like it could be fun. We need to get some action going here though.

huntwriter
02-27-2011, 08:08 AM
Has anyone tried this new call ?

http://www.basspro.com/Hunting-Decoys-Calls-Other-Turkey-Calls-Accessories/_/N-1z11cx3

The Kinght and Hale Fighting/Purr call.
Watch the demo on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1kevBDWcEw

The fighting Purr can be a good call to use, but it's not a call to be used often or in a regular calling sequence.

bcbrez
02-28-2011, 01:09 PM
PM sent to you.... This looks like it could be fun. We need to get some action going here though.

Derek the five guys you said that want to join are they HBC members and if they are what are their names so I can add PM them and get them on the list.

palmer
03-01-2011, 03:01 PM
Sign me up....I am watching 6 toms as we speak

300H&H
03-01-2011, 04:23 PM
Sign me up....I am watching 6 toms as we speak

Do you need some help to thin out the heard ? :wink:

bcbrez
03-01-2011, 04:26 PM
Ok we have seven people in so far and I know more that are going to sign up. Spread the word, it would be nice to get a couple dozen people in on this.

People so far;

bcbrez
300H&H
coach
SHAKER
huntwriter
BCsniper
Palmer
It's a good way to meet some new hunting buddies, learn some new areas, and share some good tips.

Palmer your signed up.

300H&H
03-07-2011, 12:29 AM
Try to PM Mark.
He likes to hunt turkeys.

SHAKER
03-08-2011, 05:52 PM
Derek the five guys you said that want to join are they HBC members and if they are what are their names so I can add PM them and get them on the list.

Trying to get them the rest of them on board. I might be able to get Tree Climber, We're still work'n out the details.

mark
03-08-2011, 11:07 PM
i should mention that I dont read any post longer than I can read without scrolling down, so I didnt read the details of the first post.
Ill play as long as I dont have to do anything other than shoot a turkey and post a pic!

meat eater
03-09-2011, 08:38 AM
do us new to turkey hunting guy's get a map of where to find turkey's? cause i know they aren't on my side of the mountain's.(or at least throw us on a seasoned veteran's team.

bcbrez
03-09-2011, 10:27 AM
do us new to turkey hunting guy's get a map of where to find turkey's? cause i know they aren't on my side of the mountain's.(or at least throw us on a seasoned veteran's team.

I'm sure if you had any questions you would get some help if you ask. Most of the people here don't have a problem with sharing a few tips and good places.

If your in let me know and I'll sign you up.

Dusty888
03-16-2011, 01:17 PM
Sign me up BCBrez

bcbrez
03-16-2011, 02:18 PM
Ok we have eight people in so far and I know more that are going to sign up. Spread the word, it would be nice to get a couple dozen people in on this.

People so far;

bcbrez
300H&H
coach
SHAKER
huntwriter
BCsniper
Palmer
Dusty888

Ok Dusty888 your in, good luck.

Anyone else?

leatherlungs
03-18-2011, 12:19 AM
I got a nice one last year so maybe i will get another one this year. Sign me up please.

bcbrez
03-18-2011, 10:12 AM
Ok we have nine people in so far and I know more that are going to sign up. Spread the word, it would be nice to get a couple dozen people in on this.

People so far;

bcbrez
300H&H
coach
SHAKER
huntwriter
BCsniper
Palmer
Dusty888
leatherlungs

leatherlungs your in. Good luck.

300H&H
03-18-2011, 06:13 PM
28 days to go

bcbrez
03-20-2011, 03:53 PM
Ok we have eleven people in so far and I know more that are going to sign up. Spread the word, it would be nice to get a couple dozen people in on this.

People so far;

bcbrez
300H&H
coach
SHAKER
huntwriter
BCsniper
Palmer
Dusty888
leatherlungs
grizzlybern
Champman96

Ok grizzlybern and Champman96 your in good luck.

Gateholio
03-20-2011, 04:08 PM
Just to be clear, this is not a HBC sanctioned contest. Doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with it, it looks like fun. But the HBC administration has nothing to do with setting it up or administering it.

bcbrez
03-20-2011, 07:56 PM
I would like to see if we could get this to be a HBC contest if someone would like to talk about how I would go about doing that please PM me.

bcbrez
03-23-2011, 06:51 AM
Anyone know who I should talk to about getting this to be an actual HBC annual contest. I think it would help to get more people involved and more prizes coming in.

Gateholio
03-23-2011, 08:13 AM
I do the HBC contests, but not interested in taking this one on, you are doing fine. I've got enough to do organizing the big game contests.:wink:

I just wanted to let people know it's not got anything to do with HBC administration, so don't ask us questions about it.:-D

bcbrez
03-28-2011, 03:32 PM
Only 15 more days to sign up. Anyone getting out there and finding their birds yet? I went out and located a group of 50 with 6 big toms. They could be hard to get close to with all those eyes looking out. I'll post a pic as soon as I find the cord for the camera.

300H&H
03-28-2011, 09:03 PM
Only 15 more days to sign up. Anyone getting out there and finding their birds yet? I went out and located a group of 50 with 6 big toms. They could be hard to get close to with all those eyes looking out. I'll post a pic as soon as I find the cord for the camera.

Wait a second.

Don't think for a minute your going without ME. :-D

With that many toms....were talking over population.

Time to thin the heard out.

Please send GPS co-ordinates or better yet just take me.

I promise to buy you Timmys before we go out. :mrgreen:

uraarchr
03-28-2011, 09:14 PM
I'd love to;but I don't know any turkey areas.I've seen a few(some years ago by wasa and one towards rock cr)but when I got out last spring I didnt see any.Now have pop-up blind a couple calls and a primos hen.My 8 1/2 yr old would love to get out w me where we'd actually see some while hunting.If anyone could steer me in the right direction(Vernon towards Grand Forks or a bit farther) I'd love to try to get one w my bow.He's been practicing w his new bow and only has a yr 1/2 to go b4 he can hunt.If I knew a place where I'd even see one hunting I'd b signin up.Thanks for any info.

bcbrez
03-29-2011, 09:47 AM
Ok got some pics to get the blood going. I count 55 in one of the pics.

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g456/bcbrez/DSCN0437-1.jpg

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g456/bcbrez/DSCN0438-1-1.jpg

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g456/bcbrez/DSCN0441.jpg

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g456/bcbrez/DSCN0440.jpg

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g456/bcbrez/DSCN0439.jpg

Anyone else have any pics?

WesHarm
03-29-2011, 10:00 AM
u made me salivate....

bcbrez
03-30-2011, 09:33 AM
Ok we have twelve people in so far and I know more that are going to sign up. Spread the word, it would be nice to get a couple dozen people in on this.

People so far;

bcbrez
300H&H
coach
SHAKER
huntwriter
BCsniper
Palmer
Dusty888
leatherlungs
grizzlybern
Champman96
Brez

-4 teams of 3
-3 teams of 4
-2 teams of 6

I'm leaning towards (3 of 4) or (2 of 6). It would be nice to get enough people for (3 of 5).

Brez your signed up.

lovemywinchester
03-30-2011, 09:41 AM
Is turkey hunting in BC as hard as it is in Ontario? The big toms in Ontario are so smart they hang around downtown where no one can shoot them.

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l573/zippogold/turk2.jpg

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l573/zippogold/turkeytown.jpg

bcbrez
03-30-2011, 10:08 AM
Thats funny. Last year on the way back from turkey hunting I was stopped at a red light and something caught my eye. I looked over at a big tom strutting in the parking lot of a motel down town. That was a bit of a slap in the face after hunting all morning and coming back empty handed.

huntwriter
03-30-2011, 09:32 PM
Is turkey hunting in BC as hard as it is in Ontario? The big toms in Ontario are so smart they hang around downtown where no one can shoot them.

Generally speaking the Eastern Wild Turkey, that's the subspecies you have in Ontario, are the "smartest" of all turkeys and therefore the hardest to hunt. Conversely the Merriam's Wild Turkey, the subspecies here in BC, is considered the "dumbest" of all turkey species, but make no mistake they are not a cakewalk either.

bcbrez
03-30-2011, 09:43 PM
Ok we have thirteen people in so far and I know more that are going to sign up. Spread the word, it would be nice to get a couple dozen people in on this.

People so far;

bcbrez
300H&H
coach
SHAKER
huntwriter
BCsniper
Palmer
Dusty888
leatherlungs
grizzlybern
Champman96
Brez
mark

-4 teams of 3
-3 teams of 4
-2 teams of 6

I'm leaning towards (3 of 4) or (2 of 6). It would be nice to get enough people for (3 of 5).

mark your signed up.

Amphibious
03-30-2011, 10:37 PM
sounds like fun. I'll be poking around some turkey-ish areas for bear this spring, put me on the list if you like.

bcbrez
03-31-2011, 07:00 AM
Ok we have fourteen people in so far and I know more that are going to sign up. Spread the word, it would be nice to get a couple dozen people in on this.

People so far;

bcbrez
300H&H
coach
SHAKER
huntwriter
BCsniper
Palmer
Dusty888
leatherlungs
grizzlybern
Champman96
Brez
mark
amphibious

Amphibious, you are signed up.

.300WSMImpact!
03-31-2011, 07:16 AM
I am in, I am planning on getting out as much as I can, and my calling is getting well I wouldn't say good but I might fool one,

bcbrez
03-31-2011, 07:26 AM
Ok we have fifteen people in so far and I know more that are going to sign up. Spread the word, it would be nice to get a couple dozen people in on this.

People so far;

bcbrez
300H&H
coach
SHAKER
huntwriter
BCsniper
Palmer
Dusty888
leatherlungs
grizzlybern
Champman96
Brez
mark
amphibious
.300WSMImpact!

Ok .300WSMImpact! or in. That makes fifteen. Looking like three teams of five so far. Should be good.
Spread the word, only twelve days left to sign up.

Brez
03-31-2011, 05:00 PM
Huntwriter, are you from Ontario?
URAARCHR - Anywhere from Greenwood to Christina Lake has oodles - look lower elevations, south facing, where the snow is gone so's they can scratch for food

huntwriter
03-31-2011, 08:09 PM
Huntwriter, are you from Ontario?
No I am not from Ontario. But I am heavily involved in wild turkey conservation both here in Canada and the USA. Hence why I know what subspecies resides where.

URAARCHR - Anywhere from Greenwood to Christina Lake has oodles - look lower elevations, south facing, where the snow is gone so's they can scratch for foodTrue that but there are also oodles of hunters. in fact you will run into more hunters than turkeys. Be careful around Christina Lake, not everybody that carries a gun and wears camouflage is a hunter, some of them are more of the type "shoot at anything that moves."

mark
03-31-2011, 08:18 PM
True that but there are also oodles of hunters. in fact you will run into more hunters than turkeys. Be careful around Christina Lake, not everybody that carries a gun and wears camouflage is a hunter, some of them are more of the type "shoot at anything that moves."

LMAO....lots of road hunters yes!
Ive been hunting there for 5 years....never see anyone in the bush, ever!
Never been shot at either!

proguide66
03-31-2011, 08:18 PM
I'm in if hunting them in Alabama and Texas is ok...using a bow to,leaving this weekend...and have a freind down there who is on here and will want in to.

300H&H
03-31-2011, 08:45 PM
For anyone that is going to hunt in more than one region and gets more than one bird please post them both even though only the biggest will score you points.

Brez your signed up.

FYI....ONLY 1 turkey in the spring and 1 in the fall. Consult BC regs for your area.

300H&H
03-31-2011, 08:46 PM
How will the scoring be done for this contest ?

uraarchr
04-01-2011, 07:07 AM
Thanks BREZ .I'll probably make 2 trips down there.First will b 4 the day.Second will b ovrnight with the trailer.And will have my 8 yr old with.Sign me up!

BCsniper
04-01-2011, 07:49 AM
Hey Bcbrez,

Mrs. BCsniper is also going to join in the shenanigan's. If you put her on another team and she shoots a very nice turkey, do the rules allow for her to be left in the bush and for a certain someone to take the bird out and claim it as his own? Ok, lets say she doesn't shoot a bird but is left in the bush... hahaha.

She will sign up on the forum later this weekend. Are you splitting the teams up with experienced and inexperienced hunters? New hunter who is excited to shoot a turkey because they are not cute bambi's! :D And I am a first time turkey hunter.

Andy83
04-01-2011, 07:07 PM
I'll join. This is the first year I will hunt hard for turkeys. I'm pretty new to it. Should be fun!

huntwriter
04-01-2011, 08:52 PM
How will the scoring be done for this contest ?

I've that same question. The best way to do this would be to apply the NWTF trophy measuring rules, but I am up for any decent idea.

meat eater
04-01-2011, 09:01 PM
i would love to be taken on a turkey hunt if anyone needs a partner! i work a 4x4 shift and live in merritt so if anyone near kelowna or surrounding area needs a partner let me know!!

300H&H
04-02-2011, 10:50 AM
Will the scoring be done be done by team ?
So if 5 people are on a team, and they get 3 birds, do they get 3 points ?
Also, the point about new turkey hunters being taken out by experienced hunters.
I would be happy to do that but if you have a guy from the coast and he is on a team with someone from the Kootanys, may not work.
So maybe the way to go would be, each person hunts on their own. But is on a team.

FYI...I will be happy to take anyone who I am teamed up with out. I will do the calling if your new to turkey hunting, but you buy the Timmys coffee.

300H&H
04-02-2011, 10:53 AM
I've that same question. The best way to do this would be to apply the NWTF trophy measuring rules, but I am up for any decent idea.

This maybe the most accurate way.
Or by volume. One bird one point for that team.

.300WSMImpact!
04-02-2011, 11:53 AM
Will the scoring be done be done by team ?
So if 5 people are on a team, and they get 3 birds, do they get 3 points ?
Also, the point about new turkey hunters being taken out by experienced hunters.
I would be happy to do that but if you have a guy from the coast and he is on a team with someone from the Kootanys, may not work.
So maybe the way to go would be, each person hunts on their own. But is on a team.

FYI...I will be happy to take anyone who I am teamed up with out. I will do the calling if your new to turkey hunting, but you buy the Timmys coffee.

I hope I am on your team, got my calls going and am getting ok at them, I am going to be making a trip or two to the west koots, but any other help, info, or just meeting up with other good people would be great,

SHAKER
04-02-2011, 01:45 PM

Watch out your you might get pinched for guiding if you accept a coffee for your services.... LOL

Seriously though, this is going to be fun! lets get them teams drawn up soon so we can maybe make some plans with each other if we want.

.300WSMImpact!
04-02-2011, 05:30 PM
well bottom line I have the tent trailer all geared up for the 15th I am going somewhere

300H&H
04-03-2011, 09:51 AM
I hope I am on your team, got my calls going and am getting ok at them, I am going to be making a trip or two to the west koots, but any other help, info, or just meeting up with other good people would be great,

Sounds like your ready. Good for you.
I live in Kelowna so if you live here or are passing thru just PM me and we can meet for a beer or Timmys.
This contest might just be alot of fun.
I will be out 15/16/17 unless Dad & I limit on our toms.

Watch out your you might get pinched for guiding if you accept a coffee for your services.... LOL

Seriously though, this is going to be fun! lets get them teams drawn up soon so we can maybe make some plans with each other if we want.

Gee...I hope I don't get caught.
I wear a lot of camo so no one can see me.

shallowH2O
04-03-2011, 10:07 AM
i'll be making the trip down from the north to try and fling some sticks at those bearded devils for 4-5 days opening weekend......sign me up!

300H&H
04-03-2011, 10:46 AM
Here is a link to the NWTF.
It will take you to real turkey calls.
Lets see how close you get to the real thing.

http://www.nwtf.org/all_about_turkeys/calling_tips.html

bcbrez
04-04-2011, 08:24 AM
FYI....ONLY 1 turkey in the spring and 1 in the fall. Consult BC regs for your area.

Yeah thanks I checked that out after I had said that, edit coming.

bcbrez
04-04-2011, 10:09 AM
Ok we are getting more people signing up and the season is getting closer.
We are up to 21 hunters and I'm waiting on a few replies still.

People so far;

bcbrez
300H&H
coach
SHAKER
huntwriter
BCsniper
Palmer
Dusty888
leatherlungs
grizzlybern
Champman96
Brez
mark
amphibious
.300WSMImpact!

Added to the list are;
uraarchr
Andy83
shallowH2O
braggadoe
triggr31
Mrs.BCsniper (waiting on official HBC sign up)

Good luck.

As for the scoring it will be done using the NWTF scoring system as stated one page 1 at the bottem of the rules. There is a link to the scoring calculator there.
Step 4:
Add together the weight, the points for spurs and points for beard(s): This is the score you receive for your turkey.

You can calculate the score of your turkey with our scoring calculator (http://www.huntingbc.ca/all_about_turkeys/turkey_score.html).
Score calculator link.
http://www.nwtf.org/all_about_turkeys/turkey_score.html (http://www.nwtf.org/all_about_turkeys/turkey_score.html)
Although you may use the score calculator to figure out the final score of your bird, we ask that you post the weight and measurements of your bird with the picture.

The teams will be made up on April 12th and it will be completely random. It would be to much of a headache to try to team up new and experienced hunters within the same team and hunting areas.

proguide66 as for hunting in the USA. You can only enter one bird in the contest and as long as you get it between April 15 and May 15 ( the contest dates ) I don't see any problem as long as it's hunted legally.

If anyone is interested in donating any prizes please let me know. We have a couple but it would be nice to have enough to give prizes for the winning team, the biggest bird and maybe some hidden scores too.

Can't wait to see some pics and stories coming in.

bcbrez
04-04-2011, 10:27 AM
What are you guys using for calls and decoys?
Anyone have any home made decoys? post some pics.

Springer
04-04-2011, 12:01 PM
Heres having some fun with our decoy on our Alberta Turkey hunt. We placed it here for amusement for the Road hunters...
http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp189/Springer428/DSCN1727.jpg
I have a slate and Box call. I also have a diaphragm call but never used it.

proguide66
04-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Well , we are hunting them right now...but weather system coming in and they all shut up....so we went baiting for wild boars and night vision scopes instead..:twisted:..we will be too early for the contest , but I will post some pics and video anyway once we get some luck.

bcbrez
04-04-2011, 12:45 PM
Well , we are hunting them right now...but weather system coming in and they all shut up....so we went baiting for wild boars and night vision scopes instead..:twisted:..we will be too early for the contest , but I will post some pics and video anyway once we get some luck.

Sounds good, looking forward to some pics and hearing more about the hog hunt.

Good luck.

triggr31
04-04-2011, 09:57 PM
I def will be in !!!!!!!!!! gobble gobbble

bcbrez
04-04-2011, 10:14 PM
I def will be in !!!!!!!!!! gobble gobbble

triggr31 your in

triggr31
04-04-2011, 11:12 PM
whoa mark ive hunted in the bush for them in christina lake lots of turkeys but very wary

triggr31
04-04-2011, 11:14 PM
yahooooooo cant wait some of the most exciting hunting ive done . only comparable thing is an elk screaming at you from twenty yards . that gobble at twenty yards will still make hair stand up on your back . ive harvested three in my life and cant wait for the next one.

braggadoe
04-05-2011, 05:26 AM
What are you guys using for calls and decoys?
Anyone have any home made decoys? post some pics.

being a bama boy i've always liked "heart of dixie" mouth calls. i worry that most of the mouthcalls we get up here are old stock and been on the shelf to long. i buy fresh every year and keep them in the fridge. dixie devastator is my favourite.

aluminium slate made by M.A.D with a variety of wood and plastic stickers is probably my go-to call.

primos "battle ship" boat paddle box call seems to work well for merriamams. haven't had much luck with it on the easterns but works great up here.

i can owl hoot and crow call extremely loud with just my voice.

as for decoys, i think there overrated. they work well on all the videos. but it seems for me there just a pain to carry around. they seem to spook them more often, could be just me. i wish i had a road killed hen that was mounted. i think that would work better than the plastic ones.

the most effective call for me is no call at all. just scratching the leaves with my hand. scratch-scratch-srcatch pause scratch-scratch-scratch pause. sounds like a hen feeding. that's topsecrect don't tell anyone!

weather forecast is calling for a crappy opening few days. hope it changes

what's every one else using?
good luck and be safe out there!

huntwriter
04-06-2011, 06:00 PM
primos "battle ship" boat paddle box call seems to work well for merriamams. haven't had much luck with it on the easterns but works great up here.
It has nothing to do with your call and even less with the brand you're using. The reason why you "haven't had much luck" with eastern wild turkey is quite simple. The eastern wild turkey is the "smartest" turkey subspecies. In addition to that in midwest and southern states turkeys are under a lot more hunting pressure then the Merriam's here in BC or elsewhere ever will be. Merriam's are also more "gullible" than eastern turkey.

as for decoys, i think there overrated. they work well on all the videos. but it seems for me there just a pain to carry around. they seem to spook them more often, could be just me. i wish i had a road killed hen that was mounted. i think that would work better than the plastic ones.Decoys are good. It's the hunters that overate decoys by thinking that they are a do-all strategy to bring toms in. Decoys are only one small part of a well planed and executed overall hunting strategy. Set up at the wrong location, or deploy the decoys at the wrong place and they will be useless. Conversely, do everything right and decoys can be the ticket to convince a tom to make the few extra steps to bring him into shotgun range.

the most effective call for me is no call at all. just scratching the leaves with my hand. scratch-scratch-srcatch pause scratch-scratch-scratch pause. sounds like a hen feeding. that's topsecrect don't tell anyone!That is a very good trick, specially in places where turkeys have become call shy. I use the scratch tactic often alone or in combination with content clucks and yelps. It adds realism to the set up.

braggadoe
04-06-2011, 07:13 PM
Right on huntwriter!! those are just the calls i use, i'm not saying there the best or anything like that. it's just the ones i've grown to like. i'm not big on decoys but i'm sure there good for others. just couldn't be bothered to carry them around. every year new products come out, most work. it's kind of a marketing thing to keep us buying new gear every year.

the most gullible turkey i've hunted was rio's in Hawaii. i don't think subspecies makes one turkey smarter than another. it has more to do with predators. the more predators(human or animal) the smarter the bird. the dumb ones don't last long. no predators to speak of in hawaii, so the turkeys often roosted very low to the ground. some times just a few feet up and you could call them up, spook them, then call them up again and again.

what are some of you tricks that you would be willing to share on this private forum..... guess i should of went to your clinic

huntwriter
04-06-2011, 09:15 PM
...i don't think subspecies makes one turkey smarter than another. it has more to do with predators. the more predators(human or animal) the smarter the bird. the dumb ones don't last long. no predators to speak of in hawaii, so the turkeys often roosted very low to the ground. some times just a few feet up and you could call them up, spook them, then call them up again and again.

Of course you're right about predators and such, however, there are particular character traits if you will between the various turkey subspecies. Even in controlled situations (no hunters and no natural predators) the eastern wild turkey is more alert and suspicious then the Merriam's are.

what are some of you tricks that you would be willing to share on this private forum..... guess i should of went to your clinic

Let me ask you back. What do you want to know? The things I do and tricks I use could fill a book. In fact I've written in a book, it's just not published yet. :)

braggadoe
04-07-2011, 02:12 AM
wow huntwriter, i was just responding to bcbrez post on what calls/decoys everyone one was using. i really could careless what eastern turkeys do in controlled environments. there aren't any in british columbia. F.Y.I

good luck with the book

bcbrez
04-08-2011, 02:15 PM
Well for a little extra incentive to go for that big tom this year we have had a couple of prizes donated to the contest.

Similkameen wildlife studio's will be donating a turkey fan mount to one of the winners! Just need your tail and beard and I"ll take care of the rest.
Please get your bird in the freezer as fast as possible, they can turn quickly in the heat.

Huntwriter is going to donate a prize as well. It's a hand crafted turkey slate/glass call that has been built to his exact specifications. The body of the call is made from rosewood. It features a unique sound camber that gives the call the perfect sound. One side of the call is real slate and the other side features a custom made glass surface. The sales price of the call has been estimated at $250. This is the only call of its kind in existence. He also will throw a custom built hardwood striker in that is perfectly matched for the call.

So once the teams are made and anymore prizes are donated I will come up with what the prizes will be awarded for. Biggest bird will be one for sure.

Good luck guys it's getting close.

braggadoe
04-08-2011, 03:52 PM
great job bcbrez on doing all the leg work, i hope you get rewarded with some great hunts!

super thanks to similkameen and huntwriter for the cool prizes!

good luck to all in the contest and everyone else who'll be enjoying spring at it's best!

hunt safe!

OutWest
04-08-2011, 04:45 PM
I'd love to join. I'm the only member of our hunting group on HBC but we always knock a few longbeards down. This should be real fun!

SHAKER
04-08-2011, 05:56 PM
I've just finished up my full strut Tom from last year..... I'll tell you now they're no fun to do! but I am going to up the stakes a bit on the fan mount. I'm willing to do a full mount bird as well as the fan, just cover material costs! How's that for some incentive?

FYI I've been scratch'n, cluck'n, purr'n all day in the shop! Bring on the birds.

.300WSMImpact!
04-08-2011, 07:09 PM
I've just finished up my full strut Tom from last year..... I'll tell you now they're no fun to do! but I am going to up the stakes a bit on the fan mount. I'm willing to do a full mount bird as well as the fan, just cover material costs! How's that for some incentive?

FYI I've been scratch'n, cluck'n, purr'n all day in the shop! Bring on the birds.

How much are costs?

braggadoe
04-08-2011, 07:13 PM

sweeeet!!! you rock!!

SHAKER
04-08-2011, 07:38 PM
Depends on how you want to option your bird out. Synthetic head base model bird your look'n at around $125 in parts. Full load bird with freeze dried head your look'n around the $200 mark! These are estimates but should be pretty close.

.300WSMImpact!
04-08-2011, 09:23 PM
Depends on how you want to option your bird out. Synthetic head base model bird your look'n at around $125 in parts. Full load bird with freeze dried head your look'n around the $200 mark! These are estimates but should be pretty close.

cool thanks!!

bcbrez
04-08-2011, 10:45 PM
Awsome Shaker. That's great. Thanks for supporting the contest so much. I know I'll be gunning for a big old tom now.

bcbrez
04-09-2011, 04:52 PM

Shaker do you have any pictures of your mounted tom? I'd love to see some.

bcbrez
04-09-2011, 05:03 PM
Ok we have two more on the list. That makes 23.

nickroth89 and Springer have joined the contest. Good luck guys.

List so far;

People so far;

bcbrez
300H&H
coach
SHAKER
huntwriter
BCsniper
Palmer
Dusty888
leatherlungs
grizzlybern
Champman96
Brez
mark
amphibious
.300WSMImpact!
uraarchr
Andy83
shallowH2O
braggadoe
triggr31
Mrs.BCsniper (waiting on official HBC sign up)
nickroth89
Springer

Teams will be made up on the 12th and I'll PM everyone to make sure their still in.

braggadoe
04-10-2011, 07:49 AM

hey shaker

wondering if i can come up with a road killed hen(not sure if it's legal, but i'll find out). could you mount it? no legs, just a metal decoy stake.
thanks

.300WSMImpact!
04-10-2011, 05:08 PM
so when are we making these teams? I am getting excited to see who I am paired with, I am also getting excited that it is only 5 days left, cant wait!

bcbrez
04-10-2011, 05:39 PM
Ok ang_brez your on the list. That makes 24.

People so far;

bcbrez
300H&H
coach
SHAKER
huntwriter
BCsniper
Palmer
Dusty888
leatherlungs
grizzlybern
Champman96
Brez
mark
amphibious
.300WSMImpact!
uraarchr
Andy83
shallowH2O
braggadoe
triggr31
Mrs.BCsniper
nickroth89
Springer
ang_brez

Teams will be made up on the 12th and I'll PM everyone to make sure their still in.
Only a couple more days left to sign up, and only five till opening day.

SHAKER
04-10-2011, 06:52 PM
I'm on an old borrowed computer and am gratefull I can even get on here to chat with you guys. As far as pics of the bird? camera program isn't on this unit so I'm not real sure how to do it but I try and get my Dad to help me out with it.... been fighting an ugly flu right now so he's avoiding me. Don't worry though even if I got to pack a case TP with me I'm still off on thursday morning.

As far as the hen decoy? Not sure about the legalities of it but I could definatly do a decoy for ya. PM me for more info though.

300H&H
04-11-2011, 06:22 PM
I went out Sat. am to do some scouting.
Found the roost but its beside the road and privet land.
I asked for permission but it had been given to a friend for this year.

Area #2 looks promising.
2 Guys on quads came down the road and said they saw 6 turkeys.
So I went to the area and found what looks like the roost but the under brush was so thick I could not get in to check.
This will be the area I can take a team member.
I think it will be good.

There is still some snow stopping me from checking all my spots so I'll do it next week.
I did find a heavy 5 point WT shed, but it was too chewed to keep.
Oh...and about 10 beer cans.
Kept them all.

mark
04-11-2011, 10:42 PM
Quo regarding the weighing part of the scoring???? Whats the best and fairest way to weigh the bird???? Fish scales??

bcbrez
04-11-2011, 10:43 PM
Ok I had to make the teams early because I won't have time to do it tomorrow. I have also created threads for each team to talk to each other and post pictures. The name of the threads will be Turkey Contest Team #1, #2, #3 and #4 until each team has come up with it's own name. There is another thread called 2011 Spring Turkey Contest Scores where I will keep track of the team scores and you can post the picture of your bird with it's score.

So here's the teams:

TEAM #1;

Palmer
coach
bcbrez
300H&H
leatherlungs
Mrs.BCsniper

TEAM #2

shallowH2O
SHAKER
triggr31
Braggadoe
Nickroth89
uraarchr

TEAM #3

huntwriter
Champman96
Mark
redlady
.300WSMImpact!
BCsniper

TEAM #4

Dusty888
Grizzlybern
Brez
ang_brez
Andy83
Amphibious

Good luck guys and I hope to see some good pictures and hear some good stories.

SHAKER
04-12-2011, 08:47 AM
picture as promissed....... this bird was shot twice with 3 1\2'rs and tumbled around 75 yards down hill, so feather beating and loss was a serious issue!
http://i51.tinypic.com/2n0999s.jpg

bcbrez
04-12-2011, 08:55 AM
Sweet, I want one. Guess I'll be gunning for a big boy this year.

grizzlybern
04-12-2011, 10:33 AM
redlady has joined and would like to enter turkey contest

bcbrez
04-12-2011, 10:37 AM
Ok redlady your in. You will be on team #3, replacing Springer.

SHAKER
04-12-2011, 01:03 PM
Sweet, I want one. Guess I'll be gunning for a big boy this year.

This is a bare bones \ no options bird. Sorry for the crappy pic and I do appologize for him not being a prime look'n as he should be. He was kind of a mess. Forgot the ugly quad ride he had to go on as well as the 2km pack out of the bush.

mark
04-12-2011, 10:02 PM
Just a note to any first time turkey hunters!
So many people out there road hunt for them like grouse.
By doing this, you are ripping yourself off on the "turkey hunt experience"
Same with sniping them at long range......take the time, call one in close and blast him!

You will be very glad you did! trust me!

Its not really a meat hunt, its an awesome, fun experience!

bcbrez
04-13-2011, 05:01 AM
Good advice mark. Don't ruin a good hunt by just trying to fluke out.

bcbrez
04-13-2011, 05:14 AM
Ok I got a PM late yesterday from command,who joined the contest. So I will just be adding him on to a random team, or to the one with the least experienced team later today. Unless the teams wanted to bid on the extra player....whats he worth to ya.

braggadoe
04-13-2011, 05:47 AM
great advice, also don't try to "outsmart another hunter". if someone is already working a bird, or if you think some one is, they probably are. move on, find another one there are plenty out there. if your setup on a bird and another hunter is moving in, owl hoot back at the other guy/gal a couple of times letting them know that your there. hopefully they'll move on. hunt safe, have fun!

OutWest
04-13-2011, 09:42 AM
Just a note to any first time turkey hunters!
So many people out there road hunt for them like grouse.
By doing this, you are ripping yourself off on the "turkey hunt experience"
Same with sniping them at long range......take the time, call one in close and blast him!

You will be very glad you did! trust me!

Its not really a meat hunt, its an awesome, fun experience!

You're spot on, Mark. It's quite the rush and I rank the excitement level right up there with calling in a bull elk. Having that Tom gobble at you from in close really sends chills down your spine!

triggr31
04-13-2011, 03:37 PM
who is in my group which is #2

bcbrez
04-13-2011, 04:28 PM

Page 11 has the teams on it and each team has their own thread. Yours is called Turkey Contest Team #2.

SHAKER
04-13-2011, 06:24 PM

Your in with me so smack a big o'l bugger!

.300WSMImpact!
04-13-2011, 06:49 PM
Your in with me so smack a big o'l bugger!

trigger only shoots dink bucks, so you chances there are small,

SHAKER
04-14-2011, 07:42 AM
LOL....... this seems to be a great contest so far. Pretty friendly attmosphear. Good luck boys I'M GONE!

bcbrez
04-14-2011, 08:09 AM
Team #1 has taken the name Thunder Chickens. Still waiting for the other teams to PM
me with their new team names. Come on guys get creative.

bcbrez
04-25-2011, 08:14 AM
Anyone get out on the weekend? I was at our achery shoot all weekend so haven't been by the computer.

braggadoe
04-25-2011, 04:34 PM
went out on tuesday afternoon and hunted until sunday afternoon. the first few days where rainy snowy but got into some birds despite the crappy weather. set up the double bull and some decoys and had some pretty good action but once again a hen came right up to investigate the decoys. two long beards where hanging back about 80 yards. the hen spooked and the gobblers just walked away. i had two hens and a jake out, i just don't get the results like you see on the videos. i rarely use decoys but the weather was so bad i had to sit in the blind. i'm pretty sure that had not had any decoys out they would of just feed by within bow range. next year i'll have some taxi decoys instead of plastic.

then it got pretty nice out and i was able to roost birds every night, but each morning i had my hunt ruined by other hunters. i knew exactly where they roosted(gobbling the evening before) so i let very early and parked as close as i dare in a very visible spot in the complete darkness. come gobbling time the birds where hot! then came the other hunters most kept driving on but several guys parked behind my truck on down the road a couple hundred yards. i treid every thing i know to let them know i was there but it didn't matter they kept coming. ****ing dicks. on sunday there where 3 trucks parked within eyesight of my truck. if your the guy with a brown suv and gobble box that you rattle every 2 minutes. your an idiot! you spooked more birds in 3 days than most do in lifetime. do us all a favour and loose the gobble box.

the afternoon's where good once everybody left, had 3 very good chances with long beards within bow range just scratching and no calling but was unable to get a shot away.

hope to hit it again on wedsday, maybe tuesday if i can get away a little early.

hope everybody else is having as much fun as i am! even the brown suv guy, please get ride of the gobble box, it sounds so bad! the turkey's just tuck and run every time you use it.

bcbrez
05-02-2011, 10:23 AM
Ok I have donated some prizes myself towards the contest.
Five prize bundles of;

A Petzle LED head lamp,
Bass Pro Shop beer cozy,
Turkey fridge magnet,
and a Klein knife sharpener.

Also I picked up a dash mount bobble head turkey as a hidden weight prize.

P&R Archery has also donated a PSE archery hat for best bird with archery equipment.

Come on guys lets see some more birds hit the ground.

bcbrez
05-02-2011, 10:38 AM
Contest Prizes;

Biggest Bird- a full mount bird, just cover material costs!- Donated by Similkameen wildlife studio's.
Please get your bird in the freezer as fast as possible, they can turn quickly in the heat.

Second Biggest Bird- turkey fan mount! Just need your tail and beard and I"ll take care of the rest.- Donated by Similkameen wildlife studio's.

A hand crafted turkey slate/glass call. The body of the call is made from rosewood. It features a unique sound camber that gives the call the perfect sound. One side of the call is real slate and the other side features a custom made glass surface. The sales price of the call has been estimated at $250. This is the only call of its kind in existence. Also a custom built hardwood striker in that is perfectly matched for the call.- Donated by Huntwriter

Five prize bundles of;

A Petzle LED head lamp,
Bass Pro Shop beer cozy,
Turkey fridge magnet,
and a Klein knife sharpener.- Donated by BCBrez

Hidden weight prize- Dash mount bobble head turkey.- Donated by BCBrez

Best bird with archery equipment- A PSE archery hat.- Donated by P&R Archery

300H&H
05-04-2011, 06:32 AM
Some great prizes. Thanks to everyone who donated.