PDA

View Full Version : Heading over to Haida Gwaii for a deer hunt and steelhead Fish

hunter__69
02-01-2011, 12:14 AM
Hey all, new to the site and hope to learn and share info and experiences. Just some info for any who may want to venture over to the islands some day during the winter months. Here is a brief breakdown of my costs. Underhight/underlength truck and 2 passengers from Prince Rupert to Skidagate is 355.00 round trip. We are staying at The Golden Spruce Motel. 5 nights accommodation will be 480.00. They have a shed for hanging deer as well as a laundry facilty and restaurant, but only serve breakfast. There are kitchenettes as well as other rooms available. We always bring our own grub but we also go out to the pub for a dinner out as well. When I learn how to navigate through this site better I'll post some pictures of the hunt and the landscape, as well as some steelhead photo's. We head over on the 7th.
Cheers

hunter1947
02-01-2011, 04:00 AM
Welcome to the site sounds like you are going to have a fantastic trip when you do get a few animals and steel head would like to see the pictures of them ,good luck http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

fearnodeer
02-01-2011, 07:01 AM
Welcome ive spent alot of time up there working on fishing lodges and the deer are just nuts up there, have also seen by chopper the biggest black bear i've ever seen and am told that thats were to hunt for these giants. Steelhead fishing is awsome as well.

Camp Cook
02-01-2011, 08:06 AM
I used to hunt a lot in the Queen Charlotte Islands the deer there are called Sitka Blacktail and are the best tasting/tenderest deer meat I have ever eaten...

I am totally envious of your trip and do not forget to bring a fawn bleat/distress mouth call you will be amazed how these deer respond to it.

I first saw these bleats used by a local that took me out hunting a few times his feet hadn't even hit the ground as he was getting out of the truck before he was blowing on it.

naes
02-01-2011, 09:12 AM
Sounds great please post pictures. My Dad went Steelheading there one year and loved it!