PDA

View Full Version : Rangefinding Binoculars

pushbush
01-31-2011, 08:16 PM
Looking for the pros and cons and actual usage. Binoculars and a Rangefinder vs rangefinding binoculars

The Hermit
02-01-2011, 12:27 AM
Had at the Leica Geovids and loved them... until I compared them to the KOWA Genesis binos. Then went and bought a Leica rangefinder. It is more important to me to see at low light than to know how far something is, especially when bowhunting! ;-)

brad ferris
02-01-2011, 02:33 AM
Having one piece of equipment around my neck instead of two is a huge advantage. The only disadvantage to the geovids is they put the button on the wrong side for a right handed bowhunter.
I used to have separate bins and rangefinder but I'll never go back.

TriggerMag
02-01-2011, 06:27 AM
It sounds great having one piece of equipment instead of two, but happens when the rangefinder stops working and you have to send it in for repair, now you have lost both your Binos and your Rangefinder.

Fosey
02-01-2011, 11:30 AM
I used my clients Leica with the Rangefinder for 2 weeks last year and was impressed especially with the Rangefinder. BUT we got into two different groups of Rams at less than 200 yds and i could not see very well through them. I was in good light but was looking through grass and sagebrush. I had to sneak back to my pack and get my 10x42 Swarovskis. They seem to gather light away better. Most clients want to know how far it is but the regular hunter probably won't need to. Saying this the Rangefinder works unbelievably. I don't think you get as good a quality Bino with the Leica compared to the Swarovski. nd Ran

Singleshotneeded
02-01-2011, 03:01 PM
I checked out the Bushnell Fusion 1600 at WS in Langley the other weekend. I ranged a bit over 1,000 yards with it easily, and the binos
worked nicely inside the store, sharp and clear. The price of $859 for
these 10 X 42s was pretty reasonable as well, especially when compared to the German competition at three times the price!

MerrittBow
02-01-2011, 03:07 PM
My binoculars snaped in half from being dropped, so i just taped my range finder to the good half of the binoculars....works great Ive had it like that for 2 years.

todbartell
02-01-2011, 03:14 PM
The Bushnell Fusion is actually a pretty nice unit, the LRF will reach way out there!

muledeercrazy
02-01-2011, 03:48 PM
i like the leicas, and have never had a problem with brightness. They blow my leupy's away.

swampthing
02-01-2011, 08:42 PM
Weight is the only drawback I see in the combo binos but the handiness sure is nice. I have a friend with the leicas and I ranged stuff at 1700m off. He says they arnt as clear as the swaros that were stolen from him.

brad ferris
02-01-2011, 11:02 PM
It sounds great having one piece of equipment instead of two, but happens when the rangefinder stops working and you have to send it in for repair, now you have lost both your Binos and your Rangefinder.

Happened to me this fall. Sent my leicas from quesnel to new jersey and the replacement pair was in cranbrook. 12 days later. I could have sent them in after the fall but since I still have my zeiss for a back up I shipped them straight away. The service from leica is as good as it gets.

Singleshotneeded
02-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Exactly, have a back-up piece of equipment...extra binos and you can get by without a rangefinder for awhile...if you think you can't then pick up the Bushnell 12 or 1500 for a few hundred bucks...

muledeercrazy
02-02-2011, 12:24 PM
they are a little on the heavy side, but my friend has swaros and i dont find them to be any clearer.

TriggerMag
02-04-2011, 03:33 PM
I heard the geovids dont have as good of glass as the ultravid ?, from what i've seen they seem fairly close, but definately dont compare to the swarovision.