PDA

View Full Version : Trying to store Apex Lures

ruttinbuck
01-31-2011, 07:47 PM
I have a whack of Apex in my tackle box and trying to come up with a better way of storing them.
Tired of line kinked from being tightly wound around each lure.Tired of hooks working into line on next apex.
This is my first attempt at storage and looking to other guys gear for better mouse traps.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f217/ruttinbuck/IMG_2090.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f217/ruttinbuck/IMG_2091.jpg
The towel is in case the leader is too short and the hook will secure some where.All input is appreciated,this first attempt was fast and easy.Looking for better ideas thx RB

Spy
01-31-2011, 07:53 PM
Try cutting your board into a 3rd of what it is now & put in more nails. Stack your apex lures practically on top of each other & fill up your board back & front!Should work & save space.:-D

RJ
01-31-2011, 07:57 PM
I just use a tackle box with one or two in each individual slot. Take the leader and wrap it around 2 fingers in a loop then use a twist tie to keep it together. Seems to do the trick :)

bowhunterbruce
01-31-2011, 11:02 PM
we have used apex lure for years,the absolute best way we found was to hold the lure hanging tightly to the bottom of 1 hand,with the other hand wind the line all the way around 2 or 3 fingers of the holding hand until you reach the barrel swivel.dont wrap it to tight though.you then need to have a 3/4 inch long piece of plastic straw with about 1/4 inch opening readly available.
carefully slide the wound line off your fingers and once off give it a half turn,it shoud look like a figure 8,now squeeze one end into the straw until the straw is in the middle of the figure 8.
its really not that diffacult once you have done it a couple times.the pieces of straw sit nicely in a tackle box when not in use and dont get tangles in other stuff like twist ties do.by doing it this way you won't be kinking the line at all and it easy to just pull it off when ya need it.
there is no way around the hooks getting caught on other lines in your tackle box if your going to share slots but they do sepperate fairly easy as long as ya just dont pull and accually look as you retrieve them out.
done it this way for years now and always will.
give it a try
bhb

Sitkaspruce
01-31-2011, 11:23 PM
RB

get rid of the board, pick up a couple of these, Plano Stowaway boxes, like this one. (many different types out there, so find the one that works for you)

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Fishing/TackleBoxesFishingLine/PRDOVR~0785922P/Plano%252B4700%252BGuide%252BSeries%252BStowaway.j sp?locale=en

and go by Micky-D's and grab a bunch of straws. Cut the straws into 1" pieces, loop the line around your fingers until you have all the line looped up and insert the loops into the straw. Nice and clean and easy to use. No more lines getting tangled.

Cheers

SS

ruttinbuck
02-01-2011, 07:20 AM
I will try the straw method and see how it goes.
Thx for the tips RB

bc cooker
02-01-2011, 07:43 AM
I just use a tackle box with one or two in each individual slot. Take the leader and wrap it around 2 fingers in a loop then use a twist tie to keep it together. Seems to do the trick :)

I do the same as RJ. Been using them for a while now, they store well that way.....no rat's nest!

bc cooker
02-01-2011, 07:47 AM
we have used apex lure for years,the absolute best way we found was to hold the lure hanging tightly to the bottom of 1 hand,with the other hand wind the line all the way around 2 or 3 fingers of the holding hand until you reach the barrel swivel.dont wrap it to tight though.you then need to have a 3/4 inch long piece of plastic straw with about 1/4 inch opening readly available.
carefully slide the wound line off your fingers and once off give it a half turn,it shoud look like a figure 8,now squeeze one end into the straw until the straw is in the middle of the figure 8.
its really not that diffacult once you have done it a couple times.the pieces of straw sit nicely in a tackle box when not in use and dont get tangles in other stuff like twist ties do.by doing it this way you won't be kinking the line at all and it easy to just pull it off when ya need it.
there is no way around the hooks getting caught on other lines in your tackle box if your going to share slots but they do sepperate fairly easy as long as ya just dont pull and accually look as you retrieve them out.
give it a try
bhb

Good idea bhb!!

bearhunter338-06
02-01-2011, 11:16 AM
give it a try
bhb

I have been doing this with all my leaders and lures for years. I get my straws from A&W and McDonald's or Burger king for free......:mrgreen:

ruttinbuck
02-01-2011, 11:37 AM
Tried this with some straws already here at home.I found it works much better with narrow straws,even better when the swivel ends up in the straw as well.
better mouse trap built thanks RB

Cariboo Game Calls
02-01-2011, 11:44 AM
I used to have a set up similar to this for my spin-n-glows for bar fishing. The board was longer, had an oblong hole cut in near the top for a handle and I used tacks at either end for the hooks and loops. The problem with that was trying to tie all the leaders up to the correct length. The other side had a pouch attached for storing my bar weights. Seeing your setup reminds me that it's about time to get my butt in gear and make one up for all of my wedding rings and Apex lures as well. I think I'll work off your design this time around.

Fishhound
02-02-2011, 10:59 PM
Cut the leader off and chuck it, using old leader line will only lead to the big one that got away

behemoth
02-03-2011, 01:18 AM
give it a try
bhb

My father in law has been doing this for 30 years. Works like a charm!