PDA

View Full Version : The draw

willy442
06-30-2006, 06:28 PM
:-? Can anyone tell me how many LEH applications are put in by people that have no intention of hunting? I know this took place with the bear draws a few years back. These nonhunters putting in, take tags away from real hunters. The anti's have thier ways to win also.

mainland hunter
06-30-2006, 07:07 PM
they have to get a hunter number first so id be surprised if there are alot of them. ive heard of it too but i think the number probably isnt too high since most anti's probably dont have enough common sense to pass a core test

abbyfireguy
06-30-2006, 08:09 PM
Sounds like you believe the anti's have some magic way of winning a draw..Sorry , but it don't exist.. The number of antis who actually take the core program to get a ligitamate hunter number is small...They are out there , but I think they do many other things to show us all what a bunch of pecker-heads they are...;-)

3kills
06-30-2006, 09:22 PM
it does happen not sure how much but more often then some of u think...i think its blacktail on here who is a core instuctor that was sayin quite awhile back about have antis take the course...

palmer
06-30-2006, 10:44 PM
I have been a core instructor for 15yrs and have never had an anti take my course....but I am sure they are out there.....there are lots of fellows I know that put in for Doe LEHs and never plan on using them...they say"save a doe"

tmarschall
07-01-2006, 04:44 AM
I have been a core instructor for 15yrs and have never had an anti take my course....but I am sure they are out there.....there are lots of fellows I know that put in for Doe LEHs and never plan on using them...they say"save a doe"

All them folks who say "save a doe should come down here and see what will happen if they keep that up. It has been two generations since does really needed harvesting here, and many still don't beleive in harvesting them. Soon you will have an overpopulation and animal quality will decline. We didn't have an LEH system, landowners were issued "doe tags" to give to hunters as they saw fit. Many of the tags ended up in the trash. Now we have a deer behind every tree and they are really in poor physical condition most of the year. Now they have done away with the tags, hunters can shoot as many as 5 does per year, but they still have to have landowners permission as to what can be harvested. Many more does are being harvested these days, but I think it will be many years before the doe/buck ratio gets to a healthy level.

Good luck on your draws folks.... happy hunting... Tom

07-01-2006, 07:14 AM
The info we return with our harvest questionnaires lets the leh people know the success rate and "if" there were alot of non hunting types applying and not using the draws, eventually the draw numbers would increase to adjust for the harvest they want, or at least that is the theory. Over grazing can be as detrimental to species numbers as over harvesting.....

palmer
07-01-2006, 11:11 AM
All them folks who say "save a doe should come down here and see what will happen if they keep that up. It has been two generations since does really needed harvesting here, and many still don't beleive in harvesting them. Soon you will have an overpopulation and animal quality will decline. We didn't have an LEH system, landowners were issued "doe tags" to give to hunters as they saw fit. Many of the tags ended up in the trash. Now we have a deer behind every tree and they are really in poor physical condition most of the year. Now they have done away with the tags, hunters can shoot as many as 5 does per year, but they still have to have landowners permission as to what can be harvested. Many more does are being harvested these days, but I think it will be many years before the doe/buck ratio gets to a healthy level.

Good luck on your draws folks.... happy hunting... Tom

You can't compare wildlife management in Texas with BC. First we have a limited land mass of winter range and heavy snowfalls( sometimes) We also have a much larger numbers of preditors compared to Texas. When our deer numbers do get high a bad( normal in the old days ) winter knocks them down hard. The other great difference is your land is mostly private and ours is public. I am sorry to here your deer herds are in such bad shape, ours on the other hand are really doing great and producing some great racks. We do have a problem with too many deer for there forage in a few places, but nothing to what you are talking about. And in some areas we still have room for our herds to grow..

cheers
Palmer

tmarschall
07-01-2006, 05:20 PM
Palmer... the only comparison I was trying to make is the reluctance for some hunters to harvest does when the population reaches the point where doe harvests would benifit the herd, and to show a sample of what not following the biologists harvest recommendations could lead to. I understand the vast differences between BC and Texas... too many to mention here. Like your winter die offs when the population gets to high, here we have drought die offs. Animal herds cannot be managed to prevent all winter or drought kills, managing the herd to reduce the impact of such events is the goal, and usually harvesting does is part of the program to reach that goal. An example of a severe drought kill happened here in 1980. On the 50 acres where we hunted, we found 6 skeletons from the drought kill. I'm sure the buzzards had a feast that year!!!!!

boonerbuck
07-02-2006, 03:18 PM
The number of antis who actually take the core program to get a ligitamate hunter number is small...

You don't have to take the CORE program to get your #.

I agree that the number is probably insignificant though.

abbyfireguy
07-02-2006, 03:40 PM
Short of lying, how would one get a Hunter #?????
Not that honesty has a lot to do with the anti's agenda.....

boonerbuck
07-02-2006, 07:10 PM
Read the CORE book, take the test, pass the test...get your #.

It's called challenging the test and I've talked a few friends into doing it because they stalled for so long saying they didnt have time to take the course.

3kills
07-02-2006, 09:35 PM
thats how i got mine i challenged the test...

abbyfireguy
07-03-2006, 08:58 AM
AAHH,,I see said the blind man....:mrgreen:

I can hardly wait till tomorrow when we have 300 posts after everyone can access the LEH results...:wink:

MichelD
07-03-2006, 12:44 PM
To be honest, I think the rumour that antis apply for LEH tags is just that.

3kills
07-03-2006, 12:47 PM
i disagree with u micheld

Kirby
07-03-2006, 01:32 PM
To be honest, I think the rumour that antis apply for LEH tags is just that.

I think that some would, but not many.

Kirby

MichelD
07-03-2006, 03:58 PM
I think disagreement is good. If we can find out the truth about this I'd be grateful.

I am completely willing to be proven wrong on the issue of antis getting their hunter number and putting in for LEH permits.

Until I see some evidence though, I just don't believe it.

I know people who work or have worked for Greenpeace, the Western Canada Wilderness Commitee, the Sierra Legal Defence Fund, and the Sierra Club I have never ever heard this subject mentioned.

If we want to get excited about a real serious threat to resident hunters, check out the thread here on threats to resident hunting by the commercial guide outfitters. I've got nothing against Joe Worker hunting guide, it's the guide area outfitting company licence holders and the GOABC that are behind this.

boonerbuck
07-03-2006, 04:39 PM
I know that one local group in the late 90's *CLAIMED* they were doing just that. They released it to the media.

willy442
07-03-2006, 05:45 PM
Back when the Grizzly bear harvest was facing world wide pressure to be stopped, and the Pink Mountain Buffalo was opening. The nonhunters that put in for the first couple of draws were very high. When this took place I was alot more involved and had some numbers that were given out by the Ministry. When I started this thread it was to find out if any of you hunters out there had been involved in meetings where this had been a topic of discussion.

lip_ripper00
07-03-2006, 08:47 PM

Good luck on your draws folks.... happy hunting... Tom 800 doe draws in 5-14:shock:

Gateholio
07-03-2006, 10:44 PM
I am sure that some antis do it, but the number must be pretty small. There may be little blips when some gorup has a campaign, but for themost part, i Don't think it's widespread.

What annoys me much, much more is when a hunter recieves an EH and then really doesn't bother putting much effort into it.

In my perfect little world, LEH's woud be doled out like this:

1. No more than one High Odds/"Big Hunt" LEH per hunter per year (So a hunter may draw a Bison tag and a doe and a moose, but not a Bison *and* a sheep tag in one year. The reason being is that when a guy gets 3 LEH's in one year, he only has so much time, this happened to me last year, and I put alot of effort into sheep, but ony a little into goat, and zero to the moose. I just didnt' have the time to do al 3)

2. If you got a "High Odds" LEH, you need to buy a tag within a month of the hunt day opening. If you dont' buy your tag, the LEH goes tot he next guy in line, since it appears you arent' interested in the hunt.

3. LEH results would be announced far earlier, so that hunters can plan better.

Obviously, my ideas are not a *perfect* solution, as solutions rarely are perfect, but I just hate to see someone waste an LEH that another guy might give his left testicle for!;-)

3kills
07-03-2006, 10:55 PM
michalD there was a guy on here before that posted on a thread that came up just like this a few years back..and he was an instructor and i m sure he said that he had antis come in to take the course....maybe he will see this thread and post again...

coaster
07-04-2006, 09:11 AM
3kills, it was me that posted that about a year ago. I had three people that openly said that they don't hunt but all they wanted was their number so as they could put in for grizzly leh. You cannot refuse to give them the CORE exam. I am checking my mail from the BCWF as I believe they are involved in training some conservation groups..