PDA

View Full Version : African Hunting

Ovis
01-30-2011, 12:14 AM
Hi all, I am a long time lurker and a first time poster.

First off a joke, this is one my daughter told me...

What kind of bee gives milk???

A Boobie! :-D

Now, onto my questions...

I know a few here (Big Bore did an excellent wrtie up of his hunt, and David Hiesman (sp) did a quick one among others) have been to the dark continent for a safari, and now that my wife has given me the thumbs up to start planning a trip for 2011 or 2012, I have a few thoughts that some may be able to help with. Feel free to pm me with responses.

First off, did you use the services of a booking agent to book or did you go direct the the safari company themselves?

How do you go about shipping trophies home, do you use a broker or just do it yourself?

What are costs to get trophies home? I would like to hunt Kudu, Gemsbok, Impala, Warthog and a Hartmans Zebra. I cannot decide if I would do shoulder mounts for the kudu and gemsbok, or just have euro mounts of the horned species. I would like to have the skull of a worthog and do up a rug with the zebra....

I know from all my lurking there will be some who say why bother as we have so much to hunt here in BC. This has always been a dream of mine and it will not interfere with my annual hunts for stone sheep, moose and my QCI meat hunts, or any others I choose to hunt. This I consider a bonus hunt....

Thanks all for any input you may have...

Cheers
Ovis.

1/2 slam
01-30-2011, 02:56 AM
I did the trip in 2009 with David H. We booked through Cabelas and would do so again. We had the mounts done over there. The taxidermist opened up for us on a Sunday so we could have a look around the entire shop. This guy (Zululand Taxidermy) does fine work. As I write the mounts are at the shipping company. We should have them shortly. We will be using Ron's Wildlife out of Richmond. I don't know what the shipping bill will be.

As for the mounts. I can't stand European mounts. I think they look the shits. But if thats what you want go for it.

Next Monday night at 7PM (a week Tomorrow) our PH will be putting on a display in Custer WA. It's 20 minutes South of the border. His place is Wildlife Art Taxidermy.

mfarrally
01-30-2011, 11:34 AM
Ya i agree with 1/2 slam. do the full shoulder mount instead of euro mounts. Especially with something like Gemsbock whos colors are awesome looking. If your going all that way you might as well do it right. Look into hunting namibia. Prices seem to be pretty good and it is an amazing place to visit. lots of gemsbock and kudu

BCHunterFSJ
01-30-2011, 03:18 PM
I booked my hunt with the outfitter directly with the help of a friend who had been there previously. I used Ron's Wildlife services for importing both my African and N.Z. trophies; was extremely pleased! Taxidermy was done in South Africa; good prices and quality (Moredou Taxidermy). Shipping cost approx. $3000 for 9 trophies including 2 pedestals.

longrifle
01-31-2011, 10:45 AM
I booked my hunt with the outfitter directly with the help of a friend who had been there previously. I used Ron's Wildlife services for importing both my African and N.Z. trophies; was extremely pleased! Taxidermy was done in South Africa; good prices and quality (Moredou Taxidermy). Shipping cost approx. $3000 for 9 trophies including 2 pedestals.

Hey BCHFSJ, did you get your crate shipped by air or sea?? thanks.

'rifle

BiG Boar
01-31-2011, 10:55 AM
Direct to the outfit. Not always cheaper though.

Taxidermist aranged the shipping of the skins and horns. I chose not to do the taxidermy there as I didn't care for that taxidermist work.

Euros are way cheaper. For shipping too. Animals with beautiful markings I did shoulder mounts. Hartebeast and baboon I did euro.

BiG Boar
01-31-2011, 10:56 AM
If you're a bow hunter take your bow. The outfit I used was awsome from pick up to drop off.

Ovis
01-31-2011, 01:03 PM
thanks for the feeback evryone. One more thing, what routes did you fly to get there???

BiG Boar
01-31-2011, 01:35 PM
Avoid flying through the US and London I think. I flew through Germany to South Africa then to Namibia.

Kudu
01-31-2011, 01:35 PM
My Suggestion would be to start reading the sections on hunting, especially African Hunting in this forum - there is tons of really useful information right there.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve

Kudu
01-31-2011, 01:45 PM
Here are some interesting mounts to look at..... just to give you some Ideas....

One of my favorite "The Bushveldt three" springbok - impala and bush buck... or you could get the three springbuck as in my avitar black - white and typical

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/Gogga2/thebushveldthree.png

Sable ....

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/Gogga2/Swart-wit-pense.jpg

Eland....

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/Gogga2/Bluebulle.jpg

Kudu....

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/Gogga2/52inchKudu.jpg

srupp
01-31-2011, 02:08 PM
great looking trophies Kudu ..

Steven

Kudu
01-31-2011, 02:55 PM
great looking trophies Kudu ..

Steven

Thanks mate - how are you holding up after all that surgery?

1/2 slam
01-31-2011, 04:13 PM
My Suggestion would be to start reading the sections on hunting, especially African Hunting in this forum - there is tons of really useful information right there.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve

Kudu is right.

Those mounts are fantastic. They are exactly why I won't do european mounts.

Kody94
01-31-2011, 04:27 PM
Those mounts are fantastic. They are exactly why I won't do european mounts.

I generally do euro's because it costs as much to mount them as to hunt them....and that means it'll take twice as long to save up to go back! :)

David Heitsman
01-31-2011, 04:34 PM
Ovis,

Their will be at least one and likely two African safaris for auction at the Wild Sheep Society's convention the third weekend in March in Kamloops. These usually sell for a slight discount and some of your $$ will go towards conservation here in BC.

The donors are screened and some of the buyers are repeat clients going back year after year. PM me for more details if you like.

Crys Shorty
01-31-2011, 04:47 PM
Here`s a website to try out,... http://www.africanhuntingadventures.com/
it explains different animals and packages ranging in price, if you have further questions in regard to shipping hides, just phone them directly. Sounds awesome though, hope you have a great trip and look forward to posted pics!

Ovis
01-31-2011, 04:54 PM
Gee thanks Kudu, now I need a couple shoulder mounts instead of euros.... te he he...
I have lots more homework to do, but great suggestions so far....
With the delays in getting trophies back it gives a litle more time to save up after the safari, and maybe a guy will win that damn lotto by then :-)

Thanks all

Cheers
Ovis

Kody94
01-31-2011, 04:57 PM
With the delays in getting trophies back it gives a litle more time to save up after the safari, and maybe a guy will win that damn lotto by then :-)

The two times I went to RSA, I got my trophies back in 6 months and 4 months, respectively. Not really much time to save.

Tanzania was about a year the first time, and more than a year so far the second time.

Kody94
01-31-2011, 05:01 PM
thanks for the feeback evryone. One more thing, what routes did you fly to get there???

RSA 2002 : Calgary - Toronto - Atlanta - Joberg. Not recommended if you want to take your own rifles.

RSA 2005 : Calgary - Toronto - Frankfurt - Joberg. No problems, but long layover in Frankfurt (9 to 10 hours).

Tanz 2006: Calgary - Toronto - Amsterdam - Dar Es Salaam. Excellent. No problems. Amsterdam is way nicer than Frankfurt, but you need a transit permit if you have firearms. Fortunately, they are very easy to get.

Tanz 2009: Kalispell - Salt Lake - NY - Dubai - Dar Es Salaam. Great flights, but I was borrowing a firearm...transiting the US is still not recommended otherwise. Dubai is a good option for travelling to Tanzania or Joberg if you fly direct from Canada on Emirates...but last I checked they only do that with a limited number of flights out of Toronto.

Ambush
01-31-2011, 05:06 PM
One of my favorite "The Bushveldt three" springbok - impala and bush buck... or you could get the three springbuck as in my avitar black - white and typical

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/Gogga2/thebushveldthree.png

That is an awesome trio there, Kudu.

I have a crate coming sometime in the next few months and unfortunately there will be no bush buck in it. That is one animal that I really wanted and didn't get. My fault though, because I had encounters.

Kudu
01-31-2011, 10:01 PM

Sorry I missed this post.

I fly home often - not as much as I used to since my mom died, Jane's folks live near Oxford in the UK, so we tend to go back via the UK and stop over for a visit.

The Lufthansa route via Frankfurt isn't bad nor is the KLM trip via Amsterdam, if you have never strolled down Avenue des Champs-Élysées in Paris, then Air France should be considered, hell I even went home via Rio once.

The best thing to do is play the internet game - see which option would cause you the least grief - and go with it.

I never go via the States if I can help it - I simply detest the immigration - also they have an inbred hatred to white people traveling on green SA pasports.

I have never really looked at going the other way - maybe via Hong Kong or Singapore, I have certainly got a few good deals to both those destinations in the last year or so.

Sorry - another thing I forgot to mention - I never fly home with Rifles - that would be akin to an Arab taking sand to the Sahara....

BCHunterFSJ
02-01-2011, 11:35 AM
Hey BCHFSJ, did you get your crate shipped by air or sea?? thanks.

'rifle

Mine were sent by air. MUCH faster and the difference in price was negligable.
Pedestal type mounts are great. My pedestal "trio" is a springbok, a blesbock and an impala. My black wildebeest is also on a pedestal; mean looking beast.

BCHunterFSJ
02-01-2011, 11:40 AM
I went to RSA via the Paris route.

I know that a lot of hunters like to take their own rifles, but in today's crazy world I do not recommend it. Just too much hassle! I borrow and/or rent from the outfitter...

bandit
02-05-2011, 01:38 PM
I used to go to SA via Hong Kong (never took a rifle though). All pretty easy and HK is a fun place to stopover for a couple of days. Singapore is a good layover too although they no longer do direct flights to Canada so it makes for one extra change.

Just got the trophy shipment a few months ago... having waited almost 5 yrs. Apparently changing mailing address every couple of years confuses the hell out of SA customs so getting the export permit re-issued 3 times didnt help. And the zebra skin somewhow went missing from a sealed crate! PM me if you want details of who NOT to use for shipping / taxidermy. Can recommend some good outfitters though.