PDA

View Full Version : BC Yukon Air for caribou

Rob
01-29-2011, 07:24 PM
Not wanting to Hijack the other thread. Looking to maybe go for caribou in sept. Talked to these guys today and he said it is $7.50/mile(50 miles in = $750) 1200 lb limt for 2 guys. He told me they try not to crowd hunters at one spot. Also wondering how far would one need to fly to find a decent spot for caribou? Any info aprreciated. Thanks Rob

Shade Tree
01-29-2011, 08:25 PM
You also have to pay for that plane coming out, unless you can split the cost with another party, you could be looking at $2,900. I am also looking for a good caribou spot. Much of that area around there got badly winter killed in 2007. Old mature bulls have become hard to find from my experience. East of Dease may be worth while, as well as Spatzizi I believe, but I haven't been in there.

pnbrock
01-29-2011, 08:31 PM
caribou taste like crap!

Rob
01-29-2011, 08:41 PM
caribou taste like crap!

lol. I've heard. Much moose up there?

Everett
01-29-2011, 08:47 PM
Anything on the Kawdy will give you a shot at caribou you don't have to fly far.

Everett
01-29-2011, 08:49 PM
caribou taste like crap!

Your doing something wrong best tasting animal I have ever eaten. Way better tha Elk or Moose.

pnbrock
01-29-2011, 08:53 PM
please stop lying to the people

digger dogger
01-29-2011, 08:54 PM
Fly off of Tattoga!

Everett
01-29-2011, 08:58 PM
please stop lying to the people

So you don't know how to cook is what you are saying:wink: Dead serious the best big game animal we have ever harvested for taste going back this year to get two.

pnbrock
01-29-2011, 09:01 PM
fill your boots,i dont have to know how to cook i gots a good woman.

Gunner
01-29-2011, 09:11 PM
Caribou shot before say Sept 15th seem to be just fine,I've eaten steaks off several.After that(the rut),even the Indian dogs won't eat them! Gunner

boxhitch
01-29-2011, 09:20 PM
Its all in the timing
Some old timers won't touch it after the end of August
But even a big bull in velvet is mighty fine table fair
Flavour seems to start changing as the antlers get hard and peeling
Ask any camp in the NWT whether they like moose or 'Bou better.

Caribou_lou
01-29-2011, 09:34 PM
Its all in the timing
Some old timers won't touch it after the end of August
But even a big bull in velvet is mighty fine table fair
Flavour seems to start changing as the antlers get hard and peeling
Ask any camp in the NWT whether they like moose or 'Bou better.

Caribou before they rut is hard to beat. Right up there on my list with Sheep. I've never had a tough caribou, no matter how big. But shoot one in mid September in the rut and I bet your dog wouldn't eat it!!

Stone Sheep Steve
01-29-2011, 11:42 PM
Caribou before they rut is hard to beat. Right up there on my list with Sheep. I've never had a tough caribou, no matter how big. But shoot one in mid September in the rut and I bet your dog wouldn't eat it!!

Beginning of the rut is fine too. We've shot 4 bulls shot on Sept 18th and all were great eating.

SSS

bighornbob
01-29-2011, 11:47 PM
Not wanting to Hijack the other thread. Looking to maybe go for caribou in sept. Talked to these guys today and he said it is $7.50/mile(50 miles in = $750) 1200 lb limt for 2 guys. He told me they try not to crowd hunters at one spot. Also wondering how far would one need to fly to find a decent spot for caribou? Any info aprreciated. Thanks Rob

You have to remember the plane has to come out.

So if it is $7.50 a mile and you want to go 50 miles= $375 for the plane to drop you off. $375 for the plane to fly back to base. $375 for the plane to come pick you up and $375 for the plane to fly you back to base. Thats $1500.

BHB

BCbillies
01-30-2011, 12:06 AM
So if it is $7.50 a mile and you want to go 50 miles= $375 for the plane to drop you off. $375 for the plane to fly back to base. $375 for the plane to come pick you up and $375 for the plane to fly you back to base. Thats $1500.

Thx BHB for clearing this up . . . math just isn't for everbody! :wink: Some guys get lucky with another group taking the potential empty flight but this is not the norm. Still pretty good bang for the buck compared to owning your own plane or boat.

Sitkaspruce
01-30-2011, 07:57 AM
Your doing something wrong best tasting animal I have ever eaten. Way better tha Elk or Moose.

Beginning of the rut is fine too. We've shot 4 bulls shot on Sept 18th and all were great eating.

SSS

X2, we have taken 6 bulls between Sept 18 and 25th and all were good....well I should say the last three were good, the first three were stolen off the lake we were at...........by someone in a plane....we know who, but could not get enough evidence to prove it......but he got in sh$t for some other stuff so there was justice.....

Would never fly with that company......ever.

Cheers

SS

msawyer
01-30-2011, 10:27 AM
OK... so you got my attention... At least give us the story, even if you feel you need to leave out names... Just leave enough clues that we can figure it out...

If someone on HBC has a bad experience with an operator, any operator, its best if we all know about it... Then we a better armed to make good decisions about who we do business with...

Mike

X2, we have taken 6 bulls between Sept 18 and 25th and all were good....well I should say the last three were good, the first three were stolen off the lake we were at...........by someone in a plane....we know who, but could not get enough evidence to prove it......but he got in sh$t for some other stuff so there was justice.....

Cheers

SS

bcyukonair
01-30-2011, 10:29 AM

Cheers

SS

sitakaspuce are you inferring bc yukon air stole your caribou?

sounds like your party shot 2 caribou per tag.

bruce.

TARCHER
01-30-2011, 10:42 AM
Rob. I have flown off Dease lake with Bruce M. two different times and was succesful twice for caribou. Had great trips. I can give you details if you contact me t.archer@shaw.ca

Sitkaspruce
01-30-2011, 10:01 PM

bruce.

How would you know Bruce????? Where you there??????:mrgreen::wink:

It was 12 years ago and I will not post the name of the pilot or plane company or discuss the event, it is in the past....I will leave that up to your own imagination.

As to the original question, fly up onto the Kawdy and if the pilot will not take you to the lake you want to go to, find someone who will. Some guys think the lake and area is reserved only for them....

Cheers

SS

leadpillproductions
01-30-2011, 11:03 PM
THATS FUNNY

bcyukonair
01-31-2011, 12:14 AM

bruce.

sitkaspruce,

the bush has eyes, there are so few people there, when things go wrong

people put 2 and 2 together.

mike_b
01-31-2011, 12:16 AM

Fricken nasty man. Caribou is real fricken nasty......

digger dogger
01-31-2011, 08:37 AM
As to the original question, fly up onto the Kawdy and if the pilot will not take you to the lake you want to go to, find someone who will. Some guys think the lake and area is reserved only for them....

Cheers

SS[/QUOTE]

I have talked with bcyukon 3 times, the last time Bruce told me he could not fly me into X Lake, he had 13 guys goin in, so he advised me to go there and go somewhere else. We counted 6 people Bruce brought in. I know a couple guys who have had the same thing told to them.Steering people in the wrong direction is not good for bussiness. The hills have ears too!

Sitkaspruce
01-31-2011, 09:05 AM
sitkaspruce,

Not sure what your infering Bruce, but you might not want to go there....it a slippery slope to start playing on.

And if you can remember what happened 12 years ago, then you must have taken part.....:wink::mrgreen:

Cheers

SS

Dale
01-31-2011, 09:21 AM
Sounds like some possible meat handling issues. Caribou have a nasty enzyme in their gut that makes them bloat instantly after dieing. You need to either get the quarters off or gut the animal immediately before the enzyme starts to creep into the edible portions of the animal. Its like green belly on a wolf. Get that meat away from guts asap. Also caribou have the ultimate insulating hair on the planet, thus it retains their heat for a long time. So get that hide off as quick as you can. Just a couple tips to reduce meat spoilage, hope it helps. Later.

Gateholio
01-31-2011, 09:44 AM
sitkaspruce,

Not sure what your infering Bruce, but you might not want to go there....it a slippery slope to start playing on.

And if you can remember what happened 12 years ago, then you must have taken part.....:wink::mrgreen:

Cheers

SS

Going to invoke the "nanny goat/underage ram etc" rule on this. If you guys have any solid info of wrongdoing, take it to the CO's. Leave it off the forums.

thanks

bcyukonair
01-31-2011, 10:02 AM

Cheers

SS

sitkaspruce

on here was the first time i heard this story. your'e going to have to give more details. you haven't answered my original question. i ant scared of going there.
bruce.

Gateholio
01-31-2011, 10:04 AM
sitkaspruce

on here was the first time i heard this story. your'e going to have to give more details. you haven't answered my original question. i ant scared of going there.
bruce.

"Go there" with the CO's or via PM to each other. Not on the forum.

Philcott
01-31-2011, 11:20 AM
I can say that I went in three times with BCYA and Bruce served us well all three times. Those three hunts got us moose, caribou and goat as well as memories to last for years. I'd love to book another fly in camp some time down the road and would be happy with Bruce.

kennyj
01-31-2011, 05:49 PM
I love caribou meat. And as a bonus they have the COOLEST antlers in the animal kingdom. IMO
kenny

luckynuts
01-31-2011, 07:51 PM

SSS

I was just going to post the same thing when I seen yours Brent. We fried us some meat up in a pan of butter back at base on the 14th or 15th of sept and I was surprised at how good it was. We had no other seasonings. I'm sure a big old bull shot at the very end of the season after running around for 2 weeks is going to taste just like a bull elk in Oct. Puke barf puke:wink:

W.

BromBones
01-31-2011, 07:57 PM
Caribou is top notch table fare. Early-mid Sept is usually a safe bet for bringing home good meat. Last bou I got was a big, very old bull, but the meat was as tender as a 2 year old bull moose.

Just get it all eaten up within 6-7 months, it will get pretty skanky smellin after being in the freezer much longer than that.

02-01-2011, 01:04 AM
I was also happy with Bruce's service and would highly recommend him.

wildprotien
02-01-2011, 01:57 AM
Thanks for making this thread !
I cannot add to the info you need but I am learning good info from the posters.
I ate Caribou meat as a kid living in Newfoundland as well as many other wild animals. Actually Im not sure we ever ate beef ????
It was so good just like the Moose, Turrs, Trout, Salmon etc etc.
A good friend gave me some Caribou his wife shot here in BC a few years back and no word of a lie when I came home one night my wife was cooking it and the whole house stunk like pi$$.
I just started screaming from the bottom of the entrance what are you cooking ???
Throw it out the back door NOW !!!!!!!! Throw the FU$$$$ pan out to and never cook in it again !!!
OMG did that stuff stink !!!! I swear if you pi$$ed in my drink it wouldn't smell that bad.
So knowing it is all in the time of year you shoot it and the helpful tip on its hide really holds heat more so than other animals thats great info to know.
I might add this to my animals to put in the deep freeze after all ....
Thanks ..........

Orangethunder
02-01-2011, 08:00 AM
Flying with Bruce is always a pleasure. Finding caribou really isn't all that tough up there. East or west you can find some good bulls. I have yet to not see a decent bull up on a trip up there. You can usually find some around gnat pass on your way there if you spend some time behind your glasses.

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff321/Orangethunder77/SD530475.jpg

See, even fat guys can shoot them!

Good luck and don't forget your fishing rod.

GoatGuy
02-01-2011, 08:02 AM
Flying with Bruce is always a pleasure. Finding caribou really isn't all that tough up there. East or west you can find some good bulls. I have yet to not see a decent bull up on a trip up there. You can usually find some around gnat pass on your way there if you spend some time behind your glasses.

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff321/Orangethunder77/SD530475.jpg

See, even fat guys can shoot them!

Good luck and don't forget your fishing rod.

Tell me about the sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeppppppppppppppp:wink:

Orangethunder
02-01-2011, 08:04 AM
Tell me about the sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeppppppppppppppp:wink:

I thought this was a caribou thread?
:confused::-D

GoatGuy
02-01-2011, 08:06 AM
I thought this was a caribou thread?
:confused::-D

never seen a thread hijacked on this site before?????:mrgreen:

Orangethunder
02-01-2011, 08:13 AM
never seen a thread hijacked on this site before?????:mrgreen:

No, I've never seen that except on Dana's posts:wink:.

I'd better get to work. Cheers

GoatGuy
02-01-2011, 08:31 AM
No, I've never seen that except on Dana's posts:wink:.

I'd better get to work. Cheers

hahaha...........

muledeercrazy
02-01-2011, 03:21 PM
These prices were for two guys? I was just wondering if it made any difference having three guys go in on one fligh, and two flights out?

BCbillies
02-01-2011, 04:08 PM
These prices were for two guys? I was just wondering if it made any difference having three guys go in on one fligh, and two flights out?

Three guys in would mean the $750 for the trip in is split 3 ways. The extra flight out means another round trip so the total is now $2250. Split 3 ways your still at $750 each.

25tikka
02-02-2011, 08:59 AM
Hey guys
Why not just contact bc yukon or north pacific for a real quote. You can book your dates at the same time, and get actual allowable weights for loading, plane availability etc. Then you will KNOW.
There is some great opportunities for caribou in the area. Lots of fun. Usually lots of wolves too.

leadpillproductions
02-04-2011, 08:08 PM
Sent an email to night will find out about price's