PDA

View Full Version : Prince George?

kebes
01-29-2011, 05:33 PM
Looks like I might be getting an interview for a job up in the area, I know there's some decent hunting around for moose but I've never really known much more then that. How are mulies in the area? What about elk (I know the regs say there's an open season around but do you have to head further out towards McBride to get into them)? Anyways....just figured I should know some of the important stuff before I look at possibly moving up there :).

The Dawg
01-29-2011, 05:39 PM
Mulies, whitetail, moose,bear, and elk all within an hour of town... Even closer depending on where in town u live ;)

swampthing
01-29-2011, 05:55 PM
I am 2 years new to PG and am missing my old Kamloops "open country" hunting. There is lots of game around but it isnt easy to find. Moose are fairly easy to locate but moose arnt high on my list. There are elk and mulies around, but once again, not easy to find. The locals who grew up around here do well. The bush is thick and the not too far away alpine is tough to access.

ALPINE
01-29-2011, 07:35 PM
Lived in PG for over thirty years. Hunting is really poor around here and the only elk in the area are cardboard cutouts. I think we used to have a shooting range but it was closed down because of lack of use. Once and awhile you might see a mule deer and maybee a black bear? If you want any good hunting people have to travel out of town like Kamloops just to get the chance to cut a tag. OK OK Ok ...... I could be BSin!

Torch
01-29-2011, 07:40 PM
From what I've heard it's pretty good hunting once you learn how to work the areas... I hope it turns out that way...I'm moving up march 12th...

betteroffishing
01-29-2011, 07:52 PM
tragic thing is , p g is the one town my wife has stated clearly that she will never move back too. kinda sucks cause it really does seem to have it all , lottsa cheap real estate , employment opportunities abound and hunting right outside your back door. she recalls the stink of the mills , thats it ? it couldnt be that bad , could it ??

BromBones
01-29-2011, 07:58 PM
I am 2 years new to PG and am missing my old Kamloops "open country" hunting. There is lots of game around but it isnt easy to find. Moose are fairly easy to locate but moose arnt high on my list. There are elk and mulies around, but once again, not easy to find. The locals who grew up around here do well. The bush is thick and the not too far away alpine is tough to access.

Sounds like my relates who come up from southern BC & the US when they see some of the terrain we hunt in the central interior. Usually get asked "How do you hunt in that thick crap?"

"Ya gotta be sneaky, like an injun" :-D

Shade Tree
01-29-2011, 08:08 PM
I don't know....I hunt deer in Dawson and Williams Lk. I go up north a couple times a year, moose season around here is like grand central station compared to where I used to hunt in the Okanogan. Lastly, I go to Terrace to fish. But yes, it is cheap real estate... I do like it here though.

BlackwaterHunter
01-29-2011, 08:43 PM
If you know your places the game matches anywhere in BC, elk in that area is a logn stretch have found a few tracks over the last few years but never seen one. to get to the good areas you have to go farther in the woods cause a bunch of vancouverites take over the closer areas nearer to town.

Gunner Staal
01-29-2011, 10:06 PM
Just got transferred there myself. Im a little scared of leaving the spoiled hunting spots ive come accustomed to in the Okanagan. Back to the drawing board!

honda450
01-29-2011, 10:12 PM
Hunting was good in the Columbus when I lived there. hehehe Beware of the stench in the bowl. Thick as oatmeal some days. Live up College Heights or Hart Hiway JFYI.

moosinaround
01-29-2011, 11:56 PM
Looks like I might be getting an interview for a job up in the area, I know there's some decent hunting around for moose but I've never really known much more then that. How are mulies in the area? What about elk (I know the regs say there's an open season around but do you have to head further out towards McBride to get into them)? Anyways....just figured I should know some of the important stuff before I look at possibly moving up there :).

Well, good luck on the interviews! If ya move to the peeg, welcome! Hunting is pretty good for moose, fair for mulies and whitetail, and fair for elk. Black bears are almost a guarantee for 2 per year, and there are ditch chickens galore! Give me a hollar if you want to BS! Moosin

Ghillie
01-30-2011, 07:58 PM
Ive tried hunting in and around PG, and It's not as good as people make it out to be. I have never seen any deer or elk while hunting, Its quite fair for moose, and have seen plenty of black bear. If you like to hunt bear and moose, your set!

mxracer328
01-31-2011, 09:31 AM
From what I've heard it's pretty good hunting once you learn how to work the areas... I hope it turns out that way...I'm moving up march 12th...

did you ever find a place to work up here yet?

CanuckShooter
01-31-2011, 12:39 PM
Ive tried hunting in and around PG, and It's not as good as people make it out to be. I have never seen any deer or elk while hunting, Its quite fair for moose, and have seen plenty of black bear. If you like to hunt bear and moose, your set!

Am I reading road hunter here?? :mrgreen:

pete_k
03-22-2011, 01:52 PM
How things working out for you and Torch?

steve62
03-22-2011, 03:38 PM
What ever you do DO NOT try the lakes district no game up here at all and the fish are all small and muddy :)

tomahawk
03-22-2011, 04:01 PM
Mulies, whitetail, moose,bear, and elk all within an hour of town... Even closer depending on where in town u live ;)

Within city limits for all species you listed!!!!!!