PDA

View Full Version : Bison Hunt 2011

MOL
01-29-2011, 01:11 PM
Well we survived another winter Bison Hunt! Sacha, Jim and I headed out few Saturday's ago and got to out offloading spot at 4:00 pm, it was about -34 C. After unloading our sleds and loading our skimmers we left just after dark, as usual! We headed down the trail, lots of snow and only a few snowmobile tracks! After getting the rookie unstuck several times, and finally breaking trail into the hunting spot we arrived at about 10:30 pm. We were all a little played out but no time to sit around, we set up the tent and stove, cut some fire wood and get a fire going. A few beers and some dinner and it was bedtime (beer in cooler stay liquid even at those temps). We woke up at about 2:30, guess what, the fire was out and it was bloody cold, we quickly got it going and it stayed going with not 1 but 3 fire tenders after that.

We slept in a bit but were on our way on the opener, it was at least -35 and snowing, we thought the Bison would be in the trees for sure. We found only a few old tracks and a couple of cow moose in our valley, we broke a few trails and backed out in case the bison moved in later. We hunted a few other areas but really saw very little. The next day we checked again, same result and had to move off to another area. We finally caught up to 2 small groups of Bison in the late afternoon. Got real close to both groups but was holding out for a bull. The next day was a shorter hunting day Sacha had to head out and I had to get some of our stuff back to the truck so we could pull out in a few days with only 2 sleds. I called the wife to check in when we got to the trucks and she informed me that there was 20 inches of fresh snow in the drive way and the quad would not push it, oh oh! I headed back in on a nicely broke trail after picking up more gas and we did a short afternoon hunt.

The next morning we got up early to beat the rush onto the main trail, it worked and we ran into a group of 12 cows and calves, put on a stock, had a shot but a little too far. We saw about 9 moose in the same meadow. And no bull Bison. As we were low on gas we started heading out. We ran into a group (Jesse, Arny, J., Brent and Cody) that had killed a couple of Bulls and were heading in to get them. As it was getting late in the day, I asked them about their broke down polaris from the night before and volunteered to pull it out for them, we also lent them a skimmer! Me and Jim hooked onto the busted sled with the new Skandic and started pulling, the first 500m uphill with the park brake on. It got a lot easier one the brake was taken off and on the way we ran into about 20 Bison once again I passed on the shot(s). We got out to their cabin at about 9:00 pm and dropped off the sled, I think it was about a 30 km pull with a few steep hills and sharp corners. We earned a few drinks and a 24 out of the deal and shared it with the boys. We got back to camp at 1:00 am and after cutting some firewood went to bed.

We awoke in the middle of the night to the sound of strong winds on the ridge tops. It was getting close and all of a sudden the wind caught our tent and raised it off the frame and pulled the stove pipe out of the stove, by now the temperature was about -10 so luckily it had warmed up. We quickly got the tent back in order and got another few hours of sleep. I told Jim to sleep in and headed out for a short ride. Went down on trail and cut some tracks, owing to the high winds I knew that the tracks were fresh (cows and calves) and they would be in the area still. I back tracked and went into the meadow and could see a few Bison. I jumped off the sled, loaded up and the stalk was on. I was about 150 m out and got behind a few small trees. I got the scope on the mostly bedded animals but did not have a shot and they were getting my wind. Within about 3 minutes the lead cow started walking out of the meadow with most of herd behind her. The last 2, a mature cow and yearling lingered a bit, I had a clear shot on the cow, she went down and the season was over. I spined her, after telling myself to shoot low, aiming what I thought was low and next time will aim low then lower down a foot! I will blame it one the high winds and 3 ft of snow! No bulls but we saw about 50 head of cows and calves. Thanks to my helpers! I love the winter hunting, next time I will hold out for a Bull, but the cow is very tasty and seems tender. By the way i too have seen the marbling in Bison meat!

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_pGZWAmzNTbg/TUQ9kjigBlI/AAAAAAAAABE/75FeUnCmSiY/s400/IMG_0023.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_pGZWAmzNTbg/TUR58-nWDGI/AAAAAAAAABc/qs07xR35URk/s640/IMG_0005.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_pGZWAmzNTbg/TUYLabm1FII/AAAAAAAAADU/uVr7G-JrMAA/s400/IMG_0004.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_pGZWAmzNTbg/TUR59Q0tVdI/AAAAAAAAABk/wRGYRQKYupE/s400/IMG_0008.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_pGZWAmzNTbg/TUYLa1rXksI/AAAAAAAAADY/FwEM1QlfLBA/s640/IMG_0041.JPG

Thanks Brent!

bforce750
01-29-2011, 01:17 PM
Great story!! good job on the bison, hopefully I will get drawn one day and experiance this one day maybe ? Who the heck do I have to pay? Ohhh well my time will come I'm sure. Are you going to do a mount ?

Buck
01-29-2011, 02:28 PM
Great story! Sure like those Skandics i got a ride out from 40K on one.

BiG Boar
01-29-2011, 02:53 PM
Nice hunt and great photos. I really like that last one. Lol

tomahawk
01-29-2011, 04:33 PM
Thanks for sharin the experience.

ufishifish2
01-29-2011, 05:00 PM
You absolutely rock MOL. I bow down to you my friend! Thanks so much for loaning me your skimmer. I brought out 3 quarters of "Goatguys" bison that night after breaking my own skimmer. I am eternally grateful for your help and hope that one day someone can help you out in a big way like you did for all of us. I'll be there any time you ask..............

P.S. - Our story is still not up, but I will get around to posting the Bull Story soon!! Thanks for everyones patience that has been sending me PM'strying to motivate me.

Brent

one-shot-wonder
01-29-2011, 07:26 PM
Kudos to MOL!

The peice of $hit with skis underneath it is not a Polaris it is an Artic Crap......Still at the shop so the diagnosis hasn't been done yet. To add insult to injury you towed it closer to 40km to our cabin, but who's counting.

If I can ever convince myself to buy another sled it will definately be a utility machine much like your skandic.

I am glad to hear you guys got a bison, thats awesome!

It's guys like you that restore my faith in the hunting fraternity these days......another huge thanks!

Will
01-29-2011, 07:56 PM
Congrats ! Sounds like some good times !
I too love the last pic, thanks and well done :-D

ufishifish2
01-29-2011, 08:20 PM
I too love the last pic, thanks and well done :-D
Yeah, we saw that one but passed her up. Something wrong with shooting pregnant bison......:twisted:

M.Dean
01-29-2011, 08:45 PM
Sounds like one cold hunt! Congrats on getting your Buffalo, and good for you guys for helping out the other Hunters that were in a Jam! It's nice to find guys like you still around! I could only get the first picture to load? Said URL not found for the other 3?

GoatGuy
01-30-2011, 12:50 PM
Congratulations MOL,

Good job! Should be some good eating. Didn't expect you to shoot one the next day. If we would have known we would have given you a hand.

Can't thank you enough for all your help. You're one heck of a good guy and appreciate all your efforts.

If you're ever down in this south country be sure to look me up!

bridger
01-30-2011, 01:29 PM
nice story and a great hunt . i liked the picture of your camp best. you guys had a great hunt. not many guys wall tent in those temperatures. congrats!! by the way what kind of tent do you have. size and make? just curious.

MOL
01-30-2011, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. Glad to help you guys out, and karma shone down 500 m from the tent the next morning. Bridger it is a Norseman 14 x 16 that was a prize out of a Fort St John function (buddies tent). Works good but we need to cut down the poles a bit to make it fit better over the frame. Also longer pegs for winter willow/muskeg camping would have prevented the wind concerns. The insulated tarps helped out a lot by reducing condensation and keeping it warmer (plug...Peace Country Rentals).

Darksith
01-30-2011, 05:04 PM
nice storey but the links are broken, can you repost the pics please?

bridger
01-30-2011, 05:14 PM
thats cool the tent was probably won at the north peace rod and gun clubs annual fundraiser as we raffle that same set up every year and have for years. congrats again.

Thanks for the comments guys. Glad to help you guys out, and karma shone down 500 m from the tent the next morning. Bridger it is a Norseman 14 x 16 that was a prize out of a Fort St John fun's action (buddies tent). Works good but we need to cut down the poles a bit to make it fit better over the frame. Also longer pegs for winter willow/muskeg camping would have prevented the wind concerns. The insulated tarps helped out a lot by reducing condensation and keeping it warmer (plug...Peace Country Rentals).

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
01-30-2011, 05:57 PM
Nice . id love to get a bison . are you just using store plastic bought skinners , im thinking about building one .anyone have photos of a custom skinner ?

kennyj
01-30-2011, 06:57 PM
Great story and photos. Lots of good eats.
kenny

hunter1947
01-31-2011, 03:32 AM
Very nice wright up congrats to all that was on your hunt ,I like the picture with the beer on the ground near the stove you put there to thaw out not to often you have to do this its usually the other way around your looking to keep the beer cold LOL..

Mik
01-31-2011, 01:19 PM
Sounds like a tough hunt in those cold conditions. Glad you finally got one. As for the bull, well theres always next year or two or 15..till you get the draw again. Great photos, thanks for posting and Congrats.

asurebet
01-31-2011, 06:58 PM
Congrats on a sucessful hunt, Great story, brings back memories of our Dec hunt.