PDA

View Full Version : Back pack hunting tips ( saving weight or space)

moose2
01-29-2011, 09:45 AM
I just wanted to start a thread on tips or ideas on how to save weight and or space for back packing trips. Any ideas on clothing, food , shelter, equipment, or anything else that might be useful to many of us. Here are a couple I can think of. Going with a partner allows you to share common supplies such as tent/shelter and stove and fuels. Another tip I have found is to pack a couple large zip-lock freezer bags these fold up small and allow you to fetch water for spike camp when it is not near by. It supplies a fair amount of water without bulkey/heavy containers.
Mike

snareman1234
01-29-2011, 09:47 AM
if people really need their coffee, instead of bringing some fancy apparatus, you can get those starbucks via microground coffee, way better than instant and saves the extra gear

TyTy
01-29-2011, 10:21 AM
X2 on having a partner, thats the best weight saver, to share gear. even having a pack dog, or i've heard of people taking a string of goats to pack into back country.

spending the extra $ for quality gear can cut some weight. other than that i would say planning a route where fresh water is abudant would ease worries of how much water you need to pack on you. thats a good idea packing plastic bags,

cavebear
01-29-2011, 10:26 AM
check the post by leadpillproductions its huge and has some great tips and gear list. :-D

Happy hunting :-D

moose2
01-29-2011, 10:32 AM
check the post by leadpillproductions its huge and has some great tips and gear list. :-D

Happy hunting :-D

Thanks CB I missed that one , that is what I was looking for. Here it is for the others that have not seen it.
Mike
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=33192

ElectricDyck
01-29-2011, 10:32 AM
I know my biggest weight savings would come from shedding a few pounds of Christmas goodies. :mrgreen:

frenchbar
01-29-2011, 10:45 AM
If its somewhere where you will be back from time to time make a cache ..leave a frypan ..pot .. coffee pot ..tent ..tarp ...saves on a lot of weight:-D for the next time in.

BCHunterFSJ
01-29-2011, 11:03 AM
A friend of mine drills holes in the handle of his toothbrush...
Honest!

pnbrock
01-29-2011, 11:16 AM
im gonna skeletonize my toothbrush too....coool

Gunner Staal
01-29-2011, 03:27 PM
Great piece of kit everyone should have. Its called the "Sildome" and its made by Integral Designs. Super light weight shelter which is rip stop nylon and has one tent pole. Its basically the top half of a two man tent without the floor. Peg it out anywhere in minutes. It weighs about half a pound. Check it out on MEC website. I use it for all my hunts accept those where the worst weather is possible.

Couple of others.....buy a down sleeping bag instead of synthetic. Yes its more expensive but it packs down to a quarter of the size and weight. Outdoor Research makes fantastic dry compression sacks which squeezes my -5 down bag smaller than a football. Also check out the new Neo Air by Thermorest. Unreal comfort and packs down to the size of a novel. My shelter, sleeping pad and sleeping bag weighs under 5 pounds. Compared to what is probably 15-20 lbs for most.

Spend the money on good gear and check out mountaineering eqiupment over hunting stuff everytime. Hunting clothing companies tend to make big, bulky, heavy garments, the mountaineers are all about more for less when it comes to weight and size. Spend the cash and go to brands like arcteryx, Mountain Hardware, Rab, Patagonia. They are bullet proof.

whitetailsheds
01-29-2011, 03:35 PM
Put the beer in the bottom of your partners pack when he's not looking......

moose2
01-29-2011, 05:17 PM
A friend of mine drills holes in the handle of his toothbrush...
Honest!

A friend told me about a guide that lightened up his tooth brush the same way , and then he would wear a 2.5 lb belt buckle (LOL)
Mike

moose2
01-29-2011, 05:21 PM
Put the beer in the bottom of your partners pack when he's not looking......

Good idea WTS one of the guys on here ( Luckynuts ) is going hunting with a new guy this year I will have to tell him to try that on him.
Mike

fourbyfour
01-29-2011, 11:03 PM
any food ideas? on a 8 day sheep hunt. thx

fourbyfour
01-29-2011, 11:04 PM
great thread i now it will help me . the beer is the best

snareman1234
01-29-2011, 11:23 PM
any food ideas? on a 8 day sheep hunt. thx

Mountain house pro-packs buddy

Ponderosa
01-30-2011, 10:51 AM
for food I say get a dehydrator and experiment!! Thats what I did. can make your food for way less than buying mountain house etc. and you can make whatever you want. when mine are done, I vaccum seal them, and most weigh in right around 4oz per meal, and the packaging is way smaller than store bought stuff. And the best part is you can dry just about anything, so your meal ideas can be almost endless.