PDA

View Full Version : stuffers salami,garlic coil

4pointhunter
01-28-2011, 07:43 PM
i just got my order from stuffers ordered it tuesday night and it arrived at my door today $10 shipping great to deal with
i was just wondering the salami, garlic coil, and summer sausage say the cure is in the package seperately, what do i do with it, just add it to the mix with the binder ?

Steeleco
01-28-2011, 08:00 PM
Each one is different, some you may want to age the mixed meat and spice for a time, then add the binder. Other's you mix right away and age in the skins.

I recently made up a Salami mix from Stuffers. It turned out great and is nearly all gone. I find if you mix the seasonings and cure in the water first, then add it to the meat it tends to blend better.

Another trick Mr.Dean taught me was to use regular ground beef in lieu of pork. Much nicer taste.

lorneparker1
01-28-2011, 10:08 PM
which mix did you get steelco?

Conrad74
01-28-2011, 10:25 PM
If you mix the cure & the salt with the meat first your sausage will bind together better and won't be as crumbly . The cure ( sodium nitrite) is packed separately due to food safety regulations.

Steeleco
01-29-2011, 12:45 AM
which mix did you get steelco?

The latest one was an Elk Salami, but I've still got a half dozen varieties in the shed. I've made a few Summer sausage kits and they turned out OK, but the more I do the better I get.

The last batch are hard to tell I didn't pay to have it made, just need to perfect the skins and we're good.

ElectricDyck
01-29-2011, 11:02 AM
I've had problems with my pepperoni, salami and summer sausage stuffers packs being too salty. I will have to try using ground meat, I have been using bacon ends or a smoked pork shoulder which must be adding to the salt content. The other brand packs I've used don't seem to come out as salty.

Steeleco
01-29-2011, 08:38 PM
I use a little more water than recommended too. In the end it all cooks out anyway, but having it in the mix makes it blend easier.

Ian F.
02-03-2011, 07:48 AM
You also need to make sure you get your sausage to the "primary bind" stage. This is when the sausage mass is sticky, the easiest way to do this at home is in a stand mixer with the paddle, takes about 5 minutes. It really adds to the sausage texture, "bind" duh, I know, and evenness of the mix.

Very best,

Ian