PDA

View Full Version : Dease Lake, is it worth it?

bobber jon
01-28-2011, 02:30 PM
So I want to do a BIG hunting trip next fall and looking at going up around dease lake for caribou and moose, and with doing more research it seems that the First nations are making a bit of a trouble up there for hunters so here is my question, is it worth going up to Dease lake for the hunting? And if so is it Safe to go up? for my self and truck and boat etc... obviously saftey is my number one concern and I dont wanna come back after a long hike and find that my truck was shot or tires slashed.

Any way would appreciate all the advice.

Cheers and happy friday:-D

takla1
01-28-2011, 02:43 PM
hyway sucks...rough,usually many work crew delays,not many access points into the bush,long frikken drive..natives shoot anything that moves...i used to hunt the klappan river,there are moose,big bear and the odd cariboo.

Trapper
01-28-2011, 04:38 PM
I've been going to dease lake for the last three years and haven't had and trouble yet. although i did get a talking too buy some natives at the dease lake store in 2009 season (thats when they had the blockaids up) but it wasn't anything i couldn't handle,last season was good no trouble that i was a where of. Just don't leave your truck parked over night in one spot to long.
good luck

BCbillies
01-28-2011, 06:01 PM
Would recommend leaving the vehicle with someone responsible. Hid the vehicle twice for extended periods around No Hope Lake . . . it remained intack . . . but we ran into trouble of other sorts. :( Haven't heard much about boat problems other than confrontations while on the river. If you are one of 12 trucks at the boat launch there is some comfort in numbers!

bobber jon
01-28-2011, 08:15 PM
Thanks for all the advice, I just dont want any one wrecking my truck or boat while hiking around.

Are the moose populations ok up there? I keep hearing that the FN shot them all? True?

Sounds like they cause more trouble then need be with road blocks etc..

Trapper
01-28-2011, 08:21 PM
Thanks for all the advice, I just dont want any one wrecking my truck or boat while hiking around.

Are the moose populations ok up there? I keep hearing that the FN shot them all? True?

Sounds like they cause more trouble then need be with road blocks etc..
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Dease_lk_2010_096_hbc.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=21599&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=483)
this is the bull i got there last season we were there a week and seen 14 different bulls

snareman1234
01-28-2011, 08:25 PM
Wow, that will seal the deal for bobber jon I would say!!
what a bull!

shallowH2O
01-28-2011, 08:28 PM
wozers.....that a big old guy!

Ride Red
01-28-2011, 08:29 PM
Wow !!! Gorgeous bull. I love those long tines off the paddles. Congrats !!!

boxhitch
01-28-2011, 08:44 PM
Stop for fuel at Dease and carry on north a ways, should get you into some good game
Not a lot of side road access to the area though. .

BillyBull
01-28-2011, 08:51 PM
Trapper... great looking bull. Can you let me know how the meat was, as the last one we took from Dease was quite tough. Most roasts and steaks had to marinate for days.....

bobber jon
01-29-2011, 11:05 AM
WOW!! Thats a beauty bull for sure!! Thanks for all the advice, as it stands now Im thinking of heading up there right after fishing (around sept 15th) and staying up there for a while to do some hunting and fishing.