PDA

View Full Version : camo recommendations

Good2bCanadian
01-28-2011, 02:25 PM
Hey guys looking for my first set of hunting gear.
Looking for a shell setup, that I can layer underneath for warmth.
Would like the jacket to have a hoody, and gear must be waterproof and breathable.

Looking for quality gear at a decent price.
I don't want a tampon for a jacket, but am kinda on a budget, because I'm a newb to hunting and have a lot of gear to purchase.

I own plenty of gear for outdoors, but noisy bright gortex probably is not the way to go.

This gear needs to get me thru all of bc's weather other than mid winter buffalo hunt.

Thanks all

Maybe give me some budget options, and some medium priced options.

Cheers

KevinB
01-28-2011, 05:06 PM
This won't really answer your question, but I think absolute weatherproofness is overrated and breathability is underrated. I pack around an inexpensive W/B hard shell sometimes, in my pack, if I think it will get really pissy out. Which around here, doesn't happen that often. I have a few - marmot precip, sierra designs proprietary light something or other, and a mtn hardware goretex pac lite, they all come in olive or drab green colours that work fine for hunting. If it's raining hard enough that I need a hard shell, then the noise they generate isn't that bad. The pac lite one is the noisiest. The were all purchased while on sale for pretty cheap - the SD and the MH were both half price, somewhere around $50-$70 IIRC. I almost never use a hard shell while hunting, unless I'm backpack hunting and I'm sitting and glassing in the wind. They are more of a "just in case" thing for me. I might be different if I lived on the coast or the west kootenays but I find a hard shell is overkill most of the time and if you're active you can get pretty sweaty. A lot of the soft shells are a good compromise, they repel reasonable levels of water snow and wind, they breathe way way way better than any hard shell, and they are pretty quiet, if you get one with the right fabric. I'm a fan of Schoeller Dryskin. I have a pair of MEC pants and a MEC jacket and I found both of them used for quite cheap. I can't say enough good things about the dryskin.

You don't have to get caught up in getting a set of specific "hunting gear". A lot of the stuff made for hiking/backpacking is better than the average overpriced set of hunting specific outerwear, you just have to find it in dull colours and preferably quiet fabrics.

warnniklz
01-28-2011, 05:24 PM
If I was starting out this is how I would do it. Not saying this is the right way... just my way.

I'd go to a place like Mark's Work Warehouse and buy a good moisture wicking base layer... good wool shirt and pants for insulation. Then I'd go to Fabricland and buy some camo material, something soft and quiet like fleece. Get a couple yards and then find someone who knows how to sew to make your outer camo layer. Then for water proof pack a long camo rain coat in your day pack.

After all that is purchased go balls to the wall (or whatever you have left of your budget) on boots and socks.

warnniklz
01-28-2011, 05:25 PM
Then you can slowly upgrade gear from there.

Big Pops
01-28-2011, 08:45 PM
i just got a browning XPO jacket (239$) or sumthing, 100% waterproof, i am never cold and never too hot, if you can afford it get it, i am very pleased with the buy and i like the Mo brk up infinity also.
heres the jacket link. http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/clothing/detail.asp?value=A001&cat_id=304&type_id=693&content=xpo™-big-game-x-change-jacket-outdoor-hunting-and-shooting-clothing

.300WSMImpact!
01-29-2011, 09:08 AM
buy used save money, there is lots of sites that you can buy used gear from, I have expensive gear that I did not pay full price for, and I could not afford full price, take your time pick what you like and buy the stuff slowly,

I would buy sitka gear, go on the website, pick what you like and research buying, PM me for the other sites I use to buy used gear