PDA

View Full Version : Snow and elk in Peace, 7-20A

sneg
01-28-2011, 08:47 AM
We are heading to 7-20A in one week for LEH anterless elk for few days. I have been watching weather and have talked to some farmers. Seems snow levels are quite low and temperatures do not drop much below -10 C. Hence not much of elk movement around and no elk on farmers' fields. I wonder what you local guys or someone been there recently see ? How much snow, how deep, is it icy ? What conditions around Chetwynd, Dawson creek , Ft. St John. ? I have couple pointers, but it is all like "elk been there before and do not know where it is now". So we plan to travel around little bit ,hopefully find an elk signs and take it from there.

Any advise appreciated.
Thanks
Sneg :)

CanuckShooter
01-28-2011, 10:19 AM
Be prepared for traffic delays, they have been having avalanches in the pass.....unless your flying into Dawson Creek and renting a truck??

MuleyMadness
01-28-2011, 10:24 AM
Well to avoid the nightmare of the Pine pass, you can go via Grande Cache, Grand Prairie, and through that way, much better roads, and it doesn't take any more time.

moose2
01-28-2011, 10:27 AM
We have just had a week of thawing up here and the Peace hills have alot of open areas on them now. The elk should be hitting these slopes now. Pine river breaks or the peace breaks between Hudson hope and FSJ would be good bets , some are crown and some would require permission to get to them. It is snowing again today with a wind chill of -20.
Mike

elkdom
01-28-2011, 10:45 AM
started snowing and blowing last night about 7pm,about 5to6 inches of new snow over night, still snowing hard at this time, visibility about 400 meters, high winds and white-out conditions, compact snow on hi-ways and about minus-12 celcius and a wind chill about minus -20, till this lets up, most critters will be bedded down out of the wind,,,,

CanuckShooter
01-28-2011, 10:58 AM
Well to avoid the nightmare of the Pine pass, you can go via Grande Cache, Grand Prairie, and through that way, much better roads, and it doesn't take any more time.

I imagine the gas prices would be better too..and if you bought anything on the way you'd be avoiding the HST tax here in BC.

elkdom
01-28-2011, 11:07 AM
I imagine the gas prices would be better too..and if you bought anything on the way you'd be avoiding the HST tax here in BC.

gas $1.12---$1.16 in DCrk,

30 klms south east from DCrk at Demmit Alta $1.01, farther east, its all over the map,

CanuckShooter
01-28-2011, 11:10 AM
gas $1.12---$1.16 in DCrk,

30 klms south east from DCrk at Demmit Alta $1.01, farther east, its all over the map,

Just as I thought, with them travelling the distance they are the savings could be significant. Be aware though, they have photo radar in Alberta.:mrgreen:

elkdom
01-28-2011, 11:15 AM
Just as I thought, with them travelling the distance they are the savings could be significant. Be aware though, they have photo radar in Alberta.:mrgreen:

not always a sure bet everywhere in Alta, 20 klms east from Demmit alta, in Beaverlodge and Hythe the other day it was $1.18 per liter, one end of GP $1.05, the other end, $1.01

Jasper, Hinton and Gande Cache will be wayyyyyyyy UP there$$$, and along the way from Kamloops to Jasper

CanuckShooter
01-28-2011, 11:31 AM
How are diesel prices? They seem to either be way higher than gasoline or way lower...depending on where your at???

With these freeze thaw cycles we have been going through the concerns with slides and avalanches should be taken seriously if planning a trip right now.

sneg
01-28-2011, 05:36 PM
Gents,
Thanks for advise.Specially about driving conditions.
Are there roads regularly plowed ? Interesting about driving via Alberta,never tought about that.
Will drive F350 diesel.

moosinaround
01-28-2011, 05:43 PM
I'm heading up on the 3rd for 4 days. Gonna take the Pine Pass, and diesel is at 1.18 around PG. Fill up in PG at the Husky or Super Save on the south end of town as they are a few cents cheaper than the rest of town. See ya up there! Moosin

elkdom
01-28-2011, 05:44 PM
How are diesel prices? They seem to either be way higher than gasoline or way lower...depending on where your at???

With these freeze thaw cycles we have been going through the concerns with slides and avalanches should be taken seriously if planning a trip right now.

different prices most places for Diesel , anywhere from $1.17 to $1.27, farther north?? YOU takes your chances,,, lol

leadpillproductions
01-28-2011, 06:27 PM
It sucks right now , but just take your time , Pm me i might be able to steer you into some elk.

boxhitch
01-28-2011, 09:08 PM
local res tells me the elk are still around his area but movement is only when pressured or they graze off a field and move on to the next
Maybe the extra snow in the las tcouple of weeks has changed that

sneg
01-28-2011, 09:40 PM
Probably low sigthing of elk in fields is due to low snow levels. elk can move around as they wish.
Seems there is no serious weather change conditions in forecast for next week or so. At this moment I m not sure where we are going to concentrate most of our efforts. So for accomodation plan to take camper and camp on side of major road.Hopefully won't get snowed in.:icon_frow

sneg
01-28-2011, 09:44 PM
Ok. good luck.
We are leaving Fri PM.stop to say hi if you see silver F350 with camper on top.:-D

I'm heading up on the 3rd for 4 days. Gonna take the Pine Pass, and diesel is at 1.18 around PG. Fill up in PG at the Husky or Super Save on the south end of town as they are a few cents cheaper than the rest of town. See ya up there! Moosin

lunatic
01-28-2011, 10:41 PM
If your looking for low snow areas, then stay away from Tumbler Ridge. Must be a big difference from Dawson (haven't been that way for awhile) but there sure is lots in Tumbler!

sneg
01-29-2011, 12:01 PM
Thanks for comments Lunatic.Not that much looking for low snow,but for thick game area. I have got snow shoes and willing to hike. This just seems with low snow level elk moving quite easy. We are shipping out in one week, forecast seems moderate,but as usual it all can change in blink of the eye.

If your looking for low snow areas, then stay away from Tumbler Ridge. Must be a big difference from Dawson (haven't been that way for awhile) but there sure is lots in Tumbler!

sneg
02-02-2011, 08:42 AM
Question to local folks; How is the snow level now around Chetwynd ?
Seems there was no much of snow fall lately. I m planning to bring ATV and just wonder if roads are passable for ATV.
Did anyone drive HWY 97 lately, Pine pass ? How was it ? Weather maps show poor driving conditions.

Thanks for intel
Sneg

elkdom
02-02-2011, 09:13 AM
plus+5 Cecilius most of the night and the same this morning, VERY windy,,

the only "roads" passable on rubber tired quad would be roads that have been snow plowed,,,

sneg
02-02-2011, 11:10 AM
oooo Ok.Thanks for comments

plus+5 Cecilius most of the night and the same this morning, VERY windy,,

the only "roads" passable on rubber tired quad would be roads that have been snow plowed,,,

SUAFOYT
02-02-2011, 11:23 AM
Question to local folks; How is the snow level now around Chetwynd ?
Seems there was no much of snow fall lately. I m planning to bring ATV and just wonder if roads are passable for ATV.
Did anyone drive HWY 97 lately, Pine pass ? How was it ? Weather maps show poor driving conditions.

Thanks for intel
Sneg

We were up there the week of the 16th and there was no shortage of snow. They've had more since so as long as it stays cold you may have a good chance. If it warms up as it appears to have done today the winds can really pick up. As far as your route goes we've always liked the one from Grande Cache to Grande Prairie. It's shorter than the PG route and there isn't the constant speed changes for all the towns between Kamloops and the Pine Pass. Good luck.

d6dan
02-02-2011, 01:36 PM
Heading up to Chetwynd on the 12th. My brother has lined up some elk on private property for me to hunt. So far things are looking good!. My nephew has a bull draw and I have a cow draw..Should be alot of fun for a week..With any luck I will have some pics and a story for you all.. I'll be keeping in touch with Elkdom..

Sneg, PM me ...

hunter1947
02-02-2011, 01:52 PM
Heading up to Chetwynd on the 12th. My brother has lined up some elk on private property for me to hunt. So far things are looking good!. My nephew has a bull draw and I have a cow draw..Should be alot of fun for a week..With any luck I will have some pics and a story for you all.. I'll be keeping in touch with Elkdom..

Sneg, PM me ...

Dan I heard that they up there have them cows tied to a tree for you :wink:..

f350ps
02-02-2011, 02:44 PM
Just got back Sunday with a pair of Girlies.Snow was about 2' deep in the fields and places that don't get wind swept. I would check out the BearFlats area. Low temps are the key to finding them in the Ag fields but there's lots of crown that hold good numbers. Go to Backcountry Sports and pick up the map book that shows all the crown and private then start knocking on doors, the book gives ya the landowners name. An ATV is pretty much useless right now, a sled is a must unless you want to work like a dog. Good luck! K

d6dan
02-02-2011, 06:08 PM
An ATV is pretty much useless right now, a sled is a must unless you want to work like a dog. Good luck! K

I didn't know you can use a Sled for hunting elk or is that just for retrieval?. Please enlighten us..:-|

MuleyMadness
02-02-2011, 07:17 PM
You can use a sled to hunt unless there is a specific restriction against it where you are going. It's like any other ground based conveyance, you can hunt from, retrieve with it, use to spot etc, you just can't shoot from or off of it (well you can of course, but not everyone :) )

f350ps
02-02-2011, 07:19 PM
I didn't know you can use a Sled for hunting elk or is that just for retrieval?. Please enlighten us..:-|
I'm not gonna waste my time enlightening you, figure it out for yourself! K

moosinaround
02-02-2011, 08:30 PM
I'm not gonna waste my time enlightening you, figure it out for yourself! K
Holy!!?? You 2 have history, or are you always this rude??:shock: Moosin

Guido02
02-02-2011, 08:41 PM
I hope you have a skidoo as you will not be driving around fields in this area. had about 20 inchs in three days but we are now on second chinook. Snow dropped but crust will not allow you to drive anywhere
Good lick in your quest but my question is why do you want to shoot a cow that may be well along with a calf?

f350ps
02-02-2011, 08:45 PM
Holy!!?? You 2 have history, or are you always this rude??:shock: Moosin
No history, was just trying to be helpful to the OP, I don't need to explain the regs to anyone, been playing this game a long time, I think after 40 yrs of hunting I've got the rules figured out. K

KodiakHntr
02-02-2011, 09:33 PM
Good lick in your quest but my question is why do you want to shoot a cow that may be well along with a calf?

Zero difference between killing a cow right now that has a fetus in it, and killing one back in the GOS that had a fetus in it........Still going to be tasty.

MuleyMadness
02-02-2011, 10:39 PM
Zero difference between killing a cow right now that has a fetus in it, and killing one back in the GOS that had a fetus in it........Still going to be tasty.

Exactly!!! Tasty tasty tasty. Really with the extremely healthy population up there, killing a cow that is possibly preggo is no big deal, and not going to hurt the numbers at all. And KodiakHntr is right, they had a fetus in them in the fall too, so no difference between the seasons.

moosinaround
02-02-2011, 10:40 PM
I hope you have a skidoo as you will not be driving around fields in this area. had about 20 inchs in three days but we are now on second chinook. Snow dropped but crust will not allow you to drive anywhere
My tag is for any sex, any age, so a bull is preferred, but if I cannot find a bull, it will be a cow, hopefully dry! Might not see any?? It sure is gonna be 5 nice days in the field though!! Moosin

coach
02-02-2011, 11:10 PM
Good luck, Moosin! I've been successful both times I've had the antlerless draw up there. I wish I'd had the either sex draw last time as I watched 9 bulls walk in front if me at 100 yards - three of them were 6 points! Looking forward to the pics and stories here on HBC when you get back.

MuleyMadness
02-03-2011, 09:58 AM
I love that hunt. It's not the best hunt, but being out there in Jan/Feb, in that amazing country, meeting all those great people really makes me regret putting in the Hail Mary LEH for the Rosies this year. Wouldn't it be cool to get a bison/late season elk double header though...that's my dream :)

sneg
02-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Exactly my point. This is excellent oportunity to explore great country and have some off main season hunting.
Thanks to everybody for input. looking forward to this trip.

:-D

I love that hunt. It's not the best hunt, but being out there in Jan/Feb, in that amazing country, meeting all those great people really makes me regret putting in the Hail Mary LEH for the Rosies this year. Wouldn't it be cool to get a bison/late season elk double header though...that's my dream :)

moosinaround
02-03-2011, 11:48 AM
About to leave PG in a couple hours, I'm all jacked up on mountain Dew, ready to kick some Peace country elk a$$!!! See you folks in a few days, with pictures anyways, hopefully of an elk! Moosin

sneg
02-03-2011, 11:58 AM
About to leave PG in a couple hours, I'm all jacked up on mountain Dew, ready to kick some Peace country elk a$$!!! See you folks in a few days, with pictures anyways, hopefully of an elk! Moosin

Good luck,drive safely.

Will be right behind you, leaving Fri PM. leave some elk for us.LOL.:)

Sneg

buzz720
02-03-2011, 06:09 PM
Good Luck moosin, if you dont find anything try around Hudson's Hope, I just came back from a 2 day hunt with a nice 6 point, it was in a herd of about 30 other bulls and no cows

leadpillproductions
02-03-2011, 07:06 PM
Good luck guys hope you get somethin

Ride Red
02-03-2011, 07:11 PM
Good Luck moosin, if you dont find anything try around Hudson's Hope, I just came back from a 2 day hunt with a nice 6 point, it was in a herd of about 30 other bulls and no cows

Where's your pics ???

buzz720
02-03-2011, 07:47 PM
http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc288/buzz720/?action=view&current=IMG_0213.jpg

sneg
02-03-2011, 09:44 PM
Good luck guys hope you get somethin

Gents,

Thanks for all the advises. Appreciated.

Sneg

d6dan
02-23-2011, 09:16 AM
Just wondering how everyone did on their late season elk hunts? I was lucky and took a yearling calf.:-D. No pics as it was getting dark.:icon_frow