PDA

View Full Version : My first try at a traditional bow.

BiG Boar
01-27-2011, 08:37 PM
This traditional stuff is easy.... Especially when you have a great teacher. :-D

This was my first time trying out my new bow and a new sport, the recurve bow. I have shot compound for 1.5 years, but this traditional just seemed like a fun challenge. And it was! Far different than compound. However somehow more rewarding at the same time. I have a ton left to learn as I am just getting started, but I got some great help (from a member on here) to wet my appetite. Even though my finger tips feel like they're blistering from the bow string, I have found something really REALLY fun. For those of you who can consistently hit the mark with your compound, give this a try! The bows are way cheaper and there is something just more exciting about it when your arrow hits the mark.

I progressed through the 10, 20, 30, and 40 yard targets within an hour and a half's lesson. After getting a reasonable group at 40, we were about to call it quits on a high note, of course I said one more group of 4 shots. Arms shaking here was my final target. All arrows were different, trying to figure out what flies best.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn5/bigbore14/5045e8e2.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn5/bigbore14/4da2c763.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn5/bigbore14/ee0098e8.jpg

Looking forward to getting out again! Thanks for the help! Dave

nomad
01-27-2011, 08:45 PM
Recurves are addictive! I've been shooting one for a few years now and will always enjoy using it! Imagine carrying that around hunting! Keeps things about as simple as it can get, yet can be very effective!

digger dogger
01-27-2011, 09:03 PM
Don't say ur gonna try a grizz with it Dave!

Bow Walker
01-27-2011, 10:27 PM
Congratulations. Great shooting, and after only a little bit of instruction too.

I'd take a dozen each of those three arrows grouped around the clay pigeon and forget that flyer!

Johnnybear
01-28-2011, 01:51 AM
Wow that's great grouping at 40 yards. Nice looking bow too. What make?

Like to see you do that 100 times over. Then you'll be ready to shoot game at 20 yards. I'm no expert by any means but I picked up the trad bow first and have never shot a compound ever. It's a short game. Starting with the compound you might want to get the long bombers out of your head. This is just advice from trad guys I have talked to:-D.

BiG Boar
01-28-2011, 09:00 AM
The bow is a check mate. 57 lbs at 28''
I won't plan on hunting with it till my groups are what I would consider deadly.
Maybe this fall in the tree stand, who knows.

digger dogger
01-28-2011, 09:37 AM
Aww c'mon Dave, I wanna see see your fill up your boxers!lol
I'll stand 2 ft behind you with a 45-70! :-) and a headcam.

Johnnybear
01-28-2011, 12:11 PM
The bow is a check mate. 57 lbs at 28''
I won't plan on hunting with it till my groups are what I would consider deadly.
Maybe this fall in the tree stand, who knows.

That is a sweet bow and your right it sure is fun:-D.

Three Rivers archery has a couple of great DVD's call "Masters of the Barebow" which has a bunch of well known trad archers showing their set ups and giving shooting tips. Might want to check them out.

greybark
01-28-2011, 04:24 PM
That is a sweet bow and your right it sure is fun:-D.

Three Rivers archery has a couple of great DVD's call "Masters of the Barebow" which has a bunch of well known trad archers showing their set ups and giving shooting tips. Might want to check them out.

:-D:-D Hey Johnnybear , You sure know how to hurt a guys feeling`s .:-D

Johnnybear
01-28-2011, 06:30 PM
:-D:-D Hey Johnnybear , You sure know how to hurt a guys feeling`s .:-D

Sorry Greybark. You are obiously a great instructor and I'm sure BB has learned lot's from you. I sure could use some guidance myself.

I just suggested some video's that show how different folks like to shoot with different techniques etc. I found them to be very educational and interesting. I didn't mean anything to disrespect you:-D. Nothing beats a personal instructor.

Bow Walker
01-28-2011, 07:49 PM
greybark - I wouldn't worry about any competition in the teaching area if I were you. Although you do look a little perplexed int hat last photo...

greybark
01-28-2011, 08:35 PM
:-D Hey Johnnybear , I was joking hence the :-D .
I do appreciate your enthusiasm and willingness to get involved .
Cheers

greybark
01-28-2011, 08:48 PM
greybark - I wouldn't worry about any competition in the teaching area if I were you. Although you do look a little perplexed int hat last photo...

:-D Hell I suggested not shooting that last round as he was tired and shaking like a rat humping a tennis ball . Dave dug in and perservered displaying an attitude that will serve him well .
:wink:So much for the instruction .

:-D To those sniper Tradies out there 'BE AFEARED , BE REALLY AFEARED'.:-D
Cheers

Stéphane
01-29-2011, 09:02 AM
Dave, congrats on the recurve. Really nice bow. I don't know if I should curse you and Greybark for posting these trads thread. I'm itching now. Just the freggin' weight is so appealing.
Not to mention that it probably makes one more aware of the little mistakes that a parallel limb bow would forgive. Am I right?

firstlight
02-02-2011, 07:59 AM
Nice grouping at 40 yds!

You'll be amazed of the relationship you will have with your bow when it comes to shooting traditional.

It will only grow stronger over the years.

Enjoy!

BiG Boar
02-02-2011, 08:08 AM
Stéphane, I think learning to shoot the recurve will help my compound shooting. I know it already has. There were lots of things I didn't know I was doing, that I was doing wrong. I really look forward to getting out more with the recurve. It really turns it into a challenge.

I go down to the states today to pick up my new compound and arrows. Note to self, never go to a 3d shoot unless you need new equipment.

Later today I take the Ted Nugent blood brother from the 90's for one last hunt.

new hunter
06-05-2011, 12:52 PM
Nice bow and nice shooting . Ever think of going primitive and building a self bow? There is something amazing about producing a lethal , accurate hunting tool with your own hands . If you think accurate shooting with a traditional recurve is a thrill , you may find the absolute simplicity of a hand made long bow appealling as well .
As first light suggested there is a real relationship between an archer and his traditional bow , I find that to be especially true with my selfmade {almost like an extension of your soul}.