PDA

View Full Version : Any tips on places to hunt near Vernon? preferably the north side of vernon

BlackwaterHunter
01-27-2011, 03:22 PM
I visit that area faily often and I absoluty love the country, but would like to try hunting there. :mrgreen:

nano
01-27-2011, 03:51 PM
I hunt up there every year and love the area. You could try coldstream, Oyama, Harris creek,and King Eddie lake to name a few. Also pick up a back roads map book.

BlackwaterHunter
01-27-2011, 04:46 PM
Thanks. Another question, should i just stick to logging roads, or should I get way in the bush to get away from the people?

nano
01-27-2011, 05:44 PM
You can head up logging roads but its best to get out and hunt the clear cuts. If your looking for grouse then drive the logging roads.

BlackwaterHunter
01-27-2011, 06:04 PM
Alright thanks, now what game is there besides deer and small game?

Dannybuoy
01-27-2011, 06:21 PM
Alright thanks, now what game is there besides deer and small game?
The elusive immy moose and lots of cougar

doubled
01-27-2011, 06:21 PM
Bear, moose, yote, etc. Elk if you head east a little ways. All of the spots mentioned are south or east of Vernon.

BlackwaterHunter
01-27-2011, 06:38 PM
sounds great :D not to much of a chance of running into turkeys is there?

Dannybuoy
01-27-2011, 07:37 PM
sounds great :D not to much of a chance of running into turkeys is there?
nope , I've never seen or heard one while hunting in or around vernon,
I think they are more to the south ( kelowna ) or over in the kootenays
towards nelson

nano
01-27-2011, 07:44 PM
nope , I've never seen or heard one while hunting in or around vernon,
I think they are more to the south ( kelowna ) or over in the kootenays
towards nelson

There was talk of a man that was raising them on a farm and releasing them up coldstream awhile back.

ufishifish2
01-27-2011, 07:44 PM
Look up another member from here. I believe his name is "Pointman." He is from near Vernon and has started a few posts over the past year asking basically the same questions. I believe his wife was going to sell off his guns, divorce him, and cut off his nuts, or something to that tune if he didn't get a buck this season. We all tried to help him out and with all the info he now has available, all you should really need to do is follow him through the bush and pick off whatever he doesn't see.

Dannybuoy
01-27-2011, 07:52 PM
There was talk of a man that was raising them on a farm and releasing them up coldstream awhile back.
ha ha thats right , i dont know waht happened to those .. there were 6 i think and at least one of them got squished on the road .. if they did survive the coyotes etc , they would be in residential or park land and unhuntable . Pete might know more about that as that wasnt far from his place

BlackwaterHunter
01-27-2011, 08:08 PM
I raised turkeys last year, i would honestly be surprised if they all didnt die within two days.. those birds apparently are smart in the wild, this is not true with commercial breeds

nano
01-27-2011, 08:14 PM
ha ha thats right , i dont know waht happened to those .. there were 6 i think and at least one of them got squished on the road .. if they did survive the coyotes etc , they would be in residential or park land and unhuntable . Pete might know more about that as that wasnt far from his place

Would be nice to know what happend?

Dannybuoy
01-27-2011, 08:32 PM
ya , wild turkeys were released by CO's back in the late 70's or early 80's in ufishifish2's homerange but I dont think they survived either

coach
01-27-2011, 08:40 PM
There's a few turkeys around Vernon. Mostly on private land though..

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/coach108/IMG_5417_edited.jpg

Dannybuoy
01-27-2011, 08:46 PM
coach , i would bet thats south of vernon ... I think I've walked every inch of that area around that photo ... a few years ago . turkeys havent been there for many years

coach
01-27-2011, 08:48 PM
I lived there for four years. I saw them in 2007, 2008, none in 2009 and a group of three Toms in 2010. I'm not sure how long they've been in that area.

ufishifish2
01-27-2011, 09:14 PM
So this thread has gone to the birds eh?
Only gobblers I know of around here were some released near the Caravan Theater just outside of Armstrong. Unfortunately an old lady started feeding them to keep them in her yard and they never really went wild. Last I heard, the coyotes and neighborhood dogs had basically finished off all but a few of them.

boxhitch
01-27-2011, 09:21 PM
I lived there for four years. I saw them in 2007, 2008, none in 2009 and a group of three Toms in 2010. I'm not sure how long they've been in that area.Those traps look familiar. A few birds in that area. Not so sure there is a season though.
The birds in Coldstream are history, gone for a couple of years

Dannybuoy
01-27-2011, 09:29 PM
So this thread has gone to the birds eh?
Only gobblers I know of around here were some released near the Caravan Theater just outside of Armstrong. Unfortunately an old lady started feeding them to keep them in her yard and they never really went wild. Last I heard, the coyotes and neighborhood dogs had basically finished off all but a few of them.
Yup , not meant to be a highjack ... you must be a newcomer to the falklland area ... there were some released westwold/falkland area late 70's early 80's Ive never seen one up there though

ufishifish2
01-27-2011, 11:06 PM
Yup , not meant to be a highjack ... you must be a newcomer to the falklland area ... there were some released westwold/falkland area late 70's early 80's Ive never seen one up there though
Yup, only been here for 10 or 12 years. Born and raised in Vernon but couldn't stand the red lights and stop signs!
As for the birds, I have been told by the local ranchers that there used to be really good pheasant hunting in Westwold when irrigation was left to nature. Once they started flooding the valley in the spring and irrigating all summer the pheasant nests were wiped out as well as the bird populations. Maybe that effected the turkeys too?!?!?

This thread is really side tracked!!! Sorry that I'm not helping!!!

If'n you really want to know where to hunt on the south side of Vernon just send a PM to "Jelvis." He'll have lots of road names and areas for you!!

Pete
01-27-2011, 11:21 PM

Turkeys were in my front yard. Chased a Hen Turkey off the airport runway 2 mornings in a row last summer. As well you could hear them calling on the hillside to the south of Paddlewheel. Had a hen stopping traffic on hospital hill a couple of years ago.

kebes
01-28-2011, 12:59 PM
Take a drive between Vernon and the Needles ferry....pick a side road....you'll find something you like pretty quickly :)

fusion
01-28-2011, 06:47 PM
Take a drive between Vernon and the Needles ferry....pick a side road....you'll find something you like pretty quickly :)

X2, tons of country to explore between Vernon and Edgewood.

boxhitch
01-28-2011, 08:24 PM
How far north ? Enderby to Mabel Lake , Hunters Range, Hidden Lake, North Trinity, Ashton Creek, Wap River
North-west would get you to Fly Hills, Spanish Lake, Paxton Valley, Larch Hills

Gunner
01-28-2011, 08:44 PM
How far north ? Enderby to Mabel Lake , Hunters Range, Hidden Lake, North Trinity, Ashton Creek, Wap River
North-west would get you to Fly Hills, Spanish Lake, Paxton Valley, Larch HillsLots of country to hunt through all those areas,especially if you get off the roads.Of course a little local knowledge never hurts :mrgreen: Gunner

boxhitch
01-28-2011, 08:59 PM
Any wolves around this winter ?