PDA

View Full Version : I Called The CO Today.

hunter1947
01-27-2011, 11:56 AM
I hunted a couple times with this aboriginal back years ago very nice person he is.

I reacquainted myself to him he said he will take me ice fishing one day I said sure that will be nice to learn the ropes on how to do this.

He has lived in Cranbrook for around 20 years or so anyways he said when we go ice fishing I will take my rifle with us we will be traveling through aboriginal land.

He said if I see a bull elk I will shot it for meat I said no you won't bring your gun with me when we go ice fishing period.

He said why I am allowed to shoot animals out of season I am an aboriginal.

I said will shoot nothing when you are with me he said if I have written permission from the chief would this be fine to bring my rifle and shoot a bull elk if I see one I said no not with me even if you where allowed to shoot a elk you are not going to be with me when you do this.

Anyways I said to myself I will go and drop off into the office and see a CO and tell him what he said to me and get the legal feed back from the man.

The CO was not in at the time so I asked the lady at the counter if the CO could call me up when he can she said I will give him your number to call you latter.

The CO calls me I told him the story about what this long last friend was going to do I said he lived in Alberta and moved here about 25 years ago the CO heard my story and said if you where with him and he did shoot a elk you are just as much to blame as he is I would be charged for pouching and my truck would be towed.

The CO said that he can not shot an elk here if he is from Alberta he has to go by out regs same as others.

I sure am glad that I go with my instincts and find out what is and what is not.

Please don't turn this thread into something I don't want this person could have been from any race ,Thank you ,H-47. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

BiG Boar
01-27-2011, 11:58 AM
So this indian guy, is he from BC? Is there an open season in the area for elk at any point? Is he hunting on native land?

01-27-2011, 11:59 AM
I hunted a couple times with this aboriginal back years ago very nice person he is.

I reacquainted myself to him he said he will take me ice fishing one day I said sure that will be nice to learn the ropes on how to do this.

He has lived in Cranbrook for around 20 years or so anyways he said when we go ice fishing I will take my rifle with us we will be traveling through aboriginal land.

He said if I see a bull elk I will shot it for meat I said no you won't bring your gun with me when we go ice fishing period.

He said why I am allowed to shoot animals out of season I am an aboriginal.

I said will shoot nothing when you are with me he said if I have written permission from the chief would this be fine to bring my rifle and shoot a bull elk if I see one I said no not with me even if you where allowed to shoot a elk you are not going to be with me when you do this.

Anyways I said I will go and drop off into the office and see a CO and tell him what he said to me.

The CO was not in at the time so I asked the lady at the counter if the CO could call me up when he can she said I will give him your number to call you latter.

The CO calls me I told him the story about what this long last friend was going to do I said he lived in Alberta and moved here about 25 years ago the CO heard my story and said if you where with him and he did shoot a elk you are just as much to blame as he is I would be charged for pouching and my truck would be towed.

The CO said that he can not shot an elk here if he is from Alberta he has to go bu out regs same as others.

I sure am glad that I go with my instincts and find out what is and what is not.

Please don't turn this thread into something I don't want ,Thank you ,H-47. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

Good job Wayne.

sawmill
01-27-2011, 12:00 PM
what lake were you heading to Wayne?Not sure if I know any on Abo land.

Ozone
01-27-2011, 12:01 PM
Have you told him what the CO said? and what was his reaction? I would also be interested in the cheifs point of view on this also.

hunter1947
01-27-2011, 12:03 PM
So this indian guy, is he from BC? Is there an open season in the area for elk at any point? Is he hunting on native land?

Big Bore he is originally from Alberta that means he cant hunt here out of season if he did come from a aboriginal band from here in cranbrook and lived on the reserve it probably would be a different story.

hunter1947
01-27-2011, 12:04 PM
Have you told him what the CO said? and what was his reaction? I would also be interested in the cheifs point of view on this also.

I just walked in the door a few min ago I will tell this native what the CO told me latter today.

hunter1947
01-27-2011, 12:05 PM
what lake were you heading to Wayne?Not sure if I know any on Abo land.

Its a wired name lake I can't remember the name of the lake Joe ??.

Big Pops
01-27-2011, 12:09 PM
whats up with all these natives poaching? been a few stories lately...?

beni
01-27-2011, 12:13 PM
Yes, aboriginals can ONLY hunt out of season on their HOME RESERVE Land. And they can only hunt animals native to said area.

IE.

I am FN, and if I decided that I didn't have enough meat in the freezer I could go home head up the mountains and try find a deer. (If the other natives hadn't already killed off all wildlife there =( ).

The elk that were introduced into Lytton years ago were actually dropped off on my Family's property. However it is an animal that is not Native to the area = No Go. I think they are also considered a "Trophy" Animal as well?

AFAIK, I would be able to get permission from another Band in BC to hunt on their land for sustenance only. (Does not include Trophy Animals, Rams etc..)

There are WAYY too many Natives who think they can do whatever the F*** they want and it drives me to resent FN as a whole.

Personally, I hunt during the regular season just like everyone else. I apply for LEH just like everyone. I just don't buy tags, though I follow ALL of the bag limit rules.

/rant

MuleyMadness
01-27-2011, 12:21 PM
Yes, aboriginals can ONLY hunt out of season on their HOME RESERVE Land. And they can only hunt animals native to said area.

IE.

I am FN, and if I decided that I didn't have enough meat in the freezer I could go home head up the mountains and try find a deer. (If the other natives hadn't already killed off all wildlife there =( ).

The elk that were introduced into Lytton years ago were actually dropped off on my Family's property. However it is an animal that is not Native to the area = No Go. I think they are also considered a "Trophy" Animal as well?

AFAIK, I would be able to get permission from another Band in BC to hunt on their land for sustenance only. (Does not include Trophy Animals, Rams etc..)

There are WAYY too many Natives who think they can do whatever the F*** they want and it drives me to resent FN as a whole.

Personally, I hunt during the regular season just like everyone else. I apply for LEH just like everyone. I just don't buy tags, though I follow ALL of the bag limit rules.

/rant

That is pretty much my understanding of it as well. Something else, at least as far as I am aware is, when one band member is accessing another band's land, they have to be formally invited (whether or not that means in writing, I don't know) by the host band's leaders, not just Joe down the road.

I wonder if this guy misunderstood the rules here (not justifying it, not by any stretch of the imagination) being from AB, because there, a status indian from ANYWHERE can shoot any animal, at any time, in any place.

Good job Wayne. I do believe, with the recent court rulings, that there appears to be a change in political will to no longer allow this kind of behaviour. I know they got off lightly, but it's the first time in a long time they have not gotten away with it all together.

GoatGuy
01-27-2011, 12:30 PM

IE.

/rant

FN can hunt any wildlife. There were no moose in BC until at least the early 1900s and there is no restriction. The introduction concept does not apply.

The Province does not recognize FN hunting in other bands areas but they will not pursue an issue unless the local band has an issue. If the local band gives permission from a BC FN outside of their traditional territory then there's no issue.

FN can apply for LEH which is guaranteed or can harvest sheep or WHY so long as its sustainable. Typically FN interests in wildlife is highest with deer, moose and elk and caribou where they exist but you will find significant interest in grizzly and sometimes sheep/goat.

beni
01-27-2011, 12:53 PM
FN can hunt any wildlife. There were no moose in BC until at least the early 1900s and there is no restriction. The introduction concept does not apply.

The Province does not recognize FN hunting in other bands areas but they will not pursue an issue unless the local band has an issue. If the local band gives permission from a BC FN outside of their traditional territory then there's no issue.

FN can apply for LEH which is guaranteed or can harvest sheep or WHY so long as its sustainable. Typically FN interests in wildlife is highest with deer, moose and elk and caribou where they exist but you will find significant interest in grizzly and sometimes sheep/goat.

Hmm, I have been told of a case where a FN man shot a ram (don't remember location) but he ended up getting charged because of it. I also do not remember if he was on reserve land at the time.

I am happy that they are becoming more strict on his, but I hope they would hand out more severe sentences. I would love to see a Lytton LEH again, but with all of the poaching and what not I doubt it will ever happen..

ufishifish2
01-27-2011, 01:10 PM
I am happy that they are becoming more strict on his, but I hope......

I hope you aren't actually fooled into thinking that they are becoming more strict on this issue. It seems to only be getting worse with this spineless government. IMO of course.

Good job Wayner!!

GoatGuy
01-27-2011, 01:12 PM
Hmm, I have been told of a case where a FN man shot a ram (don't remember location) but he ended up getting charged because of it. I also do not remember if he was on reserve land at the time.

I am happy that they are becoming more strict on his, but I hope they would hand out more severe sentences. I would love to see a Lytton LEH again, but with all of the poaching and what not I doubt it will ever happen..

'They' are becoming less strict. Essentially, so long as the local band doesn't take issue with outside bands hunting without permission neither will government.

In terms of conservation there can be an issue, but it will go to court and it will cost a lot of $.

KodiakHntr
01-27-2011, 01:45 PM
he said if I have written permission from the chief .

Technically speaking, this would of made it legal.

hunter1947
01-27-2011, 02:07 PM
Technically speaking, this would of made it legal.

No it would not be legal reason being is that he is not from this band in cranbrook he is from a band where he lived in Alberta there for he has to obied with our hunting regs ,KodiackHntr if this Indian was from the Indian band here in Cranbrook then it would be a different story. .

GoatGuy
01-27-2011, 02:38 PM
No it would not be legal reason being is that he is not from this band in cranbrook he is from a band where he lived in Alberta there for he has to obied with our hunting regs ,KodiackHntr if this Indian was from the Indian band here in Cranbrook then it would be a different story. .

Not sure about inter-Province but if he was from a FN group in BC he would be fine. There are members of bands outside of the EK that hunt elk in the EK with local band permission.

The COS has been told by government not to pursue these issues unless the local band has an issue.

Mikey Rafiki
01-27-2011, 02:52 PM
Not sure about inter-Province but if he was from a FN group in BC he would be fine. There are members of bands outside of the EK that hunt elk in the EK with local band permission.

The COS has been told by government not to pursue these issues unless the local band has an issue.

So would the CO ask for proof that the local band has authorized a hunt like this, or ask the local band themselves? Or would they just take the guys word for it that he's got permission?

I'm interested to hear about what management practices and consequences the bands have for any of these acts. Do the bands have their own investigation or disciplinary system. I just don't hear many "good news" stories that relate to this kind of stuff. I'm sure they are out there, but I guess like any news you only hear about the bad stuff.

GoatGuy
01-27-2011, 03:01 PM
So would the CO ask for proof that the local band has authorized a hunt like this, or ask the local band themselves? Or would they just take the guys word for it that he's got permission?

I'm interested to hear about what management practices and consequences the bands have for any of these acts. Do the bands have their own investigation or disciplinary system. I just don't hear many "good news" stories that relate to this kind of stuff. I'm sure they are out there, but I guess like any news you only hear about the bad stuff.

It varies all across the Province. Some bands share management plans with government and other stakeholders, some don't. Some have their own version of 'game wardens' as well with varying roles within wildlife management.

Often they will issue a letter to FN members from outside that territory if they are giving them permission to hunt.

There have been FN from other bands that have harvested wildlife in other bands areas without permission. The COS asks the local band what they'd like to do - if the local band has no issue then that is the end of the subject.

Everett
01-27-2011, 03:11 PM

Provincial boundries mean nothing in this case if the guy is status and has permission from the local band he can hunt. Hell he could be from a US band and would still be able to hunt with permission and there isn't a prosecuter in BC that would go forward with charges even ifa CO charged someone.

.300WSMImpact!
01-27-2011, 03:40 PM
there is a native fella here that I might hunt with next year, his mom is from one reserve and his dad is from another, so he is limited to hunting in the two regions they are from, if he wants to go anywhere else he has to buy a tag just like anyone else,

bforce750
01-27-2011, 03:42 PM
Its a wired name lake I can't remember the name of the lake Joe ??.

If you were going that direction...probably Hashas(StoneyLK ) Its pretty good there.

#1fishslayer
01-27-2011, 03:52 PM
I am under the understanding that natives have traditional hunting grounds, not limited to reserves. ie crown land.

Craven200
01-27-2011, 04:42 PM
Provincial boundries mean nothing in this case if the guy is status and has permission from the local band he can hunt. Hell he could be from a US band and would still be able to hunt with permission and there isn't a prosecuter in BC that would go forward with charges even ifa CO charged someone.
Wrong... A USA native is not defined as an "Indian" under the Indian Act of Canada, therefore they have zero rights. I believe the CO's in Nelson or Castlegar are dealing with this issue right now regarding a US native who killed an elk this fall in BC. My source claims charges will be submitted and approved.

Craven200
01-27-2011, 04:45 PM
[quote=beni;842948]Hmm, I have been told of a case where a FN man shot a ram (don't remember location) but he ended up getting charged because of it. I also do not remember if he was on reserve land at the time. quote]

It may be the Salmo Ram you are referring too....now owned by Trail F&G club. Can be seen in Cominco Arena. Also is bronzed on HWY 3 at Salmo Info Center.

KodiakHntr
01-27-2011, 05:03 PM

Nope, inter-provincial is a-ok, with written permission from the band in question.....

bugler
01-27-2011, 05:13 PM
[quote=beni;842948]Hmm, I have been told of a case where a FN man shot a ram (don't remember location) but he ended up getting charged because of it. I also do not remember if he was on reserve land at the time. quote]

It may be the Salmo Ram you are referring too....now owned by Trail F&G club. Can be seen in Cominco Arena. Also is bronzed on HWY 3 at Salmo Info Center.

I'm thinking that Salmo Ram ended up in the old hotel at Fort Steele. Anyway, as far as I can remember, the guy likely would have gotten away with it if he had treated the meat properly. Hard to claim you shot it for sustenance when you don't gut it, throw it into your truck and drive to Fernie and then immediately phone your hunting friends to talk about the huge ram you shot. If he had treated the carcass properly and then passed the head off as kind of "oh ya, I guess it is maybe a big one" it is likely he would have kept it.

Because FN are essentially claiming all crown land as traditional territory and it hasn't been settled here they will usually support any aboriginal hunting in that territory if it is for meat. They did not support the Salmo Ram guy. Interesting that Wayne's buddy was looking to shoot a bull. Probably the worst elk to eat right now.

d6dan
01-27-2011, 05:23 PM

The FN was from Fernie area. He shot this Ram at the Salmo sheep feeding station..:icon_frowI have a pic of the Ram before he was shot. Very nice Ram.

.330 Dakota
01-27-2011, 06:41 PM

IE.

/rant

I think you started your post with "I am FN" so if you are of Indian decent and you follow the rules then Hats off to you my freind. My attitude is not about the natives feeling they have the right to hunt out of season. My attitude is about the fact that if all the FN do this and exercise these so called rights then there will be no game of any kind left. I am originally from Ontario where if you hunt within 50 miles of a reserve, you are wasting your time. The game is long gone. Your opinion and actions are refreshing.

leadpillproductions
01-27-2011, 06:57 PM

IE.

/rant
My wife is the same , she just doesnt have to by tags . She wouldnt have it any other way . She thinks the way some of the fn around here just go shoot an animal for everyone in the family is just gross .

shed-hunter1
01-27-2011, 09:24 PM
so what about the guy who camps out at louis creek 3-31 and shoots 10 moose a year can something be done about that hes from langley by the the way

boxhitch
01-27-2011, 09:37 PM
Or the camp that gets set up west of Monte Lake each year ?

hunter1947
01-28-2011, 05:17 AM
I did not really get into why or what with the CO I just wanted to know what rights this native had when it came to shooting an elk out of season.

The CO did not go much further explain anything after I told him that this native did not have a status card.

When the CO heard me say this he said can't hunt anywhere has to obied by the regs just like me or other.

I left it at that I only wanted to know for myself if this native had the right to shot an elk out of season that is on band land with what documents he has..

KodiakHntr
01-28-2011, 08:13 AM
The CO did not go much further explain anything after I told him that this native did not have a status card.

Then you should of put this in your original post......Otherwise all you are doing is stirring shit.

No status card, pretty simple. Tags and licence, same rules as everyone else. Period.

The fact that this guy is native means nothing. An elk killed on band land simply would of been poached.

Coast mountain guy
01-28-2011, 08:14 AM
Every band is different. Some you can get permission from and some are denying "outsiders". Some CO"s have different opinions as well. Some say the letter is ok and others say it doesn't fly and charges will be laid, wether they will hold up is another matter. A native hunter can hunt in his "traditional area" without a tag or leh if there is no concern for population of species. If there is a total closure then it's closed for him or her as well. As for the number of animals that can be shot by one hunter that will remain a mystery. If he needs 2 he can take them, if he needs 10 he's selling them. Native hunters hunting outside their "trad territory" have to follow regs like everyone else and if it's an leh area they need one of them too, but they do not have to by a species tag to hunt in theses areas.

2x4x16
01-28-2011, 08:30 AM

IE.

/rant

Benni thanks for your reply
It is great to hear what other FN feel as far as rights to wildlife. I personlly appreciate your comments and informing us. Good on you, Thanks again

Dutch Ppoacher
01-28-2011, 09:36 AM

IE.

/rant

happy to hear this, would like this to catch on for more FN.

hunter1947
01-28-2011, 01:12 PM
Then you should of put this in your original post......Otherwise all you are doing is stirring shit.

No status card, pretty simple. Tags and licence, same rules as everyone else. Period.

The fact that this guy is native means nothing. An elk killed on band land simply would of been poached.

KodiakHntr you are right I should have put in my first post that this native did not have a status card I guess I am getting old and this slipped on me http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon11.gif.

This thread regarding this native was not shit stirring because I was not sure if he could shoot an elk ,by talking to the CO I found out what was legal regarding this native.

I have gone over to this natives home and told him that he can not shoot and elk and explained to him why.

I saved his ass from shooting an elk as he thought he could and saved him from getting charged for pouching ,there will be a bull elk that will live to see another day.

CanuckShooter
01-28-2011, 01:19 PM
KodiakHntr you are right I should have put in my first post that this native did not have a status card I guess I am getting old and this slipped on me http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon11.gif.

This thread regarding this native was not shit stirring because I was not sure if he could shoot an elk ,by talking to the CO I found out what was legal regarding this native.

I have gone over to this natives home and told him that he can not shoot and elk and explained to him why.

I saved his ass from shooting an elk as he thought he could and saved him from getting charged for pouching ,there will be a bull elk that will live to see another day.

Good job, well done....there is a lot of bad information on this subject.

Jelvis
01-28-2011, 07:14 PM
See this hand? Over here hahahahhah it's mee. whoaaaa!
Let's not get carried away, 47 said himself he should have mentioned this fella didn't have Status as an Indian under the Indian Act so he or she is the same as any one else like the majority in hunting circles.
You guys hahaha so then you would not need to ask a game warden in my humblest opinion, so now you understand, it's simple to see if you want to see it but difficult at best when you won't see it, for what ever reason you use as a reason or an excuse not to accept this or that. Like me and you it's a choice we make first. Blame yourself it's like golf, better your own personal best score.
Jel .. ( R.A.P.P. ) rap them up ......... let the dust settle ....... heat the kettle .. put the pedal 2 the metal

kendoo
01-28-2011, 07:33 PM
Is there such thing as a green status card & a red status card? I was told by a FN that a green card can hunt on his own trad.territory & a red status card could hunt anywhere in B.C. Forked tongue or true?

Coast mountain guy
01-28-2011, 07:55 PM
No such thing. There are metis and full status indians. Metis have no rights in BC but the FN can hunt in trad territory anytime.
Might be the red green thing he's talking about.

boxhitch
01-28-2011, 08:03 PM

I saved his ass from shooting an elk as he thought he could and saved him from getting charged for pouching ,there will be a bull elk that will live to see another day.Serious ?? You had to explain the hunting laws of BC ?
Wonder how many times he has pulled the trigger while in bliss ?
Was he aware he did not have a status card ?

Jelvis
01-28-2011, 08:18 PM
Bull elk have no antlers now, they shed them so why the bull thing, that should have tipped you off, it sure would have sounded the ALARM! to myself and some tothers.
Tell em No Bull
Jel ( no cow no calf ) Period unless gos or leh only under the BC WildLife Act!

brenden
01-28-2011, 08:49 PM
Bulls don't drop till April/May in the east kootenays Jelly...

Jelvis
01-28-2011, 09:09 PM
Oh didn't realize they had hard antler til what? April/May? Wow.
Anyways no card you go by MOE Hunting and Trapping Synopsis as close as you possibly can under normal conditions.
Follow the lead with MOE, they know way more than we do so trust and obey and enjoy the freedom to hunt that we are so delighted in.
Jel ( Do the best we can ) together despite the weather .. hand in hand .. all our province all our game ..

chilcotin hillbilly
01-28-2011, 09:52 PM

IE.

/rant

That is a great attitude Beni, Keep up that attitude and be an example for other FN's.

BlacktailStalker
01-28-2011, 10:25 PM
Beni you are a good man.
This is why people shouldn't look at any group as a whole.

beni
01-28-2011, 10:29 PM
Thanks guys..

You wouldn't tell that I am FN.. i'm as white as most of you might be... I just get darker in the Summer :)

haha

hunter1947
01-29-2011, 04:27 AM
After finding out that this native did not have a status card and was going to shoot an elk if he saw one ,I don't want to be around him anyone white ,black ,native etc that will eventually break the law I just as soon stay away from any person that does not know the laws in hunting..

hunter1947
01-29-2011, 04:57 AM
Serious ?? You had to explain the hunting laws of BC ?
Wonder how many times he has pulled the trigger while in bliss ?
Was he aware he did not have a status card ?

boxhitch yes to the top and bottom I don't know about the middle fraze this is the first time I reunited with this person in many years ???..

hunter1947
01-29-2011, 05:04 AM
That is a great attitude Beni, Keep up that attitude and be an example for other FN's.

X2 Beni you set exsamples to others FN people http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

Jelvis
01-29-2011, 05:36 PM
Beni's idea is ok but he is wrong on some of his judgments about certain things.
probably young and starting out but hey all is alright no matter what.
Jel ( Take me out on a ... s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-r ...)

elkdom
01-29-2011, 05:42 PM
Bull elk have no antlers now, they shed them so why the bull thing, that should have tipped you off, it sure would have sounded the ALARM! to myself and some tothers.
Tell em No Bull
Jel ( no cow no calf ) Period unless gos or leh only under the BC WildLife Act!

sorry Jelvoos! I drove past about 200 bull elk yesterday on the way to GP Alta, pretty much everyone of them wearing their head-gear!:wink:,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

and! the late seaseon Reg 7-20a Elk LEH hunt is on until last day of Feb 2011, the tags are for antlerless, any elk, or BULL ELK ONLY !

Jelvis
01-29-2011, 05:48 PM
Never claimed to be an expert on reg 7 elk lol, you guys are tho, thanks for the great detective work. Just seeing if you were on your hunting toes.
Jel ( Dances with Wapiti ) Kevin Costco-ner

hunter1947
01-30-2011, 04:04 AM
sorry Jelvoos! I drove past about 200 bull elk yesterday on the way to GP Alta, pretty much everyone of them wearing their head-gear!:wink:,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

and! the late seaseon Reg 7-20a Elk LEH hunt is on until last day of Feb 2011, the tags are for antlerless, any elk, or BULL ELK ONLY !

Mr mechanic when the bulls do start dropping there antlers I would like to see you drop your big tools and find a few to post up on the site :mrgreen:.

eaglesj
01-30-2011, 11:27 PM

IE.

/rant

I worked with an aboriginal for the last year. He is originally from the Northwest Territories. However, he told me that he shot two elk and two moose this year for his family to eat. While I think he is full of crap, I am sure he shot at least one animal. Are you saying that this is not allowed?

I know another native that told me he is allowed to hunt whenever he wants, where he wants, and heard of others saying the same thing.

Just out of curiosity where could I find the rules on this for myself?

bandit
01-30-2011, 11:44 PM
the CO heard my story and said if you where with him and he did shoot a elk you are just as much to blame as he is I would be charged for pouching and my truck would be towed.

Would be interesting to see if they did try to press this charge (assuming your buddy hides behind FN red tape and doesnt get charged). That would seem pretty unreasonable IMO.

hunter1947
01-31-2011, 03:02 AM
Would be interesting to see if they did try to press this charge (assuming your buddy hides behind FN red tape and doesnt get charged). That would seem pretty unreasonable IMO.

This person is not a buddy of mine I have only been around him about 6 times this person was with another friend of mine that how I new him.

hunter1947
01-31-2011, 03:11 AM
I worked with an aboriginal for the last year. He is originally from the Northwest Territories. However, he told me that he shot two elk and two moose this year for his family to eat. While I think he is full of crap, I am sure he shot at least one animal. Are you saying that this is not allowed?

I know another native that told me he is allowed to hunt whenever he wants, where he wants, and heard of others saying the same thing.

Go to the wildlife branch in your area or contact them and they will fill you in with what you want to know.

Some post on this thread have explained most of what a native with his or her status card can not do and can do but if you where to contact the wildlife branch then you hear it from the horses mouth http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif..

rocksteady
01-31-2011, 09:09 AM

From what I have been told, there are a couple of different scenarios.....

All FN must have a status card to be recognized as FN under the Indian Act..

A FN with a Status card can hunt year round for any species as long as it is ON RESERVE LANDS (thier band)...

A FN with a Status Card from a different band can do the same on a different reserve, with written permission from the Chief or COuncil. SO, in Waynes example, if the guy had his card, but from an Alberta band, he could, with permission from the St. Marys Band chief or council, hunt on the St. Mary's reserve. However, without the status card and written permission, he would just be a poacher...

Some FN and bands have been trying to push the envelope, by hunting off the reserve, on their "traditional territory", which is pretty vague and undocumented, so a very grey area..When this happens and they are caught, is usually when you get Supreme court rulings to decide if they were within their rights or not......

I may not be 100% right on this but, this is how it has been told to me by a couple different CO's.

GoatGuy
01-31-2011, 09:17 AM
Some FN and bands have been trying to push the envelope, by hunting off the reserve, on their "traditional territory", which is pretty vague and undocumented, so a very grey area..When this happens and they are caught, is usually when you get Supreme court rulings to decide if they were within their rights or not......

The Province will not pursue this unless there is a valid conservation concern for the species harvested.

brock77
01-31-2011, 09:25 AM

A FN with a Status card can hunt year round for any species as long as it is ON RESERVE LANDS (thier band)...

A FN with a Status Card from a different band can do the same on a different reserve, with written permission from the Chief or COuncil. SO, in Waynes example, if the guy had his card, but from an Alberta band, he could, with permission from the St. Marys Band chief or council, hunt on the St. Mary's reserve. However, without the status card and written permission, he would just be a poacher...

I may not be 100% right on this but, this is how it has been told to me by a couple different CO's.

Okay ....i have been keeping an eye on this thread for a while, waiting for some one to post the proper law/rulling/regulation...or what ever u might call it............
Rocksteady is right, hit the nail on the head...
all above is correct.....i have a status card....and have been asked if i wanted to hunt on the reserve in grasmer,I had permission from the cheif and everything but....i said thanks, but no thanks.......
and have asked the co's my self about the hole status thing.......But i choose to hunt just like the rest......by the regs......

hunter1947
01-31-2011, 09:32 AM
Okay ....i have been keeping an eye on this thread for a while, waiting for some one to post the proper law/rulling/regulation...or what ever u might call it............
Rocksteady is right, hit the nail on the head...
all above is correct.....i have a status card....and have been asked if i wanted to hunt on the reserve in grasmer,I had permission from the cheif and everything but....i said thanks, but no thanks.......
and have asked the co's my self about the hole status thing.......But i choose to hunt just like the rest......by the regs......

Thanks brock you have cleared a lot of things up here by coming back and quoting this post from Mike.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

hunter1947
01-31-2011, 09:37 AM
If all correct what about big horn sheep or other species sheep that might be on native land can a native shoot a sheep ???.

brock77
01-31-2011, 11:26 AM
If all correct what about big horn sheep or other species sheep that might be on native land can a native shoot a sheep ???.

I believe so wayne....,as long as it is on traditional land,and he/she has a status card,and providing it is not at a locall feeding station,:roll::wink:
but......its supossed to be for food, to be put on the table for the family....shooting a BIG HORN SHEEP...? when they could get a deer or an elk..?

Okay heres the deal (from my point of view).....if you got a status card and live on the reserve, then fine go get your meat.....just don't slaughter everything......
But for me (i think) if you have a status card and DONT live on a reserve and whant to hunt, on the reserve OUT OF SEASON....
Then you better have damn good proof that you cant afford to go and by meat from the store or the like....(ie lost your job and dont have money for food for your family)
...but this doesnt mean that u can go and shoot 2 elk, 2 deer,2 moose ect....one only needs what he needs to survive....

CanuckShooter
01-31-2011, 11:36 AM

Just so your aware and not calling in the COs everytime you see a native hunting.....See pg 7 hunting regs.....Status Indians can hunt within their "traditional territories".

The actual RESERVE lands are not all that big........:-D

CanuckShooter
01-31-2011, 11:40 AM
I believe so wayne....,as long as it is on traditional land,and he/she has a status card,and providing it is not at a locall feeding station,:roll::wink:
but......its supossed to be for food, to be put on the table for the family....shooting a BIG HORN SHEEP...? when they could get a deer or an elk..?

Okay heres the deal (from my point of view).....if you got a status card and live on the reserve, then fine go get your meat.....just don't slaughter everything......
But for me (i think) if you have a status card and DONT live on a reserve and whant to hunt, on the reserve OUT OF SEASON....
Then you better have damn good proof that you cant afford to go and by meat from the store or the like....(ie lost your job and dont have money for food for your family)
...but this doesnt mean that u can go and shoot 2 elk, 2 deer,2 moose ect....one only needs what he needs to survive....

I highlighted your funny statement....:mrgreen:....how do you feel about our current hunting regulations? You can legally shoot 1 moose, 2 black bears, 3 deer [10 on Haida Gwaii], 1 cariboo, 1 sheep, 1 goat, 1 grizzly, 1 elk, 10 ditch chickens per day.....you get the idea....is it OK for us but only OK for them if it's too survive?? :mrgreen:

CanuckShooter
01-31-2011, 11:41 AM

The short answer is Yes...

GoatGuy
01-31-2011, 11:48 AM
I highlighted your funny statement....:mrgreen:....how do you feel about our current hunting regulations? You can legally shoot 1 moose, 2 black bears, 3 deer [10 on Haida Gwaii], 1 cariboo, 1 sheep, 1 goat, 1 grizzly, 1 elk, 10 ditch chickens per day.....you get the idea....is it OK for us but only OK for them if it's too survive?? :mrgreen:

food, social and ceremonial purposes is the definition.

The Hermit
01-31-2011, 11:52 AM

Good point, but if a status person wants to kill more than a reasonable sustenance harvest then buy the license and tags and respect the seasons!

Jelvis
01-31-2011, 08:00 PM
Speakin to CO in third party ain't going to do it for him or her, so don't expect crisp clear black and white answers to your blurry questions, the co has a brain. They know they bin asked b4 in a lot worse places then at the office.
Jel ( They cover their assess ) It's part of the personna and I back em all the way.
Most can't comprehend the lingo, too many questions and no answers ...
I back the MOE in B.C. always have always will .................................

Coast mountain guy
01-31-2011, 08:08 PM
[quote=CanuckShooter;846006]

Good point, but if a status person wants to kill more than a reasonable sustenance harvest then buy the license and tags and respect the seasons!

If a status person wants to harvest more than "reasonable" amount of game why would he or she go and buy tags and respect the season? They don't have to buy tags in traditional territory and if they're gonna harvest more than a reasonable amount why on earth would the buy a tag to shoot more than a regular hunter.

Jelvis
01-31-2011, 09:44 PM
One of the hunters or a group of aboriginal hunters can be told by the Chief to get some meat for the shut ins and give some to the elders.
So they might camp by a good hunting area for moose. Try to get some wild meat and take it back to the village to be prepared for the table of thanks giving. Food share, help the shut ins. Elderly.
Nothing wrong with that. It's their need to taste moose meat that drives the hunt. Hunter/Warriors ..
Jel ( on Crown or Rez ) don't matter .. no hunting on the rez for safety concerns on some ..
restrictions shall be noted .. i.e. bow only homey .. or no single projectile .. big whites and mules ..
On Crown all around no private just Crown, Crown is for everyone. Crown is Supreme .. Free and WILD