PDA

View Full Version : Whitetails are taking over !!!

Shop Lord
06-28-2006, 10:40 AM
I've heard theres been whitetail sightings in pemberton in the last couple of years. I havn't seen any myself but I just saw a video my buddy filmed with two whitetail does and a whitetail, blacktail hybrid fawn. The fawn had a whitetails "flag" with a big black stripe down it. He showed the video to a C.O. so that maybe he could do something about getting a whitetail season in region 2. If the whitetails can "push" out mulies I'm sure they can do the same to blacktails.

3kills
06-28-2006, 10:57 AM
i thought that mulies came orignallly from whitetails and blacktails breeding??

rollingrock
06-28-2006, 12:38 PM
Aldergrove does have whitetails these days for sure, and I've seen them around Pitt Lake.

30-06
06-28-2006, 02:39 PM
way more whiteys this year thats for sure

ryanb
06-28-2006, 05:17 PM
i thought that mulies came orignallly from whitetails and blacktails breeding??

I think they say Mulies EVOLVED from interbreeding between blacktails and whitetails, but they are not a dirrect result of interbreeding between the two.

geno
06-28-2006, 10:49 PM
whitetails in aldergrove you say? where about did you see them?
i dont see many deer in aldergrove these days.. the coyotes have killed most of them off.

rollingrock
06-29-2006, 09:13 AM
whitetails in aldergrove you say? where about did you see them?
i dont see many deer in aldergrove these days.. the coyotes have killed most of them off.

On farm lands close to the border. Some were even grazing together with cattles, very amazing. I believe they crossed the border from our neighbour. :mrgreen:

geno
06-29-2006, 09:23 AM
well its about time somthing good came from down there.... J/K

Gilmore
07-08-2006, 05:05 PM
Rob I don't know if they are taking over but they are definetlly here.

Yesterday I am in one of our potato fields that has a barley field right along side it and came upon 2 beauty blacktails eating the barley shoots. (Clarke this is the bear farm field) They didn't see me so I snuck back to my truck to get my binos and snuck back down through some brush. I got to within about 150yds and I had obviously made to much noise because when I popped my head up they were looking right at me. I was able to watch them for 3-4 minutes before they got nervous and took off. That's where things got interesting.

Both bucks had already forked on the bottom and were starting to fork on the tops. The smallerbuck had no brow tines and was around18 inches wide but looked like he was going to be a good 4 point buck for sure. The bigger buck was bigger in every way. His body was way bigger than the smaller buck and his horns in full velvet were past the ear tips on each side. I know horns can be deceiving in velvet but this guy will be pushing 23-24 inches for sure. The big guy also has pefect G1's that have to be 4 inches tall. I haven't seen many (any)23" Pemberton Blackies with 4' brow tines.(and still growing)

Now the strange part. Both bucks bolt at the same time and the big guy runs about 4 bounds and FLAGS a big white tail!! I look at the smaller buck and it's just a black rope hanging straight down. I look back at the big fella and it's about 5 inches wide were it connects to his butt, is straight up, and is as white as my fat hairy ass.

I'm still in shock. I saw a doe last year that we considered a whitetail, but this is one of the finest Pemberton bucks I've ever seen and I've lived and hunted deer here for 35 years. The big, big body, the long brow tines, I don't know what to think. The horns were definetlly mulie/blacktail configuration but other than that... if it didn't have horns you would no doubt say there is huge whitetail doe.

Going back out tonight armed with a camera so hopefully I can show you some pictures.
Chad