PDA

View Full Version : Thorlo socks.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
01-26-2011, 03:32 PM
Lots of good advice on socks.. It looks like the Trekking sock is a good choice but has anyone tryed the other models , like the Hunting -cold weather or the Thick Hiking sock . I find that socks that go up to my calf wind up bunchin up in my boot . i have to use black tape to hold them up ..lol. But HEY ..it works. just thinking about getting a couple of each to try out . might come in handy for different uses and times of year . but are the thick socks to thick for hunting boots ?

bigwhiteys
01-26-2011, 03:52 PM
The Thorlo Trekking sock is about the thickest one Thorlo makes. They come up about an inch or two higher than my Hanwag Elites and don't have a problem bunching up... for me anyways. I also wear a merino liner sock.

Carl

Gateholio
01-26-2011, 04:48 PM
I like the THorlo trekkers. gave up wearing liner socks because they actually seemed to give me more blisters than prevent them!:confused:

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
01-26-2011, 05:08 PM
iv never heard of a sock liner !..lol. whats is that ? . i dout i will need one. First chance i get tho im going to pick up some Thorlo trekkers..

BCrams
01-26-2011, 05:28 PM
iv never heard of a sock liner !..lol. whats is that ? . i dout i will need one. First chance i get tho im going to pick up some Thorlo trekkers..

Thorlo trekkers are thick socks and are not for everyone.

Liner socks essentially wick moisture from your feet to the outer sock.

I tried the Thorlo trekkers in my sheep boots they did not fit well because they were thicker = hotter. A good fit in my winter boots. Something to think about when trying them on (or ordering).

I use thinner socks in my hiking boots. 2 brands I use right now are Lorpen and Wigwam. Never have blister problems (well i shouldn't anyways given how much hiking / skiing I do on my feet).

Lorpen http://www.lorpen.com/lorpen-na/

Wigwam http://www.wigwam.com/Products/CategoryLanding.aspx?CategoryId=B

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
01-26-2011, 06:42 PM
Exactly which ones from your thinner socks do you use .? good to have choices . and where would you find them in B.C. or Alberta ?

Everett
01-26-2011, 08:51 PM
Big fan of the merino wigwams not as keen on the thorlos. Have few pair of smart wools that have held up well. Best backpacking sock that I have ever had was the NZ Nato sock the commie co-op used to sell I have one pair that are at least 10years old and still no holes.

MountainHigh
01-26-2011, 10:53 PM
Think about trying a very thin liner. This will really cut down on blisters.

The Thorlo socks are well made. They come in a few different 'weights'. The thicker ones have extra thicker material sewn in the heel and toe area. These areas will be thickest on the sock. The dealer explained it to me in detail what makes their socks different from other reputable brands. I did not buy much of the presentation...but I'm nit picky that way...I question it all.

I recommend these socks to many as a starting point to try. The best thing to do is try these with a liner (maybe even a lighter weight Thorlo) so things don't get too cramped in the toe box or heel area. Please don't try them the day of the hunt. Have it nailed down well in advance what system you want to go with.

Sock height is also personal preference. I like mine just above the boot but then again my boot choice is not for a very high boot. I have put holes in most of the major brands but I hike an insane amount.

Nathaniel Poe
01-27-2011, 12:30 AM
Whatever sock you choose, try not to put them in the dryer, let them hang dry. Dryers seem to suck off lots of fluffy warm and cushioning material.:-D

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
01-27-2011, 11:06 AM
The wigwam comfort hiker crew looks good .. what models of wigwam or lorpen does everyone use .. ?

BCrams
01-27-2011, 01:05 PM
You'll want to pick the socks to match the boots you're wearing and what you're planning to do.

Keep in mind, the selection of socks (i.e., thick vs thinner often goes with foot condition and personal preference). Some guys prefer thick cushiony socks due to foot condition under heavy loads whereas others prefer the thinner / cooler socks and solid feel.

Personally, I typically go with light-midweight for my hiking boots spring through summer / early fall.

If you ever put improved soles into your hiking boots such as Superfeet, you will find heavy socks won't necessarily be a good fit due to the raised sole.

I also use the heavier Lorpens that reach up to the calves for my late season deer hunting or anytime I am in the Schnees Hunters which have 13" uppers.

The Merino wool liners from Lorpen are awsome but most all liners available will do.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
01-27-2011, 01:54 PM
I do use the SOLE ultra in my boots . so i guess thats one thing to consider .. i guess im looking for options and might just have to buy a assortment of socks to try out and when i find i right combo ,go with it . some good brand choices .. OK .. So . my picks are going to be. LORPEN Mid weight hiker crew and WigWam comfort hiker crew.. and i will pick up a pair of THORLO Trekkers ..with those i should make out well . iv been using Marks work house socks for years but they dont last ..always throwing them out .