PDA

View Full Version : RE: Blizzard Scope Covers-Butler Creek

Singleshotneeded
01-26-2011, 02:11 PM
I just wanted to share with everyone that I picked up a pair of the Butler Creek Blizzard Scope Covers for my new scope this past weekend at Wholesale Sports for $10 each. I looked through the scope with the covers on, and they actually did a pretty good job with the see-through covers...visibility was pretty good! I'm not saying you should just leave them down, especially on long shots, but if a deer pops out unexpectedly at close range you can certainly shoot without bothering to pop up your covers first! I have no idea why the see-through covers weren't made from the get-go instead of the black plastic, but I'm sure a few animals will be going down that would've gotten away whilst guys were fumbling with their scope covers in bad weather! I recommend them and will be equipping all my rifles with them!

338 winmag
01-26-2011, 03:31 PM
Price is right but I found they distorted the cross hairs, so bit the bullet and switched to the alumina screw in type for my Leupolds. With a little practice you can flip them up as you shoulder your rifle.

TSW
01-26-2011, 08:22 PM
I hope your luck with them is better than mine and a few of my hunting partners. I had the exact same thoughts--loved the see through idea...except when I used them for some reason they WOULD NOT stay shut like the solid black covers. They were open so much it totally defeated the purpose of having them on there. I had mine for 2 seasons and got so sick of having to flip them shut again I finally turfed mine and went with the solid black ones...no comparison. Like I said, I hope yours work out better but you couldn't pay me to put those back on my scope, let alone get me to pay $10 for them!! (Even though $10 seems like a good price for scope covers!!)

todbartell
01-26-2011, 08:24 PM
I find the blizzard caps dont stay shut very well, which is annoying since the point of a lens cover is to cover the lens from crap! I prefer the solid ones myself, and the Leupold Aluminas are nice but $$$, only one of my rifles have them

edit : looks like TSW & I were posting at same time. Looks like I'm not alone!

killman
01-26-2011, 08:31 PM
I had one of the solid ones break off, pretty cheap stuff. Although I paid a much larger sum for mine. But I guess I was paying for the great service:roll:.:wink::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Brett
01-26-2011, 10:46 PM
mine crapped out in 4 days up North

wos
01-26-2011, 11:06 PM
butler creak scope cover are pure junk! I broke 4 of them this year. don't wast your money

01-26-2011, 11:12 PM
Don't have the Blizzard covers, but I have had 2 sets of the regular black covers, both of which have since broken off.

I won't be buying Butler Creek covers anymore.

As others have done, I think my next investment is the Alumina Threaded for my Lupy.

todbartell
01-26-2011, 11:12 PM
well I haven't broke one, and been using them for ten years. I'm not saying they CAN'T break. I dont spend much time with them flipped open, usually only when I'm shooting

Nathaniel Poe
01-27-2011, 12:15 AM
The see through ones suck. They open easily and leak....I've use the regular Butler Creek ones with decent success, and the Alumina ones are simply excellent.

Singleshotneeded
01-27-2011, 01:31 AM
Hmmmm...based on that feedback I'll use them this hunting season and then decide about them. New, if you shut them firmly they seem to stay shut, but that doesn't mean they won't deteriorate quickly after a few openings and closings. We'll see, if they don't work out I haven't lost much...:-D

c.r.hunter
01-27-2011, 08:56 AM
The problem is that they need a broader range of sizes. They're often either a little to tight which causes them to open or too big. I personally can't live without them. I've been using them for 10 plus years and have shot all kinds of game at close range without opening them. To each his own, but I don't have the time to open caps with only a split second to make a shot. It's worth the hastles to me!

Singleshotneeded
01-27-2011, 07:34 PM
Do you find them popping open constantly on you for no reason, CR Hunter? Is that something that happens when they get older?

c.r.hunter
01-28-2011, 02:49 AM
Do you find them popping open constantly on you for no reason, CR Hunter? Is that something that happens when they get older?

It's not too bad on my VX3 4.5-14x40. The fit is a little better on the eye than the objective. Usually only comes open if I brush it against something. Doesn't really cause much problem in the field. Some of my buddies have had a tougher time getting a good fit on different scopes. It's worth the effort of trying a size up or down from whats recomended. You could also go with a slightly oversized fit and shim with a few wraps of tape or something.

Singleshotneeded
01-29-2011, 06:20 PM
So far mine seem to be fine, but they've just been indoors and fit alright...maybe a tight tight fit on a scope and/or below zero temps affect them, making them pop open?

c.r.hunter
01-31-2011, 12:28 AM
I don't think temp makes and difference, nat that I've noticed anyways.

mungojeerie
01-31-2011, 06:33 PM
I've had them on my scope for about 6 years, and have had nothing but a good experience. Ive never found them to pop open easily or leak. I use that rifle for both deer and moose season every year as well as often for yote hunting.

They have always stayed shut, kept out water and I shoot with them closed 70% of the time. I've never noticed any distortion of the reticle or negative effect on accuracy. On days when they're too coated with water and brush they pop up quickly with a flick of the thumb.

Maybe I just happened to luck out with a good set as most people seem to be less than happy with them, but from my experiences I wouldn't hesitate to buy them right away for my next rifle.