PDA

View Full Version : Kamloops predators

len173
01-26-2011, 01:01 PM
I was wondering if anybody knew of any areas to hunt coyotes on crown land in the Kamloops area? I know they are usually where the cattle are, but I'm new to hunting and don't really know any other hunters or ranchers. So I'd like to avoid the knocking on doors for permission, at least for right now, if possible.

I was also wondering about wolves in the area? I wouldn't mind getting out after one of them if there are any good areas. I know it's a challenge, but I'm really just looking for an excuse to get out and hunt, seeing as I got into it too late for the 2010 deer season.

Thanks, the help is always appreciated.

MuleyMadness
01-26-2011, 03:59 PM
Noble creek, in the meadows above Westsyde road. It's thick with em.

I have also done okay in Lac du Bois area, up around Lac du Bois itself, on the East side.

Lots of yotes, and lots of cougars. Not too sure about wolves, as I don't see nearly as much sign, but they are there I'm sure.

Matty_ola
01-26-2011, 04:08 PM
They have new signs up telling people about the private property near lac du boi. I think the east side of the road near the lake is private property?

Maybe MuleyMadness can correct me if I'm wrong though???

Noble creek, in the meadows above Westsyde road. It's thick with em.

I have also done okay in Lac du Bois area, up around Lac du Bois itself, on the East side.

Lots of yotes, and lots of cougars. Not too sure about wolves, as I don't see nearly as much sign, but they are there I'm sure.

MuleyMadness
01-26-2011, 05:24 PM
They have new signs up telling people about the private property near lac du boi. I think the east side of the road near the lake is private property?

Maybe MuleyMadness can correct me if I'm wrong though???

Well it wasn't the last time I was up there, a couple of months ago. I am talking about the area just past the lake (between Lac du Bois and the McQueen Lake area on the east side). There ARE no vehicle's allowed signs up for sure, because it is a provincial park and motorized vehicles aren't allowed off the road, but last time I was there it was crown.

Matty_ola
01-26-2011, 08:05 PM
Yea that's the area I think is private. Here's a picture of the sign I took. The shaded areas being private property

http://i923.photobucket.com/albums/ad78/matty_ola/photo-2.jpg

MuleyMadness
01-26-2011, 09:12 PM
I believe that is all crown land...I think the Red is no off road vehicle access, with the green lines denoting vehicle allowed roads, and the green blocks areas where motorbikes and vehicles allowed or the like on them. For sure the area around Mud Lake is crown land, as is the area between Lac du Bois and Long Lake Road. I think the only private land in there is the rectangular blocks with the lines slashing through them. The area where I'm referring to is that area where the big tobogganing hill is where everyone always sleds and have weiner roasts and and to the east of that, as well as the grasslands on just the Kamloops side of there....sorry if I wasn't clear earlier. Either way, the Noble Creek area above Westsyde road is better for yotes....not going to do much better around here than Stuart or around Opax for cougars though :)

MuleyMadness
01-26-2011, 09:33 PM
Here I marked up that picture a bit...sorry it's not very professional

http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt61/toddhry/marked.jpg

Matty_ola
01-26-2011, 09:46 PM
Right on, there ya go Len173 should get ya going. Drop me a PM if you're looking for company on a yote hunt.

beni
01-27-2011, 12:21 PM
Friends of mine were told during summer that there is now a no-Shooting zone, instant fine if they see you now.

Have to go to 19km+ mark before you are allowed to discharge a firearm. Because of what happened at the makeshift gun range and that they changed the entire area.

So call and double check

MuleyMadness
01-27-2011, 12:55 PM
Well that's not strictly true. The old range that was up there was actually on City of Kamloops property, but they allowed shooting at it with an exemption to the no shooting area. Not anymore. The city land does not extend up to the 19Km mark however. In the next post I put a map of where City of Kamloops boundary's extend to (they are denoted by the medium pink with the darker red dashes in them). If you know the lake and water features up there, you can see the property extends to basically the levelling off point of the large hill that begins just after the old range. The long lake in the yellow area is Long Lake, and the lake just outside the green line is Lac du Bois, which if you reference the map above (which has road KM markings) so hopefully that helps with perception. Anyways that should help clarify the boundaries, and why now you cannot shoot where you used to be allowed (because it was ALWAYS city property down there).

MuleyMadness
01-27-2011, 12:55 PM
http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt61/toddhry/CityBoundary.jpg

NorthShoreX
01-27-2011, 09:21 PM
www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/lacdubois_grass/lacdubois.pdf

Check out the above web address, it has a very good map of the park. It shows all of the private land within the park boundaries, most of it is around Lake du Bois.

Will
01-29-2011, 11:45 PM
Just be wary in the Areas surrounding Mud lake/Mqueen....there is a 1km no shooting area around Mqueen and Isobel lake.
I doctored up your map, it's fairly close but the regs have a much better map of this NO shooting area.
Just a heads up for those that may be sniffing around this area:wink:
http://usera.ImageCave.com/BCWilly/marked.jpg

MuleyMadness
01-30-2011, 09:30 AM
Yep the area from just below the lake is no shooting and is marked as such...you're right on my map, the top line was meant to follow the top of the Y but it was more of a general idea thing...good pick up though.

swampthing
01-30-2011, 06:59 PM
Lower jamieson and watching crk for wolves. They are there.

len173
01-31-2011, 12:11 PM
Sorry for the late reply, life suddenly suddenly got really busy. Thanks for all the replies and the great info. I'm getting excited to get out and get some predators. I hope the snow is just about over and done with, seeing as I only have my car.

kamloopshunter
01-31-2011, 01:17 PM
thanks guys thats pretty helpful

Kirby
01-31-2011, 02:16 PM
Friends of mine were told during summer that there is now a no-Shooting zone, instant fine if they see you now.

Have to go to 19km+ mark before you are allowed to discharge a firearm. Because of what happened at the makeshift gun range and that they changed the entire area.

So call and double check

If you are just shooting in the protected area it is illegal however you can hunt there. There is a no Shooting area around Isobel and McQueen lake. However Lacc Du Bois Protected area is open to hunting.

Saw 5 coyotes up there today. Watch for loaded trucks. Got put in the ditch by one **** stick today.

Matty_ola
01-31-2011, 02:55 PM
So if I understand you, I can discharge my firearm at an animal just not a target? Does that sound odd to anyone else?

If you are just shooting in the protected area it is illegal however you can hunt there. There is a no Shooting area around Isobel and McQueen lake. However Lacc Du Bois Protected area is open to hunting.

Saw 5 coyotes up there today. Watch for loaded trucks. Got put in the ditch by one **** stick today.

TeachBC
01-31-2011, 03:12 PM
I'm not trying to hijack this thread but I'm just getting into predator hunting and was wondering if anyone would care to have me tag along on a hunt. I have a scoped .223, a scoped 30.06 with a 6x24x40 and an FX3 caller and camo and I live in Kamloops.

Thanks,

TeachBC

Kirby
01-31-2011, 05:40 PM
Its a Provincial park rule, discharge of firearms bows etc is banned unless currently hunting during hunting season.

Didn't say it makes sense... that's a different question all together.:-D

Kirby

So if I understand you, I can discharge my firearm at an animal just not a target? Does that sound odd to anyone else?

frenchbar
01-31-2011, 05:44 PM
Freinds of ours on westsyde rd today had there 4 yr old girl attacked by a coyote...mom was able to kick it off before any harm was done ..thank god..go kill a few !!

len173
02-01-2011, 02:13 PM
MuleyMadness, is this the area around noble creek that you were getting yotes? Are the roads really rough up there? I just have a little car, so I can't do anything too crazy.

Thanks.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/len173/noblecreek.jpg

MuleyMadness
02-01-2011, 04:20 PM
You can get there by car, no problem when the roads are bare, so not right now :), right now you need 4x4, and due to the cold weather, maybe even more than that as the roads turn to sheer ice at times. Just past Dairy road (on your right heading up Westsyde Road), and just past the gravel pit, you will see a gravel road on your left...turn there, follow the road up into the meadows at the top of the hill. This is not the parking lot/party area you will come across halfway up, but a rolling grassland area with a fairly steep grade and some torn up grasslands areas that the asshats with no respect for the beauty of nature choose to tear up with their bikes when it was muddy. This and the grassland areas beyond are thick with Yotes, but you do generally need to call em in. Start at the bottom one and work up, though with the weather currently, they are likely to be lower than higher...Now get out there and kill some stuff :)

Will
02-01-2011, 04:26 PM
Freinds of ours on westsyde rd today had there 4 yr old girl attacked by a coyote...mom was able to kick it off before any harm was done ..thank god..go kill a few !!
Wowsers........that's real close:shock:
Glad the girl was not hurt.

frenchbar
02-01-2011, 04:35 PM
She was walking her 2 girls to pre school..when the yote came out and attacked the 4 yr old ..only got a hold of her leg before mom kicked and screamed at it and it fled..

len173
02-01-2011, 05:02 PM
You can get there by car, no problem when the roads are bare, so not right now :smile:, right now you need 4x4, and due to the cold weather, maybe even more than that as the roads turn to sheer ice at times. Just past Dairy road (on your right heading up Westsyde Road), and just past the gravel pit, you will see a gravel road on your left...turn there, follow the road up into the meadows at the top of the hill. This is not the parking lot/party area you will come across halfway up, but a rolling grassland area with a fairly steep grade and some torn up grasslands areas that the asshats with no respect for the beauty of nature choose to tear up with their bikes when it was muddy. This and the grassland areas beyond are thick with Yotes, but you do generally need to call em in. Start at the bottom one and work up, though with the weather currently, they are likely to be lower than higher...Now get out there and kill some stuff :smile:

Thanks friend! I plan to very soon!
And if the roads are a bit sketchy, I'll ditch the vehicle on westsyde road and hike in. The whole point is to be out in the bush anyways.

She was walking her 2 girls to pre school..when the yote came out and attacked the 4 yr old ..only got a hold of her leg before mom kicked and screamed at it and it fled..

That's scary, glad she is okay. I'll do my part to make sure they fear coming out of their dens.