PDA

View Full Version : what is your biggest turn on ???

bowhunterbruce
01-26-2011, 07:24 AM
ok now i'm sure that got your attention,my question to everyone is completely huning video related.when you watch hunting videos what turns you on about them,is it the opening trailers that catch your attention,is it the actual stalk on an animal,do you love seeing the impact of the bullet,or is it the animals comming into your calls.what about just observing animals doing what animals naturally do in the wild.do you watch them for the host of the show,what about female hosts??,does excitiment come in the form of seeing a youth take thier first animal or thier biggest.is it all about the horn size or is it about the location and terrain.do you prefer to see hosts being guided with celebrity co-hosts.
as you can see there are many reasons one watchs them, including just passing time during the off season and i want to hear them all and maybe for what reasons.
if you could have your own hunting show what kinda format would or do you want?
bring it all on boys and girls we all wanna know
WHAT TURNS YOU ON
bhb

BiG Boar
01-26-2011, 07:41 AM
I like the producer to put me right there in the entire hunt, from start to finish, so be the bird on the shoulder and I like to see the shot. Dont like to see the animal suffer, but the shot is what I am anticipating, some shows dont shot the animal being killed, and to me that is a let down.

bowhunterbruce
01-26-2011, 07:44 AM
now thats what i'm talking about,one of my top thoughts as well big boar,like you are the guy behind the gun or the camera.
bhb

Ruger4
01-26-2011, 07:51 AM
Brewster,
before the trigger squeeze, having the animal in its natural
surroundings with no idea you are there, watching the body language of the
animal(s) completely oblivious to your precence is pretty cool. Then the work begins or sometimes just letting them walk away is rewarding in itself.

R

CanuckShooter
01-26-2011, 07:51 AM
I like the ones that are not obviously someone parachuting into a guides territory to shoot a huge white tail deer they have been watching on game cams.....and anything elk....and marco-polo sheep...and huge mule deer. And shows that show staying in camps that are not 5 star resorts....something real, for real hunters...that's the best. imo

The less the video looks like shooting a fish in a barrel the better......ie. bears over feeding stations.

snareman1234
01-26-2011, 08:18 AM
I agree with big bore, when they show a prolonged after the shot clip, and they do not put another shot into the animal and you watch it suffer, definitely is a no go for me

ianwuzhere
01-26-2011, 08:23 AM
intro-has many different few seconds clips of kewl things- like great animals etc..
-real stuff that will happen that isnt too professional- like a swear word but bleeped out, makes it feel more realistic to me..
-clean kill-and i like it when they go to the animal right after the shot- no waiting for a few hrs till dark then deciding to wait overnite to retrieve animal where the shot seemed good placement..

Weatherby Fan
01-26-2011, 08:34 AM
David Long put out short dvd on the inside cover of his book about a solo backpack hunting trip for mule deer in the alpine,it went over all the gear he uses right up to the shot on a huge mule deer bedded down,very informative and a great shot on the deer,
Some of the elk hunting dvd's where they call a huge bull within few yards and and tag it with an arrow those are awesome.

hunter1947
01-26-2011, 08:42 AM
I don't have any big turn on ,I never watch hunting videos except the ones from our camp.

willyqbc
01-26-2011, 08:45 AM
I tend to like videos that stick to using real footage, none of that refilmed fake crap. Like when a hunter is doing his stalk and the camera man is filming from in front of him....yeah the camera man stalked to between the critter and the hunter to film him stalking in:???: Way too many videos these days use staged stalks/recoveries etc that are all filmed before or after the animal was taken. Have you ever walked up on your downed animal for the first time to find that someone has allready been there and cleaned up all the blood, fixed the hanging tongue etc?? :confused: It makes the video "look" cleaner but once you know what they are doing it's hard not to watch and pick out all the fake stuff....makes it hard to just enjoy the show I find.

Chris

Stone Sheep Steve
01-26-2011, 09:23 AM
I like to see the hunters/hosts out there having fun and laughs, enjoying the country and culture(if they're travelling somewhere new).
If they get a nice animal I like to see them appreciating the animal ......not appreciating their hunting abilities and how great they are.

One show in particular comes to mind that's a big turn off....."Spook Nation". The intro is enough to make me barf. :? The show itself isn't as bad as the intro but is all about him and how great he is.
Not my cup of tea:neutral:.

SSS

bforce750
01-26-2011, 09:48 AM
I tend to like videos that stick to using real footage, none of that refilmed fake crap. Like when a hunter is doing his stalk and the camera man is filming from in front of him....yeah the camera man stalked to between the critter and the hunter to film him stalking in:???: Way too many videos these days use staged stalks/recoveries etc that are all filmed before or after the animal was taken. Have you ever walked up on your downed animal for the first time to find that someone has allready been there and cleaned up all the blood, fixed the hanging tongue etc?? :confused: It makes the video "look" cleaner but once you know what they are doing it's hard not to watch and pick out all the fake stuff....makes it hard to just enjoy the show I find.

Chris
I aggree with you on this one, watch "Hunting the Canadian Wildernes And Beyond" they are a series made by the Lancasters. they are the BEST vids I have ever seen, awsome footage and great country...cheers

urbanhermit
01-26-2011, 10:15 AM

Chris
so true!! thats why i hate so many of the nature shows on TV, like the cougar out looking for prey all filmed with a tame cat. Can't stand hat crap..

steel_ram
01-26-2011, 10:40 AM
I hate acting. The for the camera after the kill 'fake stalk', or when the hunters approach the downed animal, and it's pretty obvious they've already done that.
Crappy arrow hits, immediately followed by a cut in the footage, presumably where buddy follows up with a rifle, and then the cut to the dead trophy.
Rich fat guys looking like they just left Cabela's, pretending they climbed to the top of the mountain by themselves, and the guide twiddling his thumbs in the background is just an accessory.

I like good raw footage. Minimal talk. No machines. Lots of lead-up and scenery.

Gateholio
01-26-2011, 10:44 AM
I

One show in particular comes to mind that's a big turn off....."Spook Nation". The intro is enough to make me barf. :? The show itself isn't as bad as the intro but is all about him and how great he is.
Not my cup of tea:neutral:.

SSS

Yeah, that guy likes himself a bit too much.:-D

Buckmeister
01-26-2011, 10:44 AM
Like seeing the big horns, but the hunts need to have some diversity. If all you watch is one perfect hunt after another, (see deer, bang, flop, all from a tree) then things get boring no matter the size of animal. Like to see different hunting styles and watching animals do their things in the wild.

Gateholio
01-26-2011, 10:48 AM
I like the ones set in BC, ALaksa, Yukon, Alberta rockies....

Even northern ONtario and Quebec is okay

Not so keen on the archery food plot hunts in the USA. The participants sure get pumped up about it though.

rocksteady
01-26-2011, 10:54 AM
I like the ones where they have a youngster or person who has never hunted before get something.....You can see their emotions very easily and brings back memories of a lot of my "firsts"......

I agree with the other posts, the "fake" searches for shot game......blah...

I also do not care for the "long distance" hunts.....The 900 yard shot...To me that's not hunting, its shooting....I like things up close and personal....When it comes to vids...

coach
01-26-2011, 10:59 AM
I met the cameraman for Hunting High TV at Cooper's Foods in Winfield while picking up groceries for an early season hunt with my daughter. She was curious about his camo'd out truck with a big Labrador in the passenger seat. We had a pretty good chat about his show, he said their goal is to show real hunts - the way we do things here in BC. I think they do a pretty good job. The best episode IMO is about a late season goat hunt in the Kootenays. There's some pretty good humor when one of the hunters leaves camp in the morning with the keys to their ATV and they have to hot wire it. There's even a missed shot on a goat that gets away. Unfortunately, the show is only aired a couple times a week on Wild TV and none of the times are very convenient. I guess I'll need to invest in a PVR. :???:

http://huntinghightv.com/

kendoo
01-26-2011, 11:04 AM
A big juicey moose steak on my plate is what turns me on. Thats a trophy.

happyhunter
01-26-2011, 11:07 AM
I know what is my biggest turn off. These hunts where you see the fences and its all done on someones private land, and theres deer feeders and everything. Ghey. I want to see some rugged country and real hunts happening. I watch fishing shows too where these guys catch a few small ones and are like "well we didnt get the big one we hoped for, see you next time" Well hey then maybe dont air this crappy day then? Try again, get some good fish on video and THEN put it on tv.

Stone Sheep Steve
01-26-2011, 11:07 AM
I met the cameraman for Hunting High TV at Cooper's Foods in Winfield while picking up groceries for an early season hunt with my daughter. She was curious about his camo'd out truck with a big Labrador in the passenger seat. We had a pretty good chat about his show, he said their goal is to show real hunts - the way we do things here in BC. I think they do a pretty good job. The best episode IMO is about a late season goat hunt in the Kootenays. There's some pretty good humor when one of the hunters leaves camp in the morning with the keys to their ATV and they have to hot wire it. There's even a missed shot on a goat that gets away. Unfortunately, the show is only aired a couple times a week on Wild TV and none of the times are very convenient. I guess I'll need to invest in a PVR. :???:

http://huntinghightv.com/

One of my favorite shows! A couple of guys hunting hard and having a great time and a few laughs.
I've got the show on "series record" on the PVR.

SSS

warnniklz
01-26-2011, 11:14 AM
I tend to see more flaws with hunting videos than anything. I know I'm generalizing but here it is. I've graduated from film school so I realize I am a bit biased.

The cameraman - I know it's hard to film and stalk at the same time! But when the hunter(ette) is sitting in a blind or sitting next to a tree waiting for a beauty animal to come into the calls... is really that hard to frame things properly? I don't need to see the back of the shooter's head in the middle of my TV screen. It seems like the cameraman is trying to shoot the hunter.

Film quality - Digital HD is pretty cheap now a days. Can get completely set up for about 7 grand on good used gear. Now I know some of those hunters on TV spent more than 7 grand on shooting that lion. Also if you have a hunting show you're probably using Final Cut Pro or Avid... so take a couple lessons in colour correction. Or hire me... I'll even volunteer 6 episodes worth of colour correction work.

The hunter - I still don't see sitting next to a burning barrel of meat and garbage waiting for a bear as hunting. Same goes for hunting whitetails on TV. They always are on a food plot with a deer feeder. Everyone knows whities are habitual as is. So why bait them year round so when the hunter shows up, the rancher just goes "that big guy usually comes around just after dawn... it's a full moon tonight he'll be there at 7 this morning... so let's go out early and wait for him"... Sorry I don't think that's really hunting... that's more gathering. If you want to put meat in your freezer cool! But showing it off on TV just doesn't turn me on.

Now I'm done with the bad stuff.

The stuff I like is the fact people get to go out and catch their memories/hunts on film and share with the world. That's pretty cool. I have yet to hunt elk but I love it when two guys are set up and they call these beast into bow range and they knock them over. That must take some serious skill. I also like seeing people hunt animals I've yet to harvest... like antelope, musk ox and hippos. Which brings me to my favourite hunting moment on TV. When Jim Shockey hunted that hippo and then the hippo turned on the crew. That was pretty intense and cool. I also like it when they have cooking segments. Always sparks a new idea for dinner. Or at least something I can steal and call my own ah ha.

Female host are always hot. No matter how ugly they are. Girls with guns = There is a god

And I'd watch any hunting show before I would ever watch a bass fishing show.

Kudu
01-26-2011, 03:23 PM
what is your biggest turn on ???

Frankly - having watched a lot of "Wild TV" over the last year or so.......

Make mine Blonde - size 36 cups and squeezed in a pair of tight jeans...

Most of the hunting shows really bore me to death...... they are all the same old crap - just regurgitated in a different setting....

.. // ..

Alpine Addict
01-26-2011, 03:27 PM
When They are in real tough country. Steep, rocky, danerous, high, cold, wet, slick, dense, open. The tougher the hunt, the manlier it gets. So Sheep+Goat in my opinion.

hotload
01-26-2011, 03:40 PM
ok now i'm sure that got your attention,my question to everyone is completely huning video related.when you watch hunting videos what turns you on about them,is it the opening trailers that catch your attention,is it the actual stalk on an animal,do you love seeing the impact of the bullet,or is it the animals comming into your calls.what about just observing animals doing what animals naturally do in the wild.do you watch them for the host of the show,what about female hosts??,does excitiment come in the form of seeing a youth take thier first animal or thier biggest.is it all about the horn size or is it about the location and terrain.do you prefer to see hosts being guided with celebrity co-hosts.
as you can see there are many reasons one watchs them, including just passing time during the off season and i want to hear them all and maybe for what reasons.
if you could have your own hunting show what kinda format would or do you want?
bring it all on boys and girls we all wanna know
WHAT TURNS YOU ON
bhb

OH, AND DO BELIEVE ME WHEN I SAY THIS, " I ABSOLUTELY KNOW WHERE YOUR GOING WITH THIS."

vortex hunter
01-26-2011, 05:43 PM
what is your biggest turn on ???

Frankly - having watched a lot of "Wild TV" over the last year or so.......

Make mine Blonde - size 36 cups and squeezed in a pair of tight jeans...

Most of the hunting shows really bore me to death...... they are all the same old crap - just regurgitated in a different setting....

.. // ..

Yeah wild tv sucks It's like when I raced downhill mountian bikes and would be in whistler and I would pin it past all those folk in expensice gear and I would just be wearing shorts and knee guards lol.... Big turn on for me is my Wife comin out of the shower hehehe lol lol

peashooter
01-26-2011, 05:56 PM
real hunts, not tree stand on circle k ranch waiting for uncle Stan's pet whitetail to come for supper. firm handshake, slap on back, nice shot celebration. not whoot whoot, scored a touchdown, won the lotto celebration.

bowhunterbruce
01-26-2011, 10:44 PM
what about the oldies like "the american sportsman" with curt gowdy as the host.those were pretty real including seeing fred bear shooting a grizzly with his long bow.anyone here remember those type of shows
bhb

270WIN
01-26-2011, 10:58 PM
agree with most the people here. Not to big into the food plot hunts or the gage hunts. Like the down and dirty over the back kind of style hunt. Look like the realy worked for the animal and were out there for a few days. Any thing bc is good. as a few here I have pvr set to a few. the few shows I realy injoy are live 2 hunt, hunting high and I injoy watching the profeinal and jim shockey and U.S. based shoes I like the host of the choice and some of there shows are good such as the one I watch the other night were they were hunting black bears on the island and they had a big blackie charge.

Use to like arrow affliction when chris brackett was the host

BromBones
01-26-2011, 11:21 PM
I think Lancasters videos are some of the best. Nothing flashy, just a bunch of good old boys out hunting.

Some of the videos that Jack Brittingham puts out are so frickin phony I can't stand it. Using footage from some guy shooting a bear to make it look like it was his daughters hunt, or filming a 'dramatic' stalk after the animal is already down. Seen a bunch of made up crap on his movies. Freakin douchebag.

ibehuntin
01-26-2011, 11:25 PM
I prefer shows/movies that that are more real footage and less after the shot fill footage. Billy Molls' "Modern Day Mountain Man" and Cabelas "Memories in the Field" are just a few of the type I like. I absolutly despise the Drury reality/contest type shows. Hot chicks in bikinis bow fishing is also acceptable. :wink: But raw footage of quality hunts in wild places is what I like. Oh yeh, and a host that isnt a ass is also a must.

dana
01-27-2011, 09:12 PM
I want to see a ton of footage of wildlife and cut out all the filler crap of guys eating their dinner's back at the outfitter's lodge. If you book a hunt for 5 or 7 days, yup, they are going to feed you. No need to show that crap and waste your whole show. My daughter actually times the actual hunting footage on Wild TV and most 30 min shows have less than 4 mins of actual hunting footage. It is an absolute waste of a good idea in Television. The only guys that seem to do a pretty good job at giving me what I want to see are Cody Robins and The Rack Man.
I've got a several western hunting videos and DVD's. By far the best are the ones that have barely any filler footage. I just look at the Muley Crazy series and it by far sets the bar so high when it comes to giving me what I want to see. Tons and Tons of live footage. The killshots are secondary and a lot of time aren't even caught on film because it was more important to kill the buck than to get the perfect kill shot. And then when a buck is on the ground, they show it, and talk about the hunt. When you pile on big buck after big buck after big buck after big buck to the point your head rolls, that right there is what gets me excited about watching a hunting show.

Gateholio
01-27-2011, 09:12 PM
One show I really like is "Arrow Affliction"

the host is humble and funny. He does stuff just for the hell of it. Like bowhunting gophers! And he practiced ona Jack in the box sorta pop up toy. Hilarious and fun.

Total opposite of Mr Cool Spook Nation dude.:mrgreen:

horshur
01-27-2011, 09:50 PM
One show I really like is "Arrow Affliction"

the host is humble and funny. He does stuff just for the hell of it. Like bowhunting gophers! And he practiced ona Jack in the box sorta pop up toy. Hilarious and fun.

I here they are gonna have a grouse hunting special:mrgreen:

Gateholio
01-27-2011, 10:24 PM
I here they are gonna have a grouse hunting special:mrgreen:

I sure hope so!:-D

That dude has fun no matter what he is doing, it's a great difference from the "I'm a SERIOUS bowhunter" guys, which make bowhunting seem like you need to join a new religion if you want to bowhunt.:-D

bowhunterbruce
01-31-2011, 11:27 PM
well after spending some good quality time in front of the dvd player this past weekend i watched alot of hunting shows.after reading some of the comments left here i found myself really looking for what was good, bad and ugly about them all.
sure i saw alot of the staged approachs and no blood on the body or tongues hanging out,but i also saw alot of quick cut to the animals just before the shot type hunts, i can honestly say i never once had the feeling i was there right with them.
no sence of climbing up to them, or the adventure of the stalk.
treestand hunts over fields do nothing for me,spot and stalk is very high on my good to go lists,calling the animals then runnin to get in closer=totally cool.kids being successful totally rocked especially when the entire family gets into it and are not only a little bit competitive but even more so supportive.
i will never get tired of watching the high alpine hunts but good ones are very few and far between.
any other thoughts out there???
bhb

hunter1947
02-01-2011, 03:56 AM
I thought about this over the last week and guess I do have a turn on ,my best turn on is to help someone else get there game animal there is great enjoyment to me to see the other person smiling from ear to ear when they get there animal :wink:.

dennichristianthegreate
02-01-2011, 06:38 AM
... based on your experiences, shooting style, convenience, and lifestyle - what is your favorite or preferred brand of digital camera? Doesnt have to be the camera that you own, just the one you want or like.

cheers

fearnodeer
02-01-2011, 07:08 AM
I like watching Fred Bear they are old but great hunts

emerson
02-01-2011, 11:49 AM
The stalk/calling. The kill is not always necessary for me to prove mastery of a hunter's skills and instincts over the animal's. After I become a better hunter, I foresee many "successful" hunts that could have ended with more meat in the freezer but don't. Seeing someone helping someone else experience a successful hunt and the resulting joy is probably the biggest payoff.

sherpa-Al
02-01-2011, 06:37 PM
I enjoy the alpine hunts the most when captured on video. Maybe because I love hunting the high country but most of these shows actually capture how physically demanding and rewarding the hunts are. The hunter can go from utter exhaustion to jubilation in a matter of seconds, can't beat that. I have had some filming exposure over the last few years mostly goat hunting, some prairie mulies and antelope. My buddy in Alberta has made some DVD's featuring these and other hunts. Although I was initially against any publication of my hunts I have since warmed up to the idea, mainly because the dvd's are done tastefully without a lot of b.s. They are real and not staged in any way, and basically show how the hunts happen, good and bad.

For anyone who doesn't try and get footage of their hunts, for personal or commercial use, I would highly recommend it. It's a great feeling to be able to relive any time spent out hunting/scouting with friends or family having a few laughs by watching your film footage.

Al.

AT&T
02-03-2011, 10:27 AM
I know what is my biggest turn off. These hunts where you see the fences and its all done on someones private land, and theres deer feeders and everything. Ghey. I want to see some rugged country and real hunts happening. I watch fishing shows too where these guys catch a few small ones and are like "well we didnt get the big one we hoped for, see you next time" Well hey then maybe dont air this crappy day then? Try again, get some good fish on video and THEN put it on tv.

Exactly. What a joke some of this is. A guy in a blind talking like he is walking down the side walk. Waiting for animals to come into a man made water source while the trucks drop grain down the paths. This is just dumb and I dont think it is fair.

Not the BC experience by a long shot.

bugler
02-03-2011, 11:14 AM
Tiffany and/or Nicole.

bowhunterbruce
03-13-2011, 06:29 AM
ok, so who all is planning on video taping thier hunts this upcomming season.some spot n stalk bowhunting vids this spring bear season would be soooooo cool,especially if it get up close and personal
bhb

proguide66
03-13-2011, 08:53 AM
I love videoing hunting , but dont like 'fake' 'superhero' footage like stalking into cameras , acting ect ect...real hunting rocks out...although its DAMNED HARD to get a complete hunt on video.....this following video has about everything in it to make you wanna puke , 'bs stalking into the camera' , absolute rediculous poor shot choice , two gut shots and as well looks like un hunted wintering deer on someones back yard or something....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkR869NfhtY
Then they go on to make this GREAT video for the public eye.Note the 3 arrows left upon the leg shot....:-?...then a full quiver upon 'retrieval'....ya , these videos ARENT what 'turns me on':evil:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7GOJxP27h4

Big Lew
03-13-2011, 08:58 AM
I totally agree with the tone of the responders to this thread. I thoroughly enjoy watching basically un-edited, real footage of wilderness spot and stalk hunting, including unsuccessful stalks. and what it takes, including gear etc. I particularly enjoy watching film of stalking close to trophy-size animals. I have no patience for most of the crappy junk produced across the line from staged or farmed animals. A couple come to mind.... rich dude taken by the hand to a private ranch, trophy pointed out to him, and even though there was no ethical shot, he shot it in the ass....obviously only interested in the rack, couldn't care less if it suffered, or if he ruined most of the meat. Another film of a hunter taken to a tree stand, and shortly after settled in, a whole bunch of deer came running in to him that were obviously herded toward him.

bearhunter338-06
03-13-2011, 09:17 AM
And I was thinking this was going to be about..............OH forget it :mrgreen:

beeugle
03-13-2011, 08:07 PM
If I'm gonna watch hunting on TV I want to see, beautiful country, some of the "getting to the spot" footage, some footage of animals even the ones not in the cross hairs. Primarily canadian, seems to be less of the attitude, for instance I really enjoy that fella from saskatchewan, half Doc... real, and exciting hunts.... spoke to him on another forum about his stuff. but mostly I want to feel I was a part of the hunt, being there.. becoming envious I wasn't, and respecting the sport, and the animals.
What I hate about the hunting vids.... sh!itty unnecessary Music... when I hunt , I don't want to listen to rock garbage. and poor commentaries.. and advertising... jeez... like we don't get enough of that... I even mute the channel just to give me the enjoyment of the hunt without that noise.. so no to overwhelming music..
and canned US hunts, and jim shockey who has gone over the edge .... used to like him, now, I'll turn the channel... that's my list brucey!!!!

snareman1234
03-13-2011, 08:20 PM
I love videoing hunting , but dont like 'fake' 'superhero' footage like stalking into cameras , acting ect ect...real hunting rocks out...although its DAMNED HARD to get a complete hunt on video.....this following video has about everything in it to make you wanna puke , 'bs stalking into the camera' , absolute rediculous poor shot choice , two gut shots and as well looks like un hunted wintering deer on someones back yard or something....

Then they go on to make this GREAT video for the public eye.Note the 3 arrows left upon the leg shot....:-?...then a full quiver upon 'retrieval'....ya , these videos ARENT what 'turns me on':evil:

10-4 on that.

Those are brutal, definitely makes you want to puke, and slap that guy.

bowhunterbruce
03-16-2011, 06:45 AM
If I'm gonna watch hunting on TV I want to see, beautiful country, some of the "getting to the spot" footage, some footage of animals even the ones not in the cross hairs. Primarily canadian, seems to be less of the attitude, for instance I really enjoy that fella from saskatchewan, half Doc... real, and exciting hunts.... spoke to him on another forum about his stuff. but mostly I want to feel I was a part of the hunt, being there.. becoming envious I wasn't, and respecting the sport, and the animals.
What I hate about the hunting vids.... sh!itty unnecessary Music... when I hunt , I don't want to listen to rock garbage. and poor commentaries.. and advertising... jeez... like we don't get enough of that... I even mute the channel just to give me the enjoyment of the hunt without that noise.. so no to overwhelming music..
and canned US hunts, and jim shockey who has gone over the edge .... used to like him, now, I'll turn the channel... that's my list brucey!!!!
great list buddy,i couldn't agree more.

Phreddy
03-16-2011, 10:39 AM
To me, waching hunting and fishing shows is like watching porn movies. All you're doing is paying money and wasting time watching someone else have fun.

bowhunterbruce
04-01-2011, 06:13 AM

i see what you mean proguide.those videos totally sucked.i have seen a few of your vid's and thats what realism is all about,keep em comming bud

bowhunterbruce
02-02-2012, 07:34 AM
after seeing the canada in the rough shows the last couple weeks it was good to see that they have done a few things different.
so has anyone else noticed any other shows that have made changes for both the better or worse.

02-02-2012, 09:54 AM
THE Canada in the Rough the last 2 weeks was very well done ......... professional.
That said, for solo, home made or average guy doing a video ..... it does not get much better then Pro Guide 66, be it up North on Moose and Sheep or his terrific Black Tail vid's,
The guy Rocks!

CT

Stone Sheep Steve
02-02-2012, 09:59 AM
One of my new favs is "The Canadian Guide Life". Not as Professional as CITR but the content is great and the host is laid back and is not afraid to show it as it happens.
And those "Vintage Videos" of the stone rams get the sheep fever pumping!!

SSS

bcmulie
02-02-2012, 10:21 AM
I prefer shows that really set the scene - you know where they're hunting, they show some scenery shots, etc - and that depict all the parts of the hunt (scouting, spotting, the stalk, the kill). Shows where you can really tell that guys love what they're doing and have respect for the animal are great (Shockey's shows, Live 2 Hunt). Anything involving sheep or muleys will get me to watch, even if it's otherwise a crappy show. Any show involving black bear hunting or bird hunting usually gets me to change the channel; same with whitetail hunts over food plots. I much prefer the shows that are a little rougher around the edges and just show average guys having a great time hunting (the "Never Enough" DVDs are awesome for this, plus they show some phenomenal animals). While showing the kill shot is important, if it's all about the kill they are missing the point. Best of the West does this - all you really see is the shot and them talking about how great their shooting set up is, with almost nothing about the hunt. And I really don't need to see you going to the store to buy your tag, or eating your dinner at the hunting lodge.

bcmulie

BearStump
02-02-2012, 02:38 PM
I like "real" hunts. Not the ghey whitetail hunts in sask. on some farmers field that has been pretty much raising and watching these deer for like 5 years then calls up "lee and tiffany" to shoot 'em.

The last 2 part episode of canada in the rough was real good but needed more hunting footage and less yapping, and commercials.

I also love to see the kill shot.

Livewire322
02-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Red head girls w/ big cans... G.R.I.T.S :-D

No really I like the format that the "bucking the odds" on YouTube follow. I watch them for hunter effort if it looks like there is a guide doing ALL the work I won't watch it

SimilkameenSlayer
02-02-2012, 03:52 PM
a truck with a rick of firewood with a mulie buck laid on top; one keeps you warm the other keeps you fed.

awesome.

NNS
02-02-2012, 04:10 PM
Haven't had a TV in over 33 years..:shock:
On dial-up because I am to cheap to pay sat. fees of $99.00/mo. (starting), so I very seldom watch U-Tube..
Am I missing something?
Maybe I should move to town?
:lol:

The Hermit
02-02-2012, 04:36 PM
I sure hope so!:-D

That dude has fun no matter what he is doing, it's a great difference from the "I'm a SERIOUS bowhunter" guys, which make bowhunting seem like you need to join a new religion if you want to bowhunt.:-D

Wait, I DIDN'T have to join the religion???? Crap!! LOL I like the old shows, Mr Bear poking a grizzly with a sharp stick, I like Shockey's stuff too - his crew has some fun and are pretty humble for the most part. I hate the bear over a barrel thing and wouldn't do that hunt myself with rifle or bow. I'm okay with gathering some meat and increasing the odds in my favor by feeding some deer but it wouldn't be the makings for a good "hunting" video.

My favorite shows are of calling a moose or elk into bow range. Can't fake that up very easily... also shows that show how patient we have to be sometimes when a bull is hung up just outside of comfort bow range.

houndogger
02-02-2012, 05:36 PM
After guiding a camera crew around I have no interest in watching hunting shows...after it is edited up its mostly just bs...

Deaddog
02-02-2012, 06:31 PM
if it is a hunting show I want to know the people on the hunt/kill have done some work..hiked, hunted ..not just drove up , went to a bait stand or a blind..wait , shoot...aren't I great..go home.....BC Rams and SSS with canada in the rough..those are shows worth watching..

Moose63
02-02-2012, 08:25 PM
THE Canada in the Rough the last 2 weeks was very well done ......... professional.
That said, for solo, home made or average guy doing a video ..... it does not get much better then Pro Guide 66, be it up North on Moose and Sheep or his terrific Black Tail vid's,
The guy Rocks!

CT

Proguide66 and Hunter1947 have the best Utube vids.

Moose63
02-02-2012, 08:27 PM
Bringing home organic meat for the family (and friends) to enjoy!

91Jason91
02-02-2012, 08:27 PM
Lol when I read this "whats is your biggest turn on???" I was like wow lets look at this thread its gonna be going crazy lol
and I would say a good vid cam that is in hd and you can see the furr being hit by the bullet and also grizz huts and calling a big elk in and blasting it. I also like watching the long shots with a good hd cam where you can see the bullet fly through the sky and hit the animal and it drops thats always cool

91Jason91
02-02-2012, 08:28 PM
Haven't had a TV in over 33 years..:shock:
On dial-up because I am to cheap to pay sat. fees of $99.00/mo. (starting), so I very seldom watch U-Tube..
Am I missing something?
Maybe I should move to town?
:lol:
Lol where abouts do you live?

NNS
02-02-2012, 09:15 PM
I live in the interior..
My particular place is in a dead zone for even cell service..
I could install a tower and cut down some trees to get a signal off of a mountain and may do that some day..
Dial-up sucks!

As far as the TV goes I'll never own another as I don't miss it a bit..

SimilkameenSlayer
02-02-2012, 09:45 PM
I live in the interior..
My particular place is in a dead zone for even cell service..
I could install a tower and cut down some trees to get a signal off of a mountain and may do that some day..
Dial-up sucks!

As far as the TV goes I'll never own another as I don't miss it a bit..

same here acsept i don't dial up, but yer, don't like the tv, tv sucks!!!!!!!

bowhunterbruce
03-14-2012, 11:57 AM
so who all is planning to video thier spring bear hunts this year.
anyone have a plan or are you just gonna wing it.

SimilkameenSlayer
03-14-2012, 01:00 PM
don't like modern commercial hunting videos, just turn me off hunting, not on.
that said this old footage is awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaQ7ajWanFg

bowhunterbruce
03-14-2012, 01:11 PM
sweet video ss,
thanks