PDA

View Full Version : what compass?

forthunter
01-25-2011, 10:27 PM
well my buddy learnded me how to use a compass this hunting season and now im going to invest in one. Just wondering what you guys are useing and what you recomend ?

thanks in advance FH

NitwiT
01-25-2011, 10:31 PM
I use the sun, moon, polaris, and my garmin 60csx. If all these fails, I follow the electronic compass on my truck mirror. Have yet to get lost!!!

BCbillies
01-25-2011, 10:33 PM
I've used the Ranger by Silva for years and can say it's saved me on many occasions especially when the gps craps out. Has the flip up cover with the mirror . . . I don't head into the bush without it and it doesn't use batteries!

forthunter
01-25-2011, 10:36 PM
lol thanks bud polaris? when u get a quad 8) i do plan on getting a gps,compass is for back-up and using with gps

forthunter
01-25-2011, 10:46 PM
went to the silva webpage the ranger looks sweet

250 sav
01-25-2011, 10:55 PM
silva or sunto

with the mirior and declination setting, can't remember the model but ranger sounds correct for the silva. Used them lots when I worked in forestry they are easy to use and dependable. .02$

Singleshotneeded
01-26-2011, 01:20 AM
Silva...had mine for years...Garmin 60 csx or the new equivalent is the 62, I believe. Don't get a touch screen gps, they can freeze up in very cold temps.

Poguebilt
01-26-2011, 09:58 AM
My Sar group all had the older silva rangers.... worked great!

I went a and got a Brunton with a few more options esp like the glow in the dark points.... We did a nite compass course and I was the fastest cause I didnt have to fumble with my flashlight as much!

Brunton 15TDCL Elite 360 Navigator Compass

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/3/GPSCompass/Compasses/PRDOVR~0754004P/Brunton%252B15TDCL%252BElite%252B360%252BNavigator %252BCompass.jsp?locale=en

More $$ but worth it

Steeleco
01-26-2011, 10:25 AM
I don't use mine much, or my GPS too much anymore for that matter, but I do own http://www.brunton.com/product.php?id=186 I like the ability to be able to combine my maps and the GPS to know exactly where I am on the map.

MikeH
01-26-2011, 10:32 AM
I use a Silva.

forthunter
01-26-2011, 05:37 PM
thanks for the responses guys

Fisher-Dude
01-26-2011, 06:31 PM
Another vote for Silva.

Ron.C
01-26-2011, 06:47 PM
I've used the Ranger by Silva for years and can say it's saved me on many occasions especially when the gps craps out. Has the flip up cover with the mirror . . . I don't head into the bush without it and it doesn't use batteries!

yep, Silva Ranger is a great piece of kit. I've mine since I was in army cadets more then 20 years ago and it's been with me on every hunt since. They have adjustable declination, a metric ruler on one side, an imperial ruler on the other, and two different size roamers. Plus the compass has several luminescent strips to allow for use at night.

M.Dean
02-06-2011, 01:03 PM
When I get lost, horribly horribly Lost, I stop the Quad, dismount and pound a 3 foot stake in the ground. I then mark the tip of shadow it's cast at the end with a smaller stake of wood. I wait 10 minutes and mark the tip of the shadow again. I then draw a line from small stake to small stake, this line will Always point East and West, no matter what time of day or year! The second stake is the Easterly one! It works, try it out in your yard. This method was discovered by a 17 year old Boy Scout Robert Owendoff of Falls Church, Va. The article says it has been successful in more than 50,000 field tests, and under some conditions is more accurate than a Compass! I found this in a old news paper clipping from 1963. And, yes I know someone going to say" What if it's cloudy out?" If it's cloudy out, stay at home you Woosie!!!

islander338
02-09-2011, 09:14 AM
Has anyone ever seen an orianteering course advertised?

bc cooker
02-09-2011, 09:42 AM
I work in the forest industry, we use Silva,Brunton.....there are others. Things you should have on your compass, a cover with mirror, declination adjustment, sight line and grid lines on a see-through base helps. Good luck.:-D

02-09-2011, 10:08 AM

Best compass available IMO...I've used one for 20+ years.

Spirit's Master
02-09-2011, 10:17 AM
Has anyone ever seen an orianteering course advertised?

Check with your local community college or recreation centre, sometimes they will offer them. Ground Search and Rescue groups often offer them too.

x2 on the Silva Ranger, always a good military standard. A good topo map will make your compass worth every penny.

cwf

Kody94
02-09-2011, 10:24 AM
Like most 4sters I've gone through a few Silva Rangers. They are the "standard".

forthunter
02-09-2011, 09:27 PM
well went to wholesale sports toady and got the ranger thanks for all the advice

rocksteady
02-10-2011, 08:36 AM
Silva has been the standard in the forest industry and forest related activities for the last 30 years or more...

You will no be dissappointed in your purchase...

Mr Conservation
02-12-2011, 04:05 PM
well went to wholesale sports toady and got the ranger thanks for all the advice

My vote is for the Silva Ranger as well. Have owned one since the mid 70's and never had an issue with it, except for a bubble forming in the liquid. Bubble doesn't seem to affect the accuracy, but it would be nice to eliminate it.

Now that you have the compass, you need to get out there and PRACTICE with it. :wink: Does no good if you are not proficient with it. :confused: The golden rule when using one is "always trust your compass" :!:

Mr Conservation