PDA

View Full Version : Is letting your dog hunt wildlife legal in BC?

doghunter
01-25-2011, 10:30 AM
I'm really not sure why my post has been referred to as a 'troll post'. I was simply seeking an answer to a legitimate question I had. Yes- I could have gone directly to F & W but while trying to research on the web I came across this forum. I expected to gain support not be called a troll.
Why- because I want to hunt my dogs? Because I actually want to work them and spend time with them doing what they were bred to do? As I had stated I am not trying to hunt them on quarry that could injure or kill them so what is the big deal? Don't forget there are many, many people who disagree with hunting animals period and who are calling all of you a bunch of red necks. I'm not a hunter but I also didn't come here to judge you or your sport so why jump on me?

Thank you for the few helpful answers.

Barracuda
01-25-2011, 10:51 AM
its all in the regs as well as acceptable methods of hunting http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/

doghunter
01-25-2011, 11:04 AM
I've looked through it but couldn't find specifically what I'm looking for. Especially pertaining to 'my own property vs crown land'. Thanks though. I will give them a call later today.

gamer
01-25-2011, 11:16 AM
Dogs are used for tracking or retrieving, not for killing game. You would have to be a licensed hunter to use dogs to persue game. Dogs must be leashed when hunting large game and other such regulations can be found in the hunting synopsis as has been mentioned. In some areas hunting is only permitted on private land, however, the rules are the same as on crown land.

Gateholio
01-25-2011, 11:20 AM
There is no distinction between private and public land when it comes to hunting wildlife. All the same rules apply. There are some provisions for protecting private property though.

doghunter
01-25-2011, 11:21 AM
I am not after large game though.

Gateholio
01-25-2011, 11:21 AM
Pack rats and mice are Schedule C animals IIRC. No lic needed. Raccoons and yotes have hunting seasons. DOn't even think about harming a badger in BC.:-D

doghunter
01-25-2011, 11:28 AM
Thanks gatehouse- Thats the info I was looking for. I will confirm with F&W.
Happy Hunting Everyone.

Gateholio
01-25-2011, 11:51 AM
I know nobody is going to get upset if you shoot or trap a pack rat or mouse in your outbuildings, and cats kill them all the time, so I don't see the difference between that and dogs. Might want to check, anyway.

Barracuda
01-25-2011, 12:05 PM
i think you may be allowed to hunt Unicorns ,Dragons and Trolls on private property or the internet .:lol:

bighornbob
01-25-2011, 01:08 PM
DOn't even think about harming a badger in BC.:-D

Hang on a second, I want to see the dog that is going to try and take on a badger. The vet bills would be added up pretty quick.:mrgreen:

BHB

gamer
01-25-2011, 01:32 PM
Let me be more clear, my statement was regarding use of dogs in B.C. not across the globe.

chilcotin hillbilly
01-26-2011, 07:26 AM
As far as badgers, there are many states where you can hunt them with dogs. Many do with great success. It must be quite a battle.

bowhunterbruce
01-26-2011, 08:00 AM
i would focus your attention on the schedule b and c portion of the regulation when asking fish and wildlife about using dogs for hunting on your own property,you will probalbly have a much better reponce to them do to the nature of those animals falling under the pests or invasive spieces type of critters.i'm sure they probably wont have a problem with it at all although ya may have to take the core for animal identifacation and purchace a licience to do so but you wont need any tags. jmo
bhb

shotgunjohn
01-26-2011, 08:35 AM
If you are serious about hunting these dogs why not take the C.O.R.E. course? It should answer a lot of your questions.

BiG Boar
01-26-2011, 09:19 AM
Somehow I can't believe I am getting sucked into this troll post. Whats next, lions in africa with a 270?

However, I say, kill all the rats you want to with your dogs and cats. I didnt know this but yesterday was watching a movie where they bet on how many rats a terrier could kill within 3 minutes. They put them in a 5 foot x 5 foot box and let the rats have it. I wonder if that would be legal in BC? All except the betting part of course. If you do organize one of these rat killing festivals please inform me as I would love to volunteer for the event.

Barracuda
01-26-2011, 09:31 AM
IBTL :mrgreen: