PDA

View Full Version : Best Area for a Hunting Spread

bill biggs
01-24-2011, 08:42 PM
Fellow Hunters,
After years of saving, I'm planning on buying a hunting acreage in Northern BC in the next few months. The research I've done is pointing to either Region 6, between Rupert/Smithers and Dease Lake, or 7, northeast of Chetwynd/Fort St. John.

I'm not looking for a massive chunk of land, but I have found some decent and affordable parcels in both areas which back onto crown land. My main interests in Hunting are Moose and Elk, but Caribou and Deer are also on the agenda. It would be nice to net somewhere within driving distance to some leh Bison too.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Once the place is bought, it likely won't be that easy to sell, so I want to do my research rather than suffer a change of heart down the road.

Thanks,

Bill

dutchie
01-24-2011, 09:07 PM
I would head to Fort Nelson...

All of the above within a few hours

Dutchie

KB90
01-24-2011, 09:12 PM
I would go region 7 if I were you.

tinhorse
01-24-2011, 09:16 PM
hudson hope. incredible for elk and deer and moose.

proguide66
01-24-2011, 09:19 PM
hudson hope. incredible for elk and deer and moose.

X2 , central for every part of the province. f I could leave the ocean I'd be there , its beautifull to boot and kinda cozy. If I had to live in Chetwynd I'd kill myself though.
:razz:

blindguy
01-24-2011, 09:26 PM
Hudson hope all the way beautifull and full of game!

Spy
01-24-2011, 09:34 PM
LOL! Are you going to put up NO HUNTINGsigns!:wink::wink:

TPB
01-24-2011, 09:37 PM
I heard a rumor its free access to all HBC members?

beni
01-24-2011, 10:35 PM
I heard a rumor its free access to all HBC members?

I heard that too...I swear!! :mrgreen:

MuleyMadness
01-24-2011, 11:39 PM
Region 7, amazing hunting, and damn near everything is open at one time or another during the season. Now I can't speak for much of Region 6, but in my experience the people that live in 7b, are some of the finest people I have ever met. As nice as the day is long as they say. Add great people to great hunting, and you are in something close to paradise. For a hunting spot, 7b would be my first choice, bar none.

hunter1947
01-25-2011, 03:34 AM
If it was me I would buy around the Hudson hope area.

hellojello74
01-25-2011, 02:58 PM
how is site C affecting the hudson hope area properties?

bill biggs
01-25-2011, 08:12 PM
Thanks for all the good feedback guys, looks like everyone so far is leaning towards region 7. Any more info/details is appreciated.

HAHAHA, "No Hunting" Signs... and a big fu&& off fence too!!! hahahah.

Bill.

NitwiT
01-25-2011, 08:21 PM
Do it bill! Only way to keep crap off your lands!

Spy
01-25-2011, 08:29 PM
Thanks for all the good feedback guys, looks like everyone so far is leaning towards region 7. Any more info/details is appreciated.

HAHAHA, "No Hunting" Signs... and a big fu&& off fence too!!! hahahah.

Bill.

I figured as much!!:cry::twisted::twisted: Soon BC will be bought up fenced in & "WE" will all be paying premium prices for our kids to hunt on private land! Welcome to Africa, Ummm sorry Canada. The Writing is on the wall! Sorry to Hijack your thread,I just think it is sad the way things are going to go! And yes there is no stopping "Progress",:twisted: Private hunting estates!:evil:

bridger
01-25-2011, 09:00 PM

it isn't and won't for several years in the event hydro acutally announces its a go ahead.

bridger
01-25-2011, 09:53 PM

it isn't and won't for several years

Bear Chaser
01-25-2011, 10:07 PM
A few words of caution regarding land purchases in 7B.
Gas exploration activity is literally resculpting the landscape north of Hudson Hope and the entire Peace region in general.
Before you lay out your hard earned cash please be aware that oil & gas companies can and will drill wells, construct pipelines, build roads and facilities ANYWHERE they choose. This may include on your new hunting property or immediately beside it on crown land.
As was posted on another thread your new favorite honey hole can become a beehive of activity literally overnight.:cry:

mark
01-25-2011, 10:25 PM
Gas exploration activity is literally resculpting the landscape north of Hudson Hope and the entire Peace region in general.
Before you lay out your hard earned cash please be aware that oil & gas companies can and will drill wells, construct pipelines, build roads and facilities ANYWHERE they choose. This may include on your new hunting property or immediately beside it on crown land.
As was posted on another thread your new favorite honey hole can become a beehive of activity literally overnight.:cry:

Ya but then they plant clover on the pipelines and all the deer and elk come to feed! :-D

leadpillproductions
01-25-2011, 10:34 PM
Buy in chetwynd area and i will help with all the problem animals lol

MuleyMadness
01-25-2011, 10:39 PM

Yeah, and let's not forget, it's not as though you're not compensated for anything that is done on your land. Sure they can build roads, drill, put pumpjacks, run pipelines, etc, but they don't get access to private land for free. Once the construction phase of the work is completed, they also have to clean up the sites pretty well, including leveling and replanting work. Plenty of pump stations, wells, gas line roads, access roads, etc on land that is very productive hunting area, with the added benefit of putting some money in your pocket. I myself have shot an elk not 50 yards from a pipeline pumping station that was less than a year old.

Sure things are changing, but it's not exactly doom and gloom. You may have to be adaptable, but it's still, imo, the best hunting area in the province, and on the doorstep of the amazing upper Peace/Fort Nelson area.

BCrams
01-25-2011, 10:49 PM
Ya but then they plant clover on the pipelines and all the deer and elk come to feed! :-D

Thats a fact. Saw a monster white-tailed buck bedded in such a clover patch at a remote pump station from a helicopter a few years back.

Bear Chaser
01-27-2011, 10:19 PM
Guys you'll get no arguements from me regarding the increased feed that becomes available on pipelines, etc. I've been taking advantage ever since I started hunting. The point I wanted to make is that the area is in for changes. Anyone who is looking to buy needs to be aware of what might be in store good and bad.