PDA

View Full Version : I want your meat!

Shawnee
01-24-2011, 06:18 PM
Ok .. now that I have your attention ;-) C'mon guys, that was cute!

I am looking for any meat, offal/organ meats and bones that you would otherwise not eat yourselves. Or, if you have bagged some new game and find that there isn't enough room in your freezer, or some of your meat has gone freezer-burnt, I WILL GLADLY TAKE IT. I have been feeding raw (prey animal) to my dogs for about 20 years but switched over to kibble and lost all of my contacts during my hiatus!
I'd just like to find some meat sources once again!

Now, I will go through the permits route, if you're looking to sell it, or you can offer it as a donation as I am a rescue organization, and can take donated meat IF it's (in fact) donated.

If you can haul the animal in in it's entirety, gut it, and save what you would normally leave behind, I will pick it up from you.

I take bones, offal and all organs, muscle meat and any ttrimmings - fat or not. IF you can help, it is GREATLY appreciated and while you're thinking of it, please tell your friends (and game cutters!)

Thanks everyone - and I apologize if this is posted in the wrong section. I'll move it if I must be moved, no problem :-D

You can contact me by email @ natikocoon@msn.com I don't know if I'll get messages here or not.

MuleyMadness
01-24-2011, 06:45 PM
It might help to know where you're location and the name of your rescue organization, if someone was so inclined to help :)

RJ
01-24-2011, 07:26 PM
Misleading title :evil:

01-24-2011, 07:32 PM
Sheesh with a title like that a guy best beware !

CT

moosinaround
01-24-2011, 08:07 PM
It might help to know where you're location and the name of your rescue organization, if someone was so inclined to help :)
Yup, if you are in my local, I could swing something for ya.

jamfarm
01-24-2011, 08:13 PM
Thats what she said...

Weatherby Fan
01-24-2011, 08:20 PM
Ya gota love a gal with a sence of humour !:-D

Shawnee
01-24-2011, 08:24 PM
I guess a woman knows how to get a man's attention when it's needed :)

Yes! My location and rescue!

My rescue is Paws For A While Animal Rescue: http://pawsforawhile.webs.com/

I'm located just outside of Kamloops but my husband travels up here from Vancouver every weekend - he commutes to and from work so he is always on the coast of Van. With me being here, I'm quite central so I could go anywhere in the Lower Nic or Thompson/Cariboo region depending on how far.

I just came back here to see if I had replies - some cute witty replies! :)
I'm not being alerted to these, so if you can would you email (address above). I'll keep checking back, regardless!

Thank you sooo much!

Gene Lasker
01-24-2011, 08:26 PM
Thats what she said...
:confused::confused::wink::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgre en:

bowhunterbruce
01-24-2011, 11:33 PM
thats what all the girls say:mrgreen: lol

Steeleco
01-25-2011, 01:27 AM
Now, I will go through the permits route, if you're looking to sell it,

This part is a NO NO, the sale, barter or trade of game meat is illegal. Donations are good so don't get tripped up buy someone trying to make a fast buck.

Good luck.

Crys Shorty
01-25-2011, 09:10 AM
PM sent :)

KB90
01-25-2011, 09:16 AM
This part is a NO NO, the sale, barter or trade of game meat is illegal.

She said she would go through a "permit" route. I don't think she said she was going to do anything illegal? I'm sure someone in here position of having a shelter, there would be some exceptions to the rule?

Steeleco
01-25-2011, 09:54 AM
I wasn't condemning her, just advising her. There are no permits that allow for the sale of game meat. Anytime you see game for sale in a butcher or a restaurant, it's either farm raised or not from BC.

Shawnee
01-25-2011, 10:28 AM
Steeleco,

I've been advised by F&W, that if I am to take donations of meat, I must have a permit. I don't understand why ... my brother gives his deer sausage away to his friends all the time ... but this is what I have been told. While my neighbours don't feel it's really neccessary and still donate when they can, I have a lot to lose by NOT following these rules, hense my need for a permit. The permit is free for non-profit organizations, as well, but the meat must be donated and not sold.
I was just saying that if you (as the hunter) require me to hold a permit to accept the donated meat, I will do this.

If I'm misunderstanding what F&W requires here, someone please let me know. It just seems a little silly for me to have to have a permit to ACCEPT donations of meat that I will not eat. But, I'll do what I have to do if it helps!! :D

Thanks SO much, guys!!!!!!

open-sights
01-25-2011, 11:41 AM
Probly meaning that you would need letters from the original owner of the game meat such as we all use for transportation, ie. Thats the only thing I can think you might need. but once it is cut and wrapped you would need nothing. whole carcass or un-butchered might require a letter from the person that harvested.

Marc
01-27-2011, 10:31 PM
Been emailing with Shawnee the past couple of days and I'm 100% OK with members donating meat, organs, bones to help her cause. She's reassured me that her organization is in no way anti hunting. She just wants to feed her dogs with the best food out there that is natural and available.

Marc.

Steeleco
01-28-2011, 01:29 AM
Steeleco,

I've been advised by F&W, that if I am to take donations of meat, I must have a permit. I don't understand why ... my brother gives his deer sausage away to his friends all the time ... but this is what I have been told. While my neighbours don't feel it's really neccessary and still donate when they can, I have a lot to lose by NOT following these rules, hense my need for a permit. The permit is free for non-profit organizations, as well, but the meat must be donated and not sold.
I was just saying that if you (as the hunter) require me to hold a permit to accept the donated meat, I will do this.

If I'm misunderstanding what F&W requires here, someone please let me know. It just seems a little silly for me to have to have a permit to ACCEPT donations of meat that I will not eat. But, I'll do what I have to do if it helps!! :D

Thanks SO much, guys!!!!!!

Shawnee, I take you at your word that they tell you this is the way, but it makes no sense to me? As open-sights stated, once the meat is cut and wrapped, it's free to donate it to whom ever the owner likes. I give meat to family members on occasion they don't need a permit and I ask nothing in return. Hell half the guys at work are my sausage guinea pigs, there's no ill intent there either??

I just didn't what anyone taking advantage of your need as the "sale" of game meat in any form is illegal.

Best of luck, Steeleco

MRBucks
01-29-2011, 11:55 AM
I always thought there were some serious concerns in feeding raw game meat to dogs? I think there are several parasites/worms they can get from it. Some such as heartworm can be fatal.

Since you have been feeding it to them for 20 years, have you not yet run into any problems regarding this?

Shawnee
01-31-2011, 11:40 AM
MRBucks,

There are serious issues when feeding kibble to dogs. More issues than I am willing to deal with now.

In the 20 yrs or so of feeding my dogs, I have gone through periods where I have fed kibble and periods of feeding 100% meat. I have never had any serious complications from feeding meat. Yes, my dogs have gone through bouts of diarrhea or vomiting, or off-days where they didn't want to eat but never anything so serious it involved veterinary care or intervention, just observation.

When my dogs did get seriously ill (I nearly lost our youngest and our oldest) was when I was feeding kibble. It was either something in the food or it was transmitted by one of our rescues we brought over from Louisiana; neither vet nor I could determine the cause regardless of the tests we performed.

In regards to Heartworm; heartworm is transmitted by mosquitoes, only.

As far as my dogs contracting and/or harboring some parasites from eating game? Absolutely! This is bound to happen and is easily controlled with a deworming regimine, which is what we do.

I was advised, however, by Marc to be wary of bear meat due to Trichinosis. I haven't fed our dogs bear in the past and nor will I, unless of course, it's thoroughly cooked. But with other game meat, freezing will be done but not to kill any parasites (as studies show this does not happen in most cases) but to have the present parasite go dormant.

@ Steelco;
I'm not too sure what the restrictions were and knowing me, I may have understood as yes, it makes NO sense to me, either. I've sent in my app for road kill, so we'll see if any other applications must accompany this ... I'm guessing I just misunderstood. I don't recall ever having an issue in the past.
I'll go to the F&W permit page and see what I can find what I read.

mobile butcher
02-22-2011, 07:33 AM
why dont you try riverside meats in salmon arm , armstrong meat market in armstrong

Shawnee
02-22-2011, 08:48 AM
You bet - thank you for those suggestions!!!

bcbrez
02-22-2011, 10:40 AM
sorry, can't have mine. I pressure can all the scraps for my dogs. Best stuff I can give them and they love it.

Duck Tales
04-09-2011, 11:24 PM
We down alot of waterfowl out here in Delta, sometimes limiting out is more birds than a guy likes to clean so if you're willing the boys and I can swing you some birds.

sparkes3
04-10-2011, 08:18 AM
why would you limit out if your not gonna clean them

sparkes3
04-10-2011, 08:19 AM
never mind i read your post again.
but as you stated it ,it seems like your not cleaning all the birds you kill.

Kayte
04-11-2011, 01:07 PM
We down alot of waterfowl out here in Delta, sometimes limiting out is more birds than a guy likes to clean so if you're willing the boys and I can swing you some birds.
if the OP doesn't take you up on the offer, my dog would be more than willing to help you out with the extra birds ;)

Shawnee
04-11-2011, 01:58 PM
Duck Tales;

Sorry, I just got this message and yes, ABSOLUTELY, we will generously accept waterfoul!
Delta is perfect as my husband works out there and commutes back up here every Friday - we both grew up in Delta!

Let me know what you have and when and we will make arrangements. Thanks SO much!!!
natikocoon@msn.com (subject 'meat') please