PDA

View Full Version : Sheep....NOW GOATS

palmer
06-27-2006, 06:23 PM
So we have talked about sheep...now lets talk Goats...
The only Goat I have taken was two years ago in region 6. It was just over nine inches long and scored just over 46 BC....I really enjoyed hunting them and will be looking this year when sheep hunting for another..

mainland hunter
06-27-2006, 06:27 PM
so post a pic of him. im hoping to go for goats this year so thanks for starting this thread.

palmer
06-27-2006, 06:34 PM
Sorry ..posting pics is way out of my expertise...look in LTs gallery to see the trip...

Here you go Palmer.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/1142004_goat.jpg

Those are some pretty content smiles, good for you guys.

goathead
06-27-2006, 07:18 PM
You have got to be crazy chasing goats.what A blast my best is A region 6 goat 2 years ago. just missed the book pic is in my avater.

scuba
06-27-2006, 07:34 PM
i've shot two goats, one in region 6 and one in region 7. pics are in my gallery. not sure how to get them here?

Stone Sheep Steve
06-28-2006, 06:15 AM
While considered a "poor man's sheep" by some, there's nothing I'd like more than a nice late-season half mount billy adorning my living room wall8).
I haven't spent much time chasing them and it shows. I've only shot one small late-season goat a few years ago.
Definitely not picture worthy:redface: .
Maybe this will be the year.

SSS

GoatGuy
06-29-2006, 06:22 AM
My absolute favorite critter to hunt.

Love the meat in the early season; it's a little chewy but man does it taste good.

Goats, to me, are a trophy animal kinda like sheep and I probably won't shoot more than 10 in my lifetime eventhough I've spent several trips specifically chasing goats.

The coastal variety are far and away bigger than interior goats. The bases on them make all the difference.

I'll be out in November (probably throwing rocks at stone sheep steve) this year looking for a late season cape unless I get the late season region 6 draw then it'll be December/January.

It certainly isn't for the faint of heart but it is unbelieveably rewarding. The country they live in is second to none.

Sitkaspruce
06-29-2006, 09:10 AM
I agree with Goat Guy.

I have hunted them off and on for about 20 years and have only harvested two of them, packed a lot more out as a guide and a sherpa for friends. I now just chase them with stick and string and that is a whole different ball game.

Here is the last one I got a few years ago.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Sitkaspruce/creatures001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Sitkaspruce/Goat1.jpg

Caveman
07-04-2006, 02:28 PM
I just got drawn in 3-35 A* any help out there between Sicamous and Three Valley Gap north of Hwy 1

PGKris
07-04-2006, 02:40 PM
I want to hunt them. I think they're cool. Second only to a big Dall ram in my books. Really considered putting in this year but the way things are turning out, there isn't much hope in having enough time. Next year!

Gateholio
07-04-2006, 02:44 PM
I'd love to get a nice big goat. I agree with the others in that the country they live in is awesome...:smile:

ape
07-04-2006, 03:16 PM
Well guys I had an extra draw card so I threw it in on goats just for the hell of it. It turns out I will be hunting goats come sept 1 this year in 7-03L I have been sledding in the area in the past but not that early in the year :-) :-) :-) :-) I guess I am now going to be spending some time scouting in that area. If anyone has a little info of the area any help will be appreciated.

Broncomarco
07-04-2006, 03:48 PM
I just came back from the Yukon, B.C and Alaska border last week. The girlfriend and I spotted quite a few goats with the spotting scope just off the Alaska highway. Saw three adults and to little ones just on the Alaska side of the boarder. Two of the three adults were definate shooters. Saw a few more on the B.C. side all solo. Hey Steelco if you read this maybe you could post the pic I e-mailed you of the goats.

Here you go!
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/101_1586.jpg

Brambles
07-04-2006, 04:10 PM
I got my goat draw this year so hopefully I'll find the time to fill it, they usually take back seat to other game for me. I really like goat mounts and one day I will put one on the wall but I'm not chomping at the bit to do it. I prefer to be hunting deer in mid to late november but the area I drew is sooooo close to home that I can day hunt the goats

one-shot-wonder
07-04-2006, 04:43 PM
I was drawn as well, same as last year 4-38.

However last year my goat hunt was less of a priority because I had been drawn for sheep and was not taking no for an answer on my sheep tag. :oops:

This year my goat draw was my only one so I will make sure I get after one of those late season capes in hopes of a nice half size mount!:cool:

GoatGuy
07-04-2006, 04:50 PM
Sitka,

Those pictures bring back memories. I might be back in that bowl October chasing Goatzilla (or one of his brothers) for myself!!!!!:mrgreen:

PGKris
07-04-2006, 05:16 PM
Hey ape talk to scuba. He took a nice one out of that area. That's around where I was going to put in. Some really nice country. Good luck!

Seth
07-04-2006, 05:19 PM
My father was just drawn for goats in 5-04 Yucheda Lake (I think). We've never hunted them before. Does anyone know what our odds are up in that area. If anyone has any helpful hints please PM me. Looking forward to it but we need some help here. Thanks guys.

PGKris
07-04-2006, 05:34 PM
Well if your signature says what guns you own, I would look at the .243 The .308 is better power but you'll want the long distance shooting ability. Just an idea...here it comes...I suggested a calibre...let the war begin!

Seth
07-04-2006, 09:09 PM
I looked into the area a little better and it is on the eastern shore of upper Taseko Lake. Not a lot of road access but might take the boat. Has anyone hunted that area? Are there any goats there or are we wasting our time? It's not even my tag but I'm starting to get excited just to go with the old man and see if we can't find him something.