PDA

View Full Version : Lower Mainland blacktails?

BCBOYS
01-24-2011, 01:01 PM
Hi im just wondering if any body is willing to give up so areas and ways to hunt for them. thanks

BiG Boar
01-24-2011, 01:04 PM
Buy a back roads map book of your area. Pick a few roads that you want to try, and get in the bush. You'll find em. Its not much more than that. Do a search for blacktail and read up on people hunts. There was a good thread last year on them.

BCBOYS
01-24-2011, 01:10 PM
thank you, i took a crack at one this year but couldnt quite thread the shot

Gateholio
01-24-2011, 01:20 PM
Search for Proguide66's blacktail thread. Lots of good hunting info in there

stanway
01-24-2011, 02:51 PM
thank you, i took a crack at one this year but couldnt quite thread the shot

Well, you're ahead of a lot of guys who didn't even see a buck last year.:wink:

lovemywinchester
01-24-2011, 05:08 PM
[QUOTE=BCBOYS;841166]Hi im just wondering if any body is willing to give up so areas and ways to hunt for them. thanks[/QUOTE

I can share some of my experience with you BCB as a new hunter myself. The spot to go is not as important as what you do when you get there. I have owned guns most of my life and have hunted with friends over the years as well but I never had my hunting licence until last fall. I managed to bag three deer and the BEST advice I had was to hunt in one area. Really get to know an areas terrain and where the deer are or have been. Try to find a deer trail or tracks and stay in those areas. If you find a well used deer trail keep going back until you find the deer. Don`t get discouraged. I hiked the same area several times over a few weeks before I bagged the Blacktail below. It was only about two square km in total so I got to know it well. You will probably see a doe or two before a buck but that means you are on the right track. I hunted by myself a lot as well. Its hard to have a buddy with you breaking sticks or kicking rocks around when you are trying to be stealthy. Just let someone know where you are going just in case of an accident.

Pick an area close to home so you can go a few times a week after work if possible or at least make it easy for weekend trips. Don`t hopscotch valley to valley cruising logging roads all day. Its fun to do but everyone else is doing the same thing. Start in a river or creek valley and if you find a worn deer trail follow it up and SLOWLY and quietly stalk your way up. Move like a predator, walk slowly then look around and repeat. IMO its easier to go uphill quietly then down. Plus you can drag the deer down if you get one. Also try to find an area where you don`t see any other human tracks. Hard to do in the LML but its worth the extra effort.
Hope this helps you a bit. You have 8 months to start scouting so good luck next fall and don`t get lost. And don`t waste your time hunting around Squamish or Whistler, its hunted out up here.

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l573/zippogold/bt3-1.jpg

Here is a tip on freezer organizing.
Whitetail on the left, Blacktail in the middle and Muley on the right.

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l573/zippogold/fullfreezer.jpg

BCBOYS
01-24-2011, 05:20 PM
Looks like a good season i got a cow elk this season nothin with iny points but, i have some hopes to get a blacktail, im the only one that tries in he area and theres alot of sign of little bucks in there. thanks for the help and ill see what comes around in a coming months

warnniklz
01-24-2011, 05:25 PM
Looks exactly like my freezer except without bottles of JD and Crown...

Anywho I'm going to pound the Big Silver Creek this summer. I'm pretty sure I've found a spot late last year. So now that I know it's there I'll hopefully be there as much as possible.

It goes up to a 1000m peak over 5 or so km... there's only 3 access roads in... if they are current. I'll be getting in via boat.

I'll be looking for deer as I'm searching for bears this spring

MikeH
01-24-2011, 05:33 PM
They are around just have to work for them your best bet is to hit up region 3 better success especially if your new to hunting can be very frustrating.

lovemywinchester
01-24-2011, 06:06 PM
Looks exactly like my freezer except without bottles of JD and Crown...

Anywho I'm going to pound the Big Silver Creek this summer. I'm pretty sure I've found a spot late last year. So now that I know it's there I'll hopefully be there as much as possible.

It goes up to a 1000m peak over 5 or so km... there's only 3 access roads in... if they are current. I'll be getting in via boat.

I'll be looking for deer as I'm searching for bears this spring

Be careful, thats Sasquatch country!

fearnodeer
01-24-2011, 06:27 PM
Pemberton,or pitt lake

BCBear
01-24-2011, 06:31 PM
[QUOTE=BCBOYS;841166]Hi im just wondering if any body is willing to give up so areas and ways to hunt for them. thanks[/QUOTE

I can share some of my experience with you BCB as a new hunter myself. The spot to go is not as important as what you do when you get there. I have owned guns most of my life and have hunted with friends over the years as well but I never had my hunting licence until last fall. I managed to bag three deer and the BEST advice I had was to hunt in one area. Really get to know an areas terrain and where the deer are or have been. Try to find a deer trail or tracks and stay in those areas. If you find a well used deer trail keep going back until you find the deer. Don`t get discouraged. I hiked the same area several times over a few weeks before I bagged the Blacktail below. It was only about two square km in total so I got to know it well. You will probably see a doe or two before a buck but that means you are on the right track. I hunted by myself a lot as well. Its hard to have a buddy with you breaking sticks or kicking rocks around when you are trying to be stealthy. Just let someone know where you are going just in case of an accident.

Pick an area close to home so you can go a few times a week after work if possible or at least make it easy for weekend trips. Don`t hopscotch valley to valley cruising logging roads all day. Its fun to do but everyone else is doing the same thing. Start in a river or creek valley and if you find a worn deer trail follow it up and SLOWLY and quietly stalk your way up. Move like a predator, walk slowly then look around and repeat. IMO its easier to go uphill quietly then down. Plus you can drag the deer down if you get one. Also try to find an area where you don`t see any other human tracks. Hard to do in the LML but its worth the extra effort.
Hope this helps you a bit. You have 8 months to start scouting so good luck next fall and don`t get lost. And don`t waste your time hunting around Squamish or Whistler, its hunted out up here.

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l573/zippogold/bt3-1.jpg

Here is a tip on freezer organizing.
Whitetail on the left, Blacktail in the middle and Muley on the right.

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l573/zippogold/fullfreezer.jpg

100% agree with this info. Boyd Iverson's trophy Tactics for Blacktail I and II are good reads to help the BT hunter. IMO it is critical to being running or riding the wind trainer or hockey or something elso to keep the legs strong and cardio tiptop. These aren't Sask Whitetails:mrgreen:

warnniklz
01-24-2011, 11:29 PM
Be careful, thats Sasquatch country!

Thanks for the warning... I'll string my Kokanee up high between two trees