PDA

View Full Version : Me and my Son's Excellent Elk Adventure

SUAFOYT
01-24-2011, 12:07 AM
We left home on the 15th with the plan to arrive at our friend's place in DC around 6 or so, have a few and get out to the land that we had made arrangements for the following morning. We hit Valemount around 10 and that's when the travel plans fell apart. An accident had occurred about 60k east of Valemount just before the AB border at 4 pm the previous day and it was still being cleared. The maddening thing was that there was no info being provided in Valemount at all, and the Drive BC website had minimal info. We sat in line at the Tete Jaune junction for about 2 hours as no traffic was being allowed beyond that point. When we started moving we picked up the pace and figured ok, not too bad, only a 2 hour delay. At about 5k before the accident site we were stopped again after we had caught up to all the traffic that was still being held from the accident from the day before. It was ridiculous. Again no info from anyone- no signage, no info from the road crews at all. This time we were there for 5 freakin hours. We rolled into Grande Prairie around 1:00 am on Sunday and took a room for some shuteye. We were both bagged and it was -27 and snowing heavy. Between Grande Cache and Grande Prairie we had seen over 100 elk alongside the highway and about 15 moose. We came within a whisker of hitting an elk so figured safety first. We got the 5 hours of shuteye and headed out again. It was snowing like hell so slowed us some more. I just love being passed by transports on a curve when they go by and create a whiteout.

We got to our destination around 8, stowed our gear, and out we went. The snow didn't quit all day. No fresh sign, but only the first day. We got a report from another contact that they had pushed elk off their hay that morning. We touched base with them and made arrangements to set up the next a.m. We got there early and set up. Still -26 and still snowing. Snow up to our nuts. No elk, only a couple of mulies came in. Toughed it out until the cold said otherwise and warmed up in the truck. Tried other spots but the roads were impossible. Decided to head back and wait out the storm.

On Tuesday morning we were stuck in the house as the wind had now arrived and the road was now drifted in. It covered 100' of the road and was 4' deep. The road was finally cleared around 2pm. We decided to go for a quick night bite although we didn't have much time. Tried to get to where we had received the elk sighting from the day before but that road was blocked by snow. We tried to get to the other place we had permission on but it was worse. I'm beginning to think we're in for a bad luck trip all round. We decided to try on the west side of our area. We got up that road about 3k before we were forced back. It was now 4:30 so only about an hour of light left. We parked on a hill where we had some decent sightlines and just sat. I was dozing when my son said "there's something out there." I had a look but saw nothing. Finally saw some movement and caught a quick glimpse of what I was sure was a mulie doe. My son decided to walk down the road for a better look. He got down around a 100 yds or so when he set up on the snowbank on the roadside. So there's no mistake we were on a gas lease road so no shooting restriction as in a Gazetted road. He waved me down so out I went. I'm halfway there when he shoots. He keeps waving me in. When I get there there's about 10-12 elk all bunched up. He says he missed his shot and now that they're bunched there's no shot. Finally one cow separates and is staring straight at us. He says go ahead so I take my shot. I'm sure I've hit her but she just trots a few steps and stops. The rest of the herd now run for cover and finally my elk tips over. We gather our gear and head out to get her. I have 900' of rope on a spool and we were 75 yds short. Gutted her and got her to the truck after quite a bit of grunting. Got her back and skinned her out. In the sack by 11:00.

We slept in on Wednesday as the pressure was off. The temperature had risen now to -6 but still windy as hell. We just poked around here and there until dinner and that was that. I suggested that we try up towards Charlie Lake on Thursday as my son has never seen this country before. We left DC at first light and off we went. Just before Taylor I remembered a place where we had been given permission before. I figured we'd drop in unannounced and see what that brought. This guy's driveway is exactly 1 mile off the highway. We were about 200 yds from it when on our right I saw something. Stopped and put the binos on it. A goddam horse and a Palomino of all things! Right colour but wrong species. My son then says there's something else there. Sure enough a herd of about 20 have just come out of the bush, have jumped the fence and are in an open field. We swing into the landowner's driveway and hope he's home. He is and when he opens his door I quickly tell him there's elk in the field across the road and ask him who's land it is. He says it's his but he hasn't seen any elk in weeks. He has a look and says go ahead shoot. My son crosses the road, crosses the fence and goes in. The elk run a bit and then stop. He loads, drops into the snow for a rest and takes his shot. He doesn't miss and by 9:30 we're done. By 11 our second elk is in the truck. We had a great time and got some solid new landowner contacts for the future.

I hope the videos play. They're an MP4 format so unless you download a player for that they will be choppy. Cheers.

I'm having trouble with the pics. Should have them soon.

hunter1947
01-24-2011, 04:04 AM
Thanks for the wright up you had a very nice trip ,congrats on getting this cow elk http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif..

fearnodeer
01-24-2011, 07:22 AM
Sounds like a trip to remember, thanks for sharing