PDA

View Full Version : Looking to start Predator hunting

nwalter
01-23-2011, 09:53 PM
Would like to just start with coyotes in around the Kelowna area. Does anyone know of some great places. I dont have many days off but would like to get out for at least part of one day

mark
01-23-2011, 10:04 PM
do you plan to road hunt or try calling them??? Ive found 2 coyote killed deer in the past 2 days!
Lots of yotes running around deer winter range right now. :evil:

nwalter
01-24-2011, 01:31 PM
I would like to try calling but there wouldnt be anything stopping me from popping one from the road if I saw one. Gonna go get some varmint ammo for my .243 as it is the smallest rifle i have

BiG Boar
01-24-2011, 01:39 PM
Maybe someone on here knows of some farms in the area where they would love the predator control. I have never thought there wern't good spots. Just pick an area, find some tracks so you know they exist and start calling.

urbanhermit
01-24-2011, 01:43 PM
when calling try avoiding windy days, keep and wind in your face, be absolutely ready before you even think of calling and expect them from any direction 1 second after you call. short call at first, wait obsrve for 3 minutes and call again a little longer and observe again. repeat Move on after 10-15 mins.

todbartell
01-24-2011, 01:49 PM
might want to wait a bit longer than 10 minutes, in some areas they can hear you from 2 miles away. Takes a while to come in, especially in deep snow. I usually sit 30 mins, 45 if I got "that feeling"

urbanhermit
01-24-2011, 01:55 PM
might want to wait a bit longer than 10 minutes, in some areas they can hear you from 2 miles away. Takes a while to come in, especially in deep snow. I usually sit 30 mins, 45 if I got "that feeling"
good point, we probably sit that long too, time flies when youre having fun.
If you drag your buddy out, arm him with the 12 ga ooBuck, they come close and more than one sometimes..:-D hard to find them in a 3x9 at 10 feet. hahahaha

ROEBUCK
01-24-2011, 01:57 PM

wise words

missed a opertunaty at a wolf due to packing up after 50 mins ,5 mins later a wolf was on the trail not 20 yards from were id been previously calling.
I was really pissed off !!

nwalter
01-24-2011, 08:41 PM
thanks for all the incite. Hopefully I can squeeze a day out of my days off for this

Good2bCanadian
01-24-2011, 09:19 PM
I saw a handwritten add at WholesaleSports, regarding problem animal control. Not sure if the fellow does this as a job/income, or uses the add to drum up some fun critter control.

g2bc

Elk-Aholic
01-25-2011, 10:58 PM
do you plan to road hunt or try calling them??? Ive found 2 coyote killed deer in the past 2 days!
Lots of yotes running around deer winter range right now. :evil:

Pack a gun and a hand call! You will have action if it's a fresh kill within 5-10 mins IMO.