PDA

View Full Version : quail hunting.

ROM
01-23-2011, 03:17 PM
Has anyone tried this? What do you use for ammo? Is there a call involved?

Thanks in advance

R

bcbrez
01-23-2011, 03:41 PM
I use a12 or 20 gauge with 7 1/2 shot. You need a dog though the little *******s like to stay in the roses and thick shit. They can be hard to find without a dog to retrieve them.

BillyBull
01-23-2011, 04:36 PM
Light loads (.410 is great) are the key to having some meat left. Dogs are very helpful... as quail and chukkars are small and hard to find in the sage brush, roses, vineyards.

Jagermeister
01-23-2011, 06:42 PM
I grew up in Penticton. We used to have the little blighters in the backyard and the orchard. They are definitely an urban ground bird and very hard to flush, will scatter when hard pressed and if you have patience, you will hear them calling to re-assemble the covey. They are hardly worth the effort unless they are really abundant in the area. Reason being, their breast is hardly bigger than a robin, so you have to have about a dozen to make it a worthwhile feed, for one person or two with the appetite of a bird. I think they are much more entertaining just watching them hurry about in single file from one area to another. 12 ga. is deginitely heavy-handed, so too would be a 16 ga. 20 ga. or .410 more appropiate. Dog would be an asset as the little buggers can vanish and expire in the most un-accessible places. Chukkars would be the better bird, they like the upland so hunting opportunities are more abundant.

Ronforca
01-23-2011, 07:50 PM
I get my Quail a different way.We have a couple of acres with some bush that is full of Quail.They keep flying into our windows.I go out ,pick them up,skin and gut them and throw them in the deep freeze.When we get a few we make Quail stew.They are very tasty in a stew.

lineofsight
01-23-2011, 09:00 PM
I get my Quail a different way.We have a couple of acres with some bush that is full of Quail.They keep flying into our windows.I go out ,pick them up,skin and gut them and throw them in the deep freeze.When we get a few we make Quail stew.They are very tasty in a stew.

What thickness glass do you use? tempered? UV protection? double or single pane? What do you use for cleaning the glass?

Only had them simmered in sauce, mmm succulent.

porcupine
01-23-2011, 11:47 PM
I use a 28 or 20 or 16 or 12, depending on when the opportunity presents itself. I like the 28 best if going only for quail and 7 1/2's or 8's work well.