PDA

View Full Version : rotweiler- lets hear it.

luckofthedraw
01-23-2011, 02:11 PM
I know the species is bagged on a lot due to media.

Who owns one? What's your opinion? Obviously not going to be a great pointer or retriever....what about a bush dog for hiking/camping? Good outside year round? How about as a family pet?

Ride Red
01-23-2011, 02:21 PM
My family has owned rotti's for 25 plus years. My kids have been around them since day one. Great family dog, love to swim and just be with you. Anybody or anything coming at you will find out how strong a rotti can be in short order.

RJ
01-23-2011, 02:53 PM
Great dogs, very strong willed, very dominant. They are great with people they meet in a friendly setting but mine is on high alert with strangers around my house. Loves kids but tends to play rough and can knock them over and trip them, without realizing he's getting a little carried away. I wouldn't leave him unsupervised with kids for that reason.

When Im out walking him at night, people will cross the street when they see me coming. Its kind of amusing but its an unfair stereotype. My dogs great in the bush, stays nice and close and is very strong as they are working dogs. I have 100% confidence that he would die fighting in front of me against whatever threat was present be it in the bush or at home.

http://i56.tinypic.com/25f21b6.jpg

BromBones
01-23-2011, 03:21 PM
My packdog is part rott, and I've been around quite a few that friends and family own. They are great dogs, strong, hard working, intelligent, and very loyal to the owner/family. RJ is corract about the dogs and young children - they're just a little too big and strong to play nice sometimes, evne though they don't intend to be rough.

Mine loves to be around people, but is cautious around strangers and usually wont let someone in the house or near me until I let him know it's okay. He's an excellent guard dog and has let me know of bears that came sniffing around my camps many times. He won't chase animals, just does his job as a guard dog and stays close. If you train the dog with all the basic commands and make sure he knows you are the boss, you'll end up with a heck of a good dog.

hutch
01-23-2011, 03:22 PM
will never have anythin different mine doesnt like to be out in the rain loves people and is ahttp://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v235/11/34/762660606/n762660606_2930531_8646.jpg big couch potato who loves to cuddle

britman101
01-23-2011, 05:20 PM
I have had some good experiences with Rottweilers and not so good experiences. Advice I would give is get to know the kennel or the breeder well. You want a dog that has good joints ( hip displaysia free - bloodlines) and of good sound temperament. Obedience training and exercise are key if you want to own a Rotti. If you are not willing to put in the work, I would say to get another breed.

Steeleco
01-23-2011, 05:40 PM
My 125lb Chiwowa, at least she thinks so!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/steeleco/My%20pictures/IMG_1698.jpg

She's a great family dog, we've had Rotties all our kids lives, they're very good around kids.

BCHunterTV
01-23-2011, 06:44 PM
great looking Rotti!

She's a great family dog, we've had Rotties all our kids lives, they're very good around kids.

JCVD
01-23-2011, 07:52 PM
My boy not even a year yet here. Awesome dogs. Dominant though, so you need to be able to be the alpha male. Stronger than they know so I echo the advice about kids.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs080.snc6/169008_10150386835320046_748105045_16849196_122692 5_n.jpg

rocksteady
01-23-2011, 08:10 PM
Have had 3 rotties...2 still alive and keeping the family safe....Put the 2 of them together and you get almost 300 lbs of black ugly......

They are an awesome breed, but just like any other breeds, there is no such thing as a bad dog, just bad owners/trainers......If you want a dog so you look cool with when you walk downtown to go hang with your homies..Forget it...Rotties need to be well taught/disciplined from the day you get them home.....Macho types who think the dog should be trained to be big and tough and allow bad habits end of sending the dog to the SPCA for adoption out, as these types (people, not dogs) realize that Brutus is a handful of OMG when he twists off (because of lack of training)...

They are a great family dog...

My 2 interact very nicely with all the humans, the 2 cats, the 2 ferrets (both deceased now) and our new rabitt.....

arcadia
01-23-2011, 08:15 PM
My buddy had one. Cool dog. Not smart. Fun and very friendly. Everyone loved him. Big suck. His wasn't dominant or very bright.

JCVD
01-23-2011, 08:41 PM
My buddy had one. Cool dog. Not smart. Fun and very friendly. Everyone loved him. Big suck. His wasn't dominant or very bright.

Never met a stupid Rottie yet. When they don't do what you want them to it is because they are dominant in a different way(think that they are the boss and do not respect you). Although having said that, "stupid" can appear in nature in every breed,sex and animal lol.

Ride Red
01-23-2011, 09:05 PM
Parvo is another thing to consider with Rotties. Here is a Rotti forum to give you some info.

http://www.rottweiler.net/forums/vets-corner/6532-questions-about-parvo.html

Steeleco
01-23-2011, 09:25 PM
great looking Rotti! Thanks

The advise about being the dominant member of the house is very sound. If Brandy thinks she can dominate you she will. It's a full time job, for sure.

If your shopping for a pup, you really need to do your homework. Loose jowls can make for a sloppy dog, makes for a messy house pet!! They are known to have dysplasia and there's some issue with their eyes but I'm not remembering exactly what that is.

Find a good breeder and try avoid the clown that breed "big tough dogs" for a few extra bucks.

RJ
01-23-2011, 09:34 PM
Steeleco I think it had something to do with the eyelid turning in.

BromBones
01-23-2011, 10:00 PM
They are known to have dysplasia and there's some issue with their eyes but I'm not remembering exactly what that is.

I've always wondered about hip/joint problems with certain breeds being prone to them. I think it's much more common in dogs that are confined to the house or a small yard and don't get much for exercise, rather than a breed specific thing.

Either way, a big working breed like a rottie needs to be worked, for basic health, and to dump some energy ( really helps with pups that like to chew ). Having a sled or quad works great to give the dog a good run if you're a slow jogger, like me:).

greenhorn
01-23-2011, 11:00 PM
This probably isn't a helpful answer to your question - but why a rotti? Sounds like you kinda want a great all around dog that can do anything. Why not a lab.

Here's a cute picture to sway you over to the lab side of the universe.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Micker.jpg

mike_b
01-23-2011, 11:47 PM
Had a rotti for 13 years. The best dog I've ever owned. In my opinion, none would be more loyal and protective. She was always great around my kid. I'd get another one in a heart-beat.

I definately agree that you've got to big the alpha and make sure your dog knows it. And, definately take some obedience training; it helps big time. And make sure that you buy one from a responsible breeder. I believe that the problems that some rottis have are because of breed, not whether they're inside or outside, so getting one from a breeder who you know used a good stud and bitch, will save you a lot of $$ and heartache.

I can't post a picture to save my life. Anyone wanna post a pic or two of my late rotti?

Mike

BiG Boar
01-24-2011, 12:07 AM
The Rottweiler, #9 smartest dog on our list, has a fearsome reputation that is largely undeserved.* The Rotti is only average in intensity, and make a great family dog.* Not only is the Rottweiler intelligent, but extremely courageous (one of the best guard dogs) and reliable.

luckofthedraw
01-24-2011, 12:58 AM
This probably isn't a helpful answer to your question - but why a rotti? Sounds like you kinda want a great all around dog that can do anything. Why not a lab.

Here's a cute picture to sway you over to the lab side of the universe.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Micker.jpg

I have had a lab in the past, they are great! I may get one again. We are taking our time deciding on what pup to get. Figured the Roti comments would be mostly negative and sway me towards a lab or something more family orientated. I am surprised the comments are in overwhelming support for the Roti....I think we have a tougher desicion then first thought.

JCVD
01-24-2011, 02:06 AM
I have had a lab in the past, they are great! I may get one again. We are taking our time deciding on what pup to get. Figured the Roti comments would be mostly negative and sway me towards a lab or something more family orientated. I am surprised the comments are in overwhelming support for the Roti....I think we have a tougher desicion then first thought.

Those who like labs over rotties have never owned one imo. They are both equally awesome for different reasons. If you want to hunt with it get a lab, although my rot has been a great tracker and an amazing retriever. Really smart he had all his tricks down within the first few weeks. Knows his left from his right and a myriad of english words and commands. Our obedience trainer told us point blank that he was a waste of money because the dog had learned from us so easily. One other thing they are not brittle. They are tanks and LOVE to wrestle,pull things(carts,sleds) and will play till they die lol.

tomahawk
01-24-2011, 07:36 AM
Know several that were big pussy's, loved attention and people who they knew. But i also know of one that knew a 7 yr old boy since being a pup and was 2-3 yrs old and turned on the boy while he was playing resulting in 80 stitches to the face and head.

urbanhermit
01-24-2011, 07:55 AM
Had a guy that speciallized in Rotties tell me that there is a big difference between the german bred and the north american bred rotties as far as the health issues and even personalities. he said buy from overseas if you can, not sure what to make of that,...might be BS.

greenhorn
01-24-2011, 09:35 AM

LOL, sounds like you have alot to think about. Personally, I don't have any experience with Rotts.

IMO, regardless of the breed, the dog you end up with is mainly dictated by the quality of the owner. I know scores of people who have bought dogs based on what the intraweb and breeders tell them about the breed disposition, energy level etc. These people are usually surprised that the dog actually needs training to bring out its good qualities. Take golden retrievers and labs - great reputation for being chill and relaxed and great house pets. But, for the first few years of their lives they can act like total psychos, and some of them don't grow any brains until they are 2yrs.

Another example is friends of ours who have a Burmese (sp?) Mtn. dog because they were assured that they are gentle and loyal and yadda, yadda. A year later - after they did a half effort on training - the puppy is absolutely mental and destructive and doesn't listen at all until you give him a whack. Now they tell everyone that Burmese take longer to grow up than labs cause they're a "large breed"

If I was you I'd be pretty confident that the dog I get will turn out pretty good. You're doing the research and willing to put in the work - IMO these are more important than what color your dog is. Best of luck!

Steeleco
01-24-2011, 09:45 AM

Glad we could help!!! One other thing to consider is SIZE, I've seen some big Labs, but a big Lab can still be much smaller than an avg Rotti.

Our pup had a father that was 155 lb and a mother that is 80 lb. Seeing as she was the smallest of the litter (and last one) I was thinking same size as mom, shows you what I know. Right in the middle.

But whatever breed you get, you'll need to ween them onto raw food, far healthier and cheaper. Mine takes care off all my scraps and a few other fine HBC members scraps too!!

Phil
01-24-2011, 09:56 AM
I have had rotties for the last 15 or so years too and have had three live with us at one time. They were very well trainned in obedience and could retrieve very well as well as swim. We have one left that has been the best companion that a guy could ask for. She has gaurded our home and protected our kids from harm on more than one occasion. She has a keen nose and good eyes and loves play tracking games. My experience has been that they are quiet until seriously provoked and very loving and loyal to their families.

BigfishCanada
01-24-2011, 10:20 AM
Well I had a lab, large one as a kid, loved it, i mean loved it,

Then had a german pure breed wrotti, and loved it, it was nuts, 10 kids would pull poke and bug my wrotti and i never worried him ever reacting to a kid. They were both awesome dogs and wrotti's are amazing family dogs, but a ton of work and people do look at the dog and you as trouble when in public

01-24-2011, 11:44 AM
Gotta say im the "Cross the street guy".
Why, I dont know. They do seem big and "Scary". I have zero experiance with them, except once in passing when a monster grumbled at my dog.

I have no reason to distrust them but i do. Why i am saying this is because there are alot of me out there, Un educated street crossers.
I have never had someone cross the street when i come up oon them with my lab. When i am camping or fishing and bump into people they dont get startled. When Chase barks at people who walk up on us they dont get scared.

Totally unfair I know. But I also hunt Birds, And am bias to true gun dogs.

Disclaimer: I do not hate any breed of dog, I am leary of a few but if able i will pet them all. Just not own them all.

greenhorn
01-24-2011, 12:19 PM
I cross the street mainly when I don't like the look of the owner, or when it's obvious that the owner doesn't have the ability to control their dog. I've crossed the street when walking my dog - usually when I see the guy that lives somewhere around me with 4 pitbulls. His dogs have never really done anything to make me suspicious, but the guy looks all wrong to me. I guess I get worried when I see the macho walk this guy does, gold chains, and I think I can even see a chip on his shoulder....

I totally understand where you're coming from though. I guess I see it from the otherside too. When we got our lab from the SPCA he was less than perfect. He would misbehave when he saw other dogs. People started to cross the street when they saw us. Over time, as his behaviour improved and people realized that I was working on him and correcting his behaviour, they were willing to help me out and trust that I wouldn't let things escalate.

On the other hand, there are some folks around that have crazy dogs that they are trying to train. If its obvious that they're ready to address anything that happens, I'll stay on their side of the street and if anything happens with their dog will help them out.

Gotta say im the "Cross the street guy".
Why, I dont know. They do seem big and "Scary". I have zero experiance with them, except once in passing when a monster grumbled at my dog.

I have no reason to distrust them but i do. Why i am saying this is because there are alot of me out there, Un educated street crossers.
I have never had someone cross the street when i come up oon them with my lab. When i am camping or fishing and bump into people they dont get startled. When Chase barks at people who walk up on us they dont get scared.

Totally unfair I know. But I also hunt Birds, And am bias to true gun dogs.

Disclaimer: I do not hate any breed of dog, I am leary of a few but if able i will pet them all. Just not own them all.

01-24-2011, 12:42 PM
When we got our lab from the SPCA he was less than perfect. He would misbehave when he saw other dogs. People started to cross the street when they saw us.

On the other hand, there are some folks around that have crazy dogs that they are trying to train. If its obvious that they're ready to address anything that happens, I'll stay on their side of the street and if anything happens with their dog will help them out.

I fully understand this side of the fence. Not all dogs are perfect.
And all dogs deserve a chance.

All I am saying in a really general sense that is unfair to the breed is. If you purchase a Rotweiler there will be people uneasy around you at the dog park or on your walk or at the river. And they would be 90% of the time unjustifyed. Way less people woul be uneasy around a lab.

Now in saying this, Thoes "People" I have had a few that thought my PB Feild lab was a pitbull by look. So they all are out there.

Get a Rotweiler if you want to, as i have said i dont disagree with owning them and i have no doubt they are great dogs. My point is only that there will be "Street crossers"

mcrae
01-24-2011, 12:55 PM
I fully understand this side of the fence. Not all dogs are perfect.
And all dogs deserve a chance.

All I am saying in a really general sense that is unfair to the breed is. If you purchase a Rotweiler there will be people uneasy around you at the dog park or on your walk or at the river. And they would be 90% of the time unjustifyed. Way less people woul be uneasy around a lab.

Now in saying this, Thoes "People" I have had a few that thought my PB Feild lab was a pitbull by look. So they all are out there.

Get a Rotweiler if you want to, as i have said i dont disagree with owning them and i have no doubt they are great dogs. My point is only that there will be "Street crossers"

I agree with you. This is an issue with an of the "bully" breeds. You just have to be aware of it and if you have a good dog and people are willing expose them to the breeds.

I grew up with Rotties and AmStaffs aka pitbulls so I have lots of experince with the "street crossers". It doesn't bother me anymore. I understand that people can be uneasy around my dog so I just keep her on a leash and controlled.

Just today I had a couple cross the road getting out of the way on my walk with "Charlie". We did a loop and and ran into them again so I stopped and had Charlie sit and they walked over and asked me about her.

"She is so pretty I can't beleive she is a pit bull" is what the lady said LOL... After a good petting we where on our way and two more people had a "positive" experince with a breed that gets a bad rap. While Charlie is not a Rottie its my experince Rotties get the same bad rap...

My dog loves people and is good with other dogs but because of the breed she is assumed to be "vicious" by other people its unfortuante but thats they way it goes. My Rottie growing up "Amber" was the same way but she had the same stigma attached to her.

One thing about Rotties and maybe its just the ones I have owned but damn they can clear a room with the farts:-D. The only dog worse was a bulldog we had:mrgreen:

mainland hunter
01-24-2011, 03:32 PM
I've been around Rotties and pits a fair bit, i'm with greenhorn, I base more caution on how the owner appears to me. A well socialized rotti or pit are great dogs and are awesome with people and kids, the key is lots of positive socialization. As far as the street crossers go, with my pit I kind of enjoy that part, not because my dog is tough it's the exact opposite, she's so not tough that I have to smile when people try to avoid her for what she is. Not that I blame them, there's been alot of misinformation about both breeds being mentioned so people are just being cautious. She's been a good ambassador for her breed and has changed alot of peoples minds. The Rottie's I've known have all been very friendly and are incredibly loyal dogs, I think there a great dog and a good choice, just introduce them to lots of kids, strangers and other dogs from a fairly early age and make sure the experiences are positive for the dog.

BCHunterTV
01-24-2011, 03:40 PM
my 11yr Rotti, we had to have him put down recently

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1144.snc4/148600_465773995068_606915068_6156969_1781142_n.jp g

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs564.ash2/148600_465774000068_606915068_6156970_4339912_n.jp g
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1144.snc4/148600_465773995068_606915068_6156969_1781142_n.jp ghttp://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1144.snc4/148600_465773995068_606915068_6156969_1781142_n.jp ghttp://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1144.snc4/148600_465773995068_606915068_6156969_1781142_n.jp g

01-24-2011, 03:52 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs564.ash2/148600_465774000068_606915068_6156970_4339912_n.jp g

Got to admit he dont look like a killer

oldschoolguy
01-24-2011, 04:14 PM
A dog is only as evil as it's raised to be

rocksteady
01-24-2011, 05:52 PM
A dog is only as evil as it's raised to be

A perfect quote.....

To me, one of the WORST breeds is the Jack Russel Terrier.....I have yet to meet one that is not A) Crazy Hyper B) A nipper/biter or C) a poorly obedient dog....

Only difference is if the JRT bites me I get a red welt on my body part, whereas a Rotti will rip that whole part off...

luckofthedraw
01-24-2011, 07:51 PM

Point well made....something to consider.

Thanks for all the input everyone, keep it coming if you have more. Much appreiciated.

weatherby_man
01-24-2011, 08:02 PM
I had a Rotti a long time ago. He was an awesome dog and I bought him to protect my wife while I traveled. My wife absolutely adored him and he was a great dog with an excellent temperament. Ours was awesome with kids. But you will have people cross to the other side of the road, friends and family members will feel uneasy around them. These are all things about having this dog or many other big dogs. Unfortunately ours died young. I would definitely have another in the right conditions. They are a "working" dog, and they need lots of exercise.

len173
02-02-2011, 03:42 PM
We had a male rotti, and a male yellow lab at the same time. They got along great, and were both wonderful dogs.

The rotti was less tolerant of strangers, and much more willing to voice his displeasure over things. If you kicked him out of bed he would moan and groan, and once or twice let a low growl go. He never made any threatening moves towards any family members, but I shutter to think what would happen if anyone stepped into his backyard, or the house without any of us around. He was very protective of the family. Once I was around 12 and playfighting with a friend with the window open. When I started screaming and yelling the dog jumped up and got inside up to his back legs, and he was PISSED. I had to grab him and push him back out.

He loved to be in the bush, but hated the water. He didn't even like to walk on bridges that had water beaneath.

Different personality than the lab, but still a great dog in his own way. He was killed in an accident and it was a great loss to our family. I would own another one in a heart beat.

bc cooker
02-02-2011, 04:01 PM

Absolutely gorgeous dog steelco. Always liked the rotties. I've got a heeler/rottie cross, stubborn as hell...partly my fault. Trained him to find sheds....and he's pretty good at it!!! Great hunting/fishing buddy. Cheap alarm...no one gets into my truck.:-D