PDA

View Full Version : Any GIS tech's out there? I am looking for trim data.

Wildman
06-27-2006, 12:50 PM
I am looking for trim data that I can use with ArcMap. Spacifically Roads, Streams, Contours and Waterbodies in shape file format if possible. Mapsheets 93F.039, 93F.040, 93G.031, 93G.032, 93B.092 and 93B.091

I want this data to build a map for my hunting trip this year.

J_T
06-27-2006, 01:03 PM
TRIM data is normally proprietary to the province. (Unfortunately the result of a poor Treasury Board submission some years ago.)

The Province presently operates a digital download service at http://lrdw.ca the type and amount of data you can obtain depends on your access level. If you don't have an account (access account) you enter as a "Guest" and there is some data. If you have a BCeID, you can access more data. TRIM contours are not available, but you can find roads trails, streams on the forestry stuff. It's a simple download system.

You go in, identify the area you want information on, select the download format, IE, Shape, Arc etc, you also dictate the projection and datum, IE UTM, Albers and then the system uses an FTP site for data transfer.

There are other sites as well. I'm not sure if http://maps.bcgov is available, but there is a lot of data there as well.

That's a start.

JT

ARC
06-27-2006, 01:05 PM
Hey,

Ya, I'm a GIS tech, but we don't have any TRIM data for that area. I'm not even sure where you can get that data. I get mine directly from the MOF or Oil and Gas company we are doing the work for. You can try setting up a guest account with the Land and Resource Data Warehouse on the bc government website, if you haven't already. They may have what you are looking for on there.

Wildman
06-27-2006, 01:09 PM
I am also a GIS tech..........I know all about the ILRR and LRDW. I do work for MOF and BCTS as well. I know the trim is property of the govt. I am unfortunatly based on the west coast and do not have access to the trim I need. I was hoping to get it off of someone who has it in their inventory.
The LRDW and ILRR are fine for viewing the areas but as far as making a map with what I want on it, or printing a map, they are not sufficient.
By the way, the LRDW and the ILRR site has contours but you need to zoom in to either 25,000 or 50,000 scale for them to load.

J_T
06-27-2006, 01:43 PM
Vadim, the LRDW has contours, but I don't think they are available in for download.

Knowing more about your skills now. I have used the Google earth and found it works best on large scale 36inch plots. I have laid the cadastre fabric on it to give an approximate replication of surveyed (private) land.

JT

Wildman
06-27-2006, 02:16 PM
Thanks JT. I have a program called Softmap. I have printed maps from that. The only thing with these maps is they are quite old. So there are not many roads on them. I will just trace them on I guess. The reason I wanted shape files is so that I could just make a map spacifcally suited to my needs, instead of a collage of 11X17 sheets patched together. I will use these maps if I have to, but as a last resort to the TRIM.
Thanks again.
I'm still looking for those map sheets anyone?