PDA

View Full Version : Raccoons!!

Kyle84
01-23-2011, 05:22 AM
My house has been under assault from there guys for over a month. I think the sockeye salmon skeletons in the garbage have something to do with it.
This is my front yard, in fleetwood surrey.
http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n620/procyon-/raccoon2.jpg

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n620/procyon-/raccoon1.jpg
http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n620/procyon-/rac6.jpg

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n620/procyon-/rac5.jpg

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n620/procyon-/rac3.jpg

hunter1947
01-23-2011, 06:28 AM
Pesky little rascals.

Pete
01-23-2011, 06:30 AM
Raccoons are mainly an urban animal. The #1 reason for raccoon mortality is starvation, especially in the juv. population. Right now they are on the hunt for anything that they can eat. There are people out there that actually feed them which in itself causes a huge problem. As in all animals including humans they/we need food, water and shelter and space. If one or more of the those 4 are missing the raccoons will move on. As you said the reason that they are there is because of the salmon remains. If you remove all the food sources and attractants they will move on. Be prepared for return visits, raccoons have very good memories. They will return occasionally to check to see if there is any thing there that they can eat dog food, bird seed, garbage etc. If they find nothing they will move on.

TyTy
01-23-2011, 08:40 AM
Last year I walked outside of my parents place in south surrey because of some commotion. There were 11 racoons running around the deck and yard.

The neighboor feeds them

I also had a red fox come and sniff a chocolate bar wraper i held out to it. I think someone was feeding this guy too.

bearhunter338-06
01-23-2011, 08:47 AM
Cayanne pepper works real good. We had coon problems when I lived in Coquitlam. spread Cayanne pepper around the yard and garbage cans. They never returned.

Crys Shorty
01-23-2011, 08:57 AM
You`re so lucky! We used to get those in Castlegar, moved up to Prince George and it`s too cold for them here or something rather. It`s fun taking dogs on `coon hunts`and you can make some cool little mounts out of those guys. You ever decide to start trapping them throw them in the freezer whole and let me know,.. I`ll come down in the spring and buy them off you!

Pete
01-23-2011, 10:40 AM
I`ll come down in the spring and buy them off you![/quote]

How many do you want?

OOBuck
01-23-2011, 10:44 AM
Poor bleach in your garbage cans & they won't bother anymore.

Or get a slingshot and shoot the dam things..:mrgreen:

blackford
01-23-2011, 10:51 AM
a 22 works awesome also

kidding or am i?? lol

bsa30-06
01-23-2011, 10:57 AM
My golden retreiver had one trapped up the tree in our backyard just the other night,took alot to convince her to leave it alone and come in the house.When i heard her barking like that i thought she cornered another skunk in the yard,she has done that 4 times and got sprayed all 4 times,we also have had a coyote walk up and down the street the last couple nights and he doesnt look the least bit afraid of anything.

Barracuda
01-23-2011, 11:01 AM
just chain a mountain lion in the front yard to keep the racoons aways, (It also works for other night crawlers):mrgreen:

good luck LOL!

OOBuck
01-23-2011, 11:06 AM
a 22 works awesome also

kidding or am i?? lol

Neighbors get a little pissy though!!!:mrgreen:

Crimson Viking
01-23-2011, 11:09 AM
welll . i hear if u pee around your yard it will keep them away. lol i also heard of a guty who peed in a super soaker for a couple of weeks , them let em have it with the squirt gun when it was full.

WARNING... may not be the most plesant experience for your nose, but if it works....

Kyle84
01-23-2011, 03:22 PM
I like your idea 00Buck, i'll pour a bit of bleach in there when i put salmon in the garbage. Cannot discharge any firearms where i live, would a pellet gun be enough to take them down? There are 4 on the fence right now.

rymac
01-23-2011, 03:53 PM
I had a racoon problem last year. Talked to a racoon expert. What came of it was to squirt them with water like a cat. Haven't seen them since

Big Lew
01-23-2011, 03:56 PM
I like your idea 00Buck, i'll pour a bit of bleach in there when i put salmon in the garbage. Cannot discharge any firearms where i live, would a pellet gun be enough to take them down? There are 4 on the fence right now.
Sure hope you are joking! Raccoons are very tough, even a very powerful pellet gun would most likely just wound them. Next thing you know, you'll be in the news and crucified if the wounded animal is traced back to you.

Kyle84
01-23-2011, 03:57 PM
I'll try water, why not? Hockey stick doesnt work well. Garden hose with a good jet stream might work.

Blair
01-23-2011, 04:08 PM
build a live trap and move them far away

Whonnock Boy
01-23-2011, 04:16 PM

I had a racoon problem last year. Talked to a racoon expert. What came of it was to squirt them with water like a cat. Haven't seen them since

My dad had problems with the neighbors cats coming into his yard. They had a large garden that attracted lots of birds. The cats would come and hunt the birds. His solution was this. He built a live trap. Whenever he would catch one he would soak it with the garden hose for a bit then let them go. It was quite effective. :twisted:

ea187
01-23-2011, 10:28 PM
a 9 iron works. i have had to do this before when they cornered my sisters dog. one swing and it was game over. also a PAL rated air .22 airgun won't have a problem taking them out with a headshot

sparkes3
01-23-2011, 10:58 PM
try having a coonhound tree a family of the little *******s in the back yard.
my neighbors hate my dog for howling at the *******s but they sure love him when he lets the two legged vermin know he is watching

bandit
01-23-2011, 11:39 PM

There is an archaic rule that you cant move them more than 400 metres. Our neighborurs had the pest controllers trap the family that lives next door. They moved them several times... and funnily enough they came back every time!

leadpillproductions
01-24-2011, 12:32 AM
trap them then use a bat lol they were trying to get my shop cat when i lived down there.

Phil
01-24-2011, 10:26 AM
Keep your dogs away from them. More than one house pet has cornered a coon and come out seriously injured or dead. They are very dangerous little SOBs that know how to fight. One way or another, get rid of them.

NaStY
01-25-2011, 08:52 PM
Keep your dogs away from them. More than one house pet has cornered a coon and come out seriously injured or dead. They are very dangerous little SOBs that know how to fight. One way or another, get rid of them.

Just ask lip_ripper00 (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?u=240) he will know what to do.......

01-25-2011, 09:22 PM
a PAL rated air .22 airgun won't have a problem taking them out with a headshot
this will work, and a lung shot will work as well. however probably not the best idea with close neighbors, as they may run a bit before they flop. try treeing them with or without a dog. hit them with the flash light, then unload on them with paintballs. you won't see any yellow red and green painted coons anymore. plus it is more satisfying than pouring bleach in your trash and hoping it works.

good luck.

hunter1947
01-26-2011, 03:34 AM
If me I would remove all garbage so they can't eat it anymore they will soon relize that there is no food for them and move on..

Build a box container with a lid on it so the pests can't get at the stored garbage thats my opinion.

Walksalot
01-26-2011, 07:43 AM
Live trap them and relocate them to Heaven.

bforce750
01-26-2011, 09:43 AM
a 22 works awesome also

kidding or am i?? lol

Buy some QB's and no one will know:twisted:

warnniklz
01-26-2011, 12:02 PM
Wikipedia has a solution to raccoons

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_CB

Lucky77_
01-26-2011, 08:48 PM
ive had secess with cb shorts

GrandA
01-26-2011, 11:13 PM
I had one attack our cat - I shot it with a pellet gun, it didnt do much.

Phil
01-26-2011, 11:18 PM

you hit hit the raccoon.........I mean nail right on the head! That is exactly what I had to do.

hunter1947
01-27-2011, 02:50 AM
Raccoons are one strong animal I have caught them in a 330 conibear trap and they are still alive when I smacked them in the head with the setters a few times the animal was still alive ,there one strong animal for sure...

Old Crow
01-27-2011, 03:13 AM
Cannot discharge any firearms where i live......

You live in Surrey? And you think someone would notice gunshots? LOL
:D

crazybushcreature
01-28-2011, 12:04 AM
Use a bow.

Blk Arrow
01-28-2011, 07:43 AM
According to one expert (read fellow from work) a live trap, a garbage bag and a hose to your exhaust works extremely well in urban areas.

Apparently this works better than the 110 volt trap. 1 wire to a metal garbage can and the other wire to a metal grid just outside the base. The guy that tried this in his townhouse complex woke up in a cold sweat to mournful howling. The lights were coming on all over the complex at 2:00am. He killed the switch and when he went out in the morning he had s*** all up the front of his van.

bubba 250
01-28-2011, 10:07 AM
I used to have 6 getting in my garbage every night.Took cross bow out a few nights.Now I see one now and then.But he is pretty spooky.I wounder why?

91Jason91
01-26-2012, 05:27 AM
Lol, Its 4am and I live in delta went out to put the trash out..... opened the side door of my house my dog takes off out the door snarling after 3 racoons and trees them right outside my house garbage everywhere. I was so tempted to go inside my house get my bow and dust those little guys cause there was shit everywhere I only have 1 arrow right now tho so they are super lucky

5 spike
01-26-2012, 05:57 AM
I had a cat and coon problem and the odd bear not no more i got a bluetick lol. She even works on the crows.

bowhunterbruce
01-26-2012, 06:15 AM
a bow and a few arrows and your set.
nuff said
bhb

Fishhound
01-26-2012, 09:11 AM

Best idea I read

muleychaser
01-26-2012, 09:26 AM
:-DPaintball gun:-D:-D:-D:-D

endtimerwithabow
01-26-2012, 02:52 PM
http://www.google.ca/url?url=http://...X4DBJFCXce3orw (http://www.google.ca/url?url=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D__sK3zUs4Qc&rct=j&sa=X&ei=aGcgT_G7GM7YiALG6_zfDg&sqi=2&ved=0CDIQuAIwAA&q=drozd+blackbird&usg=AFQjCNEGZjqut1yKl_ggX4DBJFCXce3orw)

91Jason91
01-26-2012, 03:38 PM
:-DPaintball gun:-D:-D:-D:-D

I dont wanna hurt them I wanna kill them hahaha

finngun
01-26-2012, 06:55 PM
Paintball gun.-----.why dont you shoot them pink first.......that is first and last warning....before real action..

-SEAN
01-31-2012, 10:46 AM
I used to have problems with them aswell, to the point where they would make a hole threw my garbage can to get fish scraps. Now i just freeze all the salmon scraps untill garbage day and take them out the same day.

Shooter
01-31-2012, 11:13 AM
I had a cat and coon problem and the odd bear not no more i got a bluetick lol. She even works on the crows.

Your old cat WAS a problem..lol That thing was a prick...hahaha

lovemywinchester
01-31-2012, 11:24 AM
Watch your back around a coon, they can be vicious.
http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l573/zippogold/badcoon.jpg

buck nash
01-31-2012, 11:25 AM
lol I think I know exactly where you live. I drive through that neighbourhood all the time and I've seen coons goin up that tree in the middle of the day. Not a whole lot of pine trees like that in your neighbourhood.

Hang some mothballs from the lid of your garbage cans and around your house and the tree that they hang out in. Most animals can't stand the smell of mothballs and it may drive them away. I have been successful driving them off by hitting them with marbles shot through a sling-shot. You could also fasten a 16" band of brown sheet metal around the base of your trees to keep them from climbing them.

fowlweather
01-31-2012, 01:32 PM
shoot them with a bow, nothing illegal with it too

Gumsehwah
01-31-2012, 02:17 PM
Two words:

BOW HUNT. ;-P

Careful though. . . those furry guys are like the Viet Cong when in the farmyard.

Gumsehwah
01-31-2012, 02:20 PM
:-DPaintball gun :-D

THAT was a VERY COOL idea. :-D

buck nash
01-31-2012, 03:14 PM
shoot them with a bow, nothing illegal with it too

Could be wrong but I'm pretty sure there is a by-law in surrey that forbids discharge of a bow or gun.

250 sav
01-31-2012, 04:32 PM
Frozen paintballs ?

buck nash
02-01-2012, 06:44 PM
I haven't actually been able to find such a bylaw but it doesn't matter cause there's also the rule about hunting within a 100 yards of a dwelling. In that neighbourhood there is for sure gonna be a house within that distance.

walks with deer
02-11-2012, 12:24 PM
salmon steaks on a 4\0 gomagotsu

alexboyprin
02-12-2012, 02:19 AM
...nice pics. they are very cute. i am a hunter but i find myself not really to want to kill them. too cute!

naswell
07-17-2012, 06:58 PM
Dude i got a Live trap ( got ahold of my Grandfathers Hill Billy Buddy :-P ) They are $60 - $80 at Canadian Tire. they seam to Love Pizza ! the first raccoon i got with dog food with hot water. you have to Zap - Strap a Plastic tub to the end of the trap, iv watched them pull shit under the floor trigger and they munch out. I have a bow and i guess i am a terrible shot. out of about 75 trys i got one in the gut bag. but its alot easyer to put ur trash in the cans, put plywood on top, and a few BIG rocks. they wont move it. like i read on here they will " Move On " but to the Trap with lots of yummy bait :) !! hehehe i just call up my buddy with a .22 and we pop him in the mucky shit in the yard. Discharging firearms is one thing. but taking that raccoon to the Ocean and Dunking him in till the shore comes in hahahaha i felt like a jerk, so .22 solves it all !!!

olympia
07-18-2012, 02:37 AM
you gotta live trap them and then force them to watch the multicultural channel on sunday morning and they wont be back, they will think dancing people jump out of the bushes everywhere so it will make them skittish

bcbrez
07-18-2012, 07:13 AM
The paintball gun works great. Had about a half a dozen pink raccoons running around the block after I got through with them.

Paulyman
07-18-2012, 08:32 AM
I pepper sprayed them this past week, they don't like that.

anglo-saxon
07-18-2012, 08:44 AM
The skunk trap I "acquired" in Alberta to trap the feral cats on my property worked like a charm for 'coons here. My re-location program was a success. Set trap, throw chicken skin in the back, retrieve pissed-off 'coon in the a.m., drop him off several miles away on the way to work. Job done!

I also got a couple of those garbage cans with the built-in bungees to hold the lid on securely.

Black bear have been the bigger problem in the neighbourhood of late. I think I need a bigger trap!! :shock:

anglo-saxon
07-18-2012, 08:52 AM
The paintball gun works great. Had about a half a dozen pink raccoons running around the block after I got through with them.

Outstanding!

I was seriously thinking of doing the same for my neighbour's dog. They sit in the house while it barks its stupid face off outside. Whacking it with a couple of painballs would at least be satisfying even if it didn't shut it the hell up. Failing that, I think I'll just feed it half a pound of laxative chocolate and let them deal with that instead!!

Stone Sheep Steve
07-18-2012, 09:07 AM
Failing that, I think I'll just feed it half a pound of laxative chocolate and let them deal with that instead!!

I love that idea!! Ear plugs and my head stufed between 2 pillows doesn't seem to work. Bugger is at least 100 yds away too.
Only problem is that they won't let the dog in the house once he butt squirts all over.

Maybe an urban bowhunt???

SSS

anglo-saxon
07-18-2012, 09:24 AM
I'm thinking applying a champaigne cork up it's rear end before slipping it the laxative would do the trick. They've gotta let it in the house some time!!

421fighter
07-18-2012, 10:18 AM
Noisy dog next door? Next time it rains, throw some oxo cubes over the fence. The rain disolves them, but the dog digs up the yard looking for the smell. Owners finally get rid of the dog for destroying the yard. Just don't get caught! Stuff some small dead fish with 292. The stuff stops the blood from clotting, and they bleed internally. Just keep your cat indoors for awhile.

bcbrez
07-18-2012, 11:04 AM
Pet Safe or Pet Smart has an anti bark ultra sonic bird house that works great.

olympia
07-18-2012, 12:45 PM
thats pretty messed...encouraging someone to poison a dog, dont ever let me catch you messing with mine

BernDawg
07-18-2012, 02:42 PM
+1 for the ultra sonics, I recommended those to a friend last year and he said they worked great.

olympia
07-18-2012, 05:03 PM
the ultra sonics work for a bit and then the dog gets used to it, having a chat with the dogs owner works wonders and if that dont work than maybe give bylaws a call

Paulyman
07-18-2012, 07:07 PM
Hopefully your's doesn't bark like the one mentioned. I have a barking dog problem next door to me and trust me I've thought about poisining their dog plenty of times, I'm not sure why when someone else decides to get a dog that should become anyone else's problem. If you have a dog that is a problem barker you shouldn't expect that the entire neighbourhood should accept it, I for one hate the sounds of a barking dog.
thats pretty messed...encouraging someone to poison a dog, dont ever let me catch you messing with mine

Surrey Boy
07-19-2012, 08:14 AM

Sounds like a challenge.

bcbrez
07-19-2012, 08:38 AM

x2. That's just uncalled for. You would think the people on this site would have more respect for animals.

.330 Dakota
07-19-2012, 08:48 AM
Put your salmon in a neighbors can...lol oooo thats nasty

Spokerider
07-19-2012, 09:08 AM
Have a family of raccoons denning in a tree near to my house. They use this den tree year after year. My dogs tree them at least once a week in one of the plum trees. Nothing like the bawl hounds to break the 0430 stillness!........but you prolly have to be a hound guy to appreciate the music, lol. These guys keep my dogs appetite for treeing coons well piqued. It's a great relationship. The coons get to forage the plums, and my dogs get to sing.

skuntor
07-19-2012, 09:16 AM
So bad at my place I have to tie the dog up in the front of the garage if I want to leave the door open to work in there. They will come in when I run upstairs. Neighbour has kicked one, I have given and couple 9 iron whacks. Saw a family of 6 of them last night showing no fear of people. Pest control keeps saying to make sure there is no garbage left out. Too many shift workers in the hood though and many put their garbage out before they go to work and they get ransacked.

bcbrez
07-19-2012, 10:13 AM
I had three of them coming running through my living room chasing after my cat. Hit one with a can of Coke, then went at them with a broom. Hunted seven of them through the neibourhood with the paintball gun the rest of the night.

Surrey Boy
07-20-2012, 04:20 PM
x2. That's just uncalled for. You would think the people on this site would have more respect for animals.

Shooting something for fun really shows respect.

What's the bag limit on gophers? Crows? Schedule B and C animals?

Surrey Boy
07-20-2012, 04:21 PM
I had three of them coming running through my living room chasing after my cat. Hit one with a can of Coke, then went at them with a broom. Hunted seven of them through the neibourhood with the paintball gun the rest of the night.

You're welcome to spend a weekend at my place anytime. I'll provide the beer.