PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly "Ultimate High"

Whonnock Boy
01-22-2011, 10:46 PM
Reading the threads by Kody94 and HuntingAddict got me to thinking about the grizzly my father in-law shot some 40 years ago. He has some old photos, and some of the discussions of the HA record thread pertain to this particular hunt. The spring grizzly LEH is due pretty quick as well. I thought some of you might enjoy the story.

Last night we talked about it on the phone. I asked if I could post the picture and his recount of the story about the bear. He gave me his permission as long as both his, and his friends name were omitted. I understood and I respected that. He has always been quiet about his hunting and accomplishments regarding it. To this day he does not have one trophy in his house or shed. :( He has shot moose, elk, mulies, white tails, sheep, goats, wolves and grizzly. Big ones too! I remembered the basics of the hunt but not the details. We talked for some time. It has always been easy for us to talk shop.

His long time friend who had the trapping license on the the Dean River at the time had heard some stories of a large grizzly that was rumoured to be up the Dean Channel circulating around Bella Coola. His tracks had been seen but never the actual bear. He told my father in-law about it. Dad said "lets go try and find that bear". The following spring the hunt was planned.

He arrived in Bella Coola with a aluminum boat tied to the roof of his International Scout truck. They loaded up with fuel and set out on the trip. Along the way they dropped barrels of fuel to lighten the load. At first they did not go directly up the Dean Channel, instead opting to go up another inlet. They had seen some bears but passed on them. They left the area and carried on. Supplies were needed before they could continue so Dad was dropped off on the point while his friend went back to town to replenish fuel for the boat and themselves.

They arrived at the Kimsquit River and began the hunt. Not long in they came upon a snow slide. It was relatively new they thought being that there was a mangled mess of broken timber scattered about. A sow was spotted almost emmediatley. His partner asked if he wanted the bear. Dad passed and subsequently his friend shot the bear. As soon as it was down he sprinted past the downed bear up the one side of the slide. His thoughts were that a boar might be trailing not far behind.

He crested the slide and sure enough down the far side of the slide a boar was following. From what he suspects the dynamics of the slide blocked the sounds of the shots fired. He waited until the grizzly was close. I asked him how close. He laughed a little and said "pretty close". "Like 50 yards?" His reply, "maybe". I could see the smile on his face in my mind as he spoke on the other end of the phone.

Let me give you some insight on Dad. These are my thoughts. Hunting grizz for him at that time was his narcotic. His "Ultimate High". He has never touched a drug or drank a drop in his life, purposefully anyways. 15 years ago or so he had mistakenly drank one of Moms cooler drinks. After he had drank it he started to feel funny. He thought that maybe the "juice" had gone bad. He had no idea what he was drinking. That night when Mom was cleaning out his lunch bag, two and two were put together. That story is still told on occasion with laughs a plenty. His "Ultimate High" was achieved many times.

As the boar closed in the time had come to squeeze the trigger. His 358 Norma Magnum barked. On impact the bear slumped down, regained his footing and began his retreat but not before another 250 grain hunk of lead entered his massive body. He tried for another shot but it was not needed. The grizz was down. Thankfully he thought. "Those coastal forests are thick. Tracking them in there is not fun."

He tells me that the bear sqared over 9 feet. He had rubbed his head almost bare because of the pain caused from his rotting teeth. He says bears will do this to try and numb the pain. It is the biggest bear that he has ever shot although one or two came close.

Some might ask what it scored. He never did know for sure, and honestly never did care. He gave the skull to his cousin. In return he would be taken on a sheep hunt. He never did get his end of the deal. He was told what was done with it. He asked me not to say what he was told, because he simply cannot verify those claims. I will leave it at that.

Dad is in his 70's now. His nephew has his card entered for the Spring LEH. They will hunt together. His nephew is where he was at 40 years ago. Looking for that "Ultimate High". He will go because he enjoys the hiking, the scenery, and being involved in the hunt. The first grizz he had ever shot was by himself. "In my opinion, hunting grizzly by yourself is the most exciting hunt this country has to offer. In the same breath I do not recommend anyone to go hunting grizzly on their own. I was young at the time and wanted the ultimate high and got it."

Dad will be sending some more pictures of other hunts later. I will add them to the thread when I get them. I have tried to add the photos so they show in the thread but I cannot figure it out. If someone could do it for me that would be great. I will get it eventually. BTW, I have read the threads about posting photos. Cheers!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/401.JPG
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/203.JPG

CanuckShooter
01-22-2011, 10:48 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/401.JPG

CanuckShooter
01-22-2011, 10:50 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/203.JPG

CanuckShooter
01-22-2011, 10:51 PM
Looks like a couple of buddies catching some rays....:mrgreen:

Whonnock Boy
01-22-2011, 10:51 PM
Thanks CS!!

Whonnock Boy
01-22-2011, 11:16 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/601.JPG

Nephew getting the bug early.

Whonnock Boy
01-22-2011, 11:17 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/502.JPG

Bralorne brute.

olharley guy
01-22-2011, 11:19 PM
Howdy, great story and an awesome bear, thanks. Later

todbartell
01-22-2011, 11:21 PM
great story, thanks for posting

Gateholio
01-22-2011, 11:31 PM
Awesome story, and I agree with grizz hunting being the ultimate high. Maybe lion hunting would top it, but not sure.:-D

Your dad sounds like a remarkable man, and I can tell you are proud of him. A bonus for both of you.:-D

bigneily
01-22-2011, 11:52 PM
Excellent story with classic old photo's very nice..

Krico
01-23-2011, 12:01 AM
That picture on the front lawn is a true classic - awesome!!!

BiG Boar
01-23-2011, 12:11 AM
Those coastal bears are the most magnificant animal out there. What a great story, and what a great hunt, hasn't changed that much yet. Hopefully the grandson will get his too.

ROEBUCK
01-23-2011, 01:25 AM
excellant read and great pictures
thanks for sharing.

swampthing
01-23-2011, 08:01 AM
Great story. I did a solo grizz hunt last spring and it was a rush. Knowing that its all you against our greatest predator brings it to another level.

Ride Red
01-23-2011, 08:11 AM
Cool post, nice photos. Sounds like some of my dads stories. Hes 80 now and forgets lots of things, but those stories are clear as a bell.

srupp
01-23-2011, 08:52 AM
SWEEEEEET photos, THANKS for the story and photo...

As for toothache..hmmmm seen far too many coastal bears that have rubbed in exactly the same way,, with exellent teeth,, just a typical coastal bear rub, same as wiping sweat away from your forehead...dontsee many interior bears rubbed that spot or way , some but the BIG bears of the coast this IS a pretty normal rub.

GREAT BEAR!

CHEERS
sTEVEN:mrgreen:

6 K
01-23-2011, 10:02 AM
I too have hunted grizz on my own. Sucsess or failure rests entirely on your shoulders.
Thanks for shareing a great read.

Brew
01-23-2011, 10:39 AM
Thanks for sharing. Your dad sure looks young in that picture. He ages pretty well for 70. Great story. I like old hunting stories.

MountainHigh
01-25-2011, 04:19 PM
That is impressive!!

BlacktailStalker
01-25-2011, 04:34 PM
Very nice, they just dont get any better than that.
I sure enjoy seeing those pics and reading the stories of "back then."

I've fished the Dean for summer run steelhead and northern coho on the fly, often between bears on the river and always the same ones day after day. There was a dead subadult who appeared to have been killed by a boar (our guess)
It was unnerving walking the Kimsquit and looking back, stupid, as its so log choked, thick and populated at that time of year.

BCbillies
01-25-2011, 06:10 PM
Thanks for taking us back . . . the memories and camaraderie are a big part of hunting.

Something about grizz hunting that produces that "ultimate high" and leaves you wanting more!

blackbart
01-25-2011, 11:41 PM
Great post, thank-you for bringing back memories from Kimsquit. During the years that I worked in that drainage there was no Grizzly hunting opportunity. My shotgun was aimed at several bears that would go book during that time though - positive thing is that no shots were ever fired. Not too many other places on the coast (other than the Nekite River) that I ever felt the need to carry a weapon while working.

On a side note the Moose at the back end of the drainage used to be fairly abundent, there was no season for them either.

One of my last coastal jobs was developing a deactivation prescripition for the mainline (close to 60kms if memory stands correct), camp and airstrip. Would love to go back one day and see how things look now.

Also have some crazy stories about G bears in the bunkhouse greating loggers heading to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

BB

hunter1947
01-26-2011, 03:19 AM
Them photos are great the bear is one big boar thanks for posting up the story and pictures maybe I might get lucky this year and get a draw.

shallowH2O
01-28-2011, 11:54 PM
Great post, thank-you for bringing back memories from Kimsquit. During the years that I worked in that drainage there was no Grizzly hunting opportunity. My shotgun was aimed at several bears that would go book during that time though - positive thing is that no shots were ever fired. Not too many other places on the coast (other than the Nekite River) that I ever felt the need to carry a weapon while working.

On a side note the Moose at the back end of the drainage used to be fairly abundent, there was no season for them either.

One of my last coastal jobs was developing a deactivation prescripition for the mainline (close to 60kms if memory stands correct), camp and airstrip. Would love to go back one day and see how things look now.

Also have some crazy stories about G bears in the bunkhouse greating loggers heading to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

BB
was there not a sign on the main hall road reading "blown at 9" and a funny story that went along with it!!

Will
01-29-2011, 01:17 AM
Some Great moments for sure ! Thanks for sharing.