PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions - Custom pack project

greenhorn
01-22-2011, 09:23 PM
Yo HBC:

Looking for suggestions on a winter project.

Been working on a new external frame system to replace my old internal frame pack that I was never really happy with.

I ended up taking a light aluminum frame from an external pack and modifying it to include a hauling shelf. The hauling shelf can be unbolted and swung out of the way or completely removed. For the harness system, an internal frame harness system was adapted and fixed to the external frame resulting in a very comfortable and secure fit that is adjustable.

For a strap system on the frame: Heavy-duty webbing and clasps have been installed on a lightweight polymer backboard. The webbing and clasps are designed to be used to hold a rifle in place, tent bag and quarters etc. The bags for the frame are fixed in place with webbing and heavy-duty clasps.

Below are some pics of the project - I'm looking for suggestions on improvements or added features that all the Pros on this site like about their packs......

The pack all put together.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/pack1.jpg

Harness system.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/harness1.jpg

View of shelf, polymer board, webbing and clasps - rifle in place.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/deckandwebbing.jpg

Bradana
01-22-2011, 09:43 PM
Great ingenuity - nice to see your project put together.
In the last picture it looks like the barrel hangs down below the legs - looks like it is the lowest point of contact? With my pack (Tatonka) I set it down on the ground all the time, stand it up against trees, you know the dill. If the barrel is the lowest point that wouldn't be perfect - even if you're taping the barrel etc.
Then again, might just be the perspective in the photo.
Thanks for sharing the project.

Gateholio
01-22-2011, 09:50 PM
Very cool, great effort! But I agree about the barrel. If you slip and fall on your ass coming down something step, you might have some problems!:-D

Not to mention dropping a heavy loaded pack off your shoulders when arriving at a destination might be challenging.:-D

huntcoop
01-22-2011, 10:00 PM
Looks very good, what does it weight?

wildcatter
01-22-2011, 10:32 PM
I would prefer the rifle on the side with the butt down in a pocket and the rest strapped to the frame or pack.
Othewise looks good.

greenhorn
01-22-2011, 10:34 PM
The rifle barrel dangles down to about the same level as the legs on the frame. You guys make a good point though - if I bail or set the pack on some uneven ground then the muzzle may get smacked.

Maybe a little sling or something that catches the muzzle and makes sure it's 2" or so above the legs of the frame. Or maybe an aluminum or plastic guard to protect the the muzzle.

Haven't weighed the entire thing, but my guess is that the frame/harness is about 3-4lbs. Probably heavier than most. But, I think if you bought a frame and added the doodads that I have you'd probably end up about the same.

greenhorn
01-22-2011, 10:37 PM
I would prefer the rifle on the side with the butt down in a pocket and the rest strapped to the frame or pack.
Othewise looks good.

Almost did that, but talked myself into mounting the rifle in-board. My thoughts were that if I fell or was walking through thick timber, the rifle would take less of a beating if it was nestled onto the frame and under some stuff.

wildcatter
01-22-2011, 11:32 PM
Yeah I guess you have a good point, but I still would put it on the side and be as careful as possible.
Also it looks to me would be easier to access from the side if you have to get to it in a hurry.

Almost did that, but talked myself into mounting the rifle in-board. My thoughts were that if I fell or was walking through thick timber, the rifle would take less of a beating if it was nestled onto the frame and under some stuff.

Mtn Wonderer
01-22-2011, 11:49 PM
Looks like you've done a good job.

You might want to get some lighter webbing, weighs less. What your using appears to be climbing weight.
You can get real good stuff from outdoor innovations there on main st in vancouver. They sell everything including goretex camo. You might want to make yourself up a camo rain cover for when your hunting then take it off when you want to be seen. on the way out.

Also you may think of making a gun bearer like the one Kifaru is putting out pretty simple and keeps the gun handy.

I ve been using my home made pack for over eight years now it works very well.

MTW

greenhorn
01-23-2011, 12:06 AM
Do you have any photos of your pack with the gunbearer?

I checked out the Kifaru site, it looks like a neat idea. I could use the sling for when I'm hunting and walking. Then, when the 120" blacktail deer is on my pack and I'm walking out, I could put the rifle on the frame as shown in my pics.

Looks like you've done a good job.

You might want to get some lighter webbing, weighs less. What your using appears to be climbing weight.
You can get real good stuff from outdoor innovations there on main st in vancouver. They sell everything including goretex camo. You might want to make yourself up a camo rain cover for when your hunting then take it off when you want to be seen. on the way out.

Also you may think of making a gun bearer like the one Kifaru is putting out pretty simple and keeps the gun handy.

I ve been using my home made pack for over eight years now it works very well.

MTW

wildprotien
01-23-2011, 12:15 AM
I think your next try will be better.
Without repeating what others already said Im concerned also about you getting that gun out in a hurry.
Once you swing the pack over you might find once its loaded the scope will bind up with the pressure from the compression straps and you won't be able to get it out when needed.
There may also be unwanted pressure applied to the scope when you tighten down your heavy pack.
The webbing you used is for sure over kill, looks like the dog lead strength HD nylon. so no worries about it breaking.
However its only as strong as it weakest link which could be your buckles and duckbill tension locks.
You may already know the following info but I will explain so others reading it can learn.
If you are going where it is really cold you should try not to use plastic type products like buckles etc that are made from nylon.
Nylon absorbs moisture so they can break in cold weather. Try to find products made from acetal .
They look the same but acetal is better for cold weather.
Nice looking rig.

greenhorn
01-23-2011, 12:29 AM
Good point about the nylon... I hadn't thought about extreme cold breakage. The white material on the packboard is delrin (acetal), but I think the buckles are nylon as you suspect.

I made a conscious choice to go with the heavy webbing. I've had alot of packs that had the standard pack webbing. They were always fraying and snapping on me....

I think your next try will be better.
Without repeating what others already said Im concerned also about you getting that gun out in a hurry.
Once you swing the pack over you might find once its loaded the scope will bind up with the pressure from the compression straps and you won't be able to get it out when needed.
There may also be unwanted pressure applied to the scope when you tighten down your heavy pack.
The webbing you used is for sure over kill, looks like the dog lead strength HD nylon. so no worries about it breaking.
However its only as strong as it weakest link which could be your buckles and duckbill tension locks.
You may already know the following info but I will explain so others reading it can learn.
If you are going where it is really cold you should try not to use plastic type products like buckles etc that are made from nylon.
Nylon absorbs moisture so they can break in cold weather. Try to find products made from acetal .
They look the same but acetal is better for cold weather.
Nice looking rig.

swampthing
01-23-2011, 08:45 AM
I have nothing to add about how you build it but good on ya for making a custom, just for you pack. Mabee I do have something to add. Eberlestock sells a rifle sleave that might help your design.

Buck
01-23-2011, 09:20 AM
X2 on the Eberlestock rifle sleeve and Kifaru gunbearer.I would make sure the rifle can be brought to hand easily with the Gunbearer and stored with the rifle sleeve .

mark
01-23-2011, 09:40 AM
X 3 on the kifaru gun bearer!
Takes a little getting used to, but gun is drawn in a split second, also transfers the weight of yer gun to the front of your body, as opposed to all on the back!

greenhorn
01-23-2011, 09:01 PM
I have enough webbing left over to make a pretty skookum kifaru style gun bearer, so I'll give that a whirl. When I'm hiking, I usually just hold the rifle in my hands but it gets annoying after a while and sometimes it would be nice to have both hands free.

I was also thinking about putting a camelback bladder between the harness system and frame. Anybody done this on their pack? Thought it might be a little more handy than a water bottle....

scouterjames
02-03-2011, 06:27 PM
We use hooks sewed to the shoulder straps to carry the rifle. I prefer it in my hands but it's nice to have it carried for you every now and again.

greenhorn
02-04-2011, 09:26 AM
We use hooks sewed to the shoulder straps to carry the rifle. I prefer it in my hands but it's nice to have it carried for you every now and again.

Is that you in the avatar? If so, you look pretty pleased with your rifle holder.

For packing long distances - I think I'll keep the rifle slung to the pack like shown in the pics. But, I may make a little sleeve for the rifle so that the scope is protected. It's nice to have the rifle weight centred on your back as opposed to the side of the frame. I tried mounting it to the side of the frame but the pack just felt really imbalanced.

For hunting with the pack on - I'll probably make up a gun bearer similar to some of the ideas that were shared. I'll post some pics when I get-er done.

scouterjames
02-08-2011, 12:54 AM
That is me, with my trusty .303 I would also use a pack also for longer carries but it's nice to have it out of your hands yet easily accessible.