PDA

View Full Version : Moose Hunt Pink Mountain

HUNTERTREV
01-22-2011, 10:05 AM
Im thinking of heading up to the peace region 7b aug 15 for moose, maybe pink mountain area, does anyone know the best zone or area to go to? ive never been up there before so i dont know the best place to go for moose that early in the season, also elk, thin horn sheep and cariboo are open in some regions up there and would also be an option for the hunt. any ideas on where to go or info on the area would be helpfull, thanks

CanuckShooter
01-22-2011, 10:49 AM
Fuel can be expensive up there. You don't always see caribou around Pink Mountain. You a moose hunter or just looking for a spot where more is open??? Early season hunting can also pose problems are you prepared to deal with them???

elkdom
01-22-2011, 11:22 AM
30+ years hunting moose, elk ,sheep, Gbear, in 757,758,742,748,749,750,744,743,sometimes spending several weeeks to a couple of months, time permitting in those zones,

1, be prepared for anything, bad weather, muddy impassable roads, hot weather 35+Celsius,(meat handling issues)
2 first timers, just getting familiar with a few good moose ares is a learning experience,
3 things change over night, you can have the best mineral lick spotted and planned to hunt, the next day there can be a 100 men and machines setting up a drilling rig dead center of the lick, you will have to adapt and find alternate area to hunt,
4 for newbies? the best plan is get as much possible info. maps, google and check here for "pink mountain threads"
5 moose are relatively easy, just walk, quad cut lines, fresh logged off clear cuts, early morning (4am) to dark (10;30pm) pay special attention to water ponds and water scoop outs on the Oil&Gas roads, MOOSE MAGNETS!:wink:

during your first couple moose hunt trips there, learn more about the area!

elkdom
01-22-2011, 11:57 AM
30+ years hunting moose, elk ,sheep, Gbear, in 757,758,742,748,749,750,744,743,sometimes spending several weeeks to a couple of months, time permitting in those zones,

1, be prepared for anything, bad weather, muddy impassable roads, hot weather 35+Celsius,(meat handling issues)
2 first timers, just getting familiar with a few good moose ares is a learning experience,
3 things change over night, you can have the best mineral lick spotted and planned to hunt, the next day there can be a 100 men and machines setting up a drilling rig dead center of the lick, you will have to adapt and find alternate area to hunt,
4 for newbies? the best plan is get as much possible info. maps, google and check here for "pink mountain threads"
5 moose are relatively easy, just walk, quad cut lines, fresh logged off clear cuts, early morning (4am) to dark (10;30pm) pay special attention to water ponds and water scoop outs on the Oil&Gas roads, MOOSE MAGNETS!:wink:

during your first couple moose hunt trips there, learn more about the area!

just thought I would also add I have camped up there Aug 15 and on Aug18 and 20th had over 18 inches of wet heavy snow crush our tents, break thousands of trees making cut lines impossible to quad along, turn roads to slushy mushy mud(if you haven't enjoyed Peace Country Mud ?) your in for a BIG surprise!:confused:

M.Dean
01-22-2011, 12:30 PM
Up there it's either too hot, or too cold. An if it's just right, the bugs are going to suck every drop of blood from your veins! The mud can be so thick on the roads it's hard to keep a Quad in 4 wheel drive on them, then, when it drys out, the dust can be 10 inches deep! You could try the 120 Road, the 135, the 171, Tommy Lakes, Buck'in Horse or dam near any where you want to pull over and hunt! Early season you'll need to take the meat to a cooler, late season you'll need lots of Whiskey! A couple good Quads are nice, with Winches, lots of fuel etc. One thing I was going to do but haven't been back since was take a small gas Jet pump, we were Camped at the Beaton River one year, and the Quads, us and our Moose and everything else we owned was so covered in mud I though it would be dam handy to be able to wash the gear off every few days! We had to undress out side the Trailer and scrape the mud off our Clothes it was thick! I think it was fun at the time!

luckynuts
01-22-2011, 04:41 PM
Carry chains that fit your tires for your truck and trailers! a winch ain't gonna help you when your in a ditch all loaded up. Pack a portable cooler, a deep freezer and genie will do in a pinch even if it's just cooling off the quarters during the day and hanging them back up at night. Bug spray lots of it. Anywhere north of Fort St John either side off the hiway is good but knowing a spot is better. Pick one species to hunt forget about sheep and caribou if your really after a moose. Google earth is a good place to start and then you can start asking questions about a particular area.

Good Luck

W.

BCBear
01-22-2011, 04:55 PM
Carry chains that fit your tires for your truck and trailers! a winch ain't gonna help you when your in a ditch all loaded up. Pack a portable cooler, a deep freezer and genie will do in a pinch even if it's just cooling off the quarters during the day and hanging them back up at night. Bug spray lots of it. Anywhere north of Fort St John either side off the hiway is good but knowing a spot is better. Pick one species to hunt forget about sheep and caribou if your really after a moose. Google earth is a good place to start and then you can start asking questions about a particular area.

Good Luck

W.

i agree, and some of those gas line roads are grease when wet so get out and see what that road is all about before driving on it, also be sure to check the weather before you get in too far or you may be seriously screwed

pnbrock
01-22-2011, 04:59 PM
you can keep that early season crap,i dont need meat bad enough to deal with the insects!!!!

moosinaround
01-22-2011, 05:01 PM
These fellows are not exaggerating about it up there. The dust turns to mud with just a little rain. Tire chains are a must. A cooler is a good idea, I like the freezer and generator idea too! Be prepared to get the meat out! It would be a shame to lose an animal because you are not prepared for the size of the animal or the temperature. There are some excellent past threads on this subject, do a search and read on. Ask me any questions via PM if you would like. Moosin

BigBear.338
01-22-2011, 06:12 PM
i hunt moose exclusively up fort nelson and north.nelson forks area great for every thing check the gallery for pics of the moose i've shot out of that area.if you want to know more ,sent me a message ,i can help you on getting in to the right area.

Mtn Man
01-22-2011, 07:22 PM
another point to mention is all of those creeks up there are mountain fed,they maybe passable when going in or even dried up but if it rains hard and it can, they can swell up so that you ain't getting back across , its nice to camp close to the riverbed but keep that in mind as well before you set up camp.

Rock Doctor
01-22-2011, 07:47 PM
:confused:
I've been here for almost 40yrs, and not only have I never had a set of tire chains, I've never needed them. I have seen the deep, wet, heavy snow a few times, but it's normally gone by the next day, or melted enough that you can get anywhere you want with your quad, and in all my travels, I've only gotten stuck on the wrong side of a flooded creek once. The "cooler/freezer" option is a good idea as is the "Case if Bugspray:-D".
The nice thing about the snotty, slippery mud is that it dries up in a day or two with a little sunshine. It is very sticky in some places, and the "Jet Pump" is a hell of an idea (Get the mud off the machines while it's wet:wink:).

RD

CanuckShooter
01-22-2011, 09:13 PM
Buy a Thermacell for the bugs...and lots of pads & gas cylinders...have a rifle and know how to use it [don't leave it in the truck, or leaned up against a tree], you are heading into grizzly country..lots of bears and they like bloody meat!!! Make sure you have a good chainsaw, two would be better, sometimes when it snows hard up there the alders will topple over and you'll have to chainsaw the road open to get out!!! If your real 'city' learn how to watch your mouth and be respectful towards natives...they breed a different type of man up there and if you step over the line you will likely get a lickin'....

elkdom
01-22-2011, 09:19 PM
Buy a Thermacell for the bugs...and lots of pads & gas cylinders...have a rifle and know how to use it [don't leave it in the truck, or leaned up against a tree], you are heading into grizzly country..lots of bears and they like bloody meat!!! Make sure you have a good chainsaw, two would be better, sometimes when it snows hard up there the alders will topple over and you'll have to chainsaw the road open to get out!!! If your real 'city' learn how to watch your mouth and be respectful towards natives...they breed a different type of man up there and if you step over the line you will likely get a lickin'....

usually the " different type man breedin" up THERE ,,,,dont start till you "hear banjo's playin" ,,,:eek:

luckynuts
01-23-2011, 02:27 PM
:confused:
I've been here for almost 40yrs, and not only have I never had a set of tire chains, I've never needed them. I have seen the deep, wet, heavy snow a few times, but it's normally gone by the next day, or melted enough that you can get anywhere you want with your quad, and in all my travels, I've only gotten stuck on the wrong side of a flooded creek once. The "cooler/freezer" option is a good idea as is the "Case if Bugspray:-D".
The nice thing about the snotty, slippery mud is that it dries up in a day or two with a little sunshine. It is very sticky in some places, and the "Jet Pump" is a hell of an idea (Get the mud off the machines while it's wet:wink:).

RD

Well I don't need them either as I can pick and choose the days I go out but when you drive 14-16 hours from down south you can't pick the days to go out. hunting the right side of the hiway in towards the mountains has for sure better roads and not the greasy loon shit the left side has after a good rain fall:wink:.

W.

M.Dean
01-23-2011, 03:55 PM
Some guys just camp at the Pink Mnt Campsite, it's at the store, and do day trips from there. It's a bit of driving each day, but if you don't want the hassle of being bite by Bears or Wall tents etc, take a Camper or trailer and park there. There's also a Camp ground at the Sikanni Chief River. I think both places have Meat Coolers, but check to make sure. You can drive up the Hyway to the 171 Rd, or to the Bucking Horse River, both good area's, or drive South, pick any main gravel road, read the Regs and off you go! There's no Quad restrictions on the East side of the Hyway, but some on the West side, so again, read the Regs. Take a Quad if you can, you can get to a lot more area's riding and there real nice to pack out a moose! Also, if you ask around up there, most people will tell you were your best chances of getting a moose are, 90% of the people are great, it's just that 10% you have to worry about! I've had the odd run in with some of the Boys from up there! The moose are there, you just have to find them, if you do decide on a spot, maybe post it and if someone can help you out, they may! Good Luck, wish I was going!:grin:

moosinaround
01-23-2011, 08:28 PM
I used to work up there doing silviculture from August till end of September. We could always count on heading home for a week due to shitty roads from rain and snow. Not because we couldn't run on them, but because it was very hard on rigging running on them when they were shitty. Make a mistake and your fun hunting trip turns into an expensive cluster F#$K!!!! Just be aware that the conditions can change in the blink of an eye, and be prepared for whatever mother nature throws at ya!! I would hunt on the west side of the highway myself, you get into the rockies/foothills and it is very scenic. Good luck up there, everyone should get to experience the Northern Peace country!! I go up every year myself, more for elk, and deer than moose, but always for the beautiful country!! Moosin

HUNTERTREV
01-24-2011, 04:46 PM
thanx everyone for the input... looks like i have a lot of planning to do....

northernhunter
01-24-2011, 05:42 PM
North of fort nelson can be good early, but expect pressure early up here also. Got mine opening last year, but i work in the bush year round up here so makes it easy. You will have pressure until after the rut is over, then everyone magically dissapears. Seen only 2 other hunters north of town where we go after the rut..

bobboa
01-24-2011, 06:20 PM
I went up there this past August for the first time ever hunting and the weather does change at the drop of a hat. First day was plus twenty five and so we went to scout out another area and while we were gone it poured rain and the roads turned to gumbo. And then the hail started... looked like an inch of snow on the ground.

I have never seen mud like that! Sure made the trip memorable!

M.Dean
01-25-2011, 02:36 PM
Takes lots of drinking water! We drank the water up there on our first trip, that was a real bad mistake! The Rest Area bathrooms are way to far apart I found out well driving home! We'd seen lots of Wild Horses on a couple of our trips up there also, not sure if there's any of them left, but they were kind of neat to see! Hell, I want to start pack'in my gear up now for one more Trip! I've cleaned and re cleaned all my camping stuff so many times this winter the frying pans gleam like Chrome on a Bumper, and there Cast Iron!!!

Rock Doctor
01-25-2011, 03:12 PM
Takes lots of drinking water! We drank the water up there on our first trip, that was a real bad mistake! The Rest Area bathrooms are way to far apart I found out well driving home! We'd seen lots of Wild Horses on a couple of our trips up there also, not sure if there's any of them left, but they were kind of neat to see! Hell, I want to start pack'in my gear up now for one more Trip! I've cleaned and re cleaned all my camping stuff so many times this winter the frying pans gleam like Chrome on a Bumper, and there Cast Iron!!!

LOL, It must be what you're used to, I would probably get the "trots" if I drank the water around your place but it doesn't bother me here:wink:.
There are still LOTS of wild horses around, but they are more common in the Tuchodi, Gato, type areas. Not bad in a pinch, taste a little like Elk:mrgreen:.
Get that stuff packed up, you never know if/when you might need to "Bug Out" for some reason:shock:

RD

backpack for sheep
03-27-2011, 06:52 AM
i work on the 135 rd and 126 rd the moose hunting is good the weather can make it difficult if it rains but its very nice country

buckshot
03-27-2011, 04:43 PM
I've gone there a few times. Just love it up there! One time I shot this really big bull and a grizzly claimed half of it while I watched (sitting on my quad with the engine running a hundred yards down the road). The scarriest episode though was a couple three years ago driving the gumbo road as we're heading home.

moose2
03-27-2011, 10:52 PM
Camping close to the hi way is a good idea could save you a couple hours getting out if the weather turns. Also following roads that one tons with big tires have traveled in the mud is not a good idea in a half ton. I learned this the hard way many years ago. I spent most of my first season operating a bumper jack ( take one , as well as ropes , chains , shovel , winches and a chain saw ) its usually busy enough to get help ,but not always. As far as a stock half ton they are too low and the front and rear ends hang up going through the ruts often leaving all 4 tires off the ground. If you want to see mud with a closer drive try Chetwynd, ,Dawson , Moberly or Hudson's Hope. ( lots of hunters some moose)
Mike