PDA

View Full Version : Guide/Wrangler 'Training'

BromBones
01-21-2011, 07:31 PM
Making this post in response to a couple co-workers of mine who are interested in finding some work this year as a wrangler or guide - guys who've hunted lots but never guided. I said I'd post some info on here for them, figured there's probably some interest from other members as well.

I'll add a few links and leave it at that, and anyone who's interested can dig through it on their own to find out specifics.

http://bcoutfitterclinic.com/
http://www.bigcountryguides.com/guideschool.html
http://ceit.nwcc.bc.ca/Courses/descriptions.cfm?crsCode=CE018 (scroll to the bottom - not much info there, but it's done by Reg Collingwood in Smithers)
http://guideschool.blogspot.com/
http://www.chilcotinholidays.com/training_centres.php

If anyone's got any experience or comments on these programs I listed, or have any others to add, feel free.

Cheers

Gateholio
01-22-2011, 04:35 AM
Stan at Blue Creek (BC outfitter) knows more about horse packing than anyone else i know...:-D

Alpine Addict
01-22-2011, 09:26 AM
I took the chilcotin holidays guide training. Good course, but in my opinion I would skip it and just get a job wrangling. The outfitter or guide will show you everything about packing horses, caping, ect and you get paid for it

boxhitch
01-22-2011, 10:06 AM
If the courses are structured properly, they should have content regarding all the possible duties of a wrangler/guide, most pertaining to horse care and use.
Some outfits have varying degrees of involvement in certain aspects, so the on-the-job training may not be complete.
Any experience with horses before starting a job would be appreciated by all the crew. And said rookie wouldn't look like a dolt either.

bruin
01-22-2011, 10:25 AM
Collingwoods also still run a school I think. What I've heard from outfitters is that these schools don't get a tonne of respect. You won't get a higher wage and they'd rather train you themselves.

BiG Boar
01-22-2011, 10:35 AM
I did the blue creek packing course this year with my wife. Stan does an excellent job and is able to teach you how to wrangle. Pack horses present lots of challenges and it's worth taking the course. Had a blast there. Then I went for 2 weeks into the mountains on our own.

Sangstercraft
01-25-2011, 12:42 AM
I did the Blue Creek course in June this year, and learned a ton. He wrote a book which has all the stuff he teaches and more, and you get it with the course. It's a good reference. He's a great guy, too. Ask him about his sasquatch stories!

BigBoar - did you head off into the mountains around mcbride to hunt, or just to explore?

Tikatack
01-25-2011, 11:42 AM
Stan is the man. He is very experienced, knowledgable, and a patient and easy going guy. A few weeks with his horses will give you a good education on wrangling... with a few rodeos thrown in for good measure.

beni
01-25-2011, 12:09 PM
I was looking into some of the courses offered in BC a few weeks back. I think it would be a lot of fun. I have considered finding work for an outfitter in the fall, just to get out and learn more =).

hellojello74
01-25-2011, 12:38 PM
I think the courses are good (having never taken one) but it is still possible to get a job in the industry. I got one the summer after my first year of University. I had sent a resume out to a bunch of places and finally got hired on. Actually had 3 options to choose from in the end. I started with one year of wrangling then 3 years of guiding till I got a full time job.
I started my first year as a wrangler, which I think is what should be expected where ever you go. It’s a good way to learn the horse aspect which really is the majority in my opinion. Learning how to pack, move camps, ect. I tried to pay really close attention and pick things up as best I could. Having barely any horse experience I rode with a friend for a total of 6 hrs. I had grown up in a hunting family but hadn’t done much myself. After the first year they know your work ethic and what you have learned and you have a chance to grow. My second year I was able to start guiding half way through, mind you there were other wranglers that had been there for 3 years and had no idea how to work with horses yet, there would be no way that they would move up till they learned that first
I think one thing to think about in trying to get a job is trying to learn as much as you can beforehand like the courses. But the most important thing is being willing to learn and an open attitude, with good work ethic. We had a few people work for us that did the guide course and they didn’t know much but sure acted like they did and no one wanted to work with them.
Also it is important to get on with a good outfitter; there is a large difference depending on who you work for. Some are great others are a gong show. There are some that have been in the business for a long time and really run a good outfit, they know a lot and are willing to spend time teaching you, but like most jobs if you burn them and leave right away or something chances are you won’t be welcomed back.

Anyways there is my little rant, its not as hard as some people make it out to be.
If anyone wants more info feel free to ask
Jw

safarichris
01-25-2011, 04:07 PM
Yes , I have to admit there is no better training the a ''hands on experience''. I would highly recommend that if a young guy is considering this, to choose wisely a top notch Outfitter to work for. Go for the best, you will learn something from him. and you will learn how to do it RIGHT. I have seen Outfitters over the years, who i wouldn't even hire as a wrangler. I wouldn't let them lead my horse to water. The class outfitters from the past 50 years are rapidly passing on. They could teach a person more in one season than many of the current ones could teach you in a lifetime. I have experiences over the years Outfitters who i absolutely wondered how they got their license. They should have gone to school and learned how to do it right themselves. Outfitters in the past were very passionate about wildlife, management, care for their horses, and making sure laws were respected and upheld. If you broke even one regulation back then while working for them, you were out on the next plane and would NEVER find a job in that area again. I had so much respect for the old timers who carved a living out of the wilderness and it was a real privilege to work for them.

hellojello74
01-25-2011, 04:12 PM
very well said!

There are those outfits who have been in a particular family for generations those generally have good reputations, others trade hands so frequently....

frenchbar
01-25-2011, 04:37 PM
I would research any outfit i was going to get any training. 'the good or the bad' i know theres one on that list i wouldnt go near with a 10 ft pole .