PDA

View Full Version : Cougar Hunting

HUNTERTREV
01-21-2011, 06:49 PM
Does anyone go cougar hunting anywhere around the fraser valley/lower mainland area? Just wondering if anyone has dogs and does daytrip hunts and guiding from around here. im interested in going cougar hunting but lack the time and money for a 4 or 5 day hunt in the interior. most guided hunts on line want 5-7 thousand for a guided cougar hunt, thats too much for me. any ideas or info would be great, thanks.

cavebear
01-21-2011, 06:59 PM
do a search. This issue is a very hot topic with many legallities. You should find several threads that outline the legallities.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
01-21-2011, 08:08 PM
Call a or go right in to a C.O . office and ask them what the deal is when you ask to go cougar hunting with someone ! so you know EXCATLY what the deal is if you offer the man Gas Money or bring a few bags of dog food ..as i understand it . .NO CASH REWARDS ..

SHAKER
01-22-2011, 12:46 AM
It's always nice for the offer I won't accept dog food, gas, pictures of your sister'in law with her friend at that beach in mexico or coffee in the morning. If we're going hunting then lets do it! nothing else even thinks of happening...period.

Maybe I'm over sensitive about it but I've been threw my fair share of problems in the past. Still don't know why you have to explain when you hunt with a friend for a cat? or maybe I do!:twisted: Should I say it....... Nah I'll leave it for tonight.

chilcotin hillbilly
01-22-2011, 07:07 AM
Thats right Derek, I hunt the same way when taking out friends. I can guide them if I want on the area I guide in but choose to go elsewhere and except no money. The way I look at it is there is a good chance I would be out training dogs anyway so the company is nice. Now if only they knew how to skin a cat.

adamgarbett
01-22-2011, 09:19 AM
SHAKER

I live in 8-8 and would love to experiance a real cat hunt and get a chance to see first hand,hounds doing at they love to do best. This past october i was up in the rockeys hunting and was yards/seconds from being cat food. Long story short i did the right thing and called the co's as i did not have a tag, and lost my cougar. if you EVER want some company i would love to tag along just send me a PM. Thanx

adam

HUNTERTREV
01-22-2011, 09:25 AM
so i guess if i want to go cougar hunting i gota spent the big bux and go with a real outfitter eh

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
01-22-2011, 10:22 AM
has anyone on here who owns dogs and cat hunts ask a C.O. right out what the deal when takeing friends or anyone along for the ride on a cat hunt ? i mean thats what there for.. iv called then up a few times and asked lots of questions. they would rather you do that than just go ahead on it . then you know for sure what is ok and not ok .

digger dogger
01-22-2011, 10:46 AM
Steve moore used to guide (not sure if he still does)
before I bought my own dogs my hunting partner and I were looking into a guided hunt with him years ago. it was 4 g's each. Then I talked my hunting partner into buying hounds. A few hundred bags of dog food later, here I sit apologizing to him every once in a while. lol

keep this in mind, if you go my route.
Vet bills, dog fights, lost dogs for days, puppies, worm meds, neighbors, barking, tracking systems, beating the crap outta your vehicles, there is lots more but one of my favs to do is clean crap! jk Thats why I had kids. :-)

Spokerider
01-23-2011, 09:19 AM
Yep, owning hounds, training them and hunting them is NOT a hobby, it becomes your way of life. They are not just a tool that you take out and use occasionally and then put away when the day is over........ Like digger says, it`s a full time, costly responsibility.

Barracuda
01-23-2011, 09:57 AM
should i get some popcorn? :mrgreen:

What you posted is raising redflags everywhere i am sure.

look up who the guide is for the area you wish to hunt and contact them . If your only goal is to get a cougar a guided hunt by a lisenced guide is cheaper .

Probably the only way you would ever be considered to to tag along(which means you wont be shooting anything) would be if you had a friendship with someone that had hounds and a desire to be involved in the hound hunting world.

It isnt cheap it isnt easy and it isnt for everyone.