View Full Version : Spring Black Bear

Wullfen
01-21-2011, 01:47 AM
I am looking for some advice on where a good spot to hunt spring black bear might be, I have been hunting for a long time but have never gotten around to spring bear. A few fall bears though, love the hams!
I live in Cloverdale, and am looking for spots not too far from home, weekend trip places. And I would never want to know secret spots:), just looking for a place to start! Any help would be apreciated!

hunter1947
01-21-2011, 03:17 AM
Get back into the back roads in may looks to be around the best time for black bear for spring.

pound the slashes and glass you will find bears.

bc_buckshot
01-21-2011, 08:00 AM
Best place to find some bears is the cloverdale zoo right on I think 264th. I even saw a brown bear.But shhhh don't tell anyone that's my hot spot

Ruger4
01-21-2011, 08:29 AM
Chehalis lake , Harrison Lake areas

Squamish and a little north if you know the area is great for black bears

Ruger4
01-21-2011, 08:36 AM
get a map book READ......

does a map book tell you where bears are :confused:

why not help the guy out :confused:

Steeleco
01-21-2011, 08:39 AM
If you do a few drives up the Coq and take anyone of a number of turn offs after the Coq lakes area, you should be off to a good start. Harrison/Chealis holds plenty of animals but it's thick, steep and tough to hunt. Not suggesting it's a bad area, just a higher challenge if that's what you seek.

Welcome and good luck.

bc_buckshot
01-21-2011, 10:50 AM
Okay I will help the guy. Try going on east harisson road and take all the little roads on your right and try the slash.I have seen bears in there. Try to walk in the to the slash you will have a better chance

srupp
01-21-2011, 11:17 AM
hmmm if a road trip is order..Likely... up towards Cunningham pass..ie Maeford lake

or Horsefly lake or Quesnel lake..Lemon Lake , Horsefly mountain...

all hold INCREDIBLE AMOUNTS of black bears..

cheers
Steven:mrgreen:

Steeleco
01-21-2011, 11:18 AM
Anywhere east facing the has the snow melt and the grass grow the soonest is a good place to start also.

bearhunter338-06
01-21-2011, 11:27 AM
You can take the 2 hour drive up to the Merrit area, lots of places around there. Get one of the Back Roads map book for the area you wish to hunt. I would try up the Sunset Main area off the conector as well. Keep an eye out also for the logging trucks. I have been stopped by a few of the guys driving the trucks and asked if I was bear hunting, and told where they have seen bear. Good luck.
Burke

01-21-2011, 12:01 PM
Take a 3 dayer and come to the island! Jump the Horseshoe bay to Nanaimo And out through Port Alberni to Ucluelet. Bout 3 Hours from the ferry in Nanaimo.

weatherby_man
01-21-2011, 12:53 PM
Okay I will help the guy. Try going on east harisson road and take all the little roads on your right and try the slash.I have seen bears in there. Try to walk in the to the slash you will have a better chance

Dont forget the road on the left, its up a ways, but saw a couple in there last spring and a TON of sign. The road is often closed/gated but park just before the bridge and hike in. Fresh cuts in there.

vortex hunter
01-21-2011, 12:57 PM
does a map book tell you where bears are :confused:

why not help the guy out :confused:

When I was new NO one cared to help me... never said I would not help just throwing around the local form humor .......you ask a question on here people tell yea to read.....Thanks

tierodrl
01-21-2011, 01:21 PM
take the #1 to lynton and go up the mountain on the left thats were i found my bear only 2 1/2 hours

NitwiT
01-21-2011, 01:24 PM
When I was new NO one cared to help me... never said I would not help just throwing around the local form humor .......you ask a question on here people tell yea to read.....Thanks

You seem a little sore that seemingly no one helped you, if this is so, then why not fix a trend you don't like by being different and offering advice?

If you jump on a bandwagon, nothing changes.

I'm going to head to princeton in the spring, although visiting the island is hitting a nerve inside, somehow, that island life makes me feel at home..

Mark

01-21-2011, 01:32 PM
Ya ever want to come to the island for bears Nitwit pm me. I wont be a nitwit about it!

Steeleco
01-21-2011, 01:36 PM
If not sooner I'm coming for an island bear the week of my 50th birthday in just over 2 years. So don't shoot all the big one's K LOL

Ruger4
01-21-2011, 01:57 PM
I hope to get back to the island this spring myself , been a while for me , the last bear harvesting for myself was up in Zeballos but the last time in there man was it thick !! Looking to get another with my bow :mrgreen: hopefully.........

Wullfen
01-22-2011, 01:43 AM
Thanks for the help.
The Zoo is in Aldergrove.

bearhunter338-06
01-22-2011, 03:23 AM
Thanks for the help.
The Zoo is in Aldergrove.

Stay away from my honey hole

aliagha
01-22-2011, 03:25 AM
all of the places mentioned here are great for bears.
also, try Pemberton, i was out there 2 seasons ago in spring, saw 2 black bear, took 1. it can be manage into a day's trip. good luck

vortex hunter
01-22-2011, 03:41 AM
You seem a little sore that seemingly no one helped you, if this is so, then why not fix a trend you don't like by being different and offering advice?

If you jump on a bandwagon, nothing changes.

I'm going to head to princeton in the spring, although visiting the island is hitting a nerve inside, somehow, that island life makes me feel at home..

Mark

NAH just being sarcastic touchy ........lol well harrison is GREAT :mrgreen:

hunter1947
01-22-2011, 04:39 AM
This is a tip of the hat from me to you members that helped this HBC member out some good advice for this hunter :wink:..

Wullfen
01-22-2011, 04:49 PM
Lot's of great suggestions, looking forward to sitting down with the GPS and mapbooks and planning my next adventure. Thanks!