PDA

View Full Version : Homemade fishing tackle

knighthunter
01-19-2011, 08:05 PM
Does anyone make their own? I used to make all my own jigs including painting them. I made hundreds of round heads in a variety of weights and more than a few standup jigs. I also made my own floating lindy rigs with worm harnesses. I tried making wooden minnow swim baits but I could never get them to swim straight. I also made a special rig for ice-fishing for huge pike (20 lbs and up). With these I used bait that was up to 14 inches long.

M.Dean
01-19-2011, 08:24 PM
I got into making Jigs last year, I use the powder paint and a small Toaster Oven to cure them, lots of fun and a great hobby! I bought some Molds and my Son bought me a real nice Lead Melting Pot, then got into making Canon Ball weights, from 1 ounce to 4 1/2 ounce. If you used a Bouncing Betty last fall for Sockeye on the Frazier, good chance it was mine. I make 1/4 inch pencil weights, sturgeon weights, 2 lb Down Rigger balls, and a few others. It's a hobby that pay's for it self!

IronNoggin
01-20-2011, 05:03 PM
I airbrush nearly all the plugs I use out on the chuck. Custom painted to represent either herring or pilchards, depending on what is most prevalent at the time. KILLERS! I have yet to find anything commercially produced that can match them! :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Nog

01-20-2011, 05:06 PM
I tie a couple hundred flies a year :)

Buck TraX
01-20-2011, 05:43 PM
Just bought some 5/8 low density grey foam for dink floats ,havent gotten the plastic tubing for the line to go thru yet maybe tommorow
im goona taper the top to avoid that annoying splashing while i retrieve against the current.last time i bought some they were like 2 bucks a piece,and i bought 20 feet of foam for 4 bucks at crappytire that will make 40 six inch floats!!!should last me a while:mrgreen:

Buck TraX
01-20-2011, 05:47 PM
Also made a few rod stands for the lower fraser barfishing scene which gets no pressure and is productive for the few who put in the effort hint hint

Chuck
01-20-2011, 06:03 PM
I've been tying flies for myself since about the time Elvis Presley was the rage. However I've always bought my spinning lures and plugs. I really miss some of the good plugs we once had that are no longer available - like the "Lucky Louie" for example.
I still pour my own jig heads and make some spinners and stuff, but other than small weights, I'm not into deep sea paraphenalia.
Just today I got a new 2011 "Netcraft" catalogue. Here's the link for any of you who are interested. www.JannsNetcraft.com