PDA

View Full Version : Wild Hogs

duk06
01-19-2011, 02:26 PM
Just curious, but has anyone ever herd of wild hogs any where in Canada? Wild turkeys did a good job of making their way up here, just wondering about hogs.

Mikey Rafiki
01-19-2011, 02:44 PM
I think some people got em free range on private property, but not "wild". Too chilly for the piglets?

rocksteady
01-19-2011, 02:56 PM
Would be kind of fun, for a change in critters to hunt and meat for the table, but from their reputation for destruction and over populating (like in the US) I would not really want to see those 4 legged bacon makers here in Canada...

saskbooknut
cross-bred European wild boars are vermin in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba - escapees from game farms

Buck TraX
Friend of mine told me about some up near harrison in 70s or 80s not sure if they were wild or escaped from a local farm.

snowhunter
01-19-2011, 03:14 PM
There should be some around Harrison as well as Cultus Lake ?

laredo318
01-19-2011, 03:47 PM
There should be some around Harrison as well as Cultus Lake ?

I thought they were called tourists??

srupp
01-19-2011, 03:49 PM
seen some up near Harrison in 1975...not sure of what has happened ..perhaps like me they got bigger??lol

steven

.330 Dakota
01-19-2011, 03:50 PM
And I thought he was talking about the movie...

BCRiverBoater
01-19-2011, 03:56 PM
There are lots of farmed ones north of town (FSJ) that you can go and hunt. Over the years some have gotten out and been seen and taken care of. Not sure how many run wild but the hard winters up here do not seem to bother them too much. A friend of mine was trying to get a buffalo that had escaped and was wreaking havoc on fences of various farmers. While he was hiking the tree lines he noticed some unusual trails through the snow and huge burrows into round bails and haystacks. I while later he heard something and looked up and thought it was a black bear but was wondering what it was doing out in Feb. He then noticed it was a 200lb Russian boar that the local farmer was trying to track down as it was making a heck of a mess.

nwalter
01-19-2011, 03:58 PM
Over in that little french belt in Alberta when my rig was over there, we came across a couple little herds of now wild pigs

weatherby_man
01-19-2011, 04:03 PM
The story I heard about the ones up around Harrison is that they were released in that area by some Europeans that wanted to hunt them and hoped to establish a herd? (do groups of pigs make a herd?) of them.

It would be cool to hunt them.

Buck TraX
01-19-2011, 04:08 PM
MMMMMMM!!!:mrgreen: WILD BACK BACON

sarg
01-19-2011, 04:43 PM
my dad was tellin me that he use to hunt for them up ruby creek in hope in the late 70's, but never got any or seen them.

Craddosk
01-19-2011, 05:37 PM
There are some escaped pigs on Crown/private land in Alberta. They are considered an invasive species, and can be shot anytime of the year, with no need for a hunting license. They escaped from a farm near Mayerthorpe, and hang out North and South of the highway.

If you could find them, and have landowner permission (if on private), you can shoot them all, with no restrictions on what you wish to use to kill them.

snowhunter
01-19-2011, 05:59 PM
About 20 years ago, I remember that some of these "tourist" were spotted under the powerlines around Harrison, as well along the border, south of Cultus Lake. Never got around to hunt them.

Back then, hunters were encouraged to do some cull on these unwanted "tourist". No license are needed.

Should be ideal for my .44 mag carbine :)

BCsniper
01-19-2011, 06:43 PM
In Manitoba the people in Richer used to complain about the boars coming into the town and harassing people. I know that you can contact the CO's in that area and get the most recent intel. It may also be only limited to the residents of Manitoba, but you would have to check.

At the bottom is some information about hunting hogs in the province and a new clip from one of the local towns West of Winnipeg. (Richer is East)

In 2006 I had heard that the locals were baiting them with dog food and trying to get any of them was a challenge. But there was a small group that were under 100 lbs.

http://www.gov.mb.ca/conservation/wildlife/problem_wildlife/boar_at_large.html

http://www.gov.mb.ca/conservation/wildlife/problem_wildlife/pdf/wbca.pdf

http://www.portagedailygraphic.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?archive=true&e=1309007

But I don't know too many guys who have actually come across them in the wild, let alone gone out hunting for them as their population has been seriously reduced.

If you do a search you might find a map of wild boar densities in Manitoba as well, that used to exist (can't find it through google).

Your best bet is probably another province.

Good Luck!

curt
01-19-2011, 07:09 PM
Friend of mine told me about some up near harrison in 70s or 80s not sure if they were wild or escaped from a local farm.
i heard this as well but i also heard they made a point to kill them off apparently they quickly make a hell of a mess to the land up rooting everything and destroying habitat I'm not 100% sure on this because I know very little about hogs but i did hear it some years ago!?!

fearnodeer
01-20-2011, 08:48 AM
Yes we had some at Harrison and it was on the news asking hunters if they came across them to kill them before they mutiply, this was in the 80's and i haven't heard a thing since. Even went up but no luck in spotting any.

Lillypuff
01-20-2011, 06:24 PM
We shot one in Keg River Alberta about 5 years ago. There is still a population there and in Manning Alberta. A couple of years later I believe they put a 50$ bounty on them

coquitlam
01-20-2011, 07:52 PM
Approx. 20 or more years ago a buddy at the time was going out with a girl that was related to the farmer in Harrison that released the pigs. He was trying to breed them for sale and the government stepped in and was giving him a hard time so before they could seize them he just released them one night just to piss them off. They did alot of damage through out the harrison area and when they would go into the harrison hotel gardens , the crap really hit the fan. I knew a forester in the area and he said that when a group of pigs would go threw an area it would be devastated

snowhunter
01-21-2011, 07:27 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit-proof_fence

Australia had some serious problems with "immigrant" rabbits let loose for gentlemen to hunt...

Look74
01-21-2011, 03:04 PM
About 1979 some one turned some out in the Chillawack river and The Harrison area. As this was not the area for wild hogs as they do a lot of damage to the forest floor. I know the guy that had the job of removing them and he did.

32-40win
01-23-2011, 07:12 PM
There are apparently still some up around Mayerthorpe. I'd also heard of some up around Fairview, nothing recent though. A number of years ago some came into a heavily populated area and got taken out with nightscopes and silenced rifles. That woulda been fun.

MikeH
01-23-2011, 07:55 PM
The ones near Mayerthorpe have been thinned out shot a few myself on private land.Yes there was a bounty on them 50 bucks for a pair of ears just had to bring them into the county.Not sure if there still is one.

dukester
01-23-2011, 09:04 PM
we have some hog issues in sask. seen 20 this summer near Saskatoon. East.

rides bike to work
01-23-2011, 09:45 PM
when I was 14 my dad took me to his friends who had shot one of these fraser valley boars It weighed 280 pounds and had large tusks I remember having a roast off it at their house it was delicious Im 31 now. last year I went and talked to this man and he told he got it up the forest service road behind inch creek hatchery.I went for a short drive and found it gated not far up .I would love to go explore up there though.Any body got a key?