PDA

View Full Version : Bear Taxidermy Photos - What do you think?

alderwillow
01-19-2011, 01:34 PM
I killed this bear last spring. I was extremely excited because the hunt was so rewarding for many reasons. It was on father's day with my 72 year old Dad. I worked like mad for 3 years to score on a trophy bear. The skull measured out at 20 11/16 green, and 20 2/16 after the taxidermist cleaned and bleached it. It was an old boar and I will always remember how I felt after I found him on a long blood trail through some very nasty stuff.

So, the taxidermist has now sent me the photos of my nearly completed bear without the carpet that he says he still needs to install. Please have a look at the photo of the taxidermy and the 4 photos of the bear in the field to give you an idea of what it looked like.

I'm extremely disappointed in the work, but wanted to see what others think. Maybe I'm overeacting, but I think it stinks.

Please be honest. Describe what you see and what you think is good or bad. Head, ears, body, front legs, rear legs, etc. You won't hurt my feelings either way.

Thks,

alder

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58509435@N05/?saved=1 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/58509435@N05/?saved=1)

KB90
01-19-2011, 01:38 PM
I'm not digging the head, it almost looks "wolf like" it's not proportionate the the rest.

Also if I were you I would leave the taxidermist name out of it (as you have) until you have actually seen it with your own eyes (pictures can be misleading) and spoke with him on how you feel.

We don't need another taxidermist bashing thread.

BigfishCanada
01-19-2011, 01:39 PM
Can I ask what the cost was to make and who made it? The head does look skinny but could be the photo.

Thanks for sharing

bigwhiteys
01-19-2011, 01:48 PM
When you dropped the bear did you take any measurements of the head w/hide on to relay to your Taxi? Some want this info, others guess at the form size and obviously don't guess right!

Carl

JDR
01-19-2011, 01:50 PM
I'd be dissapointed too. The head shape, size and muzzle look off to me.

tierodrl
01-19-2011, 02:18 PM
i think it might not be a good pic but when you see it up close you will be able to tell if it is no good just tell him and see what happens

Blainer
01-19-2011, 02:27 PM
looks very thin in the legs.

warnniklz
01-19-2011, 02:33 PM
who skinned the bear?

bruin
01-19-2011, 03:20 PM
He definitely trimmed the hide down. Looks a little thin for my taste. Hard to tell on the head from the picture. I'd want to see it in person before passing judgement. I'd also be interested in knowing what info you provided your taxi with.

lilhoss
01-19-2011, 03:25 PM
Yup,very small melon compared to the photo.Have you paid for it yet?I'd get him to change out the head mold to a larger one to match the one in the picture.Might be a pissing match but I'd mention it to him.Oh yeah,and nice old boar!

.330 Dakota
01-19-2011, 03:31 PM
I might even be bold enough to say that the bear you shot is not the same bear he rugged for you. It looks like a different bear to me

budismyhorse
01-19-2011, 03:35 PM
...same bear.....check the muzzle coloration around the eyes.....

however, the head he used was obviously too small.....therefore the elongated look.

You have the right to be pissed off........taxidermy is expensive and you shouldn't let the guy off until you are happy! Switch the head out for a larger melon.......or get him to put some damn putty on the head to make it wider and more filled out.

I feel for ya!

huntcoop
01-19-2011, 03:48 PM
The finished product looks like you shot a small girlie bear, I'd be pissed.

nwalter
01-19-2011, 03:53 PM
I am by no means qualified in this sort of thing, but what seems not right to me is the hide is cut making the bear look like he was anorexic. The head does not do it justice as it looks narrower then the original by a significant amount and last I looked bears dont have pointed ears

srupp
01-19-2011, 03:58 PM
hmmm putting felt underlay under that will not fix the issues as I see them and there are numerous ones...:confused: I would GO SEE THE TAXIDERMIST NOW before any more work is done..photos can be decieving...if it looks in person as it looks on the photo express your concerns politely however FIRMLY that this is not acceptable...

the legs appear too trimmed down and lanky thin....not fixable
the paws are not presented with the toes reasonably well seperated
the body has been or "appears to be" trimmed too much...not fixable
the skull is of the wrong size and needs to be corrected

hmmm I wouldnt be happy either...and I DID have a bear "substituted" and had to deal with the taxidermist// sometimes shit happens..but dont accept shit..

steven

Whonnock Boy
01-19-2011, 04:14 PM
Everything everyone has said is true as far as looks go. However, it looks to me like when the bear was skinned, it was left a little shy on the bears left side. In order to even it up the taxi had to heavily trim the right, and lightly trim the left which left you with a skinny rug. That is what I see anyways. A bigger head will make a huge difference though.

TSW
01-19-2011, 04:16 PM
I'm with the masses on this one. Taxidermy pics can be deceptive so one shouldn't base their reaction solely on photos...that being said, I don't know if pics can be THAT deceptive!

Crys Shorty
01-19-2011, 04:25 PM
He doesn`t look quite right,.. however trying to be the optimist,.. good looking jaw, transition between the jaw and lips looks good. Bear doesn`t look stoned which is good, eye placement can be tricky and reck everything. Bears dont lay perfectly flat so they usually need to be cut in certain areas then sewn together again,.. maybe the taxi wasnt big on sewing and wanted to save the work? Nose looks good too,.. he obviously knows what he's doing so have a chat with him,.. call it constructive critisism :)

BlacktailStalker
01-19-2011, 05:21 PM
Looks goofy.
Did you look at pics of his previous work ? Did you ask if he'd done a bear rug before and looked at a pic(s) of it ?
If not, I think you took a gamble and lost..was his price lower than others, hence the reason you went with him ?
I hope he fixes it for you or refunds some $, if he doesnt be sure to post up his location and name. Give him a chance first, people arent born great at everything right from the get-go (and some never get there :lol:)
Nice bear though and he cant ruin the memory of having your dad there.

proguide66
01-19-2011, 05:45 PM
Just one pic isnt enough for me to make a call....the lens could be on that goofy setting that makes it kinda outta shape like a fishbowl.Need a pic from straight above his bean...aas well maybe a tape on his ears maybe??
does look to be some shit missing on sides/legs...I'd get more pics before this thread gets outta hand and you puckered right up!

Side note , when it comes to Taxidermy , pay the $$$$....dont look for 'deals' with taxidermy..its a one shot deal on a lifetime memory. I never haggle or look for a 'deal' , recipe for grieff!

fourbyfour
01-20-2011, 12:05 AM
Side note , when it comes to Taxidermy , pay the $$$$....dont look for 'deals' with taxidermy..its a one shot deal on a lifetime memory. I never haggle or look for a 'deal' , recipe for grieff![/QUOTE]

+2 you said it. look long and hard for the right taxidermest

1/2 slam
01-20-2011, 01:16 AM
Side note , when it comes to Taxidermy , pay the $$$$....dont look for 'deals' with taxidermy..its a one shot deal on a lifetime memory. I never haggle or look for a 'deal' , recipe for grieff!

Very good advice.

Mr. Dean
01-20-2011, 01:34 AM
DO NOT believe in a picture and ESPECIALLY not when different angles aren't offered - Go see it in person, then make the call. :wink:

I assume that the taxi excavated the skull out; he should know what the beast looked like (?).

Mik
01-20-2011, 02:23 AM
Pictures of Bear Rugs Never give the rug any justice. Go see it in person.

hunter1947
01-20-2011, 04:17 AM
My opinion is it is not a very nice looking bear the legs are thin as for the with I can't comment on the ears cant see them very good in the picture to do so ,my opinion is this the same bear rug you shot ??? :wink:..

alderwillow
01-20-2011, 08:01 AM
Thanks guys. I've read a lot of helpful comments here and I really appreciate it. I'm going to see the bear in person and I'll post photos of the finished product in a couple of months when the taxidermist has done all he can (good or bad).

BCBear
01-20-2011, 08:32 AM
If that's the pic that the taxi sent you...I'd be a bit concerned. Surely he looked at it before he sent it to you. If he thought that it looked funny and out of whack then why wouldn't he take a better pic? Don't we all take the best pics we can when we're trying to sell something to someone?

fearnodeer
01-20-2011, 08:41 AM
Looks to me that you sent it to someone who does this out of thier home, close up pics would help a lot, but it does not look wright as it stands noe.

Crys Shorty
01-20-2011, 12:46 PM
Disagree with having to pay a lot of money for good work. You just gotta find a taxidermist willing to put in a little elbow grease. For instance tanning a cape runs at 90 to 110$, if you tan the cape yourself you can get a tanning kit thatll do 3 capes for $30. Everyone has the theory why waste the time when you can get someone else to do it. I've never charged more then $75 for euro mounts, antler mounts, or cleaning skulls. I'm told people can pay up to $300 to get the same work done. If the skull comes out the same in the end, clean and white, teeth in tact, why pay more?

greenhorn
01-20-2011, 01:15 PM
Disagree with having to pay a lot of money for good work. You just gotta find a taxidermist willing to put in a little elbow grease. For instance tanning a cape runs at 90 to 110$, if you tan the cape yourself you can get a tanning kit thatll do 3 capes for $30. Everyone has the theory why waste the time when you can get someone else to do it. I've never charged more then $75 for euro mounts, antler mounts, or cleaning skulls. I'm told people can pay up to $300 to get the same work done. If the skull comes out the same in the end, clean and white, teeth in tact, why pay more?

I think the point they're making is that sometimes you get what you pay for. If the going rate is $700 for a "whatever", and you shop around and find the cheapest guy that's willing to do it for $400, you gotta wonder why he's willing to do the work for such a deep discount.

Not saying that you can't find good deals. If you find a guy with good prices and the work he shows you is good quality... then why not go with him.

On the other hand - I bet there's alot of stories of people who paid top dollar and received a bad final product. There was a pic on this site of a stoned coyote that comes to mind...

coquitlam
01-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Just a suggestion for if there is a next time, take more photos ,at different angles and closer to the mellon, just makes it easier for the taxi.