PDA

View Full Version : Hunting with a young dog - how to start

helios
01-17-2011, 11:33 AM
Hi,

I have a 6 months old Airedale who I'd like to take bird hunting. Can anyone recommend a good way to start? He can fetch well and has good recall. I've been working on tracking training with him and he is making good progress on that too.

I am a complete beginner when it comes to hunting myself, so perhaps the best way would be to go along with someone who has experience hunting with a dog?

Thanks for your input.

Spokerider
01-17-2011, 01:34 PM
I like airedales, and have had two of them.
Where did you get your pup from??

As far as hunting airedales.......being terriers, they are more inclined to chase small and large furry critters over retrieving birds. I never did try bird hunting with them however. If you really are set on bird hunting, he may do well with it if you start piquing his bird-scenting desires early, and as he matures and becomes more confident with the demands and training that you have instilled upon him.

Are the sibblings, sire or dam used for hunting? If so, for what game? If not, you may have to see what game species your dog is inclined towards, and head in that direction.

At six months old, he is still a puppy, and you can liken his age to a two year old child, so treat him accordingly. At his tender age, it`s all about bonding with you, going for walks in the woods, and not letting him get his @ss kicked by a larger dog, bear, or mean coon, etc. It`s also a good time to introduce him to loud noises, lawnmowers, atv, chainsaws, truck rides.......and anything that he will experience with you in the years to come. You could also start training him to the sound of a cap gun, or belt snap at mealtimes.......progressing to rim fire, small centerfire and shotgun fire appropriately. Reasearch this...there is lots of good info out there, and his best chance for success at gun training and not becoming gun-shy, will be to train him correctly the frist time around .

Good luck. Sounds like you are headed in the right direction.

K-1
01-17-2011, 03:09 PM
Look up ' Clint S. ' on this site,, he knows about Airedales.

01-17-2011, 03:22 PM
Before next season, take him into the forrest with a buddy. Bring a shot gun and a box of shells.

Give your friend the gun, take the dog 100yds plus aaway from the gun. Make sure your dog is leashed. Get the gunner to shoot once while you watch the dog. If it freaks out bad stop. If it doesnt walk 25yds closer and repeat. keep doing this until you are beside the shooter. Stop if the dog is getting scared even a bit. You dont want to push him over the edge.

That is how I sound train my dogs and never had a problem.

Next season save all the bird wings you can and freeze them. You can use these in training. Either retrieving or toss them into the bush and have the dog go get them. I used to fill old socks with bird wings and use it as a throw dummie.

Kasomor
01-17-2011, 05:05 PM
Hi,

I have a 6 months old Airedale who I'd like to take bird hunting. Can anyone recommend a good way to start? He can fetch well and has good recall. I've been working on tracking training with him and he is making good progress on that too.

I am a complete beginner when it comes to hunting myself, so perhaps the best way would be to go along with someone who has experience hunting with a dog?

Thanks for your input.

Don't know where you live but you may want to attend this workshop put on by Anne Everett over on the island. Well worth the money and time.

As a beginner you will get way more out of attending an actual workshop with your dog, seeing and working said dog then you will ever get out of any book or Internet chat room
http://www.headsupdogtraining.com/pdfs/Puppyworkshop%20registrationform.pdf

Anne is an excellent trainer and more importantly to me at least...an excellent teacher.

Good luck,

Kasomor

bcbrez
01-17-2011, 05:39 PM
I started with a training dummy with wings tied to it. When I threw it I would shoot a cap gun off while it was in the air. Then go for walks in the bush (bring the dummy) and upgrade to a shotgun. Make sure to get the bog used to noise and all types of bush, high stuff, thick stuff, wet and crossing water. Traing collars are a great tool as well.

helios
01-24-2011, 02:05 PM
Wow, thanks for the great responses everyone! I like the idea of a workshop and will probably end up doing that.

The dog comes from 'Tantivy Stables' on the island. I don't know if the parents hunt (will check with the breeder). He's healthy and smart, so that's a good start.

He is used to loud everyday noises, and recently I've been firing off the cap gun around it. He was puzzled the first time he heard it and now it is a new source of excitement.

I will do the dummy + cap gun practice next.