PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Goose Pastrami Recipe

rbduck
01-17-2011, 11:20 AM
I saw this recipe last week and now I can`t find it. It also may not be on this site as I was surfing. I do remember it calling for 5lbs of goose and it had pics with it. Does anyone recall seeing this recipe? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Ron:mrgreen:

lorneparker1
01-17-2011, 04:03 PM
Pm Crazy farmer or Mattchu_19. they got a killer recipe.

303Brit
01-17-2011, 08:36 PM
After managing a few early season birds I thought I would add my tweaks to the original recipe so here it is fellas. I will say it seems like a lot of work but is not at all difficult....the results speak for themselves!

Give it a try and if you gusy have any questions....please let me know.

My recipe:

Goose Breast Pastrami

Preparation Time: 7-10 days (I normally go at least 8 days)
Cooking Time: 3-5 hours

Servings: 4-6 pounds

Cure Ingredients:
4-6 whole goose breast (8-12 sides), 4-6 lbs
5 tablespoons Morton® Tender Quick® mix
¼ cup sugar
3 tablespoon black peppercorns (whole)
3 whole bay leaves
3 tablespoons garlic powder
½ quart water
2 quarts cold water

Preparations
Trim surface fat and any silver-skin. Bring all (except cold water) of above ingredients to a quick boil, turn to a low simmer for approx. 15 minutes. Add 2 qts. cold water and stir.
Inject all goose breasts completely with brine. Cover goose breasts with remaining brine solution in covered plastic container. Place in refrigerator for 7-10 days.

Dry Rub
5 Tablespoons kosher salt
4 Tablespoons Paprika
3 Tablespoons coriander seeds
3 Tablespoons brown sugar
5 Tablespoons black peppercorns
2 Tablespoons yellow mustards seeds
3 Tablespoons garlic powder
Mix all above ingredients in a food processor to a course grind. I use a coffee bean grinder I have for spices only. Remove breasts from brine and pat dry. Apply dry rub generously to exterior of the goose breasts.

Cooking
I now place my pastramis in my Jensen Smoker with 2 pans of alder chips and smoke for 2-3 hours. This step is optional but I think it adds a lot of depth to the flavor. You can skip and go to the next step.

Place in oven on 180 for 1 hour or until dry (you can skip drying part if you smoked them). Then increase temp to 215 for another 3-5 hours, or until internal temp reaches 175.

Slice thin and enjoy on rye bread with onion, a good yellow mustard and baby Swiss. Or slice thin and serve as a finger food.

By far the BEST way I have ever tasted goose!

Here are a few pics of the end of the process.....dry rubbing, smoking and finished product.........yummmmm!!

Dry Rub applied....

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l232/DUCKDIGGLER/PIST001.jpg

I used Hickory chips this time...apple, alder, maple and pecan all work well......

The finished product......

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l232/DUCKDIGGLER/PIST008.jpg

From another forum

credit to Duckdiggler from flocknockers