PDA

View Full Version : Ladner Marsh

longshotz
01-17-2011, 09:55 AM
Angus and I, along with Kevinso, ventured forth from our usual haunt at Pitt Polder into Ladner Marsh for the last couple of weekends.

After some skeet and trap at the PMGC Angus managed to go 2 for two on what were surely a couple of slow, geriatric and visually challenged ducks.

Apart from that we haven't fired a shot. Lots of ducks flying high and on a set course to anywhere but our spread. We'd set up in the inner marsh.

Talked to a few other hunters who say that the birds late season tend to hang out on the "outside". We take this to mean the south and west shore of Westham Island; essentially facing Georgia Strait (next,stop Van Isle) in the open water.

What say you all who hunt this area regularly?

Thanks people.

Farmer John
01-17-2011, 10:45 AM
Hope this helps.
I hunt the outer marsh quite a bit, have for years. This year has been very a very odd one for ducks and geese. It's been a very slow year with the ducks and geese spending most of their days rafted up out in the strait. The ducks have been hanging out between the ferry terminal and the coal port causeway. Geese have been off Sandheads. The geese only fly onto Westham around 5:3oPM and feed in the fields until sometime after 11. The westham Foreshore is a challenging place to hunt for anybody. Its rarely good. You REALLY have to know and be aware of your tides, know the bars, vegetation, winds recent freeze thaw patterns, and you definitely need a dog out there.

rburm
01-17-2011, 10:57 AM
Sorry, had to laugh!!! atta boy Farmer John!!! nice text size/colour choice!!

blindman
01-17-2011, 12:58 PM
Is this what happens to our sanity at the end of the season?

sparkes3
01-17-2011, 07:42 PM
what farmer said

fowl language
01-17-2011, 08:28 PM
that,s rich FJ...i see the hilton and surrounding area got a bit of a work out this aft. hope that was you with him....fowl

Ruger4
01-17-2011, 08:34 PM
the ''outside'' or the ''foreshore'' used to be great for pintails as well.......but as mentioned before , you better know the tidal schedule , cause when she rips out , your little aluminum might be in for a ride !!!!

01-17-2011, 09:07 PM
that,s rich FJ...i see the hilton and surrounding area got a bit of a work out this aft. hope that was you with him....fowl

that was me. I went for a walk out to the slough with low expectations but ended up with 5 birds in about half an hour. two really nice fat mallards. were you watching from the other side if the river? and did you see me get robed blind by those two eagles? I snuck up on some birds and shot a tripple at the beginning then left them on the path that I was going to walk back on. I cross the next field, drop another mallard then look over and two eagles are eating two of my birds.

sneg
01-18-2011, 03:27 PM
Went last two weekends to Brunswick shore .limited out nicely. This time ducks also tend to seat in sloughs and on side of river banks.

Angus
01-18-2011, 03:48 PM
..slow, geriatric and visually challenged...

Gregg, I thought you were beginning to tell a story about yourself with this description. :mrgreen:

aliagha
01-18-2011, 06:34 PM
was out in canoe pass on saturday for a evening hunt, it was a nice wet/windy day and expectations were high, got there around 3:30pm, as i got out of the car a very fat mallard flew right by my head, further more i look out and there is a huge flock of snow geese, ducks were all over the sky, as i got on the dyke 3 drivers sitting right by the river, every thing looked so great untill i got into the marsh, sat there for a good 20 min before i saw the first flock get by, it was too high so no shot, waited for another 10 minutes, saw a mallard flying right to me..took the shot..bird down, and that was the only duck that came into range, also.. saw a small flock of snow geese flying superlow from a distance i thought they were swans but no..but couldn't shoot em anywayafter the legal shooting time started walking back to the car and heard the snowgeese taking off, by the time a got to the car snow geese were flying over us and all of the sudden gun shots rang out heard atleast 6 shots, seemed some people shooting at the geese but the season was closed, did any of you guys heard em or could it have been the farmer trying to scare them away??

NitwiT
01-18-2011, 09:39 PM
wouldnt be suprised if someone was honestly trying to bag them. Seen a couple foreigners (Russia?) out there that were trying to drop a flock of cormorents that were frequenting the area. We yelled to get them to stop, but I doubt things were understood.

fowl language
01-18-2011, 10:16 PM
it wasn,t farmer,s,it was someone hunting late.no positive i.d. but the co,s were there the next morning, hope they get caught....john,i saw the eagles with something but couldn,t tell from that distance,that,s rough,,,,fowl

lorneparker1
01-18-2011, 11:20 PM
wouldnt be suprised if someone was honestly trying to bag them. Seen a couple foreigners (Russia?) out there that were trying to drop a flock of cormorents that were frequenting the area. We yelled to get them to stop, but I doubt things were understood.

For some odd reason comorents seem to fall out of the sky near me when im hunting. And they they dont get back up again. I'm not sure what it is, but i find it weird.

Lorne

Farmer John
01-18-2011, 11:30 PM
For some odd reason comorents seem to fall out of the sky near me when im hunting. And they they dont get back up again. I'm not sure what it is, but i find it weird.

Lorne

How do they taste?

Kevin So
01-18-2011, 11:34 PM
was out in canoe pass on saturday for a evening hunt, it was a nice wet/windy day and expectations were high, got there around 3:30pm, as i got out of the car a very fat mallard flew right by my head, further more i look out and there is a huge flock of snow geese, ducks were all over the sky, as i got on the dyke 3 drivers sitting right by the river, every thing looked so great untill i got into the marsh, sat there for a good 20 min before i saw the first flock get by, it was too high so no shot, waited for another 10 minutes, saw a mallard flying right to me..took the shot..bird down, and that was the only duck that came into range, also.. saw a small flock of snow geese flying superlow from a distance i thought they were swans but no..but couldn't shoot em anywayafter the legal shooting time started walking back to the car and heard the snowgeese taking off, by the time a got to the car snow geese were flying over us and all of the sudden gun shots rang out heard atleast 6 shots, seemed some people shooting at the geese but the season was closed, did any of you guys heard em or could it have been the farmer trying to scare them away??

was in the marsh last Sunday and every time a flock of snows fly over the marsh (and there were many huge flocks), we heard someone firing shots east of our blind....I like to be a optimist and think someone just happen to score some ducks at the same time as the snows were overhead BUT ... what's the chances of that.....:roll:

Going to get out there for closing day, hopefully get better result than last weekend. Cheers

lip_ripper00
01-18-2011, 11:46 PM
[quote=Kevin So;837260]was in the marsh last Sunday and every time a flock of snows fly over the marsh (and there were many huge flocks), we heard someone firing shots east of our blind....I like to be a optimist and think someone just happen to score some ducks at the same time as the snows were overhead BUT ... what's the chances of that.....:roll:

Yes, I agree, I had a great time, if you need someone to help put out deks before the closer let me know. Steve

aliagha
01-19-2011, 04:20 PM
was in the marsh last Sunday and every time a flock of snows fly over the marsh (and there were many huge flocks), we heard someone firing shots east of our blind....I like to be a optimist and think someone just happen to score some ducks at the same time as the snows were overhead BUT ... what's the chances of that.....:roll:

Going to get out there for closing day, hopefully get better result than last weekend. Cheers

where in ladner marsh are you talking about??

01-19-2011, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorneparker1

How do they taste?

almost as good as seagull????

Kevin So
01-19-2011, 11:33 PM
Yes, I agree, I had a great time, if you need someone to help put out deks before the closer let me know. Steve

Hey Steve,
I plan to be out there Friday morning, PM me if you can make it! Forecast calls for a wet one. :mrgreen:

where in ladner marsh are you talking about??

We were at the channel south of Duck Island, and the Snow geese were flying from east of us towards the open water just north of Reifel. Shots sounded like they were coming from around Kirkland Island direction.

yamadirt 426
01-20-2011, 08:00 AM
Between the guys in the fields starting their shooting well after legal + the guys shooting at geese and swans. Ladner is a poachers paradise with all those birds. Glad someone called rapp.

aliagha
01-20-2011, 08:16 PM
Hey Steve,
I plan to be out there Friday morning, PM me if you can make it! Forecast calls for a wet one. :mrgreen:

We were at the channel south of Duck Island, and the Snow geese were flying from east of us towards the open water just north of Reifel. Shots sounded like they were coming from around Kirkland Island direction.

i have been to those channels and have heard shots coming from kirk island, is kirk island private, when ever i have been there i have heard shots firing, are those gun shots or is there some other stuff going on?