PDA

View Full Version : Decent walking around BINOs???

Singleshotneeded
01-16-2011, 08:15 PM
Doing a bit of snooping around online today, and Gander Mountain has the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD binos in 10*42 for $225. Anyone have these? They're supposed to be pretty sharp and have that rainguard coating for showers... Cabelas has the Leupold Cascades in 10*42 on for $250, once again they're supposed to be sharp and good in low light. Anyone have these?
This pair of binos would be for walking and glassing meadows and clearings, so their lighter weight is a positive, and these two binos are supposed to represent a couple of the best deals out there in decent binos. What are your thoughts?

BCfishguy
01-16-2011, 09:51 PM
I've got the Bushnells and am quite happy with them. Not the lightest, but pretty durable so far and more than decent optics, especially for the price. Gotta love rainguard too.

Singleshotneeded
01-17-2011, 06:25 PM
Thanks BCfishguy, someone else has to have one of these binos??

1/2 slam
01-17-2011, 09:45 PM
Doing a bit of snooping around online today, and Gander Mountain has the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD binos in 10*42 for $225. Anyone have these? They're supposed to be pretty sharp and have that rainguard coating for showers... Cabelas has the Leupold Cascades in 10*42 on for $250, once again they're supposed to be sharp and good in low light. Anyone have these?
This pair of binos would be for walking and glassing meadows and clearings, so their lighter weight is a positive, and these two binos are supposed to represent a couple of the best deals out there in decent binos. What are your thoughts?

Don't do it. Save Save Save. Spend the money on good binoculars.

Joel
01-17-2011, 09:48 PM
Don't do it. Save Save Save. Spend the money on good binoculars.

+1 Don't throw a few hundred away. You'll regret it in the long run

BillyBull
01-17-2011, 10:04 PM
Have a look at the Vortex Diamondback bino's same price range great warranty... hit the sponsor site for Grouse River outfitters for a quick view.

Ferenc
01-19-2011, 01:39 PM
+1 Don't throw a few hundred away. You'll regret it in the long run+2.....and make sure they are rubber armoured...try looking for a used pair in european make....you will be better off and happier....I have the Zeiss B/GAT Classics in 8x30 and 10x40... I will never need to buy again.

greenhorn
01-19-2011, 02:50 PM
Have you glassed much with 10X binos? If not, I'd borrow a pair to see if you like the added magnification over the usual 7X.

I dropped some coin on a nice pair of 10Xs and regretted it. For the glassing I do, I prefer 7X.

The 10Xs are ok for sitting and glassing or on a tripod, but when I'm walking around and breathing a little harder I find the extra magnification annoying because the image is bouncing around too much. Not so much a problem with 7Xs IMO.

guywitha270
01-19-2011, 03:09 PM
x2 for the Vortex Diamondbacks

Mikey Rafiki
01-19-2011, 03:12 PM
I had the cascades, they are pretty decent, then someone broke into my truck and stole them. I spent a few more bucks and got the Leupold Mojave's. My buddy still has some newer cascades and the mojaves are noticeably better. Would have liked to save a few more bucks and got some Zeiss or Swaro's, but I had no choice as hunting season couldn't wait. I can look through them all day without any strain, great with low light and very clear.

Weatherby Fan
01-19-2011, 03:12 PM

If you go online checkout craigslist,gunbroker or ebay,I have bought 3 pairs online,BNIB 10x42 Kahles for 375.00 US for my son,10x42 Zeiss FL T for 660.00 US for my Nephew,and a pair of 10x42 Leica trinovid for 600.00 canadian in Nanaimo which I use all time and they are outstanding binoculars so if your patient you can find good deals online,don't rush into buying something until you've gone and looked through them yourself,my nephew would get so much eyestrain from his bushnell legend 10x42(non HD) his head would ache.

bruin
01-19-2011, 03:22 PM
IMO, avoid Leupold bino's at all costs. They make fantastic scopes but I have been very disappointed in their bino's and spotting scopes.

RoscoeP
01-19-2011, 04:34 PM
I have 10 power Leupold binos and think they are abit much. You have to hold them very steady, elbows on chest. Eight would be plenty for general hunting. Cheers

Chuck
01-19-2011, 05:14 PM
IMO, avoid Leupold bino's at all costs. They make fantastic scopes but I have been very disappointed in their bino's and spotting scopes.

I have 10 power Leupold binos and think they are abit much. You have to hold them very steady, elbows on chest. Eight would be plenty for general hunting. Cheers

I agree with you both, and I might add the Pentax as well. Good cameras but.....
I've got Zeiss BMC Diafun 8X30's and they are absolutely a joy to wear around the neck and VERY light.

Singleshotneeded
01-24-2011, 04:24 PM
:-D The concensus seems to be NOT to buy inexpensive binos, so I think I'll go to Plan B, which is the 10X42 Bushnell Fusion 1600...they seem to combine a good quality bino with a decent rangefinder. Delete a step when spotting an animal at longer ranges...

TyTy
01-24-2011, 07:10 PM
In my opinion, don't buy bushnell. I've never found them to be great quality. Vortex has an incredible warranty. Also look at the Ziess and Leica brands.

luckofthedraw
01-24-2011, 08:56 PM
I'm looking to get the Nikon Monarch's 10x42 soon. I have done my homework and surprised noone else is mentioning them. Maybe 8x42 for lighter weight though.

shawnwells
01-24-2011, 09:47 PM
I'm looking to get the Nikon Monarch's 10x42 soon. I have done my homework and surprised noone else is mentioning them. Maybe 8x42 for lighter weight though.
word on the street is the nikon monarchs eye cups fall off eventually...ive heard that from a few guys....

Singleshotneeded
01-25-2011, 06:02 PM
TyTy, I certainly agree that the German version of the Bushnell Fusion 1600 probably has a slightly better glass and therefore are a tiny bit sharper then the best Bushnell glass, but the Geovids (or a name close to that) are a ridiculous $2400 or so! The Fusion 1600 is $859 at Wholesale Sports, and I can't justify the extra $1600 for a tiny bit of sharpness. Perhaps if I made my living guiding hunters to mountain goats or something, but not for the average hunter like myself.

Singleshotneeded
01-25-2011, 06:06 PM
Vortex seems to be a far better value for the dollar than the German binos, but they don't make a combination bino/rangefinder, do they?

.300WSMImpact!
01-25-2011, 06:57 PM
a friend of mine brought his swarofskis to the job site, and they are unbelievable, I have the vortex and they dont even compare, I know the ones I am going to buy next

The Hermit
02-01-2011, 12:32 AM
KOWA Binoculars are as good as it gets, for a lot less money in any price point/value range. http://www.kowa-usa.com/kowanewweb/sporting/somain.html

Check the sale VantagePoint has listed in the Sponsor's Corner!