PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Outdoors

noob_shooter
01-16-2011, 05:03 PM
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I am a noob so....... I own a 9mm Ruger, a Stevens 12 Ga pump shotgun and a Marlin .22lr rifle and would like to practice my aiming, etc, before actually going hunting (writing my CORE test soon) and was thinking rather than going to a range I'd go to a remote spot around Chilliwack, Mission, etc, set up some targets and buy a trap/skeet throwing machine and hone my skills.

Before all the flaming starts about how I should support my local range and/or how I can't shoot handguns outdoors or hunt with them (already know that and have no intention), how I'm gonna make a mess with my shells and broken clays, etc,. I should let you know I am already a member of a range that I shoot my guns at but would like to get outside (mine's indoor), in a less formal setting, one where I can vary target placement left-right, etc, and a place where I'm not forced to buy their clay at 4-5 times the price of buying my own. I should also mention I totally plan on cleaning up after myself before I leave. If anyone know's of such a spot where I can legally shoot outside without bothering anyone I'd appreciate if they'd share it with me. I've looked in the 2009-2010 Reg Synopsis but being so new to this I just don't feel comfortable going by my understanding of that alone I'd prefer if someone could just say "go to XYZ you'll be fine there". Thanks guys.:-D

brian
01-16-2011, 09:17 PM
A place I like to shoot is down Chilliwack lake road opposite of Ford Mountain. There is an FSR on the south side of the road that heads up to some clearcuts on the North Slopes. Not many hikers out that way and some good steep back drops. You can shoot longer ranges if you don't mind putting up targets in gnarly clearcuts. Just make sure you are out of the .8 km no shooting area on either side of Chilliwack Lake road there (don't trust the signs of other people bush shooting a lot of it is in the no shooting area. And clean up after yourself better than those bozo's do).

noob_shooter
01-17-2011, 06:02 AM
Thanks Brian I'll try there when the weather improves.

Anybody else got a spot they want to share (hopefully a little closer to Cloverdale ie Cultas, Mission, Hatzic, Sumas, etc,) ?

Steeleco
01-17-2011, 08:29 AM
You couldn't possibly make the mess any worse if you were to head up Sylvester road. About 3 or 4 km after the pavement ends you'll see the spot. Hell they've already put up your targets and there's enough unbroken clays you should not need to take your own LOL

But leave the 9 at home, I've seen not just a few stop checks right at the pavement, and you know what that means when it comes to Hand canons!!!

coconut54
02-20-2011, 09:07 PM
feel free to PM me

Kyle84
02-20-2011, 09:16 PM
Steelco is right. Head down Sylvester road. Around the 15km mark (FSR) you'll see the gravel pit and a sea of red. Please remember to pick up your spent ammo, there is a real problem there and you dont want to contribute to it.