PDA

View Full Version : PG area competition?

Crys Shorty
01-16-2011, 03:37 PM
I had an idea and wanted to see if there would be any interest. I was thinking of a friendly competition in the fall (in the PG area), for lets say Mulies. If there were a 10$ buy in, and lets say it ran from the beginning of the season to the end, biggest rack (measured by someone that does the official measuring for boone and crocket) would win a shoulder mount for their buck. It's just an idea, not planning anything yet, wanted to see what people thought.

Brett
01-16-2011, 04:18 PM
I'd be in, I even think $20 is reasonable

thetackdriver
01-16-2011, 04:24 PM
yeah id be in too. id be willing to put up 20 bucks.

Gateholio
01-16-2011, 06:14 PM
Probably shouldn't organize a cash/gambling contest on the website.:wink:

brad ferris
01-16-2011, 07:17 PM
Its not a gambling situation gate. Simply a post to determine interest in a trophy competition. No different than a fishing derby or any other big buck comp. If anything it promotes selective hunting. Wouldn't that be tragic a few more mulies get to live a year longer.

moosinaround
01-16-2011, 08:26 PM
I'm in!! I'll take er guys moola! Killman you can't enter fur!! A shoulder mount would look nice on my new gun room wall!:wink:

todbartell
01-16-2011, 08:58 PM
PG can't even organize a HBC gathering.............:mrgreen:

BigBear.338
01-16-2011, 09:23 PM
Yeah im in.sounds like i could get an nice mount done for free.lol hahaha:mrgreen:

beni
01-16-2011, 10:17 PM
I applied for a job in PG a couple days ago, how many HBC members live in the area want new hunting partners? =)

Once I was able to get a feel for the area i'd consider this too!!

moosinaround
01-16-2011, 10:23 PM
I applied for a job in PG a couple days ago, how many HBC members live in the area want new hunting partners? =)

Once I was able to get a feel for the area i'd consider this too!!
Hey a carpenter!! I am building a new house this spring! Come on up I'll show ya a few spots! Moosin

beni
01-16-2011, 10:25 PM
Hey a carpenter!! I am building a new house this spring! Come on up I'll show ya a few spots! Moosin

A Journeyman carpenter too!

Help me help you =)

mark
01-16-2011, 10:26 PM
Big buck contests have been done many times, in many towns.
Often put on by sporting goods stores, or fish and game clubs.

For some reason they dont seem to last to many years....its always a few whinny people or cheaters that spoil the game for all!

Ive been in on several, won a couple times. :)

Crys Shorty
01-17-2011, 12:28 PM
Who let the princess on here? Check your regs on what information is required by taxidermists and you'll see poaching is highly unlikely. So, the competition is on, we'll work out details such as areas eligable for hunting so some poor smuck hunting the blackwater isn't competing with a buck from way up north. And a hbc gathering is a great idea, what do you guys have in mind, like a pub gathering?

killer
01-17-2011, 01:43 PM
I will be in don`t mind coming from the island bag a moose a monster buck and get a free mount.Sounds easy enough.

thetackdriver
01-18-2011, 02:26 AM
A pub gathering would be a good idea but by the sounds of it the last get together nobody showed up

moosinaround
01-18-2011, 09:52 AM
Any buck from region 7A should qualify. Bow hunt/rifle hunt combined. Start sept 1 2011 through to November 30 2011. Pictures and measurements must be posted along with the story of the hunt. A pub gathering would be a good idea, specially after christmas, when everyones committments are finished. Good idea coonhound. Moosin

lightmag
01-18-2011, 01:15 PM
i'm in, sounds great

swampthing
01-18-2011, 06:54 PM
Hows it goin coonhound? I thought about you guys over xmas, but I didnt even go see my own family. I would be in on the big buck, but I must warn, I have won one already and second in another. Only region 7a though? Mabee a little region 5 action? I havnt found a deer in region 7 yet.

killman
01-18-2011, 07:08 PM
Who let the princess on here? Check your regs on what information is required by taxidermists and you'll see poaching is highly unlikely.

You think poachers check the regs? How the hell is a Taxi going to tell if it was shot at night with a light? Are the eyes still glowing? Sorry to rain on your little fair tale parade but some people will do whatever it takes to win one of these. Whether it is getting in another area, just on private land, at night it doesn't matter to some.

Timbow
01-18-2011, 07:41 PM
You think poachers check the regs? How the hell is a Taxi going to tell if it was shot at night with a light? Are the eyes still glowing? Sorry to rain on your little fair tale parade but some people will do whatever it takes to win one of these. Whether it is getting in another area, just on private land, at night it doesn't matter to some.

A open or closed hunting season won't stop poaching. Shame on someone has to poach or cheat to win a contest.

If a contest exists for HBC members and someone from this site has to cheat to win, well they cheated us all and do not belong here.

PS....do you have to live in PG to enter, even though one hunts the Tako Creek area on a steady basis during the hunting season?

Cheers.

finngun
01-18-2011, 08:07 PM
hey why not make diff.. kind competition?
smallest deer...:-D who gets least lb. meat out of it..?

they are easier to miss than big buck....
i start .. bambi--25 lb...lovely tender meat..

jml11
01-18-2011, 11:14 PM

If someone poaches a deer to win what will likely be a low participant contest where the prize is only a free mount (inexpensive really) then they would probably poach that animal anyways...If someone is really going to poach animal just to win THIS contest...well they have some serious issues given the risks they will take just to save a few hundred bucks...

I don't see how having these contests is any different than competing for the record books...where a top animal could be sold or used in tours for thousands of dollars in profits to the hunter...perhaps the Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young and Safari Clubs should all be blamed for encouraging poaching by creating social bragging rights and some small time media attention if you kill an animal that makes "book".

Poachers are poachers...they don't need a little contest to push them to do it, they will do it for their own selfish reasons. They will kill that 'monster buck' they come across contest or no contest...we can maybe blame that on the general hunting society that says if you kill big animals you are an elite hunter...which we all know is far from the actual truth.

It's not poaching to kill a deer on private land (with permission of course) and entering an animal from another area is only cheating the contest not poaching (as long as it was harvested legally of course).

killman
01-19-2011, 08:16 AM
Just my opinion! And yes I believe the "Book" also contributes to poaching. I would almost say that at least 1/2 of "monster bucks" where probably pushing the limits of poaching. :wink:

jml11
01-19-2011, 10:54 AM
Just my opinion! And yes I believe the "Book" also contributes to poaching. I would almost say that at least 1/2 of "monster bucks" where probably pushing the limits of poaching. :wink:

Pushing the limits of poaching or the limits of fair chase? I think the latter is more likely. I don't doubt that there are a few animals in the books that were poached and may have been poached to get that person's name in the book but to say half may have been poached is a bold statment. Believe it or not, some hunters are actually skilled and worked hard for those animals, while others are just down right lucky for being in the right place at the right time. I have had my chance at one 'book' mule deer and one elk that may have been close but it was lack of experience that I didn't get them and pure luck that I even saw them. Put me in those situations now and you would see my face on Boone and Crockett trophy watch, no poaching required.

The media attention that often comes with book animals, at least top animals, is also a deterent from poaching as I believe people wouldn't want to have their name and photo plastered all over hunting websites and magazines if they poached the animal. Many very large animals are known to other hunters but can't harvest the animal due to it's location or season when it shows up, and if someone kills this animal and makes it public it will be highly scrutinized and you would be investigated and likely caught. Having said that I do know of an animal in the latest BC book that is ranked high in it's category that is rumoured to have been poached (CO's have been involved)...and the interesting thing is that the hunter included his story in the new book and that story is quite different from the original we all previously heard...I personally don't know the truth but I am curious to see if there will be any fall out.

I recall this one large non-typical Mule Deer that many people new about in Williams Lake but couldn't get as it was on private land all the time. I even saw it on someone's front lawn with about 20 does...If I went and poached that animal I certainly wouldn't be entering it in any contests or books as it would be recognized quickly and I would have been fined. I personally raise my eyebrows more when I hear of monster animals that the person wants to keep on the DL and won't enter in the books than one that is displayed all over the media...

Brett
01-19-2011, 06:22 PM
OK JML11 is in KILLMANS out...............

moosinaround
01-20-2011, 08:08 AM
We need Killman's money, he's in I say............................................

McSledder
01-20-2011, 08:43 AM
I think trying to have a HBC meet at a local pub would be a good thing to try again, new members (me), new year, why not get together meet some new people and swap hunting stories be good times

The only person I know out side of the forum for sure is Brett he was my boss kind of haha

Crys Shorty
01-20-2011, 09:42 AM
Killman is a `he`? wow, really didnt expect that. How bout next friday evening? (28th) Maybe 6ish, Moxies? Central for everyone and still gives time to get home to get other stuff done. Just throwing out an idea, gotta start somewhere. And for the competition, I have a local taxidermist (Rainbow Taxidermy) on board so we'll work out the details as time goes on.

jml11
01-20-2011, 10:18 AM
OK JML11 is in KILLMANS out...............

Not sure if you want me to be in...I missed a monster mulie (in my books anyways) last November and as a result know where he lives still. And he will be bigger next fall :mrgreen:

BCrams
01-20-2011, 10:45 AM
jml might not be sure if he wants to be in either if I pony up the buck(s) ... pun intended. :mrgreen:

ThinAir
01-20-2011, 12:24 PM
I'd be in. I enjoy giving money away:)

Krico
01-20-2011, 01:38 PM

You proved that on the weekend:mrgreen:

jml11
01-20-2011, 01:47 PM

Don't sell yourself short, you are a bow hunter and maybe this guy is still around? I did tell you where I found these didn't I :wink:. Of crap I forgot BCrams knows too...

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/jflex48/P5210008.jpg

killman
01-20-2011, 02:45 PM
Killman is a `he`? wow, really didnt expect that.

You sound disappointed. Where you looking for a date?:wink:

killman
01-20-2011, 02:46 PM
jml might not be sure if he wants to be in either if I pony up the buck(s) ... pun intended. :mrgreen:

Yes, no point in anyone entering now! Rams could you tell us once more how good you are.:wink:

Crys Shorty
01-20-2011, 03:26 PM
You sound disappointed. Where you looking for a date?:wink:

I dunno, if you look anything like your avatar I could consider swinging that way,... so cute you assume only men hunt:razz: