PDA

View Full Version : Winter Camping...What do you suggest??

roblikestohunt
01-16-2011, 02:53 PM
While as some of you know, My ex wife and i tryed to do some reconciliation,:neutral: Unfortunately things have not worked out and im considering some options, Kamloops is nice been here 12 years and know the country fairly well,Been in a hotel for almost a week,300 a week, and its nothing special thats for sure..:???: Considering doing some camping...Have a tent , good sleeping bag..coleman stove, Chainsaw, and guns..:-D What else would the more experienced members suggest? Need some good solid advice?/ Considering a few spots that i know well close to kamloops...any suggestions would be appreciated?:-D

Gateholio
01-16-2011, 03:11 PM
I suggest you rent a CABIN form our sponsor and go ice fishing. Done enough tenting in the winter to know the days are short and the nights are long.:-D

Singleshotneeded
01-16-2011, 08:29 PM
I'm all in favour of Gatehouse's idea, we've stayed in a cabin and ice fished the odd weekend, and it's peaceful, comfortable, and gets you away from the madding crowds...

Piperdown
01-16-2011, 08:36 PM
Rob maybe talk to the guys at Tunkwa. I am sure it is slow there now might get a good deal. Rich would probably like the company :biggrin:

brian
01-16-2011, 08:56 PM
depending how cold it is, get more bedding under you than over you. The ground sucks away your heat making for miserable nights.

M.Dean
01-16-2011, 09:02 PM
A real good tent heater! Gas and Oil, files for the saw, make dam sure it works good because if the Temp drop's, that saw will save your ass! Pick a lake with a decent plowed road close to it, you may have to hike into some if you don't have a sled. Snow shoes would be handy also. Lots of 22 shells, you may need them to eat! And, believe me, take salt and pepper and some garlic salt, sure makes some little critters taste better!!! Good Luck, keep us up to date!

beni
01-16-2011, 09:03 PM
Hey, Rob... I wish you the best buddy, I would recommend Tunkwa. I'm sure you could work something out with them. If not I wish that I could help you out with an extra room... if you are still around I know of an ice fishing derby on the 30th in Clearwater BC that I hope to attend if you would like to join =)

steve62
01-16-2011, 09:07 PM
you need to have a wood stove in the tent without heat you will not last long.

Alpine Addict
01-16-2011, 10:06 PM
Sounds like your well equiped. Don't listen to everyone else. Enjoy a little fire, tracking rabbits in the snow and tender squirel over an open fire. Im jeleous

hunter1947
01-17-2011, 03:55 AM
Radio phone for your truck ,snow chains ,spot tracking device ,warm boots ,get some good warm gloves ,warm closes ,shovel ,good splitting axe ,extra fuel in containers ,extra battery ,few tarps ,a first aid kit ,few gallons of diesel fuel makes a quick fire starter ,tell someone where you will be ,make sure you have a source of wood somewhere around where you camp.

roblikestohunt
01-17-2011, 09:07 AM
Thanks for all the advice...i will look in to a cabin at tunkwa...other then that i appreciate all the advice,Ive done some winter camping before and spent a lot of time in Camps up north and i yellowknife when im working so im no stranger to the cold or survival, Thanks again.

tomahawk
01-17-2011, 11:45 AM
With an Outfitters tent and wood stove with a table and cot and warm bag and lawn chair you could be quite comfy as well and camp where you want.

warnniklz
01-17-2011, 01:10 PM
If you do decide to tent it, I always put plywood under my tent then in my tent I go (from bottom up) wool blanket, air mattress, foamy, wool blanket, sleeping bag, wool blanket... Sleep in your sleeping bag and you should be good to go. Make sure you hang your sleeping bag everyday (as long as there's no snow or rain coming down) to dry it out.

A good lady next to you is always good for extra warmth too!